Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

Plan to get there no later than 8 no matter what method of transportation you use.  Buy enough coupons for entire day first thing. Get your Fletchers before 8:45AM.  Don't wait until last minute to head into stadium. Plan to be in seats no later than 10:30.   That's the best advice I can give.

Yeah, everything moves slow in the morning. Getting there via DART is easy enough (Uber has hit the same traffic issues as driving in my experience) but coupons, food/beer lines, entrance to the game… all slow as hell. Just a critical mass of people.

Game Day being set up on site will take up that much more space slow things down even more. If you aren’t queuing up to get into the Cotton Bowl by like 10:15 you will miss kick.

Honestly, eat breakfast before, bring a flask if so inclined (they also sell beer in the Cotton Bowl now), and then get your fair fare after the game.

14 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 

I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 

I would say make sure you are there when the players arrive but it has become pretty mellow with the barricades. It use to be that police on horses cleared the way just before arrival so one use to get a front seat view of the players getting off the bus. Make sure you are in your seats before the teams come out. The energy just build and builds and it is worth watching Texas run out of the tunnel. Drink and food before the game and when Texas wins then all the rest can be done with joy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 
I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 
Unless you're flying in and staying in Dallas somewhere not too far from fair park, I'd say parking and DART is your best bet. (says someone driving from FW, but whatever..I like independence)

The obvious is game plus fair after, but if the state fair isn't your thing then there are plenty of good restaurants in Dallas (yelp is your friend) and they have some decent night life as well. (Haven't been a club rat in many years now so can't give recs, Deep Ellum has changed in the past decade)

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm all for being 2022 TCU. Means we are in the national championship game. But the difference is, Texas isn't TCU and isn't getting beat by 60 in that game because they actually have the speed and talent to match up with anyone who gets there. You don't apologize for any wins. Win and move on.

I commented in that title game that, despite them having such a great season, I didn't really envy them. And this is why: 2022 TCU now basically means "fraud team" to the rest of the country. It isn't fair but when you get demolished like that in a title game, you become a joke no matter what amazing things you did to get there. Just ask the Buffalo Bills.

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

While I’m sure your resume is impressive 

The Bears coach has a better football resume than me, did you see what he did this past weekend? Greg Davis had a better resume than me. I could make better decisions than him after killing off half a bottle of Jim Beam.

If you have to resort to resume talk, you've already lost the debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

OU's path to winning is needing to be at least +2 in turnovers.  And for Quinn to be off.

well, if the play calling gets discombobulated, running game is abandoned, QE has nervous feet, etc. then turnovers are certainly on the table.  again, i see a LOS mudhole with the bad guys on their backs all day long. so fuck this how does OU win bullshit.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Josef Pwag said:

The Bears coach has a better football resume than me, did you see what he did this past weekend? Greg Davis had a better resume than me. I could make better decisions than him after killing off half a bottle of Jim Beam.

If you have to resort to resume talk, you've already lost the debate. 

You miss the part where I said Sarkisian is pretty good at it? Apparently. That distinguishes him from your examples. 

Sarkisian doesn’t call them because he’s stupid. You may not agree with his rationale, but he does pretty well with it. 

16 hours ago, Ur Daddy said:

I’m glad you said Big 8 because that is not true since the Big 12.

Home & home with Notre Dame (1st year being ND’s NC game year), Tennessee w Josh Dobbs who just kicked the piss out of our Cowboys, Ohio State, UCLA (better than Maryland), Nebraska, Miami, Oregon, Florida State, Alabama, BYU, Cincinatti (Brian Kelly).

OU has had the lions share of major OOC games the past 20 years.

im too lazy to look up Big 8 years, so I’ll just have to take your word on that for now.

Shut up, dummy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Quinn has actually has scary good numbers against the blitz.  It's when he felt like the pocket was collapsing that his happy feet would kick in.  But he's done much better with that also and started to climb the pocket instead of trying to back away.

Quinn has off of these type of games (Bama x2 and OU. Sucks last year). Hopefully that continues. 

Outside of the Xs and Os, I like us in this game. Our players have  been in this game before so the environment of the RRR won't be overwhelming (those who haven't, have a game at Bama under their belt). OU has 48 new players on their team and their QB hasn't taken a snap in the cotton bowl.

Out players have a big time game under their belt this year in a wild, hostile environment (actually lost the lead in it and held their composure) OU hasn't seen either.

Iowa St gouged OU on the ground for  over 150 yards with only 190 yards passing. The only thing that stopped ISU's ground game was the score. Cincy moved the ball on the ground well also. But OU on the other hand struggled running the ball vs the only team they played with a decent run defense, Cincy, and it showed on the scoreboard. 

Our lines have worn out everyone we've faced on both sides of the nall, including Alabama's and OUs lines are no  Alabama's in size or depth.  That is why we've suddenly become a 2nd half-4th quarter team. No ones lines have anything left in the tank in the 4th quarter. 

The way we were able to grind the last 7+ minutes off the clock by running the ball up the middle against Alabama in their own stadium with only a 10 point lead says it all. They were still checked in emotionally,  but not physically.  I think the shock of us  actually beating them topped with how we were able to manhandle them like that at the end of why they were checked out against USF.  The only game that didn't end the same was Baylor

The only thing that kept our games from being a complete blowout (including Alabama) wasn't their defense.  We've left 1 or 2 touchdowns off the scoreboard in all our games that were there, but WTF mistakes by a player, and not defensive play have kept  the score from getting totally out of hand.

OU's best shot at a win is to get on us early and make mentally check out, because if it's close midway through the 3rd, things will start to get ugly for OU as our Big Nasties in the trenches begin to really impose their will...

We've faced a strong  defense this year without issues...  The only somewhat decent defense OU has seen was Cincy and they cannot say the same. We've faced a good offense, be it with a backup QB, but seeing that he has a couple of years of experience as a starter, and was the starting QB for the Kansas opener this year, going 22 of 28 (78.6% completion rate),  2 TDs 0 INTs, to say he's inept  at running their offense is, well... OU hasn't seen an offense to speak of.

Personally, I think Texas comes to play and puts OU away without much issue.  The score will probably not reflect what's actually happening on the field for awhile, but when it ends, there Will be a 2 or 3 score separation.

Or this OU team might collapse once again.  They've faces no competition, no adversity, and no Texas this year.  So if Texas puts them in a hole early  there could very well be residual effects from that ass beating they took last year. 

But it is football and we've all know, especially in this game, how good or bad either have been during the season leading up to the game doesn't mean shit. The only certainty in the RRR is that no matter how many times we hit them, OU will continue to suck no matter how hard we try to knock that suck out of them.  Death. Taxes, and OU SUCKs

you and I have said the same thing. I think Texas controls the LOS from start to finish, I think it looks closer than it is. I actually expect a near mirror image of the Texas-Bama game except OU doesn't take the lead late. Texas just pulls away. I think QE, the run game, the play calling, and the front seven on D just fuck OU up and are clutch all game long.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

you and I have said the same thing. I think Texas controls the LOS from start to finish, I think it looks closer than it is. I actually expect a near mirror image of the Texas-Bama game except OU doesn't take the lead late. Texas just pulls away. I think QE, the run game, the play calling, and the front seven on D just fuck OU up and are clutch all game long.

My base case is Texas wins via controlling the LOS, but OU keeps it interesting with some big hitting pass plays over the top. Things that could change that, which are very possible, are turnover issues and/or OU getting really exotic defensively and the OL struggling to diagnose and block those pressure packages. Either/or could lead to the defense getting worn out while the offense stalls and give OU the upper hand.

I don't think the Texas secondary is that good and I expect OU to move the ball a lot between the 20's and hit over the top a few times. I do trust the Texas defense in the red zone though.

Edited by gmr548

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

My base case is Texas wins via controlling the LOS, but OU keeps it interesting with some big hitting pass plays over the top. Things that could change that, which are very possible, are turnover issues and/or OU getting really exotic defensively and the OL struggling to diagnose and block those pressure packages. Either/or could lead to the defense getting worn out while the offense stalls and give OU the upper hand.

I don't think the Texas secondary is that good and I expect OU to move the ball a lot between the 20's and hit over the top a few times. I do trust the Texas defense in the red zone though.

OU in the red zone against Texas’ defense is a losing endeavor. We need to strike prior to condensing the field. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

well, if the play calling gets discombobulated, running game is abandoned, QE has nervous feet, etc. then turnovers are certainly on the table.  again, i see a LOS mudhole with the bad guys on their backs all day long. so fuck this how does OU win bullshit.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hold on to your butts if true

You guys did not pay much attention to this, but you should.  This crew called our Oklahoma State and Baylor games last year.  OSU and Baylor were penalized a combined total of one time for two yards.  UT was charged with 19 penalties for a total of 138 yards.

Upthread were posts regarding the crew's incompetence, but these stats indicate something more imo.  The fact that the REF (Kevin Mar) is from Omaha, Nebraska might support my belief too.

The fact that this shit ass crew was chosen to call the conference championship game indicates that Commissioner Yormark supports them.  That fucking jack wagon wants them to "take care of business" now that the Joey McGuire has proven to be a fraud.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, cochamps said:

You guys did not pay much attention to this, but you should.  This crew called our Oklahoma State and Baylor games last year.  OSU and Baylor were penalized a combined total of one time for two yards.  UT was charged with 19 penalties for a total of 138 yards.

Upthread were posts regarding the crew's incompetence, but these stats indicate something more imo.  The fact that the REF (Kevin Mar) is from Omaha, Nebraska might support my belief too.

The fact that this shit ass crew was chosen to call the conference championship game indicates that Commissioner Yormark supports them.  That fucking jack wagon wants them to "take care of business" now that the Joey McGuire has proven to be a fraud.

We're all well aware of who this guy is and what he's done. He's also had some really terrible games for OU. There is no doubt we're headed for some fuckery here, but short of kidnapping him the morning of the game, what do you expect anyone to do about it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

1) If you're not staying downtown, there are two surface lots at Pearl & Ross downtown.  Drive down there, park, and get on the DART from the Pearl Street station.  That's the last downtown station on the way to Fair Park, and the ride is less than 10 minutes.

If you're staying downtown, just walk to the nearest DART station.

2) You probably want to be at the Fair not later than 8:30.  Get your coupons immediately--the lines start to get long around 8:30.  Get your corn dog and wax-paper cup beer.

3) The State Fair has a good website with maps of the Fairgrounds.  I just go in for a corn dog and beer before the game--no need to upset the stomach too much before the stress of the game.  But if you want to stress your constitution with a deep-fried birria bomb, have at it.

4) Post-game, losers should depart as quickly as possible.  Winners own the Midway.

5) I go over to Craft & Growler across Parry Ave. from the Fair (right across from the DART station).  They have a great selection of beers, and there are plenty of televisions to watch the other games.  It makes good sense to have a couple beers over there while the crowds at the DART station die down.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

We're all well aware of who this guy is and what he's done. He's also had some really terrible games for OU. There is no doubt we're headed for some fuckery here, but short of kidnapping him the morning of the game, what do you expect anyone to do about it?

Well,I am not willing to do what needs to be done.  A tire iron might be in order if someone sees him pregame though.  😉

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just so I’m clear, we’re ruling out that possibility?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Glad to hear that we are not the only ones that he has screwed.  My main concern is the Nebraska angle for this game.  Hopefully, it will be a "push" between the two heathens abandoning the Big XII and nothing more.  Not confident of that, however.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, I love a good caper. I'm here to help on the plotting and scheming part of it, I guess. 

He lives in Omaha, NE, likely at 19724 Jacobs St., Zip 68135. His phone number could well be 402-943-9622, or 402-616-7703, or 402-812-0923.

If someone wishes to wrap the house or spray paint "OU RULEZ!!" in crimson on his sidewalk or prank him in the middle of the night on his cell phone telling him that he better call plays in favor of Oklahoma, have at it. 

Maybe I should send a truckload of vasoline to DKR before the team leaves?  😀

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, I love a good caper. I'm here to help on the plotting and scheming part of it, I guess. 

He lives in Omaha, NE, likely at 19724 Jacobs St., Zip 68135. His phone number could well be 402-943-9622, or 402-616-7703, or 402-812-0923.

If someone wishes to wrap the house or spray paint "OU RULEZ!!" in crimson on his sidewalk or prank him in the middle of the night on his cell phone telling him that he better call plays in favor of Oklahoma, have at it. 

Are you writing to me on a public forum? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here, I'm closing the browser! Prank poster, prank poster!

I was thinking more of an old school Mission: Impossible limo switch or something. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I misread this as your best case and started dying laughing, as the best case calls for us to win by 5 or 6 Td’s as we overwhelm them, prove them to be frauds and then they quit. That’s very much on the table imo. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Screenshot2023-10-02at16_12_06.thumb.png.ab86467f017efbc0c2630807d61b7f7c.png

Done. However, I may have left too much evidence on the roof.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

I misread this as your best case and started dying laughing, as the best case calls for us to win by 5 or 6 Td’s as we overwhelm them, prove them to be frauds and then they quit. That’s very much on the table imo. 

I actually agree that the bell curve of possible outcomes has a long tail in Texas by 2+ possession land.

What a world.

52 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Sarcastic Bill Burr GIF by Desus & Mero

4 hours ago, cochamps said:

Some 33 years ago, In the same stadium where we’ll be playing Saturday, I watched a team inflict a merciless beating on us while simultaneously incurring over 200 yards in penalties, none of which they gave a flying fuck about. It could have been 400 penalty yards and it wouldn’t have made a goddamn bit of difference.

The moral of the story - TCOB on the field and the refs can’t do a fucking thing to you…

EDIT - Fucking NINE unsportsmanlike flags; didn’t mean shit…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Are you writing to me on a public forum? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here, I'm closing the browser! Prank poster, prank poster!

I was thinking more of an old school Mission: Impossible limo switch or something. 

Nice Pulp Fiction reference with the words being changed. I like it

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Some 30+ years ago, In the same stadium where we’ll be playing Saturday, I watched a team inflict a merciless beating on us while simultaneously incurring over 200 yards in penalties, none of which they gave a flying fuck about.

The moral of the story - TCOB on the field and the refs can’t do a fucking thing to you…

The difference being those thugs actually committed the penalties.  We shouldn't have to fight through fucking rigged wresting match shit.  

Big 12 refs are going to fuck both of us all year. Have a feeling they only fuck with us in this game with us being the driving force behind the move and the preseason/Tech game comments by Yormark. Won’t make a shit though. We are inevitable.

50 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Some 33 years ago, In the same stadium where we’ll be playing Saturday, I watched a team inflict a merciless beating on us while simultaneously incurring over 200 yards in penalties, none of which they gave a flying fuck about. It could have been 400 penalty yards and it wouldn’t have made a goddamn bit of difference.

Why you gotta bring that up man??? I am still seeing a therapist about that.