Week 5, 2023: Kansas at Texas

Wulaw Horn

Scares you to death thinking of the last time KU played here. Mobile QB and the rest of the team continues to improve on Offense year over year. Beat a bunch of 26 year old Mormons too a couple weeks ago. Hands are completely full. This is not your dad's Kansas. Looking ahead to OU

Think I covered all the bases here and got a BINGO.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everyone remember there is a big NIL tailgate before the Kansas game. Members from the Women’s Basketball and Men’s Basketball team will be there as well as a few staff members. We are trying to hit a goal of 38 sign ups for Texas one fund on a monthly basis on that Saturday so drop by and sign up there and enjoy some Pinkerton’s bbq, beer and seltzers from Faust distributing and their brands and dulce vida tequila. 

Will hopefully get by there with another surlyite that probably needs to sign up for texas one. 

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Absent Mangino’s 2004 nonsense — which, if I’m not mistaken, he waddled back after the fact — I can’t think of any reason why a nice, thorough beatdown and a pat on the head won’t be enough for Kansas on Saturday. 

Maintain gap integrity, field punts, stop getting beat deep, profit. 

They paid in 2005 for that sin and it was glorious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They paid in 2005 for that sin and it was glorious. 

I was corresponding with some KU fans at the time and they believed that they had a good shot at winning in Austin. I tried to explain that it wasn’t going to work out well for them at all, not the least reason of which is that Mangino probably pissed off VY with his comments. But, yes, it was glorious. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We should win of course. But watch Kansas be a trendy upset pick on Gameday and Big Noon Kickoff. I fully expect Stanford Steve to say Texas won’t cover. 

We might win by 35 going away if they just can’t function on offense bc our DLine wrecks them and we don’t stop ourselves on offense, but yeah wouldn’t surprise me if it’s 48-38 either. 
My guess is Texas favored by 13.5?  
If so I won’t touch that game. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We should win of course. But watch Kansas be a trendy upset pick on Gameday and Big Noon Kickoff. I fully expect Stanford Steve to say Texas won’t cover.

does vegas have a line yet?  draftkings is guessing -23.5

that's a hell of a cover given sark is showing mack tendencies to call off the dogs

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i can't remember a smoking crater on special teams like we had last night

unfortunately, auburn is not clutch, great kid, wish he had the dawserxtuckmojo

maybe we should have dedicated kick fielders?

Did you watch our 2016 game at okie lite? Or our 2010 Curtis Brown muff special?

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

If KU scores 38 points I will only eat skyline chili and Dickeys BBQ for the rest of my life. 

We could fumble a ball and muff a punt or throw a pick six or 3 and out a couple times. That’s not saying they are going to drive the ball 75 yards at a time on us 5 times to get there. 

Just now, hookemATL said:

Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

I like this team a whole lot. I’ve been on record as being all in on sark gonna get us there since spring of 22. This game is tricky and it scares me more than any other. I think KU is a better team than OU or anyone else on our schedule other than maybe KSU, and matchup wise KSU doesn’t scare me as much as KU because they don’t do anything as well as KU does offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i can't remember a smoking crater on special teams like we had last night

unfortunately, auburn is not clutch, great kid, wish he had the dawserxtuckmojo

maybe we should have dedicated kick fielders?

You must not have been at that home opener against North Carolina State back around 1999 or so.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 7

Texas had better buckle up for this game.   It has all the trappings of a letdown at home before the RRS.   A Texas team that executes is what I need to see.   Limited penalties.   A dialed in Ewers and receiving corp.   dominant defense and an O like that can exert itself and grind down other teams.   Focus and execution.   

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like this team a whole lot. I’ve been on record as being all in on sark gonna get us there since spring of 22. This game is tricky and it scares me more than any other. I think KU is a better team than OU or anyone else on our schedule other than maybe KSU, and matchup wise KSU doesn’t scare me as much as KU because they don’t do anything as well as KU does offense. 

Stop being a pussy. 

Kansas is well coached and plucky. They have a fun offense. They’re also small on both sides of the ball. The best player on their team is the QB and the focus will be on boxing him in. 

Texas is going to bully Kansas on both sides of the ball. I expect Texas to roll in the end. You should too. 

39 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I can, though I’d rather not. 

I look back on that North Carolina State game with fond memories. 

• Hook 'Em 7

We contained Milroe and sacked him 5 times while facing Alabama Crimson Tide's monster offensive line. I'm not worried about Daniels running on us. Ant Hill is plenty capable of spying him.

My biggest concern is that Daniels scrambles just long enough to buy enough time to pick on our slow safeties.

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The more I look into Kansas, the more I think we are overrating who they are this year. Last year, they definitely showed signs of explosiveness on offense. This year, against very pedestrian competition, not so much. Maybe they've been saving everything for this game. Almost lost to a winless Nevada team and looked average against BYU yesterday. 

I worry about us taking them lightly because we trounced them last year, but they're undefeated so hopefully we respect them and come ready to play.

• Hook 'Em 2

Raise your hand if you had Kansas at Texas as the only ranked on ranked, undefeated on undefeated matchup for Week 5...

Should be a fun game and atmosphere. Considering making the drive up from Houston, I'd be much more inclined to do so if it wasn't going to be hot as hell. That will likely be an advantage for Texas in general but especially in the second half as some shade creeps over the Texas sideline, for KU not so much.

Jalon Daniels is a straight baller and will probably be the best QB Texas sees all season. Alabama showed the Texas secondary can be had and while I expect the defensive front to put a lot of pressure on Daniels he has a lot of escape ability. I expect a some chunk plays for KU. A key for Texas could be limiting those to just 40 yard completions and regrouping instead of 60 yard TDs.

I could definitely see this being competitive if we get that plus the offensively inconsistent version of Texas, if the special teams meltdown carries over, or if the one or two should-have-been-picked throws Ewers has been making the past couple games actually turns into an INT, etc. Really only losable if it is all of the above. Honestly though I have a tough time seeing KU get over the top just because I think Texas has a pretty big advantage on both LOS. That is always very difficult to overcome and will be even more so in the summer-like heat.

And of course if Texas is sharp on offense I think the KU defense has a very long day. Ideally I'd like to see Texas do what some other teams have done to them - play efficient ball control offense and just not give Jalon Daniels a ton of chances.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Stop being a pussy. 

Kansas is well coached and plucky. They have a fun offense. They’re also small on both sides of the ball. The best player on their team is the QB and the focus will be on boxing him in. 

Texas is going to bully Kansas on both sides of the ball. I expect Texas to roll in the end. You should too. 

I look back on that North Carolina State game with fond memories. 

I do expect us to roll for the reasons you said. That doesn’t mean it isn’t the trickiest/most likely to lose game left on the schedule. Don’t want to play with fire here. Need to focus and give it our best attention and effort. Don’t think about OU until 6:00 pm next Saturday. OU isn’t good enough to occupy any mind space this week. 

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

We contained Milroe and sacked him 5 times while facing Alabama Crimson Tide's monster offensive line. I'm not worried about Daniels running on us. Ant Hill is plenty capable of spying him.

My biggest concern is that Daniels scrambles just long enough to buy enough time to pick on our slow safeties.

Taffee should not be in the game….   Wtf he’s still getting big chunks of play time is crazy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic