Don't jump of a ship into the Caribbean

Dennis Taylor

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I grew up on the coast and with boats. I have a healthy fear of going offshore especially in smaller boats. Someone can absolutely do so safely but there are stories every year in Texas of tragic outcomes . A friend of my parents disappeared off Port A along with a couple of others. A few days later the boat washed up on St Joe's or Matagorda. 

I realize you can drown in a bay or lake but I like seeing land while on a boat.

Kinda similar. One thing that’s a constant is that people who aren’t around the water ALL the time— a couple weeks each year won’t cut it— is how properly fucked the ocean can make you even on the best of circumstances. 

First time I snorkeled was on a college graduation trip, off a tiny island in the Bahamas only accessed by an excursion boat.  I couldn't believe how effortless it was to just float and kick, and then the water got noticeably colder, and the current noticeably faster.  I spun around and that island was a postage stamp way off in the distance.  I lost my mind and just made a beeline back, and honestly I almost missed it due to the current.  I would have been a goner for sure. 

My "ocean" adventures these days are limited to chest deep, most likely with a beer in my hand, yelling at my dumbass kids to come back in to shore.

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So apparently around 400 people have disappeared from cruise ships in the last 20 years or so. And in a lot of cases there’s just no redress to seek at all. 

"Steven Schwartz returns to discuss all of the horrible things that happen on cruise ships, including fires, collisions, murders, sexual assaults (trigger warning!), suicides, medical malpractice, disease, and Mal de Debarquement Syndrome."

https://causticsodapodcast.com/2013/08/18/cruise-ships/

29 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So apparently around 400 people have disappeared from cruise ships in the last 20 years or so. And in a lot of cases there’s just no redress to seek at all. 

Re: the 18 year old on a booze cruise in the Caribbean, it still blows my mind that these trips get financed. When I was in high school every year a group of kids did a very unofficial “senior trip” to Cancun. My dad laughed me out of the house when I asked him to help me cover it. Kids at that age just make awful decisions and you can’t stop it and part of life is making them. But I don’t get encouraging it. 

I mean if you go overboard from a cruise ship you are likely deceased shortly after hitting the water unless you managed to nail the landing.

31 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Kinda similar. One thing that’s a constant is that people who aren’t around the water ALL the time— a couple weeks each year won’t cut it— is how properly fucked the ocean can make you even on the best of circumstances. 

Yeah the key is always experience and familiarity back when I was a scuba divemaster/instructor it was common for me to grab my gear and go diving after a hurricane had blown through when the visibility was absolute dogshyte just to stress test my compass navigation skills.  Would I do anything of the sort today after having been gone for so long?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We don't know that it was friends who dared him - it could have just been somebody who saw a drunk dude and took the opportunity to goad him into jumping

My BIL goaded my then teenaged nephew into eating 6 hot dogs during a cookout. "What, you ate 4 but you can't eat 6 of these? Weak!" I left not long after and I was told the aftermath was quite unpleasant. /csb

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

My BIL goaded my then teenaged nephew into eating 6 hot dogs during a cookout. "What, you ate 4 but you can't eat 6 of these? Weak!" I left not long after and I was told the aftermath was quite unpleasant. /csb

i bet your mom could eat 6 hot dogs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

"Steven Schwartz returns to discuss all of the horrible things that happen on cruise ships, including fires, collisions, murders, sexual assaults (trigger warning!), suicides, medical malpractice, disease, and Mal de Debarquement Syndrome."

https://causticsodapodcast.com/2013/08/18/cruise-ships/

I believe there is only 1 major cruise ship that's a US flagged vessel so most likely you're under Panamanian laws for most of your cruise. Is murder illegal in Panama?  The one exception is a cruise ship in Hawaii. It has to be under US flag as it never visits foreign ports between stops in the US. This is why you can't have a NYC to Miami direct cruise. It would have to stop in a foreign port first.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

I had a friend who worked on cruise ships for research for a book. He said a lot of the crew members were sketchy people from sketchy places trying to get away from sketchy situations. 

Probably true of all merchant vessels.  Fair number of Navy ones too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah the key is always experience and familiarity back when I was a scuba divemaster/instructor it was common for me to grab my gear and go diving after a hurricane had blown through when the visibility was absolute dogshyte just to stress test my compass navigation skills.  Would I do anything of the sort today after having been gone for so long?

You could have saved yourself some trouble and just joined the military if you wanted to dive like that. NOBODY takes fun stuff like hiking, parachuting/skydiving, SCUBA diving, along with a host of others, and fucks them up like Uncle Sam does...😂  ( disclaimer: but I did have a GREAT time while serving)

kick fighting GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i almost drowned once. nothing so dramatic but when my boys were younger, think maybe fourish?, we were in port a and me and the brother in law decide to show the boys the sandbar out there. With each of us having one of my sons on his back, we set off. 

gd we made it but only just. we had both reached the point of no return when our muscles just decided we were stupid and they weren't going to put up with our bullshit. 

i mean you go from strong confident swimmer to oh God am i gonna drown my kids and myself out here in stupidly shallow water? and it happens so fast. 

damn near. 

Scary shit with kids with you.

I was a really strong swimmer in high schoo through college— qualified for UIL state but not competitive, lifeguard trainer and open water qualified, Red Cross lifeguard competition state champ, April-October I was either on the island surfing/swimming or working in town at the pool. 

I almost drowned on SPI at 18 when a high school buddy who was much weaker decided to go out with me past the second sand bar on a day with a heavier swell. He got tired, I hooked my arm around him and started pulling him back.  It was father than it looked, he was heavier, and the surf higher.  He didn’t thrash or try to pull me under, I just had a moment where I realized I was literally over my head and had a moment where I almost ditched him. Felt the scrape of sand just below me when I was barely submerged and pushed through. 

Wake up for sure, best shape of my life and likely the person with all the tools to be there in that situation and I almost lost it.  Since then I don’t venture to that deep without a paddle or surfboard. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I mean if you go overboard from a cruise ship you are likely deceased shortly after hitting the water unless you managed to nail the landing.

I had dinner a few weeks ago with a recent Michigan grad who was on the dive team. She was telling me about all the fucked up situations and injuries that occur on the 10m platform when you miss a rotation or don’t land with your legs or hands together. She said one of her friends actually scalped herself on the edge of the dive platform.

18 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I had dinner a few weeks ago with a recent Michigan grad who was on the dive team. She was telling me about all the fucked up situations and injuries that occur on the 10m platform when you miss a rotation or don’t land with your legs or hands together. She said one of her friends actually scalped herself on the edge of the dive platform.

There are rules here, right? I'm pretty sure there are some rules 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:29 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so never more shall we see you again.

In this windy old weather

Stormy old weather

Boys when the wind blows

We'll all go together ...

On boat full of people in their late teens and early 20s it seems odd that only one cell phone video is available.  
Also, the people speculating that it was a shark in the same frame, wouldn’t someone have noticed a shark attack or him going under a second later?  

I guess the fact that it was a booze cruise likely explains those discrepancies.  

On 6/3/2023 at 10:40 AM, BearSchlong said:

Just wanted to point out that those Red Bull divers are crazy AF.

The guy I work with talked to 4 of his son’s friends who were also on that trip and they all think it was “suicide”. I didn’t have a chance to get any of the detail of why they think that, but that’s the latest from someone with a kid on that boat.