2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

58 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

As a combo, I’ll take Beck and Humphrey over Sanders and Whitt. Sanders can be a liability in the run game. Beck was knocking fools down and is still in the NFL. And Humphrey was an elite slot and able blocker there.

And regarding our current group of receivers, I’ll take the 2018 group. They were reliable and pretty dominant. They got open, caught balls, and put up big numbers. In the Tom Herman passing game and with Ehlinger at QB.

And although 2018 Duvernay was not yet the 2019 version, Worthy has a long way to go to approach elite level where he consistently gets open, has some sort of catch radius, and holds onto the ball when he does track passes. He’ll be a slot receiver in the NFL. If he doesnt get more consistent and prove himself, he’ll be a Day 2 pick.

While they came through last week, it was another game where Texas receivers were outplayed by their counterparts. Thats been pretty consistent against decent competition since Duvernay left.

The game was 5 days ago.  You’re not celebrating anymore, you just have a drinking problem.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it looks more complete because we are finishing the pressure instead of coming up short. We only had like 27-28 sacks last year while being number 2 in pressures. This year through two games we already have 7 sacks, couple that with only getting 14 turnovers last year and having 5 through two games. It’s going to be a much better defense with fewer holes. 

Don’t forget Mo Blackwell is about to return and that means less Jett bush. So defense likely will get a little better. Derrick Williams and the younger players improving as the season goes will allow us to be a fresh defense. 

I know Jett is an easy target but that guy has been far from a weak link on this defense. If they didn't trust him, do you really think he would be playing significant snaps against Alabama?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

I know Jett is an easy target but that guy has been far from a weak link on this defense. If they didn't trust him, do you really think he would be playing significant snaps against Alabama?

My disdain for white walk ons getting playing time supersedes my realistic answer here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

As a combo, I’ll take Beck and Humphrey over Sanders and Whitt. Sanders can be a liability in the run game. Beck was knocking fools down and is still in the NFL. And Humphrey was an elite slot and able blocker there.

And regarding our current group of receivers, I’ll take the 2018 group. They were reliable and pretty dominant. They got open, caught balls, and put up big numbers. In the Tom Herman passing game and with Ehlinger at QB.

And although 2018 Duvernay was not yet the 2019 version, Worthy has a long way to go to approach elite level where he consistently gets open, has some sort of catch radius, and holds onto the ball when he does track passes. He’ll be a slot receiver in the NFL. If he doesnt get more consistent and prove himself, he’ll be a Day 2 pick.

While they came through last week, it was another game where Texas receivers were outplayed by their counterparts. Thats been pretty consistent against decent competition since Duvernay left.

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I don’t think your receiver take is that crazy (Duvernay in particular), but I can’t fuck with your tight end take. JT is our best tight end since at least Jermichael.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I don’t think your receiver take is that crazy (Duvernay in particular), but I can’t fuck with your tight end take. JT is our best tight end since at least Jermichael.

Xavier is arguably a top 3 WR in program history. JT > Beck and it's not particularly close....as you stated above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I agree. Everyone has PTSD from him starting at defensive end. He's a pretty good linebacker coming off the bench.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

And X is better than most of them. 

Not better than Roy or Shipley, so that cuts down the margin for top 3. McGarity and Adams are right there. 

In an alternate universe, Lam Jones gets to play in Sarkisian’s system and it wouldn’t go well for defenses. Metcalf wasn’t a receiver, per se, but could you imagine what Sarkisian would have done with him? 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what.  roy, ship, mcgarity, mike adams, kwame, bj johnson, limas, devin.  off the top of my head.  

Just two games into his junior season Worthy is already

Second most receptions in a single game(14) behind Shipley(15)
12th in receiving yards in a career, with 10 yards he passes Limas in this category for 11th and if his current pace for the season continues and he's healthy will finish top 5 in career in just 3 seasons.
Second in receiving touchdowns in a season(12) behind Shipley(13)
Third All time in receiving touchdowns(21) behind Roy(36) and Shipley(33)
11th in receptions for a career(134) - If he gets to his 61 catch average this season that will push him past BJ, Kwame, Mike Adams, Duverney, and Collin Johnson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

12th in receiving yards in a career, with 10 yards he passes Limas in this category for 11th and if his current pace for the season continues and he's healthy will finish top 5 in career in just 3 seasons.
11th in receptions for a career(134) - If he gets to his 61 catch average this season that will push him past BJ, Kwame, Mike Adams, Duverney, and Collin Johnson. 

Well ok I stand corrected. It doesn't feel like he is as dominant as those guys but numbers don't lie. 

I just don't remember seeing the ball head towards Roy or BJ and thinking "shit I hope he doesn't drop it" the way I do with X.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well ok I stand corrected. It doesn't feel like he is as dominant as those guys but numbers don't lie. 

I just don't remember seeing the ball head towards Roy or BJ and thinking "shit I hope he doesn't drop it" the way I do with X.

I have Shipley as the best receiver in program history because in big games Shipley showed up....Roy's OU games are a big negative.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are we going to at least asterisk the guys who played under Greg Davis if looking at stats?  Different times and OCs muddy the waters for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Imagine if he didn’t drop so damn many

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Saying you'd take the 2018 Texas receivers and TE over the 2023 Texas receivers and TE is, uh, certainly something.

I’d take the 2019 version of Duvernay over Worthy based on the reliability argument. I can imagine DD being even more dangerous in Sark’s offense.

I would NOT take anyone over AD Mitchell and wouldn’t even consider Beck over Sanders. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This is where I stand as well. When you think about those great receivers that played here, you don't think about drops. Shipley and Duvernay were probably two of the most sure handed pass catchers we have had in recent memory.  With Worthy, I hold my breath every time there is a slightly difficult catch that needs to be made. He can do some damage if he catches the ball though.

Edited by UTEE97

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

This is where I stand as well. When you think about those great receivers that played here, you don't think about drops. Shipley and Duvernay were probably two of the most sure handed pass catchers we have had in recent memory. 

same.  if anything someone like limas sweed's stock is boosted by a greater factor than it oughtta be for clutch catches.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not Roy or Shipley. Duvernay is probably a push. Definitely over Sweed and McGarity. Probably Adams but that's fairly close too.

limas and mcgarity maybe.  i can't rate X over devin.  devin was so dependable and he was 100% all the time, which are the two knocks against X.  X has that deep threat that's so rare but the drops and lack of effort are huge downsides.

Edited by gsoda3
spellcheck
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

limas and mcgarity maybe.  i can't rate X over devin.  devin was so dependable and he was 100% all the time, which are the two knocks against X.  X has that deep threat that's so rare but the drops and lack of effort are huge downsides.

I forgot BJ Johnson (mom joke). Definitely put X over him. 

50 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I have Shipley as the best receiver in program history because in big games Shipley showed up....Roy's OU games are a big negative.

Roy would look better today if he'd had better coaching at Texas -- Mack/GDGD (sorta) figured it out right after he left for the NFL. He was here for Mack's prime "pussy" years.

• Like 1

Not sure how to rate these (other than Jordan Shipley at #1) but there are the best WR's this school has ever had:

Jordan Shipley

Quan Cosby

Devin Duvernay

LJH

Roy Williams

Kwame Cavil

Mike Adams

Honorable Mention: Xavier Worthy, Wane McGarity, BJ Johnson, Marquise Goodwin, Limas Sweed, Jaxon Shipley

We probably have a few other players in addition to Worthy who will make it on to this list before they leave the 40 Acres.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

what-michael-scott.gif

• Hook 'Em 2