Austin's Domain North not a fan of darker tones

jimmyjazz

Anglo, Jews, or Asians please

photo

At Domain NORTHSIDE, we are proud to serve the residents of the Austin community and sincerely apologize for the insensitive and inappropriate language used in a document, which has since been removed from circulation and is no longer in use. These words do not reflect our values,  and we remain dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion. We will ensure that future efforts reflect the values of the community in which we live and work.

Yeah, that apology just isn't gonna work.

Well it's true.

All jokes aside I think it's in poor taste to put that in print in what looks like marketing material but maybe it's not? It's obvious the ethnicities are a function of the economic cross section of their target market. And realistically any type of researching material will have that information.

That document is obnoxious as fuck even without the ethnic part at the end.  Drives a 6-series to go out with her friends and a Range Rover during the day.  GMAFB.

Of all of it, that got me the most.

It looks like it was written by a recent college grad sorority bimbo who’s fantasizing about what life as “Consumer Barbie” would be like.

If there does exist a woman who meets that profile, I advise any man who meets her: RUN.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

- Earns $60,000 a year and spends $100,000 a year.

- Is hoping to catch a pretty WASP or Jew guy before the lease on that 6 Series is up and her 468 credit score forces her into a used Corolla.

- Thinks Matchbox 20 is classic rock.

- Shared an elevator with a black guy once and is still nervous about it.

- Works out like a champ so she can be a full-blown alcoholic and stay within 30 pounds of her ideal weight.

- Has the herp.

This describes me pretty accurately, except #2.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

- Is hoping to catch a pretty WASP or Jew guy before the lease on that 6 Series is up and her 468 credit score forces her into a used Corolla.

- Works out like a champ so she can be a full-blown alcoholic and stay within 30 pounds of her ideal weight.

- Has the herp.

-has that one token fat friend to make themselves look better

The Domain is a twat box and that piece of literature was, probably stupid at best, but not overtly racist.

Nevertheless, no one is going to stop shopping there because of this, no one's going to care, and probably shouldn't.

That said, I won't be one of the shoppers.  

Because the Domain is a twat box.

The Domain is a twat box and that piece of literature was, probably stupid at best, but not overtly racist.

Nevertheless, no one is going to stop shopping there because of this, no one's going to care, and probably shouldn't.

But - hear me out here - what if you need to go twat-shopping?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

^^^ That guy is correct. Unfortunately our Happy Hour group likes to meet at the "hipster" venues in the Domain for drinks & appetizers. And they like the Northside in particular.

At least the 8-10 of us elevate the mean age of the place whenever we are there. We also would've helped with race diversity if the only black guy in our group hadn't dropped out because of age & illness.

Am not looking forward to today's meet at Paul Martin's. Ate there earlier this month - overrated, overpriced, and terrible service. Oh well, we warned them.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Y'all seriously misunderstood my point.  To explicitly define whatever demo you're targeting and THEN say

is bullshit.  Yes, those words exactly define your values.

Yep.

And seriously, I didn't get a particularly racist vibe out of it.  I got a "shallow, vacuous, easily-manipulated consumer" vibe from it.  Which means it was 100% on-target.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Aren’t these pieces fairly common in the marketing world? 

Seems like an apology which wasn’t really necessary.     

It's an internal customer persona sheet that found its way into the wild.

http://conversionxl.com/blog/creating-customer-personas-using-data-driven-research/?hvid=2AD8ar

They have to apologize because their internal marketing strategy has been exposed and, surprise, they are targeting white trophy wives and white females in DINK households containing high level professionals. That document was in no way for wide distribution, but the cat is out of the bag. The Domain's research indicates that their best customer is described in that document and they will tailor the experience at the Domain to lure as many of those who fit that demographic as possible. That's marketing for you.

Seems the "Anglo, Jewish, or Asian" is fairly on the nose about excluding some folks.  And this whole thing reads like some sophomore marketing and media student's mid-term project.

Full disclosure, I work in advertising (so, close to home, etc.) and one of the stupidest aspects of what we do - and there are many - is creating an avatar of a real human that isn't real.  "Stay at home dad who is also an architect and loves hang-gliding, is taking sommelier certification courses, drives either a BMW (always a BMW) or a vintage Saab, works out 3-11 times per week, but enjoys a steak dinner with his friends on the weekends, and built his own coffee table / media credenza out of reclaimed barn doors."

Nonsense. All of it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Seems the "Anglo, Jewish, or Asian" is fairly on the nose about excluding some folks.  And this whole thing reads like some sophomore marketing and media student's mid-term project.

Full disclosure, I work in advertising (so, close to home, etc.) and one of the stupidest aspects of what we do - and there are many - is creating an avatar of a real human that isn't real.  "Stay at home dad who is also an architect and loves hang-gliding, is taking sommelier certification courses, drives either a BMW (always a BMW) or a vintage Saab, works out 3-11 times per week, but enjoys a steak dinner with his friends on the weekends, and built his own coffee table / media credenza out of reclaimed barn doors."

Nonsense. All of it.

Sez you.  I enjoy a steak on the weekends.

• Like 1

My great niece-in-law persuaded her husband (my great nephew) to move from their suburban house into a tiny apartment in the Domain because "they're our kind of people". She loves hanging out in the trendy bars with her whitebread girlfriends.

I kid you not. She is Latina.

Edited by Armybrat

I am not a huge fan of the Domain, but I do go there every so often just out of convenience. We live in NW Austin. The Nordstroms is nicer than the one at Barton Creek, The Dillards and Macys are better than Lakeline and Barton Creek. The lady loves her some Free People. We like several restaurants that are there.

I will say that I am typically not there at night. With that said, we went, sort of on a spur of the moment trip, on Saturday night, to Dick's to look at some paddleboards, and decided that since we were close, we'd go eat at Thai Kuhn.

At 9:00 PM on Saturday night, the Domain clientele is definitely NOT reflected by the flyer in the OP.  I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Y'all seriously misunderstood my point.  To explicitly define whatever demo you're targeting and THEN say

is bullshit.  Yes, those words exactly define your values.

This poses an interesting philosophical (or something) question.  Because you have determined (apparently empirically or somewhat so) a target demographic, and committed to attracting or serving same,  is that really reflective of "values."  Certainly it is reflective of something valued in the potential customer, but does it reflect "values"?  Does a commercial entity, especially one comprised of other commercial entities, such as a mall or shopping center, even have "values"?

Being a kosher or halal butcher reflects a certain sort of desired customer, for sure, and probably the religion if not religious values of the butcher, but  . . . .

Separate question, why on earth would the demographic of a commercial entity be described in such breathless, daytime TV language?

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This poses an interesting philosophical (or something) question.  Because you have determined (apparently empirically or somewhat so) a target demographic, and committed to attracting or serving same,  is that really reflective of "values."  Certainly it is reflective of something valued in the potential customer, but does it reflect "values"?  Does a commercial entity, especially one comprised of other commercial entities, such as a mall or shopping center, even have "values"?

Being a kosher or halal butcher reflects a certain sort of desired customer, for sure, and probably the religion if not religious values of the butcher, but  . . . .

Separate question, why on earth would the demographic of a commercial entity be described in such breathless, daytime TV language?

To your first point, business models should never be confused for values. I bet there are more than a handful of halal or kosher businesses out there that aren't run by strictly Muslim or Jewish entities. Money knows no race or religion. If it sells, someone will be selling it.

To your question, because it was probably a marketing firm that was hired by The Domain to do the research. They were selling themselves just as much as they were selling their research. But someone is losing their job over this getting out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Clearly they thought it was (perhaps incorrectly) reflective enough of their "values" to bring it up.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My great niece-in-law persuaded her husband (my great nephew) to move from their suburban house into a tiny apartment in the Domain because "they're our kind of people". She loves hanging out in the trendy bars with her whitebread girlfriends.

Pics of this latina por favor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orange^White said:

I am not a huge fan of the Domain, but I do go there every so often just out of convenience. We live in NW Austin. The Nordstroms is nicer than the one at Barton Creek, The Dillards and Macys are better than Lakeline and Barton Creek. The lady loves her some Free People. We like several restaurants that are there.

I will say that I am typically not there at night. With that said, we went, sort of on a spur of the moment trip, on Saturday night, to Dick's to look at some paddleboards, and decided that since we were close, we'd go eat at Thai Kuhn.

At 9:00 PM on Saturday night, the Domain clientele is definitely NOT reflected by the flyer in the OP.  I'll just leave it at that.

I can attest to this.  I used to work in an office building in the Domain until recently, and we shared our garage with the main garage for Rock Rose.  Definitely a lot more blacks and hispanics than this flyer wants to admit.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Coconuts are real.

15 hours ago, TexArcher said:

- Has the herp.

Uh, Elevator Black Guy is now numbered among the discrete set of her black friends.