tOSU at ND

smwhorn

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That you would defend that fuck up and make excuses is asinine.  I will give him the slightest leeway in that interview since it was after the game, so maybe his head was still spinning a little, but if he comes out this week and continues to defend that and make a case why it was better to go with 10 rather than be penalized, move it up 6 inches and reset, then everything in his life needs to be questioned.

It is beyond ridiculous to think it was better to go without a lineman on the goalline rather than resetting.  

• Like 1

Any single living soul that has the poor fucking taste and poor fucking form to ever root for ohio state playing anyone except for ou is at the top of my fucking list to be fucking euthanized when I become king. Along with north metroplex real estate agents, ohio state fans will be the first. Then people who hurt kids and animals. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Yeah Day talking shit about Lou Holtz is in really bad taste even for Ohio State. 
I've got no problem with Holtz being called out. He was unquestionably one of the dirtiest coaches of his time, leaving schools for better opportunities just before the next administration was dealt sanctions for shit done under his watch. But he parlayed that ND championship into his image as the Resolute and Honorable Coach of Yesteryear on TV for decades. He's probably a lot closer to Paterno than anyone wants to admit or investigate.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

*biggest 2 plays. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that and he managed to do it at one of the biggest moments possible.

Not to mention the Irish called TO before the incomplete on the second-to-last play and STILL didn't figure out they only had 10 men on the field.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Not to mention the Irish called TO before the incomplete on the second-to-last play and STILL didn't figure out they only had 10 men on the field.

Right, that was the most terrible thing.  They saw what tOSU came out in, called their timeout to set their defense....and sent 10.  Also given that it was incomplete pass on the 2nd down play tOSU wasn't rushing to run that 3rd down play.  The ball was snapped with 8 seconds left on the play clock so they had 32 seconds to run somebody on.  

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah Day talking shit about Lou Holtz is in really bad taste even for Ohio State. 

Confirmed how soft Day is that something Holtz said when backing his old team on a TV bit made him so emotional. Seems like Day should have better things to worry about and certainly not even give a 2nd thought.

6 hours ago, hobbs said:

I've rooted against ND since I was a kid, but found myself actively pulling for them last night.

Ohio St. is the worst, as anyone who went to Columbus in 2005 can attest. Plus, Ryan Day seems like he might be a total piece of shit.

well he is the head coach at Ohio State.  Its possible John Cooper is the only outlier since Woody.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Confirmed how soft Day is that something Holtz said when backing his old team on a TV bit made him so emotional. Seems like Day should have better things to worry about and certainly not even give a 2nd thought.

I’m shocked the OSU sports information people didn’t tell Day that Lou Holtz has dementia.  Ignorance isn’t a defense. 

7 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

He also discussed having dementia in the same interview, so maybe Day should take it easy on gramps. It’s not like he said it on College Football Final. He was there to hype up the ND crowd on the fucking Pat McAfee show.

Good win for Ohio St, but they aren’t very scary with that JAG at QB. He just looks scared and would shit himself against our DL.

McCord was 11-13 for 155 yards and 9 first downs on third down throws.  If that’s scared I’ll take it every day.  I can tell you that he doesn’t throw the ball off his back foot every other throw.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

McCord was 11-13 for 155 yards and 9 first downs on third down throws.  If that’s scared I’ll take it every day.  I can tell you that he doesn’t throw the ball off his back foot every other throw.  

Hey man, I just didn’t like his vibe as I glanced down sparingly in between plays in the Texas game. I’m just happy y’all don’t seem to have a cyborg back there like always, never said he won’t win a lot of games. Go ahead and compare McCord’s performance against a top 10 team on the road with Quinn’s though.

3 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Hey man, I just didn’t like his vibe as I glanced down sparingly in between plays in the Texas game. I’m just happy y’all don’t seem to have a cyborg back there like always, never said he won’t win a lot of games. Go ahead and compare McCord’s performance against a top 10 team on the road with Quinn’s though.

It’s an observation and if you’ll look at the Ewers thread I praised him after the Alabama game.  That doesn’t change the fact that Ewers has some really bad habits that lead to being inconsistent.  If he can fix those he’s all World but they still need fixing and he’s in his third year in college. 

Edited by VABuckeye

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lou Holtz is a big boy. He stuck his mouth out there and got called out. He earned every bit of that rant, but Holtz has never been able to keep his mouth shut. Maybe someone should have told him to shut up, but he's a self-righteous twat. He's not a friend of the Texas program and can have a stroke, crawl off into the underbrush, and die for all I care. Ten years from now he'll just be that know-it-all guy with the funny lisp.

Day stood up for his team and his program. I hope our coach would do the same.

Edited by Saint Tacky
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Lou Holtz is a big boy. He stuck his mouth out there and got called out. He earned every bit of that rant, but Holtz has never been able to keep his mouth shut. Maybe someone should have told him to shut up, but he's a self-righteous twat. He's not a friend of the Texas program and can have a stroke, crawl off into the underbrush, and die for all I care. Ten years from now he'll just be that know-it-all guy with the funny lisp.

Wtf. I just watched the Holtz bit. He’s literally doing magic tricks and poking fun at his own dementia while playing to a Notre Dame crowd. It’s completely in the spirit of fun. Day is the softest coach in America if that got under his skin. What a baby back bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

Wtf. I just watched the Holtz bit. He’s literally doing magic tricks and poking fun at his own dementia while playing to a Notre Dame crowd. It’s completely in the spirit of fun. Day is the softest coach in America if that got under his skin. What a baby back bitch. 

Boo hoo. He could have been making animal balloons at a pediatric burn center. Who fucking cares. Apparently you aren’t aware of what a prick he is and what a giant pain in the balls he was for our program. The best magic trick he could perform is to make himself disappear. 

1 minute ago, Saint Tacky said:

Boo hoo. He could have been making animal balloons at a pediatric burn center. Who fucking cares. Apparently you aren’t aware of what a prick he is and what a giant pain in the balls he was for our program. The best magic trick he could perform is to make himself disappear. 

Thank goodness mighty Coach Day was there to defend Ohio from the drooling clown

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I hope our coach wouldn’t acknowledge it. Day showed his ass last night. My summation of the ordeal is, fuck Lou Holtz forever, and fuck Ohio St forever. 

10 hours ago, AbeFroman said:

That you would defend that fuck up and make excuses is asinine.  I will give him the slightest leeway in that interview since it was after the game, so maybe his head was still spinning a little, but if he comes out this week and continues to defend that and make a case why it was better to go with 10 rather than be penalized, move it up 6 inches and reset, then everything in his life needs to be questioned.

It is beyond ridiculous to think it was better to go without a lineman on the goalline rather than resetting.  

How exactly do you think they should have reset? They had no timeouts and were backed up in the end zone. Is there a way to get another lineman out there without an obvious offside as he tries to run across the field, thus giving Ohio State a free play and even more chances to win?

Obviously there was a massive fuckup in only have 10 guys out there but would love to hear what you think Freeman should have done once that was noticed.

8 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

How exactly do you think they should have reset? They had no timeouts and were backed up in the end zone. Is there a way to get another lineman out there without an obvious offside as he tries to run across the field, thus giving Ohio State a free play and even more chances to win?

Obviously there was a massive fuckup in only have 10 guys out there but would love to hear what you think Freeman should have done once that was noticed.

Simple, tell one of the defenders to contact an offensive player. Dead ball, half the distance, you have time to run on the 11th defender.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Simple, tell one of the defenders to contact an offensive player. Dead ball, half the distance, you have time to run on the 11th defender.

How? Can anyone on the field hear that if a coach yells? I legit don't know if that's realistic.

You could tell the player running on to do that but I don't think you'd have time before the free play.

I guess maybe if a coach runs out on the field, is that a sideline infraction without a free play?

9 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

You can take an obvious offside before the play, you could fake an injury, which is common, you could take any type of penalty.  Coaches could have literally run on the field if need be.  
In the moment he didn’t think a full squad was necessary, and they ran right in the area that was vacant. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SameSame said:

I guess we’ll never know all the communication going on, but I would seriously doubt the head coach is involved any rotation talk unless he’s also calling plays.

But I would hope someone including the coach would realize they only had 10 players on field for final TWO plays.

• Haha 1

Maybe he just misunderstood Buddy Ryan’s Polish Goal Line Defense.

https://coachgarner.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/polish-goal-line-defense-a-blast-from-the-past-2/#:~:text=In a most unusual formation,precious seconds from the clock.

Spoiler

Knowing the rules and how to manipulate them is often an aid to coaches as the diagram below will illustrate.  It’s from the Houston Oilers’ playbook in 1993, the one season Buddy Ryan spent as the team’s defensive coordinator. It depicts a special goal-line formation Ryan designed for the end of the half or the end of the game—situations in which there were “less than 15 seconds” according to Ryan.

You’ll notice that there are 14 defenders. The idea is to allow the offense to run a free play, which more than 11 defenders would presumably be able to stop, with the understanding that a penalty has to be taken. The purpose is to force precious seconds to waste away, leaving the offense with less time to maneuver. The wonder is why Ryan stopped at 14 players.

The Polish Goal Line defense was followed up by Ryan’s “Polish Punt Team” which he introduced to football lore while coaching the Philadelphia Eagles.  In a most unusual formation, the Polish Punt Team was designed to prevent a blocked kick or a long runback.  In it, Ryan sent 14 men onto the field for a crucial last-minute punt. At the worst, the expected penalty for too many men on the field would set the Eagles back 5 yards but drain precious seconds from the clock.

To the surprise of the Eagles, no flag was thrown and the safest punt in NFL history was executed without mishap. Was Ryan sheepish about employing such a questionable tactic? Hardly. When asked during the taping of his weekly television show about the propriety of having 14 men on the field, Ryan did note a flaw in the strategy. “There should have been 15,” he snapped.

Edit: in terms of killing the play, is too many men a dead ball penalty in college? If so, they should have sent about five players running on to the field to kill the play.

Edited by Mole

1 hour ago, AbeFroman said:

You can take an obvious offside before the play, you could fake an injury, which is common, you could take any type of penalty.  Coaches could have literally run on the field if need be.  
In the moment he didn’t think a full squad was necessary, and they ran right in the area that was vacant. 

nobody on the field knew they were down a man so no one thought to fake an injury or start running toward the QB.  that was another issue.  usually there is a player(safety) assigned to make sure you have 11 as well.

video of what was actually going on on the sideline would help but my guess is that nobody that was in charge realized the situation regardless of the "we were trying to run someone on but it was too late" explanation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Day wouldn't be that triggered unless there was some truth in what Holtz said. What a fucking weirdo.

And Freeman isn't fooling anyone.

Yep

Both these coaches are frauds, the big 10 is going to get boat raced in the playoffs again no matter which team goes. 

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, there's a ton of ways to get to the same conclusion. Notre Dame choked.

image.png.56dd301759ee1b904482c8063cb26ad4.png

Klatt is tearing their ass up lol

1 hour ago, Mole said:

https://coachgarner.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/polish-goal-line-defense-a-blast-from-the-past-2/#:~:text=In a most unusual formation,precious seconds from the clock.

Reveal hidden contents

Knowing the rules and how to manipulate them is often an aid to coaches as the diagram below will illustrate.  It’s from the Houston Oilers’ playbook in 1993, the one season Buddy Ryan spent as the team’s defensive coordinator. It depicts a special goal-line formation Ryan designed for the end of the half or the end of the game—situations in which there were “less than 15 seconds” according to Ryan.

You’ll notice that there are 14 defenders. The idea is to allow the offense to run a free play, which more than 11 defenders would presumably be able to stop, with the understanding that a penalty has to be taken. The purpose is to force precious seconds to waste away, leaving the offense with less time to maneuver. The wonder is why Ryan stopped at 14 players.

The Polish Goal Line defense was followed up by Ryan’s “Polish Punt Team” which he introduced to football lore while coaching the Philadelphia Eagles.  In a most unusual formation, the Polish Punt Team was designed to prevent a blocked kick or a long runback.  In it, Ryan sent 14 men onto the field for a crucial last-minute punt. At the worst, the expected penalty for too many men on the field would set the Eagles back 5 yards but drain precious seconds from the clock.

To the surprise of the Eagles, no flag was thrown and the safest punt in NFL history was executed without mishap. Was Ryan sheepish about employing such a questionable tactic? Hardly. When asked during the taping of his weekly television show about the propriety of having 14 men on the field, Ryan did note a flaw in the strategy. “There should have been 15,” he snapped.

Edit: in terms of killing the play, is too many men a dead ball penalty in college? If so, they should have sent about five players running on to the field to kill the play.

too many men is live.  you play and can take result of play or take penalty.

2 hours ago, Mole said:

Reveal hidden contents

If the extra player is in formation, it's deadball now in both leagues. This prevents polish defense from being effective.

If he's running on/off they let the play go.

• Hook 'Em 2

The Defensive Coordinator is in a booth. He can see it and he’s got at least 5 guys looking at it and reporting directly to him.  

Can you imagine how much Freeman’s butt hole puckered up with confusion when they started yelling, We Only Got 10!

what what fuck it

3 hours ago, SameSame said:

I guess we’ll never know all the communication going on, but I would seriously doubt the head coach is involved any rotation talk unless he’s also calling plays.

He was the DC before being promoted to head coach after Brian Kelly left for LSU. I don’t know how responsibilities are divided among the staff but you would think Marcus would be more tuned in to what’s going on with the defense than the offense. And in that situation there wasn’t any reason to be thinking ahead to another potential offensive possession anyway. Maybe his deal with Al Golden is that Al’s in charge and Marcus will keep his hands off. I don’t know. It’s just hard to understand how a defensive minded head coach could miss something like that, especially in the biggest game of his young career. You gotta figure he’s going to be more hands-on in the future. They’ve got USC coming to town in a few weeks and they can’t afford any more mistakes like that.