Parents spend $4000 on Consultants to help daughters get into Sororities

crash_davis

Don't taze me, bro. My daughter is in a sorority at Texas. No, I am NOT posting pics. No, I did NOT pay $4000 on a Sorority Consultant, or at least I better the fuck not have.

This will descend into a Greek bashing thread...

My thoughts coming from someone who was not Greek at Texas. My daughter has a great group of childhood high school friends who will continue to be friends for life. Some of her Sorority sisters seem/are fake as shit and are bitches. But she has a great core of 6-7 Sorority sisters who are great people and should be friends for life. Some of the Sorority shit she dealt with her Freshman and Sophomore years were beyond stupid, high school shit. I'd tune out the shit when she was complaining thinking "you are paying for this bullshit, deal with it." But this past Junior year, things mellowed out a bunch. No more drama. Just good, positive things. All in all, it has been an extremely positive thing for her.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sorority-consultants-rush-colleges-parents-prepare-80b2cfc8?st=ioep3c1hq6d66d7&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Sorority rush at the University of Georgia kicks off in August, a lousy time to wear makeup.

“You need to do it in a way that’s appropriate in southern humidity or else you’re going to have orange rivers running down your face,” said Trisha Addicks. She recommends keeping a “rush bag” with deodorant, portable fan, water and face powder.

That’s the kind of practical advice Addicks gives clients of her Georgia-based sorority-consulting firm, It’s All Greek to Me. Showing up in Dr. Martens combat boots, as one client asked about, might not be putting your best foot forward in some sorority circles, she said: “During rush, you’re not going to be confident if you’re wearing them, and everybody else is wearing espadrilles.”

Addicks offers a $600 seminar for women and their mothers to learn the basics about getting into a sorority; $3,500 buys unlimited access to sorority mentors who advise aspirants through every step. She is part of an industry emerging in recent years that sells tips and emotional support to women who want to avoid missteps that threaten first impressions. Sorority consultants cover such topics as what to wear, how to act, what to say and the wisdom of scrubbing potentially off-putting social media posts. 

Emma Kelley, a recent graduate, said hiring Addicks was worth it. Otherwise, she risked entering blind to the arcane rituals, traditions and unspoken rules of Greek life. “You have to be trendy but not too trendy, modest but not too modest, fit in but be unique,” said Kelley, who joined the University of Georgia’s Delta Zeta sorority. The trick, she said, is “blending in and standing out.”

Getting into sororities has become nearly as competitive as acceptance to top universities. Applicants are asked to write essays, give their grade-point average and report whether they did volunteer work or played high-school sports. Women submit application packets with as many as 30 letters of recommendation, said Stacia Damron, owner of Hiking in High Heels in Texas. Some sororities require that applicants record video responses to their questions. “My boyfriend went to Stanford, and he said this is more complicated than getting a Stanford M.B.A.,” she said.

Yes, a waste of money, but in the more fucked up sense that it’s a futile exercise  for most of rush for big southern schools is done by HS graduation. The moms at my wife’s high school began doing volunteer sorority prep classes junior year (before you go to Round Up, duh) and she thought that was the most normal thing in the world. 

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The pessimist in me just sees this as further confirmation that as a society, we're careening into a vast pit of ignorant vapidity. The optimist in me hopes this means there's a new brazzers site coming online shortly. 

This has been going on in substantially this form, perhaps without paid consultant (see above), for like 75 years at least.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Seems like a lot of money to influence things that seem to me that are diffiult to control. Namely: Is the girl in question some combination of 1) attractive 2) likeable 3) Socially functional 4) Maybe has some family money.

It seems like those things are probably already determined well before High School has completed. Then again, I also don't have a daughter, so what the fuck do I know. 

One of my sister’s nieces is just finished her freshman year at UGA.  From the way I overheard it being talked about, it sounds like she used this lady's services.  She got the one she wanted. She is currently spending the summer house sitting in Beverly Hills with a few of her sorority sisters while another spends the summer in Europe with her family.  So maybe worth it?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seems like a lot of money to influence things that seem to me that are diffiult to control. Namely: Is the girl in question some combination of 1) attractive 2) likeable 3) Socially functional 4) Maybe has some family money.

It seems like those things are probably already determined well before High School has completed. Then again, I also don't have a daughter, so what the fuck do I know. 

From what I learned from my daughter who was on the Rush team, all of the Sororities vet the candidates long before the interview. From the Rush resume, videos, rec letters, they decide on the girls they want to interview/rush and the girls that they REALLY want. So all that pre-work does have benefits, especially if you are after the top sororities. But yea, at the end of the day, it's still up the girl to interview well but it helps set first impressions and getting your foot in the door.

One of my sister’s best friends started a business like this about 5 years ago. After COVID, she decided to raise her prices to see what happened and her business actually increased. She just bought a $1m+ house in central Austin. She’s 32 and single.

Good gig if you can get it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

From what I learned from my daughter who was on the Rush team, all of the Sororities vet the candidates long before the interview. From the Rush resume, videos, rec letters, they decide on the girls they want to interview/rush and the girls that they REALLY want. So all that pre-work does have benefits, especially if you are after the top sororities. But yea, at the end of the day, it's still up the girl to interview well but it helps set first impressions and getting your foot in the door.

At the Big Six level, almost everything goes to legacies and feeder schools, which have number caps and this the girls battle over all summer. My wife didn’t like one candidate from her HS because of her reputation so put her picture on the rear entrance of the house to make a point. I was never able to find her, but I’ll always regret not managing to run into “Backdoor Ellie”. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, We’reTexas said:

At the Big Six level, almost everything goes to legacies and feeder schools, which have number caps and this the girls battle over all summer. My wife didn’t like one candidate from her HS because of her reputation so put her picture on the rear entrance of the house to make a point. I was never able to find her, but I’ll always regret not managing to run into “Backdoor Ellie”. 

My daughter is in a Big Six sorority. She's definitely not legacy nor is she from feeder school. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Sounds like an sound investment. Get into the right sorority, meet a scion from the right fraternity, get married, get divorced, receive a huge settlement. Winner!

This man daughters!

33 minutes ago, Stringer said:

One of my sister’s best friends started a business like this about 5 years ago. After COVID, she decided to raise her prices to see what happened and her business actually increased. She just bought a $1m+ house in central Austin. She’s 32 and single.

Good gig if you can get it.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 7

45 minutes ago, Stringer said:

she decided to raise her prices to see what happened and her business actually increased. 

Oldest story in the book.  I ran a tiny recording studio in an outbuilding behind my house, part time after my day gig, and could barely pay the bills for HVAC, etc.  I decided to double my rate just to cut down on booked hours.  Booked hours didn't drop, they went up.  I was just as busy but started making more than 2X the money.  Well, OK, I guess, not the intended outcome . . .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Oldest daughter has looked into this. She’s a senior this year and works with a consultant now on college prep. I thought it was dumb until we looked at the stats on college admittance into those top tier schools which is where she wants to go. Grades, scores, etc are only a part of it and the kids coming out of her private school have better school  acceptance rates using a consultant. Sororities at the top tier schools are the same way listening to the college consultant. Assuming my kid decides to pledge (she doesn’t currently) I’m sure I’ll be writing that check while I cuss under my breath.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Couldn’t you just buy her a $4000 handbag and get the same result?

She can borrow one from her mom if that’s all we need to do. I’m pulling for her sticking with no sorority or one of the schools where it doesn’t matter. However, I’ve listened to enough of this crap at this point to accept that it makes a difference at certain schools. I also was naive enough to think grades, GPA, and the right involvement would walk her into pretty much any school she wanted. That’s not the case any more either.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

The pessimist in me just sees this as further confirmation that as a society, we're careening into a vast pit of ignorant vapidity.

The moose out front reading the ‘whatever happened to Demi’ thread should’ve told you.   

As an alumni of an Old Row house at Bama and with a daughter in a sorority at AU, I probably have a little more insight.

These consultants are worth it for out of state girls rushing at big Greek schools (Alabama, UGA, Auburn, Texas, TCU, LSU, Purdue, Wisconsin etc).

If your daughter is staying in state and rushing - don’t bother. The active members already know about your town, your school and their reputation.

Legacies don’t mean shit any more.

Last year my sorority had more legacies than they had spots. If they want you and you’re a legacy, that’s a bonus. But legacies get a courtesy invite to the second round and then most get cut - I’d say 50-60%.

The first round cuts are made strictly on grades. My sorority cuts anyone with below a 3.5 automatically. And the more popular houses have to make deeper cuts. It’s all done by a computer algorithm.

The biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - thing for girls going through rush is to clean up their social media and post pictures with variety and purpose and with a cohesive aesthetic- fun with friends (but no drinking and wild partying), family pictures, doing volunteer work, sports photos, pictures with their pets, doing stuff with their church etc.

And do it starting in your sophomore and junior year in high school. And go all the way to the first ever post for review. The sororities start looking at upcoming in state girls at least a year before.

And clean up comments - delete anything with cussing or any fights.

There’s a lot more but most alumni who live in the state can consult with these girls and give the same advice as these professional consultants.

If any of y’all ever have a daughter going to Bama or Auburn and are planning to rush, DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

I’ll only charge $800 lol

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

As an alumni of an Old Row house at Bama and with a daughter in a sorority at AU, I probably have a little more insight.

These consultants are worth it for out of state girls rushing at big Greek schools (Alabama, UGA, Auburn, Texas, TCU, LSU, Purdue, Wisconsin etc).

If your daughter is staying in state and rushing - don’t bother. The active members already know about your town, your school and their reputation.

Last year my sorority had more legacies than they had spots. If they want you and you’re a legacy, that’s a bonus. But legacies get a courtesy invite to the second round and then most get cut - I’d say 50-60%.

The first round cuts are made strictly on grades. My sorority cuts anyone with below a 3.5 automatically. And the more popular houses have to make deeper cuts. It’s all done by a computer algorithm.

The biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - thing for girls going through rush is to clean up their social media and post pictures with variety and purpose and with a cohesive aesthetic- fun with friends (but no drinking and wild partying), family pictures, doing volunteer work, sports photos, pictures with their pets, doing stuff with their church etc.

And do it starting in your sophomore and junior year in high school. And go all the way to the first ever post for review. The sororities start looking at upcoming in state girls at least a year before.

There’s a lot more but most alumni who live in the state can consult with these girls and give the same advice as these professional consultants.

If any of y’all ever have a daughter going to Bama or Auburn and are planning to rush, DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

So Jade's not getting in? 

13 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Which is partly why we endured the Tri-Delt socials -  but partied with the DGs.

A good attitude was held in greater esteem than head cheerleading looks, a 3.5 gpa, and a deeply held appreciation of their self-worth. 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

One of my sister’s nieces is just finished her freshman year at UGA.  From the way I overheard it being talked about, it sounds like she used this lady's services.  She got the one she wanted. She is currently spending the summer house sitting in Beverly Hills with a few of her sorority sisters while another spends the summer in Europe with her family.  So maybe worth it?

I mean that sound awesome, but I hope her life expectations aren’t warped. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean that sound awesome, but I hope her life expectations aren’t warped. 

Her expectations havr been warped from the day she was born.  This isn’t some little bungalow either, it’s a mansion with views all the way out to Catalina (wine mixer).

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

So, pics?

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

It does happen. It has been nearly 20 years, and my fraternity brothers still get together regularly. 

My Texas frat group of 10-12 close friends are all now in our mid 60s.  We have all been to each other's weddings, baby christenings, funerals (mostly their parents, thus far!).  We have an active text thread where we keep up with each other and give each other shit on a daily basis.  We do boy's weekend trips to good party destinations at least annually.  People forget that you will be an alumni for much longer than you will be an active. 

No ragrets about doing the Greek route at Texas.

No Ragrets"

P.S.  To get this thread back on track -- I'm quite sure that none of us had a paid consultant to help us get through the rush process!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oldest story in the book.  I ran a tiny recording studio in an outbuilding behind my house, part time after my day gig, and could barely pay the bills for HVAC, etc.  I decided to double my rate just to cut down on booked hours.  Booked hours didn't drop, they went up.  I was just as busy but started making more than 2X the money.  Well, OK, I guess, not the intended outcome . . .

http://imgflip.com/i/7tmue7

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Which is partly why we endured the Tri-Delt socials -  but partied with the DGs.

A good attitude was held in greater esteem than head cheerleading looks, a 3.5 gpa, and a deeply held appreciation of their self-worth. 

Yeah maybe. But the Tri-Delts can fight.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

One group that absolutely does stick together are Black sororities. Those ladies will have weekly meetings well into their 70s.

Yep. Mrs. Canecutter had a Delta Sigma Theta friend suggest that she join. Probably woulda been cool but she couldn't commit to the hours. I mean, even the Marine Corps let you retire at some point.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

The DGs at Texas were fun.  Like if you needed a date on short notice for some sorr of event and wanted it to end well a DG was a good choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Frat guys seem to think that this only happens with frat guys.  

I still see college buddies too, and I've been out longer than 20 years.

I never said otherwise. What a weird response, and frankly one that makes me question why anyone would tolerate you for that long. 

• Hook 'Em 1