The Big 12 is fucking awful

GreenspointTexas

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

OU at Cincinnati will be the first time I personally watch OU and their biggest test before the RRS. SMU may or may not be a marginally better team than Cincy but the atmosphere of Cincy’s Big 12 opener tips the scales.

Kansas-BYU is pretty interesting. Both undefeated, a little unsure what to make of BYU. Jalon Daniels is fun to watch and Kansas is up next for Texas.

UCF might actually be pretty good and they’re going to take on K State, who I do still think is a pretty good team despite the Mizzou loss - when your opponent hits a 61 yard FG you just tip the cap.

TCU-SMU is a rivalry game. I think it’s actually a pretty interesting week.

I thought Cincy was decent and then they lost to Miami OH at home - something SMU almost assuredly wouldn't do. But they beat Pitt on the road. Who knows. Like you said, I don't think they'd have much of a shot in Norman but it could be a decent road test for OU. Looks like they're getting about 2 TDs.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/18/2023 at 11:30 AM, TrashMaster G said:

Oh, and kidos to OU for dominating the Big XII in football.  I do wish we had had that much success on the gridiron.

Without Texas and OU, the Big XII is taking a big step down.

You guys are being too nice to OU today.  Fuck those motherfuckers!

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, WBT said:

Did you watch any of Pitt-WVU?  Pitt's qb/offense seems godawful.

Nope. Was wondering if Pitt is maybe just garbage. 

SMU cut it to 11-14 in the 4Q in Norman and really should have given them a bigger scare. This won't be a better team but the environment won't be as friendly. I'd be pretty shocked if Cincy wins and I assume it will be one of the less interesting matchups Saturday. Then again OU still has a lot to prove after last year's disaster. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

OU at Cincinnati will be the first time I personally watch OU and their biggest test before the RRS. SMU may or may not be a marginally better team than Cincy but the atmosphere of Cincy’s Big 12 opener tips the scales.

Kansas-BYU is pretty interesting. Both undefeated, a little unsure what to make of BYU. Jalon Daniels is fun to watch and Kansas is up next for Texas.

UCF might actually be pretty good and they’re going to take on K State, who I do still think is a pretty good team despite the Mizzou loss - when your opponent hits a 61 yard FG you just tip the cap.

TCU-SMU is a rivalry game. I think it’s actually a pretty interesting week.

Well, our defense has improved a lot due to a new DC and change in scheme and personnel from the transfer portal.  Our offense is still coming together but not there yet and is struggling to run the ball.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

8 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Well, our defense has improved a lot due to a new DC and change in scheme and personnel from the transfer portal.  Our offense is still coming together but not there yet and is struggling to run the ball.  

I’m not even sure what school you’re talking about, but Texas is going to beat the shit out of them!

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m not even sure what school you’re talking about, but Texas is going to beat the shit out of them!

Texas will have several close games.  Hope they win for your sake but there’s very few teams who beat the shit out of everyone they should. OU choked in big games but what they did here was still impressive.  Especially compared to certain other schools w a lot of resources.  

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Texas will have several close games.  Hope they win for your sake but there’s very few teams who beat the shit out of everyone they should. OU choked in big games but what they did here was still impressive.  Especially compared to certain other schools w a lot of resources.  

OU chokes on dicks, the games are just a side effect.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:47 AM, Js1 said:

If it's not in Dallas, it's going to be one of those midd-November games.  @ TCU if they've figured shit out or @ ISU - mid-to-late November game in Ames, shitty weather probably and they usually play us tough in Ames - 3-3 in our last 6 trips since the lost decade started.

Normally I'd agree but Iowa State is really fucking bad. If we lose that game that's pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 1

I certainly don't think the Big 12 match-ups this weekend are nearly as interesting as many others across the nation, but I do think there are important things left to discover about Texas' opponents going forward.

OU @ Cincinnati - OU's schedule is pathetic and Cincy isn't much more than a speed bump given their offseason losses and the fact that Satterfield is a subpar HC. That considered, Cincy has a top tier DL. How do those guys match-up with OU's OL? Can anyone get to Gabriel? If so, how does he handle it? Gabriel likes to move around and this game carries higher injury risk for him than anyone outside of the Texas game.

SMU @ TCU - I don't think much of Dykes as a developer of a program or of talent. Is this team getting any better than what we saw in week 1? SMU plays good defense. TCU has played pure dogshit since the CU game, so this game should show us something. 

BYU @ Kansas - I didn't get to watch the game, so I am fucking baffled as to how Arkansas lost that game to BYU. Arkansas outgained BYU by 140+ yards. Arkansas held the ball for 35 minutes compared to 25 for BYU. BYU had only one more sack than Arky. Arkansas only had one more turnover. BYU didn't score on any ST mishaps or turnovers. WTF? I figured KU's offense was going to be better than it has shown itself to be so far. This is a match-up of two unbeaten teams who appear to have no real reason for being unbeaten on either end other than scheduling magic. Illinois is a shit team this year. Arkansas seems headed that way. The other opponents are FCS and also-rans. This is a bum fight. I'm cheering for many KU injuries heading into their game with Texas. 

Texas Tech @ WVU - Is Texas Tech capable of winning a road game? WVU's oline, QB, and defense seem like they're all better than anticipated. If Tech wins handily in a tough place to play, they can be taken seriously as a conference contender. If WVU beats them and Tech is off to a 1-3 start, given the all hat and no cattle veneer that McGuire has, IMO, do they just begin to fall apart for the season?

Okie State @ ISU - I won't try to spin this one. I will watch this as well as 7 other games in the 2:30/3 slot and this will be the only one I watch out of morbid curiosity. I feel like there's an argument to be made that the first team to 10 points win the Toilet Bowl.

SHSU @ UH - The only thing interesting for this one will be if SHSU winds up beating them. This looks hideous.

UCF @ KSU - After the bedshitting last weekend to a Missouri team that will finish 5-7, does KSU bounce back against a scrappy UCF team? A loss for KSU here puts them behind the 8 ball in terms of conference standing, and I am all for that. I'd prefer, if Texas takes care of its own bullshit, that Texas not have to play KSU twice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I know Dykes took the Frogs to a national title, but their defensive personnel looks unrecognizable this season. They look weak. Patterson always had dogs at every level of the D. Hodges & Newton are the only ones left.

Eah, more like Dykes went along for the ride. He doesn't sniff a title without that mature roster Patterson brought in and developed. Indeed, what would his season have looked like if Morris hadn't been injured and Duggan rode the pine? Duggan finally put it all together his last season and led a talented, veteran roster to the title game. TCU will now regress to the Dykes' mean.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 10:21 AM, closetojumping said:

BYU @ Kansas - I didn't get to watch the game, so I am fucking baffled as to how Arkansas lost that game to BYU. Arkansas outgained BYU by 140+ yards. Arkansas held the ball for 35 minutes compared to 25 for BYU. BYU had only one more sack than Arky. Arkansas only had one more turnover. BYU didn't score on any ST mishaps or turnovers. WTF? I figured KU's offense was going to be better than it has shown itself to be so far. This is a match-up of two unbeaten teams who appear to have no real reason for being unbeaten on either end other than scheduling magic. Illinois is a shit team this year. Arkansas seems headed that way. The other opponents are FCS and also-rans. This is a bum fight. I'm cheering for many KU injuries heading into their game with Texas. 

BYU is one of the biggest frauds in the country. Look at their wins. 

2-3 Cincinnati (close game)

2-3 Arkansas (close game and were outgained by 150+ yards)

1-4 Southern Utah 

0-4 Sam Houston State (close game)

Then they lost by double digits to 4-1 Kansas. I've seen several people mention BYU as a "trap game" but I don't see it. They suck.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

After yesterday, I'm pretty convinced.  This team has heart, desire, and they don't let up.  At this point, there are only about three things that can stop us from at least making it to the Big12 championship game;  injuries, officials, and bad luck. 

Really concerned about Sanders injury.  If he can be back to play the rest of the year other than OU, I will be very pleased. 

If everybody else in the top 10 loses, we can lose one, win the Big12 game and still be in the playoffs, imo. 

18 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

After yesterday, I'm pretty convinced.  This team has heart, desire, and they don't let up.  At this point, there are only about three things that can stop us from at least making it to the Big12 championship game;  injuries, officials, and bad luck. 

Really concerned about Sanders injury.  If he can be back to play the rest of the year other than OU, I will be very pleased. 

If everybody else in the top 10 loses, we can lose one, win the Big12 game and still be in the playoffs, imo. 

12-1 Texas has at least an 80% shot, regardless. 12-1 Texas with a conference championship is very nearly a mortal lock. 

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

BYU is one of the biggest frauds in the country. Look at their wins. 

2-3 Cincinnati (close game)

2-3 Arkansas (close game and were outgained by 150+ yards)

1-4 Southern Utah 

0-4 Sam Houston State (close game)

Then they lost by double digits to 4-1 Kansas. I've seen several people mention BYU as a "trap game" but I don't see it. They suck.  

In five games that we've played each other, your lone win was by 1 pt at home, a total fluke after our defense wilted in the Texas heat.  The other four have been dominant BYU victories.  One thing our program does is play to the level of our competition.  We will play down to our competition, but we'll also play up to our competition when we have a chip on our shoulders.  This team won't be fucking around on 10/28.

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 9

3 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

In five games that we've played each other, your lone win was by 1 pt at home.  The other four have been dominant BYU victories.  One thing our program does is play to the level of our competition.  We will play down to our competition, but we'll also play up to our competition when we have a chip on our shoulders.  We won't fuck around on 10/28.

image.gif.f34de84076b1c926eac20a957f40fef0.gif

• Haha 7

In five games that we've played each other, your lone win was by 1 pt at home, a total fluke after our defense wilted in the Texas heat.  The other four have been dominant BYU victories.  One thing our program does is play to the level of our competition.  We will play down to our competition, but we'll also play up to our competition when we have a chip on our shoulders.  We won't fuck around on 10/28.

You could play your best game of the season and lose by 2TDs. You can build it up however you like, but you’ve never played this Texas team.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You could play your best game of the season and lose by 2TDs. You can build it up however you like, but you’ve never played this Texas team.

And its also very unlikely for any team to go undefeated.  We could be a trap game for Texas.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 6

In five games that we've played each other, your lone win was by 1 pt at home, a total fluke after our defense wilted in the Texas heat.  The other four have been dominant BYU victories.  One thing our program does is play to the level of our competition.  We will play down to our competition, but we'll also play up to our competition when we have a chip on our shoulders.  This team won't be fucking around on 10/28.

Now do Texas and Vanderbilt. WE'VE DOMINATED YOUR WORST TEAMS IN THE LAST 140 YEARS.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Your team might not be fucking around on 10/28, but they will still be really fucking slow. See you then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And its also very unlikely for any team to go undefeated.  We could be a trap game for Texas.  

Well sure. Anything can happen. We didn’t play flawlessly yesterday and won by 26. I think Bamas opponents other than us but collectively finally scored more than we did. Ole Miss ran up 50 on LSU but only 10 versus Bama. Bama is good.

Here’s what I’ve never seen in my 30 years of watching the Horns live. Never have I seen experimenting with defensive substitutions so early in games and early in the season. Our opponents have schemed to get one of our best players off the field. But it doesn’t help.

So our dudes are competing for time. Every day. There’s likely no trap game by virtue of that. We can go heavy offensively and defensively.

You have to hope your coaches have a great game plan. You have to hope you execute incredibly well. Then you have to hope offensively we are off. You will not have much room for error.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

Your four wins were as follows:

1987: 7-5

1988: 4-7

2013: 8-5

2014: 6-7

Those are the records UT finished with in those seasons.

Congrats on consistently catching us at, shall we say, less than our best.

I don't think you'll have that luck this year.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Well sure. Anything can happen. We didn’t play flawlessly yesterday and won by 26. I think Bamas opponents other than us but collectively finally scored more than we did. Ole Miss ran up 50 on LSU but only 10 versus Bama. Bama is good.

Here’s what I’ve never seen in my 30 years of watching the Horns live. Never have I seen experimenting with defensive substitutions so early in games and early in the season. Our opponents have schemed to get one of our best players off the field. But it doesn’t help.

So our dudes are competing for time. Every day. There’s likely no trap game by virtue of that. We can go heavy offensively and defensively.

You have to hope your coaches have a great game plan. You have to hope you execute incredibly well. Then you have to hope offensively we are off. You will not have much room for error.

From Saban's lips to Sark's ears to our football program.  You can think what you want of Nick but that's always been his secret sauce....nobody ever gets too comfortable.  

54 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah. We're fucking nice. I told y'all after the Wyoming game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Wait - I'm not sure how I missed this.

10/28 you are strutting into the fucking Colosseum and you are going to be beaten to death in bloody fashion at the behest of our fans. 

You actually think you have a fucking shot in that game? Jesus H. man find some other game to worry about on your schedule. 

I mean hell - OU might get the best of us this weekend but holy fuck this crappy BYU team isn't doing shit in DKR. You're delusional. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Wait - I'm not sure how I missed this.

10/28 you are strutting into the fucking Colosseum and you are going to be beaten to death in bloody fashion at the behest of our fans. 

You actually think you have a fucking shot in that game? Jesus H. man find some other game to worry about on your schedule. 

I mean hell - OU might get the best of us this weekend but holy fuck this crappy BYU team isn't doing shit in DKR. You're delusional. 

I'm pretty sure y'all say the same thing each time facing Kansas State.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 8