Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

37 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We got some droopy cunts in this thread.

Glad to see this.   I had to miss the last six innings.  Caught the 9th with 2 out. 

I figured nobody needed to hear for me today.  I agree the horns showed incredible flight and heart in a rebuild year.  it’s what baseball Blue Bloods do. Just a fucked up unfortunate ending.

I did run across a photo of the droopy Cunts. 

3DF89443-0699-4E26-BD77-88020054F7C2.thumb.jpeg.fd8e9f07aa5272d232b18ddbffd7f216.jpeg

Fuck ‘em, and Hook ‘Em!

Lot of idiots in here tonight. Including those letting a murse who is notorious for shit takes in literally every sports thread get to you. Good season, shit luck, made it further than we should’ve this year. We make it to Omaha >50% of the time, not 100%. Poor us. See y’all next year. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I still can't even believe how that ended.

Good season, we overperformed, ahead of schedule, tip the cap to the coaches and players, and all of that.  We'll look back on this as a building block season toward bigger things.

But right now, fuck this feeling.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

Never seen Texas lose a game like that but can’t blame anyone for not catching a ball they can’t see due to lousy conditions.  Turn the stadium lights on and the ball gets routinely caught and it’s on to 10th inning.  

The lights were on.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

I'm not going to go back and read the last 20 pages since 11:00 last night, so maybe this has already been covered. It looks to me like Sunken Diamond has shorter light poles, like a high school ballpark. If a ball gets above the lights at that time of the evening, forget about it...it just disappears. I saw Stanford and aggy lose popups in the same conditions in the regional round. 

Sunken Diamond

AF1QipOGR4K0iGetrwFISqk8piok1Vv_lePYf-jM

Disch...Much taller light standards. 

AF1QipNC0Zb1cdNuqytU0UCjHD5QrR-OLgZ9BDc_

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm not going to go back and read the last 20 pages since 11:00 last night, so maybe this has already been covered. It looks to me like Sunken Diamond has shorter light poles, like a high school ballpark. If a ball gets above the lights at that time of the evening, forget about it...it just disappears. I saw Stanford and aggy lose popups in the same conditions in the regional round. 

Sunken Diamond

It is a high school field.  always has been.

• Hook 'Em 3

Helluva a season by a team, if we're being honest with ourselves, that really wasn't that talented.  These guys overachieved and I do not mean that as a jab of any sort.  So many missing parts, so many holes, gaps, deficiencies, etc, but like Mr. Lebowski they went out and achieved anyway.

I was equally impressed with Pierce's ability through the post season to push the right buttons.

All that said, it's time to step up your game in recruiting AND figuring out ways to keep pitchers healthy.  You feel me DP?  Figure that shit out and do it fast.

That is all.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sunken Diamond

Yeah, lots of guys lose high pop-ups at Sunken Diamond. Those are ridiculously low light standards for a major college ballpark.  Like Pony League level.  Nothing EK and company could do on that.  If it disappears you're fucked and there is no remedy beyond blind luck.

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Ok.  Seemed like neither EK or DC could see the ball so something was going on.

Pacific twilight and shorter, shittier light poles than your local softball fields at the city park. Almost worse than the old intramural field sodium lights.

Shouldn’t be allowed to host games at night if your “stadium” has worse lighting than many high schools. Seriously terrible lighting. Smithson Valley’s baseball field down the road from me has far better lighting standards.

Oh well, fuck ‘em.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Pacific twilight and shorter, shittier light poles than your local softball fields at the city park. Almost worse than the old intramural field sodium lights.

Shouldn’t be allowed to host games at night if your “stadium” has worse lighting than many high schools. Seriously terrible lighting. Smithson Valley’s field down the road from me has far better lighting for their field. 

Oh well, fuck ‘em.

Kyle Petersen should be proud his college has a little league field.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Helluva a season by a team, if we're being honest with ourselves, that really wasn't that talented.  These guys overachieved and I do not mean that as a jab of any sort.  So many missing parts, so many holes, gaps, deficiencies, etc, but like Mr. Lebowski they went out and achieved anyway.

I was equally impressed with Pierce's ability through the post season to push the right buttons.

All that said, it's time to step up your game in recruiting AND figuring out ways to keep pitchers healthy.  You feel me DP?  Figure that shit out and do it fast.

That is all.

Yeah, recruiting might not be where it ought to be. I think a lot of the appeal of Texas as a destination had fallen off quite a bit. Having Tulo on board was a big draw for non-pitching talent, but we didn't have a completely legit pitching coach with Allen.

As someone said way back a ways, credit to Pierce for getting rid of Allen. God knows we've seen a lot of coaches refuse to get rid of their pet assistants even when the need to do so becomes glaringly obvious.

Development of who we do have seems to be pretty good though, for the most part.  Although offense hasn't been completely glorious, we see a lot more .3xx averages than we ever saw in the late Garrido era.

Hopefully, the addition of Woody Williams helps attract some more solid pitching.  And he seems to have done pretty well developing who we have.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

That broadcasting crew was so embarrassing in the final innings. Straight up screamed nooooo when that ball went off the bottom of the wall.

Why can't petersen go call the Tennessee games or something?  it's ridiculous.  same shit happens when we play LSU.  it's fucking Ben McDonald(although he's not as douche as the standford fuck).

He should be embarrassed for his university.  2 OF's lose a ball in the (no) lights??   our light standards are twice as tall.  no wonder that shit kept happening in the regional.

37 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

the ball gets above the lights and you lose it.  it was about 8:40PM or so out there when it happened.  sunset is 8:30PM.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

It was just that time of day where the sky isn't bright enough or dark enough to pick out the ball.  And lights don't help.  From what I remember from high school, it's really only like that for a few minutes.  Just bad luck.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He should be embarrassed for his university.  2 OF's lose a ball in the (no) lights??   our light standards are twice as tall.  no wonder that shit kept happening in the regional.

Come on dude.  Have a little pride.

Stanford is the best all around university in the country -- by far.  We don't do embarrassment.  And the baseball field is quaint by big time standards but wonderful. 

I'm not happy -- I was rooting for Texas just a bit more than Stanford. 

• Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Stanford is the best all around university in the country -- by far.  We don't do embarrassment.  And the baseball field is quaint by big time standards but wonderful. 

Fucking bullshit. Go rah rah for Stanford elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Little League lights and Petersen....

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It was just that time of day where the sky isn't bright enough or dark enough to pick out the ball.  And lights don't help.  From what I remember from high school, it's really only like that for a few minutes.  Just bad luck.

Agree, just bad luck.  Texas outfielders were outstanding all season and perhaps the best unit.

30 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Would lights help if some of them are pointed skyward since their poles are shorter than normal?  No idea on such optics. 

There were about 15 different coin flip moments in that game and Stanford was the beneficiary of at least 12 of them. Texas got a few favorable calls in the 8th as the strike zone became the size of an apple, but other than that it was all Stanford. I still can't even believe they ruled that Flores HBP a foul ball or that the 3-2 pitch Morehouse threw in the 4th was called a ball that contributed to the 3 run inning.

• Hook 'Em 5

Hell of a year.  Agreed on the rebuilding year points and yet we were battling for a World Series spot until the end.  This team showed all of the inconsistencies and greatness of what it could be all year and we got a glimpse of it all this last series.  That does NOT include the last play.

I've spent time in the outfield in baseball and in softball.  You are going to lose a ball.  It is terrifying and helpless when it happens but it does happen.  Can't imagine what those dudes are going through.  But if you can't see it, you can't see it.    To be called 'chokers' says more about the people labeling them that.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Same thing in golf. There’s a set of conditions where the ball just disappears into the sky. You’re tracking it and it vanishes. 

35 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Check back in two years when the Pac explodes and Stanford is relegated to thr MWC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sunken Diamond

Somebody else said it is quaint. That is about right.

Smaller light standards with lights pointing straight down. Ball gets above them at twilight which on the west coast seems even more prominent and it disappears. Been to that field and watched games at that time frame and it's very easy to lose the ball. Last night, It wasn't just one guy, but 3 players. Fuck that softball field.

Proud of the team fo the way they fought back not once, but twice. A Hit in the earlier innings and tree is sitting at home. Extras, I feel the same. 

Hopefully we build from this and carry it forward to next year. Hook Em 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We definitely got screwed on some calls, but there is no bottom of the 9th if the ump didn't gift us that last run by not calling strike 3 twice.

Flores was hit twice, once before it hit the trailing forearm.  The ball clearly changes trajectory, whether from hitting his leading wrist or the knob of the bat.  They made the right call on Brown's HBP.  We got screwed on some pitch calls, but so did they. 

Had we won that game, it would have been a travesty to Stanford and their fans.  Losing it is one to us.  

But we're not a once-in-awhile program.  We'll be back and it'll be fun to watch them compete in the SEC.  Baseball is different down there.  They trash the game up a bit more than I like, but they can absolutely play some ball.  There is no doubt about that.  Texas is going to have to step it up a notch to be competitive week in and week out.

On to 2024.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I would say the same to Stanford and those in charge of that field/stadium -  C'mon, have a little pride.  And, yes, that shit is embarrassing no matter how it is spun.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dude seriously what the fuck was that shit

Petersen knows pitching and college baseball but make no mistake about him, he IS a condescending Stanford homer. And worst of all, he is probably the biggest TEXAS band wagoner when his freaking trees are sitting at home.

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Pitching Witt in the postseason was a mistake. 

Absolutely a mistake.

He's done.  It's time for Tanner to see what's next.  Love his heart, but it was never going to happen they way they wanted to will it to happen.

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Pitching Witt in the postseason was a mistake. 

Nah. There's no evidence to suggest starting an inconsistent Hurley for the first time in a month was a better option. If you don't throw Witt in the postseason all we would be thinking about in the back of our minds is what if his next appearance was when he turned the corner. It can happen at any moment coming off that surgery.

Even if he wasn't very effective, Witt working his way back and choosing to play for this team meant a lot emotionally to the rest of the guys. It mattered.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5