Parents spend $4000 on Consultants to help daughters get into Sororities

crash_davis

One of my sister’s nieces is just finished her freshman year at UGA.  From the way I overheard it being talked about, it sounds like she used this lady's services.  She got the one she wanted. She is currently spending the summer house sitting in Beverly Hills with a few of her sorority sisters while another spends the summer in Europe with her family.  So maybe worth it?

I look forward to seeing her on the Sugar Baby thread in a couple of years.
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Be blonde, skinny, and pretty. Them's the rules. That'll be $2,000 (friends and family discount).

PS. I know the rules you're referring to, here the pic. OP's daughter looks like this, as do the rest of them.

Alabama president tells sororities they must create new chance for black  women to rush

Brunette on the front row is the hottest of the group.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Are they still getting rid of frats/sororities?  That seemed to be a trend a few years ago, with positive results regarding graduation rates and GPAs.  I can't see it disappearing in southern schools anytime soon, as it's so intertwined with the culture.  Not sure how the pandemic impacted things.

I was in a fraternity and remain friends with some of the guys decades later, although I am closer to other friends from university that weren't in the fraternity.  It was a positive experience, but I would have had just as good of a time without it.   I'm hoping my kids avoid it, as it tends to be more of a distraction than anything else, and I don't really see a net positive for most folks unless your hope for your kids is a house in the burbs, a job in middle management, and a mediocre marriage.  Some buck that trend, but it seems to be the default position (perhaps this is simply the case for all college grads). If my kids go the greek route, I'll support it, but I'm sure as hell not dropping $4k for consulting.   It was always a form of purchasing a guaranteed social life, which has some merit if you're awkward and don't meet people easily, but paying a consultant is next level nonsense.  Ultimate FOMO drives membership these days, imo, and especially now you're not really missing out on anything that can't happen outside of the system. In the old days it was a bit more of the only game in town. Good on anyone with a consulting business like this milking a generation of parents more involved with Facebook than their kids.  It's a bit of a snake eating it's own tail situation, but more power to them.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Be blonde, skinny, and pretty. Them's the rules. That'll be $2,000 (friends and family discount).

PS. I know the rules you're referring to, here the pic. OP's daughter looks like this, as do the rest of them.

Alabama president tells sororities they must create new chance for black  women to rush

As my son would say, a bunch of girls so basic that if you threw them all into a vat of acid you'd get salt water.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Bama Chick gets it, this is spot on imo.  I have a daughter at AU, pledged last year and is heading back to Auburn for rush next week. According to her, grades were a weed out for sure, I  asked if she was going to look after one of her incoming freshman buddies from our town, but her first comment was she doesnt have the scores/grades to get into her house.  So fwiw , grades, social media and charity work through HS are super important.  All in all, a very positive experience for her.  I was in a frat at Texas and still hang out/communicate with 15-20 guys ive known since fall '88 and we're pushing mid-50s now. 

Nearly everyone who goes to college makes their lifelong friends there, Greek or not.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Bama Chick gets it, this is spot on imo.  I have a daughter at AU, pledged last year and is heading back to Auburn for rush next week. According to her, grades were a weed out for sure, I  asked if she was going to look after one of her incoming freshman buddies from our town, but her first comment was she doesnt have the scores/grades to get into her house.  So fwiw , grades, social media and charity work through HS are super important.  All in all, a very positive experience for her.  I was in a frat at Texas and still hang out/communicate with 15-20 guys ive known since fall '88 and we're pushing mid-50s now. 

My experience as well and I’m 61.  I meet with a large group of my fraternity brothers at least once a year for a golf weekend and my best friends are guys I met in the fraternity and at other fraternities at UT. Early 80’s UT Greek life was a blast.  However, no way in hell would I pay $4k for a consultant.  But my daughters were legacies and had no trouble getting in.  If you are a legacy at UT they have to cut you very early—I think the first day, and if they don’t you are in unless you choose another sorority and that happens occasionally.  
it’s pretty much the same for my wife.  She is still very close to many of her sorority sisters and a few girls in other sororities that she met at UT.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I knew these kinds of consultants existed, but I didn't realize they charge more than admissions consultants do.  And maybe in the South, it's not the case---but in much of this country, where you went to school is a fuckton more important than what greek organization you were involved with.  

There's a whopping two guys from my fraternity I still talk to regularly (both live far away-Seattle and Tampa).  Most, close to all, of my friends from college whom I'm still close with, were not in any fraternity.  Maybe it's different for folks born immersed in that culture, I dunno.  I'm still weirded out when somebody near 50 years of age asks me, "Were you greek in undergrad, or?"  I don't really ever give it much thought one way or the other.  

Only time I took a vehement stand was one of my younger cousins was off to Tech and her and her mother were asking me about greek life.  I bit my tongue as long as I could, but they kept asking.  First off-it was a fucking miracle she got accepted to Texas Tech.  There's reach schools and then there's her getting into Tech when we thought community college was gonna be a stretch for her.  Plus she has a real penchant for drama.  So right away, I'm thinking any time not spent studying is gonna be a mistake.  And the family struggles financially to keep her in school even with her working year-around and some small loans.  But she and her mom were convinced Greek life unlocks this mystery world of c-level jobs and private jets to Paris.  I also warned them about the expense.  not just the dues but it's $50 this week for this and $200 next month for that and it never fucking ends.  But the real concern I frankly had was the time commitment.  She's not good at time management and she needs every hour not at work or sleeping to be focused on academics.  But they ignored me and she constantly complains about this subcommittee taking up too much time and alumni events taking up her weekends and formals and games and mixers and being a big sister and community service and all this shit taking up 20+ hours a week of hers.  She's gonna somehow graduate in 5 years but I can tell she regrets it for the most part.  No point to my story other than yeah there's dangers and cliches to it and it's expensive but Greek life can just take a fuckload of time, too.  And not spent doing anything particularly fun or life-changing.  Just busy work to make the chapter look "engaged."  To each their own, I guess in Lubbock it helps pass the time.  

My older sister's son really wants to come to Texas in a few years.  And of course she does research on greek life here and what fraternity she wants him to be in.  She was shocked to see Greek life is only about 15% of our student population.  I said it'll probably be closer to 10% by the time he's a college Sophomore.  All her friends who went to University of Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, etc.-they were all Greek as was 50%+ of their student body.  She wondered what was wrong with UT, why so few participate in Greek life and if that would take away from his undergraduate experience only having such a small portion of students engaged in frats.  I asked her to notice the difference in all those college towns she named and Austin.  If I was living in Urbana, IL or West Lafayette, IN and suicide wasn't an option, then yeah-I'd be camped out overnight to pledge my first day of classes so I had something to fucking do for fun.  But Austin is one of the most fun cities for 20 somethings in the Continental United States.  Join a frat if you want to, but holy shit-if you're having a hard time finding something fun to do, Greek Life ain't gonna help you, the problem is you.  I bet a lot of kids show up here meaning to join one and then after a few months of festivals, lakes, music, bars, and outdoor recreation-they realize that it's just another timesuck and pulls cash outta their pockets better spent on other fun shit.  /rant

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I knew these kinds of consultants existed, but I didn't realize they charge more than admissions consultants do.  And maybe in the South, it's not the case---but in much of this country, where you went to school is a fuckton more important than what greek organization you were involved with.  

There's a whopping two guys from my fraternity I still talk to regularly (both live far away-Seattle and Tampa).  Most, close to all, of my friends from college whom I'm still close with, were not in any fraternity.  Maybe it's different for folks born immersed in that culture, I dunno.  I'm still weirded out when somebody near 50 years of age asks me, "Were you greek in undergrad, or?"  I don't really ever give it much thought one way or the other.  

Only time I took a vehement stand was one of my younger cousins was off to Tech and her and her mother were asking me about greek life.  I bit my tongue as long as I could, but they kept asking.  First off-it was a fucking miracle she got accepted to Texas Tech.  There's reach schools and then there's her getting into Tech when we thought community college was gonna be a stretch for her.  Plus she has a real penchant for drama.  So right away, I'm thinking any time not spent studying is gonna be a mistake.  And the family struggles financially to keep her in school even with her working year-around and some small loans.  But she and her mom were convinced Greek life unlocks this mystery world of c-level jobs and private jets to Paris.  I also warned them about the expense.  not just the dues but it's $50 this week for this and $200 next month for that and it never fucking ends.  But the real concern I frankly had was the time commitment.  She's not good at time management and she needs every hour not at work or sleeping to be focused on academics.  But they ignored me and she constantly complains about this subcommittee taking up too much time and alumni events taking up her weekends and formals and games and mixers and being a big sister and community service and all this shit taking up 20+ hours a week of hers.  She's gonna somehow graduate in 5 years but I can tell she regrets it for the most part.  No point to my story other than yeah there's dangers and cliches to it and it's expensive but Greek life can just take a fuckload of time, too.  And not spent doing anything particularly fun or life-changing.  Just busy work to make the chapter look "engaged."  To each their own, I guess in Lubbock it helps pass the time.  

My older sister's son really wants to come to Texas in a few years.  And of course she does research on greek life here and what fraternity she wants him to be in.  She was shocked to see Greek life is only about 15% of our student population.  I said it'll probably be closer to 10% by the time he's a college Sophomore.  All her friends who went to University of Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, etc.-they were all Greek as was 50%+ of their student body.  She wondered what was wrong with UT, why so few participate in Greek life and if that would take away from his undergraduate experience only having such a small portion of students engaged in frats.  I asked her to notice the difference in all those college towns she named and Austin.  If I was living in Urbana, IL or West Lafayette, IN and suicide wasn't an option, then yeah-I'd be camped out overnight to pledge my first day of classes so I had something to fucking do for fun.  But Austin is one of the most fun cities for 20 somethings in the Continental United States.  Join a frat if you want to, but holy shit-if you're having a hard time finding something fun to do, Greek Life ain't gonna help you, the problem is you.  I bet a lot of kids show up here meaning to join one and then after a few months of festivals, lakes, music, bars, and outdoor recreation-they realize that it's just another timesuck and pulls cash outta their pockets better spent on other fun shit.  /rant

Yeah we're going to need to see pics of the girl with grades so bad tech was a reach, but managed to get into a sorority.

She has to be thermonuclear hot.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

She's very cute, she looked like a blonde version of the middle sister from "Modern Family"  Unfortunately, between the freshman 15 and her sorority's penchant for day beers 'n pizza in lieu of yoga class, she's kept on some weight.  But no pics, sorry.  But in seeing some her sorority pics, her chapter definitely is not held to the same appearance standards as your Texas State or Ole Miss or Georgia.  Different kinda show up there in Lubbock, I suppose.  

West Campus is now mostly non-Greek as opposed to when we went to undergrad when it was probably 50/50, due to both the increase in high-rise student housing and decline in Greek participation.  I have no data to support this other than I no longer see any 2-door Chevy K-Blazers or Tahoes with a Pat Green sticker on the rear windshield and tennis ball on the radio antenna.  

am i crazy to think that this chick looks an awful lot like a 20 year old you?  is that you?

lol no

That’s Hannah Brown - she was “The Bachelorette” a few years back. She was an Alpha Chi at Bama.

I’m a brunette with olive skin and blue eyes - we maybe have a similar face shape.
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Not to hijack, but asking for a nephew. Which is the better frat at Bama these days? Sigma Chi or Pikes?

Not sure between those two, but it’s the SAE’s Alpha chapter.  Their house looks like a nice country club’s main clubhouse.  I’ve heard they are a very good fraternity there.  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 10:49 AM, 'stache said:

Exactly zero of those chicks look like they would enjoy giving head much less be open to bringing another chick into the bedroom.  Maybe the brunette, front and second from the right if you filled her with enough box wine.

If that's who you were after in college, I know you wear pleated khakis for work and leisure.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Not to hijack, but asking for a nephew. Which is the better frat at Bama these days? Sigma Chi or Pikes?

No info on the Pikes, but back in my day the Sigma Chi's were like Medici patrons of the arts in that they would commission cartoon banners and pay cash for them as well as invite the artist to eat and of course come drink beer at the party where the banner was unveiled. Usually an Otis Day and the Knights type band and lots of dudes standing around talking about what their dads did. Hi, my dad's a biker, yes I would like another beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Exactly zero of those chicks look like they would enjoy giving head much less be open to bringing another chick into the bedroom.

1 -- 4 of them are into just that.

2 -- they just don't know it yet.

3 -- They'll realize it when you teach them and reveal their own desires to them.

4 -- but there's no way of knowing which 4 of them we're talking about.

Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- 4 of them are into just that.

2 -- they just don't know it yet.

3 -- They'll realize it when you teach them and reveal their own desires to them.

4 -- but there's no way of knowing which 4 of them we're talking about.

Good luck.

Sela Ward ain’t walking through that door.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Wait, they look at grades?  Like high school grades?

I don't remember grades coming up much when I was going through rush.  Granted it was the 80s and fraternity rush, but damn.

I just assumed sorority rush was some internal super secret ranking scale of hot, daddy's money, and legacy, with different sororities giving different weight to each metric 

• Like 1

$4k seems cheap as shit when you factor in the member dues and housing costs. Fuck it, throw in tuition costs. So you’re spending like 5-10% of the total cost of attending the college. Seems like a good return on your investment considering the possible networking,“friends”, job prospects, fucking opportunities, etc..

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

On 7/25/2023 at 1:09 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/25/2023 at 12:52 PM, Longhornsnus said:
What is the value proposition for wanting your daughter to be in a sorority, again? Is it solely trying to put her in the best light for a potential husband who can provide a higher probability of success/comfort?
That feels a bit...barbaric. But I'll allow it, we are but barbarians in silks styled by Italians.

I have the same question. I don't understand the point of any of it.

one of my cousins met her extremely wealthy husband because her sorority and his frat always did events together

Damn right.  Sela don't walk.  She slinks, sashays, and stuns.

I'm about to leave for Houston for a medical procedure (cataract surgery) and had trouble sleeping so I took a 5mg valium at midnight.

What followed was a fever dream where I built an Americana (think American Pickers) themed amusement park and Sela and her family came to the opening and I spent all day with her trying to get an acceptable selfie, the entire time thinking “Brisket is gonna think this is so cool, I wish he were here!” while acting appropriately nonplussed. For the record, she and her family were cool and down-to-earth as could be, at least in my dream.
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

One of my sister’s best friends started a business like this about 5 years ago. After COVID, she decided to raise her prices to see what happened and her business actually increased. She just bought a $1m+ house in central Austin. She’s 32 and single.

Good gig if you can get it.

2/1 no garage?
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Exactly zero of those chicks look like they would enjoy giving head much less be open to bringing another chick into the bedroom.  Maybe the brunette, front and second from the right if you filled her with enough box wine.

If that's who you were after in college, I know you wear pleated khakis for work and leisure.

I’m just here to say that I have a strong feeling bottom left could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. 

11 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I'm about to leave for Houston for a medical procedure (cataract surgery) and had trouble sleeping so I took a 5mg valium at midnight.

What followed was a fever dream where I built an Americana (think American Pickers) themed amusement park and Sela and her family came to the opening and I spent all day with her trying to get an acceptable selfie, the entire time thinking “Brisket is gonna think this is so cool, I wish he were here!” while acting appropriately nonplussed. For the record, she and her family were cool and down-to-earth as could be, at least in my dream.

If I'm having a dream about Sela Ward, a selfie is not going to be my goal. And I can guaran-fuckin-tee you that @Brisketexan will not be a part of the story. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

If I'm having a dream about Sela Ward, a selfie is not going to be my goal. And I can guaran-fuckin-tee you that @Brisketexan will not be a part of the story. 

Look, the fact that I have now shown up in a Surlster's dream is going to bother me for a long, long, long time....no need to keep bringing it up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, Bama Chick said:

As an alumni of an Old Row house at Bama and with a daughter in a sorority at AU, I probably have a little more insight.

These consultants are worth it for out of state girls rushing at big Greek schools (Alabama, UGA, Auburn, Texas, TCU, LSU, Purdue, Wisconsin etc).

If your daughter is staying in state and rushing - don’t bother. The active members already know about your town, your school and their reputation.

Legacies don’t mean shit any more.

Last year my sorority had more legacies than they had spots. If they want you and you’re a legacy, that’s a bonus. But legacies get a courtesy invite to the second round and then most get cut - I’d say 50-60%.

The first round cuts are made strictly on grades. My sorority cuts anyone with below a 3.5 automatically. And the more popular houses have to make deeper cuts. It’s all done by a computer algorithm.

The biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - thing for girls going through rush is to clean up their social media and post pictures with variety and purpose and with a cohesive aesthetic- fun with friends (but no drinking and wild partying), family pictures, doing volunteer work, sports photos, pictures with their pets, doing stuff with their church etc.

And do it starting in your sophomore and junior year in high school. And go all the way to the first ever post for review. The sororities start looking at upcoming in state girls at least a year before.

And clean up comments - delete anything with cussing or any fights.

There’s a lot more but most alumni who live in the state can consult with these girls and give the same advice as these professional consultants.

If any of y’all ever have a daughter going to Bama or Auburn and are planning to rush, DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

I’ll only charge $800 lol

How much is a consultant that works with girls to set their aspirations higher than Alabama Greek life?

Look, the fact that I have now shown up in a Surlster's dream is going to bother me for a long, long, long time....no need to keep bringing it up.

Honestly, I was way more impressed that I envisioned, architected, built, and opened my own theme park that hot celebrities wanted to visit.

Next week I get my hormone pellets and my dreams will adjust accordingly.

On 7/25/2023 at 11:43 PM, Rimbo said:

Prepping your social media feeds properly to be in the right social club? Stephen King couldn't write a scarier nightmare.

Anything that encourages kids not to post stupid shit on social media can't be all bad. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who would gladly pay $4k today to have some poorly thought out posts or pictures erased from the internet.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Anything that encourages kids not to post stupid shit on social media can't be all bad. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who would gladly pay $4k today to have some poorly thought out posts or pictures erased from the internet.

That's not really what this is doing though, is it?

What this is doing is encouraging kids to be MORE concerned about their social media feeds, to spend MORE time doing stupid shit on it.

You call "posting that time we got naked while getting high and cut the neighbor's cat in half" stupid shit ... I call "getting engaged in social media at all" stupid shit.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

That's not really what this is doing though, is it?

What this is doing is encouraging kids to be MORE concerned about their social media feeds, to spend MORE time doing stupid shit on it.

You call "posting that time we got naked while getting high and cut the neighbor's cat in half" stupid shit ... I call "getting engaged in social media at all" stupid shit.

This. Your kid will get their score dinged for being mature enough not to have social media. This is all about having the right social media.  Have pics of your volunteerism just make sure it's not helping anyone of a particular persuasion, wink wink.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, Not a cat said:

Wait, they look at grades?  Like high school grades?

I don't remember grades coming up much when I was going through rush.  Granted it was the 80s and fraternity rush, but damn.

I just assumed sorority rush was some internal super secret ranking scale of hot, daddy's money, and legacy, with different sororities giving different weight to each metric 

I was in a big 6 sorority at UT in the 00s and that was pretty much all of it. We would get very drunk during deliberations and occasionally randomly elevate or cut a girl based off of completely random criteria (ie. she has a stupid hobby or I don’t like her middle name), but it was never grades. Grades were more of a “oh neat fact” kind of thing.

• Like 1