2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

15 hours ago, Waterface said:

Given that Sark was hired at Texas after demonstrating exceptional talent as a playcalling OC at Alabama, it is fair to assume (without primary evidence from the hiring process) that his ability to coordinate an offense and call plays may have, in fact, been his greatest selling point. Especially considering that his track record as a HC and program manager outside of playcalling prior to Texas was not exceptional. So it does seem odd that his greatest past strength would be his greatest present weakness here. But every situation is different, alcohol is a helluva drug, etc.

It's fair to assume that's a selling point, sure. A major one. But if you read more carefully, you'd see the other poster said rather explicitly that was the ONLY thing he was hired for...and if you think that the only thing that was discussed during multiple interviews on being the HC at Texas was having a kick-ass offense, well, I don't know what to tell you or even bother continuing having this conversation with you or anyone who feels similarly. 

The guy has had great offenses in the past. But the guy also demonstrably has stepped on his dick with playcalling and gameday decisionmaking multiple times since he took over the job at Texas. It's pretty reasonable to have questions about his capabilities when we've all must witnessed questionable shit the last two years. Running elite offenses at 'Bama and having been hired for it at Texas don't make a shit when there's been struggles we've all witnessed after two years on the job. 

The guy was elite with elite talent. He should by all accounts have that this year, lets see what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

That is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection.

Overruled.

Bill O’Brien coached the 2022 offense to 41 points a game. 4th in the nation. BOB is one of the worst OC’s out there. Sometimes talent covers up bad coaching.

Sark can coordinate an offense. And some of his offenses are beautiful to watch. Some are not. It remains to be seen what he can do without elite talent. We saw our offense sputter after other teams adjusted. Sometimes it looked like we ran out plays.

He got run out of Atlanta. I’m hoping he works out, but he’s been underwhelming so far.

If you are saying having elite QBs makes it easy to be an OC, well of course it does. Andy Reid is an offensive genius. His first 4 years at KC, the highest they finished in yards/play was 16th. They have finished either 1st or 2nd, since Mahommes has become the starter. 

We know what Sark does without elite offensive talent. We watched it the last 2 seasons. Texas has finished 26th and 20th in pts per drive in Sark's Texas tenure. It was 16th (2022) and 35th in OFEI (2022). It has been marked with frustrating inconsistency, but it is hard to say that the results on offense have been bad. He did that with mediocre to poor OLs,  mediocre WRs, and mediocre QBs. This year we will find out, if it was Sark's play calling or a talent issue holding the offense back.

Atlanta finished #1 in yards/play under Shanahan. Under Sark they finished 6th and 4th. The 3 years following Sark it was 15th , 18th, and 24th. Sark is not Shanahan (few are), but I am not sure Atlanta is happy they ran him out of town. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 6:09 PM, Zeus said:

Fox has worse people but better coverage. Maybe it’s just Klatt that I like. 
I like how he embarrasses Cowherd regularly. 

Cowherd does only talk about Michigan, Ohio state, USC, and Texas. In that order. 

Just look at Klatt's face in this lmao

image.png.100ce346b0b9f803d1f8be7794899330.png

10 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

That is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection.

Overruled.

Bill O’Brien coached the 2022 offense to 41 points a game. 4th in the nation. BOB is one of the worst OC’s out there. Sometimes talent covers up bad coaching.

Sark can coordinate an offense. And some of his offenses are beautiful to watch. Some are not. It remains to be seen what he can do without elite talent. We saw our offense sputter after other teams adjusted. Sometimes it looked like we ran out plays.

He got run out of Atlanta. I’m hoping he works out, but he’s been underwhelming so far.

Sark went 13-0 and grabbed a title for Alabama with Mac Jones at QB

O'Brien had Bryce Young and lost to fucking AGGY 

Just saying their points per game is a pretty weak argument, I mean they scored 49 and Bryce Young had 455 yds passing in a loss to Tennishit. 

Sark is a much, much better playcaller and OC than BOB. Especially when it comes to college ball. The Alabama machine was obviously a huge driving force keeping them winning but just watching the games comparing Sark to BOB is like watching two entirely different teams. With Sark calling plays everything seemed to work, look easy, and guys were wide open running with the ball in space all the time. With BOB it was just a grind with Bryce Young having to play hero ball at times even though he was supposedly running a similar offense with a lot of the same or equivalent players. 

Just saying, Sark didn't make the mistake of bringing in an OC and letting him call the plays until the offense starts sucking, then take over playcalling, then it's just a mess. Sark just runs the fucking offense as the OC still and calls the plays, as well as his other duties as HC. I respect the hell out of that because it's the opposite of what the last bunch of Texas coaches did. It's also been said by other coaches it's the reason they came with Sark to Texas. They trust his play calling. You get 60-70 plays on offense and even though you may have a huge playbook and variety of things you can do, it's very important to have the offense in a strategic advantage schematically as much as possible to hold on to the ball and put points on the board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Good to see we are rebottling the old arguments again:

Mack Brown cannot with the big game.  (define big game)
Mack Brown cannot with the big game, without Vince Young? (dumb as well, it is his job to get the VYs)
Mack Brown cannot win the big game without an elite QB? (dumb as well, it is still his job to get elite QBs)
Mack Brown cannot win games without better talent than the other guy (that's the JOB!!!)

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it is just very hard for me to imagine a scenario where this team finishes 7-5.  even 8-4 feels like a stretch.  9-3 seems like a much more likely floor.

Same. Like maybe if Ewers got hurt again or something. Hard for me to see how we finish worse than 9-3 considering the schedule and our talent level. And we don’t even play Ok State!

49 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it is just very hard for me to imagine a scenario where this team finishes 7-5.  even 8-4 feels like a stretch.  9-3 seems like a much more likely floor.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Same. Like maybe if Ewers got hurt again or something. Hard for me to see how we finish worse than 9-3 considering the schedule and our talent level. And we don’t even play Ok State!

Y’all either don’t know what floor means, or you're out of your fucking minds if you think 9-3 is the floor. The O/U for our season is 9.5. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

If you are saying having elite QBs makes it easy to be an OC, well of course it does. Andy Reid is an offensive genius. His first 4 years at KC, the highest they finished in yards/play was 16th. They have finished either 1st or 2nd, since Mahommes has become the starter. 

We know what Sark does without elite offensive talent. We watched it the last 2 seasons. Texas has finished 26th and 20th in pts per drive in Sark's Texas tenure. It was 16th (2022) and 35th in OFEI (2022). It has been marked with frustrating inconsistency, but it is hard to say that the results on offense have been bad. He did that with mediocre to poor OLs,  mediocre WRs, and mediocre QBs. This year we will find out, if it was Sark's play calling or a talent issue holding the offense back.

Atlanta finished #1 in yards/play under Shanahan. Under Sark they finished 6th and 4th. The 3 years following Sark it was 15th , 18th, and 24th. Sark is not Shanahan (few are), but I am not sure Atlanta is happy they ran him out of town. 

Yeah- that offense is that high with Casey Thompson whistling balls out of bounds with WR's open by 30 yards, Hudson Card trying to play with a diaper full of shit, and basically a very talented more or less true freshman.  We were great when we were working under the gameplan most games and then it fell apart as we made contact with the enemy and they adjusted.  I bet that doesn't happen now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

7-5 assumes a rash of injuries or we simply fail to live up to the expectations we have for some of the key players. I’m of the mindset that if we stay relatively healthy we are looking at 11-1 or 10-2 just depending on what happens in Tuscaloosa. After our previous decade plus of mediocrity it sounds crazy to say that but Sark has transformed this roster through reciting and the portal. After TCU last year there is simply no excuse.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean it’s easy to see even if it think the baseline is higher. There will probably be a lot of double digit second half leads to blow, and they’ll probably convert on one or two of those opportunities.

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

9-3 is the floor you're fucking out of your mind if you don't think so. Anything less than 10 wins is failure. 

You are conflating different things here. Yes of course it would be a failure, but it's also very possible. 

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

9-3, OU win, Big 12 championship. Failure?

Yes.  Unless 1 or 2 of the losses was egregious and corrupt officiating.  That would actually be 10-3 though if we are the big 12 champions.  Win the bowl game and go to 11-3 and I guess maybe you could make an argument that would be acceptable.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes.  Unless 1 or 2 of the losses was egregious and corrupt officiating.  That would actually be 10-3 though if we are the big 12 champions.  Win the bowl game and go to 11-3 and I guess maybe you could make an argument that would be acceptable.  

Yes. 11-3 in that case is acceptable.

But will 7-2 get you in the championship game? That’s assuming that 3rd loss is to Bama. With 14 teams, we’d need a tie breaker most likely to get there. Odds would be decent that at least one loss is against another championship game front runner.

Yes means we lost a game or two we shouldn’t have. Unacceptable 

If Big12 Championship Win gets Texas to 10-3, that's success

Well, BOW originally used a 12 game record so I was using that same frame. Y’all are wildin’ claiming the first league title in 14 years would be a failure.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Of course its theoretically possible, especially with key injuries, but if we go 7-5 and are losing to teams like BYU or Houston we should just burn all the NIL money in a big pyramid like The Joker and find new hobbies. 

I remember during the 00's when we would joke about going 7-5. I am looking at you old lmfanzone'rs.

• Hook 'Em 1