Tell me about ou

Texas007

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Testing the NIL waters akin to a coach letting his name slip out to restructure a better contract?  Either way, I love it...

Unpack this please

OU wants to play 5* Jackson Arnold next year, lest he transfer. He's dual threat with a bigger arm than Gabriel. Gabriel may follow Lebby to State because he is a veer & shoot QB.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RAMBONE said:

OU wants to play 5* Jackson Arnold next year, lest he transfer. He's dual threat with a bigger arm than Gabriel. Gabriel may follow Lebby to State because he is a veer & shoot QB.

Correct.  Arnold plays next year as a sophomore because of Lebby's inept roster management.  He wasn't going to burn another year watching DG underthrow WR's.  They also have a good HS player coming in that they seem to like.  It was time for DG to move on.

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I already thought Arizona was gonna wax them, but is OU gonna play this superman freshman in the bowl game? 

Yes and that's the smart thing.  Give him a month of practice reps and play the whole game.  He needs to be ready for next season.  It's a worthless exhibition game.

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yes and that's the smart thing.  Give him a month of practice reps and play the whole game.  He needs to be ready for next season.  It's a worthless exhibition game.

They get to eat the best breakfast tacos in the world and bunuelos. It’s not totally worthless.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Drool 1

I’ve posited that, in this era of few restrictions on NCAA football players mobility, the days of the hardass coach are numbered. WRT the Sooner OL exodus- is their OL coach a hardass? 

I know Stoops took pride in how demanding he was of his team- was it a mistake, in this era, for OU to try to recapture that magic?

I am amused by the Sooner reaction to Gabriel helping recruit OL Green to Oregon. Gabriel was their MVP the last two years, and they told him it was time to move on. How can he be so disloyal?

Really? You’re rolling with that- “recruits, when you commit to Oklahoma, it’s for life. Unless we want to drop you, in which case, go away quietly and don’t take anything with you. But, if you abandon us for a better opportunity, we will respond like Glenn Close in ‘Fatal Attraction’ “. 

What makes Okies’ self esteem so bad that they can’t handle any kind of rejection? Can you not see that the way y’all feel about Riley, about Durant, about Green, isn’t healthy?

Let it go. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Stoops famously bragged, “We coach them hard”. The entire staff, especially strength coach Schmidt, were notorious hardasses. Schmidt’s practices were borderline (and sometimes crossed the border) abusive. That was an era when there were significant barriers to switching teams in college football. 

Now, I can’t think of a major league with less barriers to switching teams than college football. That OU football, after getting the band back together, struggles to keep key players from portaling out is not a problem of the players, or the structure of college football’s portal system. It is a problem of OU football. 

The modern reality is that, now, football staffs have to recruit constantly- not just schoolboys and portal candidates-but all of the players on the roster they count on. 

College coaches don’t have to be “players’ coaches”, but they do have to treat players with respect, or their players will bounce. The right model is the successful NFL coach- firm, fair, honest communicator. 

OU has had a rough couple of seasons retaining OL. If you don’t think that hasn’t been noted by rival staffs, and pointed out to recruits from HS and the portal…

Or, maybe Sooner Nation can fix this by attacking players’ parents. Yeah, that’s the route we want to see. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

His dad inserted himself into the process.  When the OU coaches tried talking to him, he said "talk to my dad."

If the dad doesn't want heat, then stay away from the fire.

Are you a sooner fan?  Even if you are this is unacceptable.   I’d be embarrassed if we did that to someone.  We’re talking about a man’s business. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Y'all are surprised by this? This is coming from fans of a school that outwardly protected a football player that broke a girl's face. The school, Norman PD, and the business owner all cooperated to keep the footage from being released. 

Dusty Dvoracek literally almost beat his own friend to death in a bar in Norman and was dismissed from the team only to be allowed back a few months later. The guy spent five days in the ICU and was unconscious when he initially arrived at the hospital. 

I mean, shit, the school mascot is them gloating about being land thieves. 

Seriously. None of this should surprise anyone. 

Edited by ElChupacabra
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Are you a sooner fan?  Even if you are this is unacceptable.   I’d be embarrassed if we did that to someone.  We’re talking about a man’s business. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is a terrible take. I mean, it is breathtaking. 

Under no circumstances should a man's livelihood be threatened or damaged because of decisions he is helping his child make regarding colleges or teams. Get the fuck out of here with that idiotic bullshit. 

For better or for worse, college sports is like pro sports now but with fewer guardrails.  The kid's dad was acting as his effective agent and did not act in good faith.  If Rich Paul or Kawhi's uncle owned a series of sports bars in their respective cities, then you can most definitely expect them to be boycotted after their respective players left, fair or not.  

We may not like it but that's the way it is now.  In the "before times," you could say a college player doesn't owe anything to the fans but it's different now.  Maybe the dad can get more money from Missouri to cover his losses.  

So, yeah, a player and his family are now pro athletes and they need to be worried about PR, just like pro athletes are.  "His child" is now a professional athlete.

• Fuck You 4

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

For better or for worse, college sports is like pro sports now but with fewer guardrails.  The kid's dad was acting as his effective agent and did not act in good faith.  If Rich Paul or Kawhi's uncle owned a series of sports bars in their respective cities, then you can most definitely expect them to be boycotted after their respective players left, fair or not.  

We may not like it but that's the way it is now.  In the "before times," you could say a college player doesn't owe anything to the fans but it's different now.  Maybe the dad can get more money from Missouri to cover his losses.  

So, yeah, a player and his family are now pro athletes and they need to be worried about PR, just like pro athletes are.  "His child" is now a professional athlete.

When you put it that way, I guess you are right. His female relations probably deserve some rapey behavior, too; after all, we all know such things happen around big time athletes sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That is one of the most retarded takes I've seen on the internet in quite some time. And, that's impressive in its own right. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

So, if my 5 year old doesn't want to play for our local rec league the fans should ruin my business's reputation. Got it. 

Your 5 year old is not a pro athlete making millions per year.  Talk about a retarded comparison.....

Jesus.

These guys can't both pro athletes making millions per year on one hand and "a child"  on the other hand.

• Fuck You 3