2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's pretty easy to see considering Gbenda is getting pretty much all the reps with the ones.

Strong Nashon Huges vibes from Gbenda. From what I've seen of him the last three years, he doesn't need to be playing much. Unless he's made a Gaskampian transformation in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Strong Nashon Huges vibes from Gbenda. From what I've seen of him the last three years, he doesn't need to be playing much. Unless he's made a Gaskampian transformation in the offseason. 

I am personally not a fan of Gbenda either, but I also think asking a true freshman to start early at LB is a tall ask. As good as I think Hill will be, his biggest strengths right now would be best utilized coming off the edge and not trying to diagnose in the box.

It will be interesting to watch because while we will obviously miss Overshown, he honestly wasn't very good either at times when asked to traditional LB type stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I am personally not a fan of Gbenda either, but I also think asking a true freshman to start early at LB is a tall ask. As good as I think Hill will be, his biggest strengths right now would be best utilized coming off the edge and not trying to diagnose in the box.

It will be interesting to watch because while we will obviously miss Overshown, he honestly wasn't very good either at times when asked to traditional LB type stuff. 

I am a little more concerned with a report that said Ford will be stunting more. He is the only guy I have confidence in doing LB things (coverage, reading the play). Like to see Hill doing the stunting and Ford being the eraser behind him (the vast majority of the time). That said it was just one of 100 stories about what will happen this season, we shall see if it actually true.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'd rather play Blackwell. 

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am a little more concerned with a report that said Ford will be stunting more. He is the only guy I have confidence in doing LB things (coverage, reading the play). Like to see Hill doing the stunting and Ford being the eraser behind him (the vast majority of the time). That said it was just one of 100 stories about what will happen this season, we shall see if it actually true.

I think that is from confidence with the secondary.

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Codaxx concerned seems normal...

I really hope our run defense holds up against bama -- I expect bama to really try to wear the Texas defense down in the alabama heat.

Bama has more depth, so wear the fuck out of Texas so unfortunately the Horns fold again in the 4th qtr.

Hope the Longhorn defense proves me wrong against the crimson tide. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

One of the aspects of Bama under  OC Sark was that there were multiple receivers wide open on so many plays. It seems reasonable to think we may see that this season. With decent protection from the OL and accurate throws from QB we should have an offense that scores more than last season. Rush 3 and drop 8, and we'll run all over you; stack the box to  stop the runs, and we'll have at least two receivers free. It could happen.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I really hope our run defense holds up against bama -- I expect bama to really try to wear the Texas defense down in the alabama heat.

Bama has more depth, so wear the fuck out of Texas so unfortunately the Horns fold again in the 4th qtr.

concerned is probably not the right word, but the idea is a bit odd to me. Hill isnt going to be as good as Ford in pass coverage or reading his keys in the run game, none of the LBs are. Hill may actually be better than Ford at things like rushing the passer or blitzing. Blitzing Ford and having Hill in coverage, may actually downgrade 2 spots on the field. That all seems pretty obvious to me. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bama wants to run the ball. Texas just needs that patented 1st Half Sark offense.  Early lead would be huge. Have to like Texas's chances, if Bama has to throw the ball to win

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

concerned is probably not the right word, but the idea is a bit odd to me. Hill isnt going to be as good as Ford in pass coverage or reading his keys in the run game, none of the LBs are. Hill may actually be better than Ford at things like rushing the passer or blitzing. Blitzing Ford and having Hill in coverage, may actually downgrade 2 spots on the field. That all seems pretty obvious to me. 

Ford is good in the pass rush. If you only always blitz the same LB role and never blitz the other role, have you considered that, and this is just a crazy hypothetical, other teams might figure that out and adjust accordingly?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ford is good in the pass rush. If you only always blitz the same LB role and never blitz the other role, have you considered that, and this is just a crazy hypothetical, other teams might figure that out and adjust accordingly?

*Manny Diaz has entered the chat*

"No?"

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nobody said 100% of time, of course you have to mix it up. I didn’t think I needed to specify that.  The article said Ford will be blitzing and coming off the edge a lot (I believe it was Boyd). That seemed crazy to me. Majority should be Hill (for reasons stated above) with Ford occasionally blitzing/coming off the edge. 

Edited by Codaxx

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Nobody said 100% of time, of course you have to mix it up. I didn’t think I needed to specify that.  The article said Ford will be blitzing and coming off the edge a lot (I believe it was Boyd). That seemed crazy to me. Majority should be Hill (for reasons stated above) with Ford occasionally blitzing/coming off the edge. 

60% of the time it works every time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The 1st scrimmage is tomorrow and it's parents only.

I think there is another scrimmage planned for BMD/NIL

Yeah, Sark mentioned that the 1st scrimmage starts at 9:45am followed by a BBQ for players and their families...

7 hours ago, Tex Long said:

One of the aspects of Bama under  OC Sark was that there were multiple receivers wide open on so many plays. It seems reasonable to think we may see that this season. With decent protection from the OL and accurate throws from QB we should have an offense that scores more than last season. Rush 3 and drop 8, and we'll run all over you; stack the box to  stop the runs, and we'll have at least two receivers free. It could happen.

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I imagine this, or something in the same vein, will be the approach deployed against Texas early in the year. Everyone knows they can pass block and have a stacked group of pass catchers. Don’t play into their strengths, play a lot of dime dropping 7-8, and make them consistently execute down the field.

They’ve struggled with the “run all over you” answer to that despite having two freak, NFL RBs. Bijan and RoJo aren’t walking through that door so the OL is going to have to improve big time in the ground game to make that happen. There are reasons for optimism - another year of physical maturity across the board, inserting Campbell and removing the weakest link in Hutson - but the baseline they’re starting from with regard to run blocking is actually pretty low and it’s not at all a given they’ll be able to do that consistently.

Barry Odom kind of provided the blue print with his blitz-heavy packages from “drop 8” looks, which suggest to the QB that the run will be there, only to have safeties crash into the run lanes at the snap. Sark hasn’t had an answer for it. 

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Barry Odom kind of provided the blue print with his blitz-heavy packages from “drop 8” looks, which suggest to the QB that the run will be there, only to have safeties crash into the run lanes at the snap. Sark hasn’t had an answer for it. 

The answer is, sometimes throw it behind those crashing safeties.  Or at least seems to be. And if they aren’t coming downhill, bad play. It happens. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The answer is, sometimes throw it behind those crashing safeties.  Or at least seems to be. And if they aren’t coming downhill, bad play. It happens. 

A good QB who understands and executes RPO is a good counter, but there’s a lot of pre and post snap chess required that our QBs haven’t recently had the experience to play. 

Of course, an experienced, bulldozing, massive OL is also a good counter. Haven’t had that in a while, either. 

Edited by Chili dog

58 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

He was terrible vs the drop 8 in year 1. Year 2 he ran all over the 2 best defenses in the Big 12 (ISU and KSU), that use the drop 8. His adjustment was using unbalanced lines to carve them up in the run game. I dont think you can just ignore those 2 data pts. He obviously failed vs TCU. We will see this year, if he takes another step. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

"No?"

1 hour ago, Lou_Sassle said:

*Todd Orlando has entered the chat*

"why don't you just only blitz the safety from 20 yards out 4 seconds after the ball is snapped?"

*Vance Bedford has entered the chat*

”I just pooped my pants!”

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Asshole, PM Sark. If you don't and this continues, it's your fault. You are warned.

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

"No?"

2 hours ago, Lou_Sassle said:

*Todd Orlando has entered the chat*

"why don't you just only blitz the safety from 20 yards out 4 seconds after the ball is snapped?"

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

*Vance Bedford has entered the chat*

”I just pooped my pants!”

Why would y’all do this?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

Thursday Defensive Notes

I don’t expect much from him this year, beyond maybe special teams, but Jelani McDonald is a pup that’s biting in practice. He’s very active despite still being confused at times. He plays at 100 MPH and the coaches love him.

Son of a bitch, did CTJ write that article? 

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

crazy hypothetical, other teams might figure that

3 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

Naw. Franklins sucks.

the big ugly Kasey Studdard who owns Whitfields bbq would be a better choice

Username and such 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, Sark mentioned that the 1st scrimmage starts at 9:45am followed by a BBQ for players and their families...
A BBQ? No such thing unless there is like one slice of brisket or something. Can't let lingo from the rest of the country infiltrate Texas. If the cooking doesn't start until most everyone arrives it's a cookout or grilling. /Rant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ousux said:

A BBQ? No such thing unless there is like one slice of brisket or something. Can't let lingo from the rest of the country infiltrate Texas. If the cooking doesn't start until most everyone arrives it's a cookout or grilling. /Rant

I got invited to a "BBQ" in Wisconsin one time. 

The "BBQ" turned out to be ground beef Sloppy Joe's made with BBQ sauce and served out of a crock-pot.  At least there was plenty of cold beer being that it was Wisconsin and all, so that was nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If Texas still holds up at the point of attack in the late 3rd quarter, we pull away, imo. On paper, we should be superior at quarterback and skill positions this year. We should be able to score in bunches. 

I'm honestly way more worried about Big 12 fuckery this year than Bama. We HAVE to win this shitty conference this year. No excuses. Sark has checked all the boxes off the field, but if we don't win the conference this year, doubts about Sark having the ability to be the guy on gameday are going to skyrocket. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It’ll go 1 of 2 ways: 

1) We pull Saban’s pants down and it’s the emperor has no clothes game.

or 

2) Bama breaks our hearts on some last minute drive while the refs eat their flags.

Hoping for the first scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Chili dog said:

One way to attack it may be with our elite WR/TE corps, and see just how good the other team’s run-stuffing 4th and 5th DB’s are in coverage. 

Edited by Duane Moore