Parents spend $4000 on Consultants to help daughters get into Sororities

crash_davis

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

As an alumni of an Old Row house at Bama and with a daughter in a sorority at AU, I probably have a little more insight.

These consultants are worth it for out of state girls rushing at big Greek schools (Alabama, UGA, Auburn, Texas, TCU, LSU, Purdue, Wisconsin etc).

If your daughter is staying in state and rushing - don’t bother. The active members already know about your town, your school and their reputation.

Legacies don’t mean shit any more.

Last year my sorority had more legacies than they had spots. If they want you and you’re a legacy, that’s a bonus. But legacies get a courtesy invite to the second round and then most get cut - I’d say 50-60%.

The first round cuts are made strictly on grades. My sorority cuts anyone with below a 3.5 automatically. And the more popular houses have to make deeper cuts. It’s all done by a computer algorithm.

The biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - thing for girls going through rush is to clean up their social media and post pictures with variety and purpose and with a cohesive aesthetic- fun with friends (but no drinking and wild partying), family pictures, doing volunteer work, sports photos, pictures with their pets, doing stuff with their church etc.

And do it starting in your sophomore and junior year in high school. And go all the way to the first ever post for review. The sororities start looking at upcoming in state girls at least a year before.

And clean up comments - delete anything with cussing or any fights.

There’s a lot more but most alumni who live in the state can consult with these girls and give the same advice as these professional consultants.

If any of y’all ever have a daughter going to Bama or Auburn and are planning to rush, DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

I’ll only charge $800 lol

My niece is now a junior at Arky so, oddly enough, we know a decent amount about this subject and all of the above is spot on.  Arky (like Bama) has a bunch of out of state students that don't know anyone and no one knows them.  Niece in question hits all the marks.  Good grades, fun and outgoing personality, good story, and is hot.  (Sorry, that still matters and no pics.)  However, her mom is a single mom with no money.  She wasn't able to get into the top tier houses because of money and connections but she got into one of the solid ones with good academics and a nice house.  Since she's hot, she still gets invited to the good frat parties.  She's dated two guys at this point and one's mom was a partner at a law firm and the current is from the Park Cities.  So, yeah, some of this still matters if you want to be crass.

Her assigned roommate in the dorms during rush was from some small town and shaped like a whiskey barrel and didn't get bid by anyone.  She ended up with a bid on the last day by the worst house on campus after everyone turned them down.  Kinda sad but I laughed.

We enjoyed the Bama Rush show but it could have been better.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm trying to wrap my minds around this... the consultants can do anything to influence the situation unless they have a network of girls inside individual sorority houses that are on the take and can influence who gets a bid.  This is such a major racket.  It always boils down to who you know, popularity, all the usual crap to get into a fraternity or sorority.  These consultants... God bless 'em... they're the smart ones who get people to part with their money.  

Sorority Consultants = NFT artists

Grift under a different name.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

I'm trying to wrap my minds around this... the consultants can do anything to influence the situation unless they have a network of girls inside individual sorority houses that are on the take and can influence who gets a bid.  This is such a major racket.  It always boils down to who you know, popularity, all the usual crap to get into a fraternity or sorority.  These consultants... God bless 'em... they're the smart ones who get people to part with their money.  

Think of it this way. This is now the norm, having a great resume, awesome intro video, fun & safe social media presence. Any girl wanting to rush who doesn't have a normal (read great) profile will not present a great initial impression and will hurt them through the vetting and interview process. Can a girl wanting to rush present a great profile without using a consultant? Yes. But for the people in the Greek system, $4000 isn't that much money. It's a small fee if it gets the girl an increased chance to get a bid in a top Sorority.

And like others said, it's probably a must if coming from out of state.

I can't believe I just defended this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Game respects game:

respect-hat.gif

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

The only thing about this I find shocking is that it’s only $4k. That’s basically just a semester of dues plus mandatory expenses. 

Think about how much "work" is involved. Help draft great Rush resumes. Review social media, gives pointers about what to post and what to delete. Use alumni network to get good rec letters. Tell the girl what close to wear, how to cut her hair, etc. Guide them on what and what not to say, how to act, etc at meet parties and interviews. Hold mock interviews, maybe.

That's 20-25 hours (tops) per girl. 

That's an easy $4k.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Honestly, I don't see how it's any dumber than the parents I see hiring former major league pitchers to work with their fat, unathletic sons.  

Yes... baseball has become such a grift.  The whole year-round tournament ball thing for people who think their kid is the next Mike Trout.  

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Think about how much "work" is involved. Help draft great Rush resumes. Review social media, gives pointers about what to post and what to delete. Use alumni network to get good rec letters. Tell the girl what close to wear, how to cut her hair, etc. Guide them on what and what not to say, how to act, etc at meet parties and interviews. Hold mock interviews, maybe.

That's an easy $4k.

And you wanted to be a sorority sherpa....

Operation Vandelay Industries': 'Fake architect' named Newman in  Seinfeld-dubbed sting by state AG

get it together, man 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

I'm trying to wrap my minds around this... the consultants can do anything to influence the situation unless they have a network of girls inside individual sorority houses that are on the take and can influence who gets a bid.  This is such a major racket. 

I'm trusting the Italian on this.

22 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Seems like an inordinate waste of money for something as trivial as sorority membership. Does that make me a hypocrite since I was in a fraternity? I don't know. I do know that I wouldn't spend $4,000 to join if I had to do it all over again. 

This.  They spent money on us and by spending money I mean drinks and things like broomball and parties.   So stupid.  Wish I had thought of the idea, though.

What is the value proposition for wanting your daughter to be in a sorority, again? Is it solely trying to put her in the best light for a potential husband who can provide a higher probability of success/comfort?

That feels a bit...barbaric. But I'll allow it, we are but barbarians in silks styled by Italians.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

That's an easy $4k.

0A7AB41F-62F3-41E6-8182-ABE4E62C99BF.gif.15bc99c4a26aea323cc169350e0d9d13.gif

• Haha 5

What is the value proposition for wanting your daughter to be in a sorority, again? Is it solely trying to put her in the best light for a potential husband who can provide a higher probability of success/comfort?
That feels a bit...barbaric. But I'll allow it, we are but barbarians in silks styled by Italians.
I have the same question. I don't understand the point of any of it.

20 minutes ago, Longhornsnus said:

Mostly intangible.  Most girls that want to pledge, all their friends want to pledge, so it feels like missing out/flat peer pressure.  Their moms were probably in a sorority too.   It provides a fairly instant home and social life while also at least somewhat emphasizing academics and potentially more safety than just random house parties in [West Campus].  The housing situation can be advantageous, also. Lots of connections, hot and/or rich dudes, and sorority alumni chapters are a pretty real thing for post-college life.

• Hook 'Em 1

Being in a sorority helped my daughter land an internship with top consulting firm. Could she have gotten it without being in a sorority, maybe, but probably not. She was asked to be in a social/interview event her Freshman year (2nd week of school) because her upper classman sorority sister needed bodies in the event. The following year, the recruiter remembered her and asked her to apply to internships.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Being in a sorority helped my daughter land an internship with top consulting firm. Could she have gotten it without being in a sorority, maybe, but probably not. She was asked to be in a social/interview event her Freshman year (2nd week of school) because her upper classman sorority sister needed bodies in the event. The following year, the recruiter remembered her and asked her to apply to internships.

That's interesting, I guess. Thanks for sharing.

17 minutes ago, Longhornsnus said:

That's interesting, I guess. Thanks for sharing.

13 minutes ago, Goredho said:

With 91 posts and -45 rep, you are obviously not Phi Kappa Surly material.

PM Derka. He can consult (payment in Taco Bell) you in the ways of improving your Surly standing.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

PM Derka. He can consult (payment in Taco Bell) you in the ways of improving your Surly standing.

If he wants to improve his Surly standing, he'd have to literally start posting the opposite of every one of his thoughts, and maybe stop trolling. Of course, anyone else would have learned that without taking 10 or so usernames and getting banned repeatedly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

20 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

As an alumni of an Old Row house at Bama and with a daughter in a sorority at AU, I probably have a little more insight.

These consultants are worth it for out of state girls rushing at big Greek schools (Alabama, UGA, Auburn, Texas, TCU, LSU, Purdue, Wisconsin etc).

If your daughter is staying in state and rushing - don’t bother. The active members already know about your town, your school and their reputation.

Last year my sorority had more legacies than they had spots. If they want you and you’re a legacy, that’s a bonus. But legacies get a courtesy invite to the second round and then most get cut - I’d say 50-60%.

The first round cuts are made strictly on grades. My sorority cuts anyone with below a 3.5 automatically. And the more popular houses have to make deeper cuts. It’s all done by a computer algorithm.

The biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - thing for girls going through rush is to clean up their social media and post pictures with variety and purpose and with a cohesive aesthetic- fun with friends (but no drinking and wild partying), family pictures, doing volunteer work, sports photos, pictures with their pets, doing stuff with their church etc.

And do it starting in your sophomore and junior year in high school. And go all the way to the first ever post for review. The sororities start looking at upcoming in state girls at least a year before.

There’s a lot more but most alumni who live in the state can consult with these girls and give the same advice as these professional consultants.

If any of y’all ever have a daughter going to Bama or Auburn and are planning to rush, DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

Old Row Gurl, it’s “alumna”😎

10 hours ago, Okie State said:
10 hours ago, Longhornsnus said:

I have the same question. I don't understand the point of any of it.

I will say that my oldest is looking at a couple of high end out of state schools that no one she knows attends. In her mind it’s a way to start off with built in friends, be involved in something that will benefit her post undergrad, these schools have extensive Greek cultures with much better housing situations, etc. The consultant comes into play to see how many rungs up that ladder she can go. I think it’s all bullshit, but at this point with what I’m going to drop for college it doesn’t matter.

I’m much more disturbed by how tight money/admittance is for a kid with extensive involvement, high GPA, high ACT, numerous AP’s, etc. I always assumed she would have her pick of where she wanted to go with money available from most. Yeah, that isn’t the case by a long shot. That process has been a bit of kick in the nuts. 

• Rage+1 1

Whole thing reminds me of a book I found when we were clearing out some shit after SO and I moved in together. She had signed up with a modeling agency, and they had a guide for young girls who aspired to be models.

The contents were ... horrifying. Basically a guide on how to completely worthless you would be if you ever gained even the slightest bit of weight, among other things. It didn't explicitly tell the young readers to binge and purge, but a young, impressionable mind would definitely have the idea that those were better options after reading this.

That's what all this sorority training nonsense seems like to me. I get, say, prepping for the SAT and shit. Prepping your social media feeds properly to be in the right social club? Stephen King couldn't write a scarier nightmare.

• Hook 'Em 3

I will say that my oldest is looking at a couple of high end out of state schools that no one she knows attends. In her mind it’s a way to start off with built in friends, be involved in something that will benefit her post undergrad, these schools have extensive Greek cultures with much better housing situations, etc. The consultant comes into play to see how many rungs up that ladder she can go. I think it’s all bullshit, but at this point with what I’m going to drop for college it doesn’t matter.
I’m much more disturbed by how tight money/admittance is for a kid with extensive involvement, high GPA, high ACT, numerous AP’s, etc. I always assumed she would have her pick of where she wanted to go with money available from most. Yeah, that isn’t the case by a long shot. That process has been a bit of kick in the nuts. 

My daughter did the same. She had to get far away from her mom. Her first year was covered by enough to offset the costs of being out of state. Plus she bartended so my out of pocket was manageable.

She lived in the sorority house her 2nd year and it was very cool, a huge mansion, a house mom who enforced decorum, and a full-service dining room with great food. All in all I was very pleased with the setup. Granted, I was appalled by what I saw at frat parties but the Kappa house was like walking into a nice country club parlor.

Even after she moved into an apartment she still took meals at the house, and they were serious about having the highest GPA on campus and participating in campus events. She had a big sis who was a positive influence and then went on to mentor others. The girls took care of their own, which is how she got jobs at decent restaurants and bars and still graduated Magna Cum Laude.

All in all I was very pleased, and though I didn't spend a dime on a consultant it didn't hurt that she was reigning Miss Tennessee which cost me quite a bit but that's a whole other story.

Tl;Dr lesson one, be attractive. Also make sure your starter wife/baby momma is a psychopath that raises overachievers. Raises the laid-back cool dad factor.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:55 PM, Deej said:

A lot of folks here don't know the rules. 

Be blonde, skinny, and pretty. Them's the rules. That'll be $2,000 (friends and family discount).

PS. I know the rules you're referring to, here the pic. OP's daughter looks like this, as do the rest of them.

Alabama president tells sororities they must create new chance for black  women to rush

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Be blonde, skinny, and pretty. Them's the rules. That'll be $2,000 (friends and family discount).

PS. I know the rules you're referring to, here the pic. OP's daughter looks like this, as do the rest of them.

Alabama president tells sororities they must create new chance for black  women to rush

And practice the ubiquitous bent over, hands on knees squat pose. Seriously, who decided that was an attractive look?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I bet the posts ranking the order are going to be all fucking over the place on this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

On 7/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, Bama Chick said:

Bama Chick gets it, this is spot on imo.  I have a daughter at AU, pledged last year and is heading back to Auburn for rush next week. According to her, grades were a weed out for sure, I  asked if she was going to look after one of her incoming freshman buddies from our town, but her first comment was she doesnt have the scores/grades to get into her house.  So fwiw , grades, social media and charity work through HS are super important.  All in all, a very positive experience for her.  I was in a frat at Texas and still hang out/communicate with 15-20 guys ive known since fall '88 and we're pushing mid-50s now. 

• Hook 'Em 1