The Texas Attorney General is being impeached, apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Amazing the deposits for $1.5mm & $1.5mm both occurred at 4:59p local time on a payday Friday.  While it looks like the PAC took 4 days to really study how best to deploy that $3.0mm, half the money found its way to Dan Patrick at 9:01a local time on the following Tuesday.  

1 business day.  Technically, just the one.  Which is conveniently the bare minimum amount of time to avoid most red flags for both political contributions and bank clearing.  Kind of a rush for a guy not up for re-election for 38 more months.  Well north of 3.5 years.  Geez, I hope Dan Patrick is okay health-wise and this wasn't some sort of rush job so he can complete his public service legacy to all of us fortunate Texans.

This isn't politics folks, this is banking calendars 101.  If you can't sort this in your head, you probably shouldn't be allowed to have a checking account.    

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Hayden Horn told me to post this here.

This should alarm the shit out of any citizen of Texas:

Pretty brazen to make these "donations" before the trial and not give the wink wink, nudge nudge and wait until it's completed.

'twas brazen.

Two reasons for when they did it:

1.  End of Q2 for their books.  Drawdown needed to happen before end of June.  This all happened conveniently right before then.  September trial would likely start before end of Q3.  Non-starter. 

2.  Millions of Texans could watch a youth pastor sodomize their child with Dan Patrick in the corner assuring them, "It's okay, at no time was his adult penis in a woman's bathroom nor tucked back for a drag show.  Let him do the Lord's will."  So I seriously doubt they give fuck one about the timeline or unabashed manner of all of these hijinks.  Deep down inside, most Texas men want to be ruled over.  I think we all can see that.  What I did not see coming, was them wanting to be dominated by a man who dresses from the L.L. Bean outlet store.......women's section.

Good lord, at least in Latin America...they wire the money to the U.S. or Caribbean before sending it directly to the politician.  They at least put a little mustard on the performance art.

• Hook 'Em 2

Let's keep this apolitical.  Just the news and the facts.  It is a legit news story when your top law enforcement official has all of this surrounding him.  I am waiting with baited breath for a non-CR poster to come on this thread and lay out why this is all pure conjecture and all the indictments and impeachment and pending trials are all political witch hunts by folks on the other side of the aisle.  Gentlemen, the floor is yours.

The motion also cites a Tuesday tweet from Johnson reacting to news that a pro-Paxton political action committee had recently given $3 million to Patrick, who is presiding over the trial. Johnson called the donation “obscene.”

The tweet not only proved Johnson’s bias but also violated a gag order Patrick had issued the day before, according to Paxton’s lawyers.

The Senate already disqualified Republican Sen. Angela Paxton — Ken Paxton’s wife — from voting in the trial when it approved rules for the proceeding last month. The chamber did so with a rule that said the “spouse of a party to the court of impeachment” has a conflict of interest.

“If Senator Paxton may be required to step aside, Senators that have demonstrated a bias or prejudice against the Attorney General must be required to do so as well,” Paxton’s lawyers said.

The impartiality of senators has long been a source of debate given that Paxton is a former senator himself, his wife currently serves in the chamber and they have their own relationships with senators. Sen. Bryan Hughes, R-Mineola, is even referenced in the articles of impeachment as an unwitting “straw requestor” for an attorney general’s office legal opinion that helped Paul. Hughes has not been disqualified.

Angela Paxton’s disqualification was the subject of a new lawsuit from Houston conservative activist Steve Hotze, a staunch Paxton supporter. Filed in Travis County district court Friday, the lawsuit argues that the trial rules unfairly singled out Angela Paxton because impeachment is an inherently political process, rife with potential conflicts of interest.

“Despite the fact that every senator and the Lieutenant Governor arguably have a conflict ‘personal or private’ interest in the impeachment proceeding and/or biases for or against General Paxton, Rule 31 targets one individual, Senator Angela Paxton, and the voters who live in Senate District 8,” the lawsuit said.

I guess buying the judge isn't enough for Wilks and Dunn?  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 6:38 AM, WBT said:

Cool apolitical thread, would read again

On 7/20/2023 at 6:25 AM, Hermanator said:

This isn't even political anymore. Politics means back and forth and compromise. 

This is just straight up organized crime. 

Wen apolitical laptop news thread? 

• Fuck You 18

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Cat Food GIF by Diamond Pet Foods

Is this the forum for whistleblower testimony from federal agency employees under oath in front of congress? That sounds like news/current events? Just want to make sure I know the rules and keep it apolitical. 

Edited by Lord Melbourne
  • Fuck You 20

2 minutes ago, Lord Melbourne said:

Is this the forum for whistleblower testimony from federal agency employees under oath in front of congress? That sounds like news/current events? Just want to make sure I know the rules 

Is someone stopping you, or are you just here to run your mouth and threadshit?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Is someone stopping you, or are you just here to run your mouth and threadshit?

I’m stopping myself. The point is there’s no “apolitical” thread about politicians being crooks or douchebags. Implying one side is uniquely crooked is dumb and the DT forum doesn’t need to be flooded by threads about politicians on both sides doing dirty shit. Grow up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 26

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We're so gotdam lucky that we have you, Mr. 35 Posts, to tell us how this forum should work.

Threads on this forum get political From time to time. Then they typically get moved. But you overtly post political things and act like if you put “apolitical” you’re all good. Epic trolling behavior. Don’t play dumb.

• Fuck You 20

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

the trial rules unfairly singled out Angela Paxton

It would be weird if the rules didn't single out a spouse who is also in elected office presiding as a juror over a case against their spouse. 

Unless Angela has sister-wives who were not dismissed from the case.  I think that's more newsworthy than political.  I wonder who gets Ken on Fridays?  

36 minutes ago, Lord Melbourne said:

Threads on this forum get political From time to time. Then they typically get moved. But you overtly post political things and act like if you put “apolitical” you’re all good. Epic trolling behavior. Don’t play dumb.

Curious how someone who joined this site 9 days ago knows what typically happens in this forum...

Epic trolling is correct

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 5:05 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If this takes down Dan Patrick the Democrats are gonna be pissed that they could have KO'd him all this time with just a $3 million donation from the right PAC.

Empower Texans never goes away, it just becomes another LLC and Michael Sullivan reaches a different final form/freiza 

• Haha 1

Politics aside, developments like this are NEWS to the rest of the country.  This effects our rule of law, the integrity of the cases he prosecuted, our bond ratings, how corporate relocations see us as potentially a negative.  Nothing major, but all these little papercuts across the board add up eventually.  It's just not a hot look especially when the people leading the impeachment and trying to convict him before the Senate are his own party.  Kinda like how the same party who appoints ERCOT attempts to blame ERCOT for grid failures.  When a one-party state starts to canibalize itself in front of the nation, that's beyond politics.  That's news because of what a major state we are.  Nobody gives a shit when Democrats do this to one another in Vermont or Republicans do this to one another in Nebraska.  But it's a big NEWS story when it happens in Texas and with such prominent statewide officials involved (AG, LG, State Senators, et. al.).  The story is also confounded by the FBI and Treasury/SEC being involved in this madness across two presidential administrations of different parties.  And of course being Texas, it also involves a real estate "developer" in very serious legal trouble involving an 8 to 9-figure ponzi scheme.  And the piece-de-resistance, this whole thing also involves money laundering for some rather shady entrepreneurs from down south---from a market vertical this AG swore he'd go after if re-elected.  The Senate trial is a Kangaroo court put on by his own Zookeepers.  What happens later this decade...that's the big kid table stuff.  

12 hours ago, Lord Melbourne said:

I’m stopping myself. The point is there’s no “apolitical” thread about politicians being crooks or douchebags. Implying one side is uniquely crooked is dumb and the DT forum doesn’t need to be flooded by threads about politicians on both sides doing dirty shit. Grow up. 

Lol whatever you say, GRUhorn. At least, I'm assuming it's you since your first posts were in the crypto thread, as is tradition. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Politics aside, developments like this are NEWS to the rest of the country.  This effects our rule of law, the integrity of the cases he prosecuted, our bond ratings, how corporate relocations see us as potentially a negative.  Nothing major, but all these little papercuts across the board add up eventually.  It's just not a hot look especially when the people leading the impeachment and trying to convict him before the Senate are his own party.  Kinda like how the same party who appoints ERCOT attempts to blame ERCOT for grid failures.  When a one-party state starts to canibalize itself in front of the nation, that's beyond politics.  That's news because of what a major state we are.  Nobody gives a shit when Democrats do this to one another in Vermont or Republicans do this to one another in Nebraska.  But it's a big NEWS story when it happens in Texas and with such prominent statewide officials involved (AG, LG, State Senators, et. al.).  The story is also confounded by the FBI and Treasury/SEC being involved in this madness across two presidential administrations of different parties.  And of course being Texas, it also involves a real estate "developer" in very serious legal trouble involving an 8 to 9-figure ponzi scheme.  And the piece-de-resistance, this whole thing also involves money laundering for some rather shady entrepreneurs from down south---from a market vertical this AG swore he'd go after if re-elected.  The Senate trial is a Kangaroo court put on by his own Zookeepers.  What happens later this decade...that's the big kid table stuff.  

There just comes a point wheres its impossible to bury your head in the sand or write it off as "well political people are all corrupt so who cares". It really isn't run-of-the-mill political corruption. It is the people of Texas being robbed blind and told lies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord Melbourne said:

One party has a monopoly on corruption and violence.  A monopoly doesn't mean the other party isn't immune from a few random bad actors, but when it is 95/5 split that is a monopoly and where the focus should be.  Crying whataboutism just shows how you are part of the low conscientious conservative traitors or a bad foreign actor.  Which we both know where you are.   

Go to the front lines you pussy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 7:39 PM, Lord Melbourne said:

Wen apolitical laptop news thread? 

On 7/21/2023 at 9:28 PM, Lord Melbourne said:

Is this the forum for whistleblower testimony from federal agency employees under oath in front of congress? That sounds like news/current events? Just want to make sure I know the rules and keep it apolitical. 

On 7/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, Lord Melbourne said:

On 7/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, Lord Melbourne said:

Whose fucking sock is this?

Nevermind.  Just saw this is another GRUHorn incarnate.  How fucking pathetic are you that you keep getting crowd sourced and then come back again, and again, and again.  Get a fucking life.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

No CR.  Leaving UT System offices as somebody is telling me more shit about AG.  Former Democrat who served under him has been compelled to talk about him and Nate Paul.   Didn't think much of it but apparently he was supposed to be there, but suddenly couldn't.  Very good news for health care and real estate in our fair city as most of you have heard.  But shit happens, we get busy, I get it.  Walking back past Nate's old offices.  Portable industrial shredder pulls in west side lot.  I couldn't help but remember the SEC/Treasury/Fed raid on his place awhile back, figured they got all the docs.  This former AG staffer could add to the record verbally, no need to shred stuff from an office that contains anything.  Then I remembered, Nate/WCC were allowed back there a few months ago to refurbish/stage the office for transactional purposes.  That particular property is not on the list of shit to be seized that the AG helped out with.  

When you're loading in equipment to clean out an older building...at night...in a place that's pretty much been written off as "yeah, we grabbed everything we needed outta there...it's just chairs and flowerpots now" by the Feds.  You can carry in more damming boxes of evidence to hide because it's the last place they'll ever look.  Suddenly a former AG assistant remembers some shit this week about Ken, and a document shredder shows up the same day at Nate's former HQ.   Probably a coincidence but as our friends in the international financial syndicates of Mexico like to point out frequently, "We believe in coincidences, we've just never seen one."  His impeachment trial in the Texas State Senate is the absolute least of his worries.  May god be with your fucking four eyed failure, because soon no one else will be.  

Impeached Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and now-indicted Austin real estate investor Nate Paul set up an Uber account under a fake name that Paxton used to see his mistress, revealing the extent of the men’s relationship as the FBI targeted Paul, a new filing in Paxton's upcoming impeachment trial contends.

Paxton, who is suspended from office pending the outcome of his Sept. 5 trial, used the account — under the name “Dave P” and jointly accessed by both men — to travel to the Pearl Lantana Apartments in Southwest Austin more than a dozen times between August and October 2020 to visit the woman, the filing from House impeachment lawyers says.

All the while, the filing contends, Paxton and Paul met about 20 to 24 times in the spring and summer of 2020 — and one late-night that fall — and discussed ways the state’s top lawyer could help Paul as the FBI ramped up its investigation into him.

Paxton “morphed the Office of the Attorney General into Paul’s concierge law firm,” the filing stated.

The alleged assistance from Paul adds to what House impeachment managers say are “bizarre ways” that Paxton helped Paul. Some of the allegations in the new motions have been previously reported, including that Paul also paid for a renovation to Paxton’s Tarrytown home and provided a job for his mistress, a one time Capitol staffer named Laura Olson.

But the new filing also makes multiple new assertions about Paxton, including the secretive Uber account.

What the public knew and did not know about Paxton’s alleged activities are of particular issue. He is seeking to have charges against him dismissed under the so-called “forgiveness doctrine,” which states that he may not face impeachment for allegations already known to voters when they elected him to a third term in November. 

The new filing contends that the public was unaware of the depth of Paxton’s behavior because his “denials, half truths and downright lies enabled him to conceal the truth from the public.” It says Paxton relied upon “burner phones and secret personal email accounts” and “frequently ditched his security detail so he could meet up with Paul and others.”

The documents also provide greater detail into allegations against Paxton and Paul that have been public for years. During a legal dispute between Paul and a local nonprofit, the Mitte Foundation, Paxton’s aides were puzzled when he appeared to take Paul’s side by pushing for a low-ball settlement. Paxton’s office, according to state law, is required to protect a nonprofit in litigation. Paxton, the filings say, announced he would personally argue a motion in court — an extraordinary move for the state’s top lawyer, who usually leaves such responsibilities to rank-and-file attorneys in his office.

“Mitte found itself negotiating with OAG, the agency legally tasked with protecting it,” the filing said.

This was not the only time House lawyers say Paxton tried to personally appear in a courtroom to benefit Paul. It happened again in late September or early October in a matter related to an investigation into the law enforcement agencies that had raided Paul’s home and business the year before.

Paxton hired through his office Brandon Cammack, an outside lawyer from Houston to investigate the authorities, over the objection of his top aides. When attorney general lawyers moved to quash subpoenas that Cammack obtained as part of his investigation, Paxton requested to appear in a Travis County courtroom to oppose the motion and explain that Cammack was acting on his behalf.

The subjects of nearly three dozen subpoenas sought by Cammack included banks and individual law enforcement agents — whose identities were revealed through a confidential affidavit that Paxton obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety and shared with Paul, the House lawyers say.

The filings also shed new light on the role Paxton played in trying to halt a foreclosure sale that included Paul’s properties. Citing the COVID-19 pandemic, in August 2020 Paxton’s lawyers issued a rushed legal opinion that sought to block the sale from going forward. But the filings say that Paxton’s lawyers had initially come to a different conclusion — that the sale could go forward — before Paxton communicated “this is the wrong answer.” Paxton, the lawyers say, told them to rewrite a draft to say foreclosure sales should be stopped, and then edited it himself. The next day, Paul filed the opinion in a letter to a judge, arguing that an upcoming sale should be stopped.

“It is hard to imagine a more blatant abuse of Paxton’s office,” the House lawyers said.

The filings address a Paxton home remodel that House lawyers say was paid for by Paul. On Sept. 29, days before Paxton’s aides would report his alleged misconduct to the FBI, House lawyers say Paxton coordinated with the trustee of his blind trust to wire a payment to Cupertino Builders.

The business was not authorized to do work at that time. But more problematic is its connection to Paul, House lawyers say. The corporate officer is Raj Sagiraju, a friend and employee of Paul’s real estate company. Independent financial experts in other litigation identified Cupertino Builders as a recipient for fraudulent transfers made by Paul.

In an exchange previously made public, House lawyers note that a Paxton assistant was present in Paxton’s home when Paxton discussed the remodel with the contractor. After Paxton discussed changes that would add to the project’s cost, the contractor responded, “I will check with Nate.”

The contractor emailed Paul photos of Paxton’s newly finished floors, the filings show.

Is this "forgiveness doctrine" a real legal thing or something he just made up in his duties as Attorney General?

Yeah man, Dave's not hear right now man.  

JFC, the drivers of many of those Ubers were put onto the ride-share platforms by the people you owe money to and are going to convict you but you thought going by "Dave P" was going to throw them off the scent of your pickup address, dropoff address, and the fact you had recorded conversations regarding money laundering the backseat?  I mean, are we even trying anymore as a society?  No CR, but I miss when criminal politicians put in a little effort to look like they wanted maintain some modicum of theater.  An international criminal syndicate you and Nate lost money for through bullshit real estate dealings has eyes and ears on your at all times, but "Dave" was gonna throw the whole ruse aside because you had a 4.8 uber rating?  How is any of this fucking possible?  We are the dumbest fucking state now.  Officially.  And spoiler alert, when I  leave .  result is about same.  

I mean, in any other timeline, this champion of Christian family values would have been run out of town on a rail long ago:

Texas lawmakers disclosed the affair on the day of the impeachment vote, revealing that Paxton had cheated on his wife and professed love for Olson in 2019. Olson has been involved in politics as a member of the Bexar County Republican Women and has been seen in photos with Texas Governor Greg Abbott and Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick.

Olson, a four-times-divorced mother of two, has been in an on-and-off relationship with Perry since 2019. She supported Perry after his arrest for the alleged hit-and-run in November.

This is all fascinating to watch unfold.  And to realize that absolutely nothing matters anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 6:30 PM, YGIFS said:

No CR.  Leaving UT System offices as somebody is telling me more shit about AG.  Former Democrat who served under him has been compelled to talk about him and Nate Paul.   Didn't think much of it but apparently he was supposed to be there, but suddenly couldn't.  Very good news for health care and real estate in our fair city as most of you have heard.  But shit happens, we get busy, I get it.  Walking back past Nate's old offices.  Portable industrial shredder pulls in west side lot.  I couldn't help but remember the SEC/Treasury/Fed raid on his place awhile back, figured they got all the docs.  This former AG staffer could add to the record verbally, no need to shred stuff from an office that contains anything.  Then I remembered, Nate/WCC were allowed back there a few months ago to refurbish/stage the office for transactional purposes.  That particular property is not on the list of shit to be seized that the AG helped out with.  

When you're loading in equipment to clean out an older building...at night...in a place that's pretty much been written off as "yeah, we grabbed everything we needed outta there...it's just chairs and flowerpots now" by the Feds.  You can carry in more damming boxes of evidence to hide because it's the last place they'll ever look.  Suddenly a former AG assistant remembers some shit this week about Ken, and a document shredder shows up the same day at Nate's former HQ.   Probably a coincidence but as our friends in the international financial syndicates of Mexico like to point out frequently, "We believe in coincidences, we've just never seen one."  His impeachment trial in the Texas State Senate is the absolute least of his worries.  May god be with your fucking four eyed failure, because soon no one else will be.  

200.gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Is this "forgiveness doctrine" a real legal thing or something he just made up in his duties as Attorney General?

Sec. 665.081. NO REMOVAL FOR ACTS COMMITTED BEFORE ELECTION TO OFFICE. (a) An officer in this state may not be removed from office for an act the officer may have committed before the officer's election to office.

(b) The prohibition against the removal from office for an act the officer commits before the officer's election is covered by:

(1) Section 21.002, Local Government Code, for a mayor or alderman of a general law municipality; or

(2) Chapter 87, Local Government Code, for a county or precinct officer.

I think there's two ways to look at this.  One is acts performed while not in office and prior to election to office, but not re-election.  The other is that it includes re-election and acts performed while in office, on the theory that voters elected him anyway, assuming they knew about the acts.

I don't think there's any law interpreting this language.

Edited by TwiceHorn

You will forget more law tonight than I will ever know.  But Sec. 665 doesn't mention one thing in particular.  Foreign nationals don't care about it.  The mistress flipped.  And Nate will by the end of the month.  He will serve out his term and he will spend the rest of his very short life looking over his shoulder using whichever of those fucking goofy ass eyes actually work.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hadn't seen this:

Paxton’s lawyers held a news conference in June in which they sought to show Paxton paid for the home renovation by producing a bank statement that raised additional questions. A wire transfer to a contractor for $121,000 was dated Oct. 1, 2020 — the same day Paxton’s aides signed a letter informing the head of human resources at the attorney general’s office that they had reported Paxton to the FBI, The Associated Press reported. 

The payment was to Cupertino Builders, a corporation that did not form in Texas until weeks after the money transfer. The company's manager is Narsimha Raju Sagiraju, a convicted felon who had done work for Paul and had an email with Paul’s company, the AP reported. A court report in a Paul bankruptcy proceeding says Cupertino received 12 fraudulent transfers from Paul totaling $297,000. The reports says the transfers were likely used to delay creditors from collecting debts from Paul's companies.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/state/2023/06/23/texas-ag-ken-paxtons-body-man-revealed-info-spurring-bribery-charge/70346406007/

Edited by Beau Vine

This trial is being carried by national news outlets online and on television.  And it's mainly out of interest in watching one party devour its own.  Obviously there are political elements at play, but when huge swarths of the United States are watching just one trial in one state for days on end, sorry that's not Cloak Room...that's called News.  Which is what I think this forum regards.  Many in Texas are dismissing it out of hand, but there are hordes of people of all political stripes with eyes firmly on the building just a few miles from me.  

And for some reason, there's deep interest in this trial from our friends and neighbors in Mexico.  

Is ERCOT taking this hot-ass day off from work so they could run over to the Capitol to run this trial?  Because this is a "both sides" delta clown flight of a shitshow.  Greatest State in the history of 'Murica and all that aside, I've seen more decorum, legal knowledge, and impartiality at the Laotian State University "Mock Trial Weekend" (GO FIREBACKS!) 

• Haha 1

The presiding Judge over this trial, has over his right shoulder-Nathan Hecht.  noCR-the Supreme Court of Texas' Chief Justice.  A Yale graduate, Naval Officer, and despite any political/policy objections-a man who all sides agree is a deliberative, learned, and insightful jurist.  Justice Hecht's ability to run a courtroom, analyze objections and motions on the fly with deft insight and deference to precedent and future implications at once, is not in question.  He has on more than one occasion, navigated our beloved state through uncharted legal waters.  

And what does the presiding Judge of this Senate trial do each time he gets confused or is unsure of himself?  Does he solicit advice from Justice Hecht?  Or does he remember that his own legal expertise stems from once maneuvering some code enforcement guidelines regarding chicken wing fryers at a sports bar he was involved with?  Ah yes, this is the way.  

Once again, we are not being laughed with.  We are being laughed at.