Traitor Hanssen dead at 79

cactusflinthead

fuck him.  The final tally is unknown but for absolutely sure, he and Ames got 2 agents killed, and probably some more. He helped blow multiple counter-espionage plans, and was actively working for the soviets for almost 20 fucking years.

He got to live 20 years in a cell, so I guess thats serendipity

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

The Ryan Philippe Robert Patrick Chris Cooper movie is pretty good, actually.

Damn, I think my mind was telling me who SHOULD have played Hanssen.  I like both actors, but consider Cooper to be a perennial good guy and Patrick T2.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

fuck him.  The final tally is unknown but for absolutely sure, he and Ames got 2 agents killed, and probably some more. He helped blow multiple counter-espionage plans, and was actively working for the soviets for almost 20 fucking years.

He got to die there too.

22 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Just reading up on all this.

He spied for over 20 years, at the risk of death penalty, which he ended up "only" getting 15 life sentences.

You'd think he would have gotten an amazing package for this right? Comp would be great. Well, he did all this for...wait for it.....

$1.4mm (and some diamonds).

Or essentially $70k a year. The guy risked his life for an extra $70k a year on top of his take home as an FBI agent. 

That's $93,333 per life sentence.

I just can't understand and conceptualize that sort of evil, much less stupidity.

Also I can't understand how, operationally and administratively speaking, one could be a spy for that long as well. But it sounds like this was not a case of letting the spy continue when you know they are, because the FBI paid $7mm from the KGB for the lead that broke his identity.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oof, reading Wikipedia entry I think I see how one could spy for 20 years. Sounds like the CIA/FBI can be pretty stupid:

When the USSR disbanded in December 1991, Hanssen, possibly worried that he could be exposed during the ensuing political upheaval, ended communications with his handlers for a time.[31] The following year, after the Russian Federation assumed control of the defunct Soviet spy agencies, Hanssen made a risky approach to the GRU, with whom he had not been in contact in ten months. He went to the Russian embassy in person and physically approached a GRU officer in the parking garage. Hanssen, carrying a package of documents, identified himself by his Soviet code name, "Ramon Garcia", and described himself as a "disaffected FBI agent" who was offering his services as a spy. The Russian officer, who evidently did not recognize the code name, drove away. The Russians then filed an official protest with the State Department, believing Hanssen to be a triple agent. Despite having shown his face, disclosed his code name, and revealed his FBI affiliation, Hanssen escaped arrest when the FBI's investigation into the incident did not advance

• Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Ryan Philippe Robert Patrick Chris Cooper movie is pretty good, actually.

Damn, I think my mind was telling me who SHOULD have played Hanssen.  I like both actors, but consider Cooper to be a perennial good guy and Patrick T2.

The DVD I have has the commentary track by Eric O’Neill. It’s pretty awesome.  

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

ADX Florence is worth than death, but why didn’t the government hang this guy?!

4 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Oof, reading Wikipedia entry I think I see how one could spy for 20 years. Sounds like the CIA/FBI can be pretty stupid:

When the USSR disbanded in December 1991, Hanssen, possibly worried that he could be exposed during the ensuing political upheaval, ended communications with his handlers for a time.[31] The following year, after the Russian Federation assumed control of the defunct Soviet spy agencies, Hanssen made a risky approach to the GRU, with whom he had not been in contact in ten months. He went to the Russian embassy in person and physically approached a GRU officer in the parking garage. Hanssen, carrying a package of documents, identified himself by his Soviet code name, "Ramon Garcia", and described himself as a "disaffected FBI agent" who was offering his services as a spy. The Russian officer, who evidently did not recognize the code name, drove away. The Russians then filed an official protest with the State Department, believing Hanssen to be a triple agent. Despite having shown his face, disclosed his code name, and revealed his FBI affiliation, Hanssen escaped arrest when the FBI's investigation into the incident did not advance

This.  The incompetency is staggering.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Never underestimate the US government’s ability to be incompetent. Quite frankly, #bothsides. This is why we can’t reliably compare some program in another country to something we want to implement here. We’re talking incompetence and political grift. A bad combination.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I gotta give you credit.  You’re consistent.  Of all the comments you could have made…very on brand to call out the United States vs the treasonous fuck or the god damned rooskies.  Your handlers must be proud.  

Edit:  also your past banned username - GRUhorn makes a fuckload more sense.  

Different guy. This is Chrispy/MeerkatBong.

MulletFree is ImmaculateVibes/GRU 

• Rage+1 2

7 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I gotta give you credit.  You’re consistent.  Of all the comments you could have made…very on brand to call out the United States vs the treasonous fuck or the god damned rooskies.  Your handlers must be proud.  

Edit:  also your past banned username - GRUhorn makes a fuckload more sense.  

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Never underestimate the US government’s ability to be incompetent. Quite frankly, #bothsides. This is why we can’t reliably compare some program in another country to something we want to implement here. We’re talking incompetence and political grift. A bad combination.

@ChiTownDoc here’s a couple more

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

From what I can gather from watching "Breach" and doing some reading about his treachery, Hanssen didn't do it only for the financial gain, but also because it really seemed to stroke his ego to know that his peers were looking for a mole right under their noses.  What an awful dude, hiding behind his religion while having Russian spies killed, our national defense compromised, and hell, even cheating on his wife.  

wellbye.gif

19 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Native Horn said:

From what I can gather from watching "Breach" and doing some reading about his treachery, Hanssen didn't do it only for the financial gain, but also because it really seemed to stroke his ego to know that his peers were looking for a mole right under their noses.  What an awful dude, hiding behind his religion while having Russian spies killed, our national defense compromised, and hell, even cheating on his wife.  

wellbye.gif

You are not ideological?

. . . I . . don't think so