Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

On 10/1/2023 at 7:39 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Probably right but OU has played nowhere near the level of defense as Texas. Here are the defensive efficiency rankings of teams OU has played. 

Arkansas State #120

SMU #33

Tulsa #90

Cincy #70

Iowa State #63

The only team OU has played with a pulse on defense is SMU and they held OU to 28 points and only 365 yards of offense. 

This info is going to be ignored all week while the media talks about OU's prolific offense.

OU will make some plays, but it definitely won't be with the run game. Their rush sucks and Gabriel isn't that great. Keep a spy(maybe Gbenda or Ford) on him and that shuts down the QB run. Someone here mentioned DG's fragility and they're right. If he plans on running a lot, it's gonna be a bad time. Jackson Arnold better be ready to go. 

As for their defense, they fucking suck against the run. I expect Brooks to get at least 3 TDs with 2 of them being long runs and CJ Baxter will get a few nice long carries as well. Lace up boys. Saturday is gonna be overkill for the gooners. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Us winning an NC on the way out and the BIG 12 not being able to use it's marketing value to its fullest, especially during BB season without looking completely petty would be  priceless...

That's good.

I never thought of it that way but spot on.

Edited by Laga4

7 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know it's all they have to go on based on their worthless schedule so far, but the amount of statistics OU fans have to throw out to convince themselves and others they are good is hilarious. 

No doubt OU is better than last year. They still have a lot of warts. Way more than Texas. 

Yes, anything can happen Saturday. If OU wins they would understandably feel validated. But it's all wish casting from the Sooner side right now. 

They've played nobody. They struggled with Cincy. All their stats are from running up the score on dogshit teams.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

My dumbass just realized I bought tickets on the OU side from SeatGeek. Anyone else ever experienced the game this way? Price was too good to pass up.

Eh. I had a ticket in the OU student section in 2019. Lots of shit talking. Lots of really drunk shit talking. No violence though. 

They’ll clear out at halftime again when they’re getting their ass whipped. 

Edited by Stilicho
Doc is right.

12 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

and

FUCK SPENCER TILLMAN

FUCK JOHN BLAKE

FUCK JAMELLE HOLIEWAY

FUCK CHARLES THOMPSON

FUCK MARCUS DUPREE

FUCK MIKE GADDIS

FUCK R. D. LASHAR

FUCK BRIAN BOSWORTH

FUCK DUSTY DVORCEK

FUCK KYLER MURRAY

FUCK BAKER MAYFIELD

FUCK BILLY SIMS

FUCK STEVE OWENS

FUCK BILLY VESSELS

FUCK JAMES ALLEN

No one said Evil Roy Williams.

10 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

My dumbass just realized I bought tickets on the OU side from SeatGeek. Anyone else ever experienced the game this way? Price was too good to pass up.

The solution is simple. But, the challenge presented to you brings intrigue.

The solution? Find some Godless, red polyester wearing, toothless heathen on our side and say, "Hey Sport, I have a ticket on Satan's side. Let's switch."

The challenge? See how much you can get him to pay you for that exchange. [Some initial advice ... use lots of small words.]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 
I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 

Not sure where you are coming from, but two years ago my son and I came in from Tyler early to go check out Gameday etc. To me, the best way to do it nowadays is park at a Dart station and get off at Fair Park.
SUPER easy and NO traffic. We parked at the Lake June lot off of 175, got on train and were there in a few stops. Leaving the game (we had to leave right after) we walked directly to the Fair Park station and got on in no time. very little stress and convenient. i could not recommend doing thjs enough.

oh, the Dart station is nice. well lit. i was comfortable leaving our truck there.

An OU writer for 247 has given us the "This OU Team Just Looks Different" article that they are apparently required to publish on an annual basis. Spoilered, but I'll post my favorite quote above it from Brent Venables as he channels Mack Brown and poo-poos the magnitude of this game.

*While Oklahoma will learn plenty about itself in Dallas on Saturday (11 a.m. on ABC), Venables was dismissive of the idea that the Sooners have not learned much about themselves to this point of the season.

“For some people, that’s the benchmark,” Venables said of the Texas game. “I get that. But for us, this is a program that has standards that are incredibly high…. We still have a long way to go. But there's been incremental improvement. I'd be a fool not to recognize that. We let our players know how much we appreciate them. But ain't none of us satisfied. We know that there's going to be tougher challenges here down the road. Things don't get easier as you climb the mountain.*

Spoiler

NORMAN — Brent Venables knows they don’t hand out trophies in September. Certainly not at Oklahoma, where competing for conference titles and playoff opportunities has been the standard.

Yet the Sooners’ second-year coach took a moment late Saturday night, following OU’s 50-20 win against Iowa State at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, to acknowledge what his team just accomplished. Oklahoma moved to 5-0, 2-0 in the Big 12, handling business through the first five weeks of the season.

It’s something the Sooners were unable to do a year ago, when they started 3-0 but dropped each of their first two conference games heading into the Red River Rivalry, where they were humbled by rival Texas to the tune of 49-0.

“We have so far to go,” Venables said Saturday night. “If we want to have the kind of season that we want, we have to get to 5-0. This is about improving and needing to be relentless to improve. We have to get better. We’re not a championship team right now, but this is another step to try to get there.”

The next step comes this weekend at the Cotton Bowl, nestled in the State Fair of Texas, where the 12th-ranked Sooners will tussle with the third-ranked Longhorns in the latest installment of the Red River Rivalry. This is when the real season really begins for Oklahoma, the first true litmus test for Venables’ program in Year 2.

While Oklahoma will learn plenty about itself in Dallas on Saturday (11 a.m. on ABC), Venables was dismissive of the idea that the Sooners have not learned much about themselves to this point of the season.

“For some people, that’s the benchmark,” Venables said of the Texas game. “I get that. But for us, this is a program that has standards that are incredibly high…. We still have a long way to go. But there's been incremental improvement. I'd be a fool not to recognize that. We let our players know how much we appreciate them. But ain't none of us satisfied. We know that there's going to be tougher challenges here down the road. Things don't get easier as you climb the mountain.

“It gets harder for all the reasons, mentally, physically, teams that we're playing. But this is a program that has represented excellence for a long time. Last year was a terrible representation of that. All of that falls on my shoulders.”

While Oklahoma has played better and more efficiently on both sides of the ball and improved in many situational areas — including third downs, both offensively and defensively — through the first five games of the season, Venables has been particularly fond of the intentionality with which his team, returning contributors and newcomers, has approached each practice and each Saturday this fall.

Perhaps the biggest thing the Sooners have not only learned about themselves but have proven to onlookers thus far is a resiliency that was absent during last year’s 6-7 campaign. Oklahoma won a game in Week 2 against SMU that Venables openly questioned whether it would have pulled out a year ago. The same could be said for the team’s Big 12 opener at Cincinnati a couple weeks back in a game OU pulled out, 20-6.

That fortitude was on display again on Saturday against Iowa State. The Sooners’ much-improved defense showed some cracks in its pristine veneer, with a couple of coverage busts that resulted in long touchdown passes for the Cyclones. With a little more than nine minutes left in the first half, Oklahoma’s lead was one—21-20—while Iowa State averaged 8.4 yards per play.

Oklahoma adjusted, however, and its defense applied the clamps to Iowa State’s offense, which was held to fewer than 100 total yards and just 2.8 yards per play the remainder of the game while the Sooners scored 29 unanswered to put the game away.

“I feel like this year, we just not going for nothing,” second-year wide receiver Jayden Gibson said. “We’re just not on none of that soft stuff. Nothing. We’re going hard. Someone punches us in the mouth, we’re going to punch them back. I’m not going to say any specific games. I just remember some games we got punched in the mouth, man. I feel like we never recovered last year. This year, I feel like we can recover from anything, man.”

As Gibson explained, this iteration of Oklahoma is more close-knit than last year’s team. That’s to be expected, to an extent, considering the continuity from the top down — a returning coaching staff, players in the same system for a second year in a row, even with several transfers and newcomers added to the mix.

This version of Oklahoma, through five games, has shown itself to be different than last year’s version. On Saturday against Texas, the Sooners will have a chance to prove just how different they are than a year ago, when their disappointing 2022 campaign hit a nadir in the heart of Dallas.

“Proud of the players and the staff that have bought in and the improvements that we’ve made, but nobody here is satisfied or feel like we’ve arrived,” Venables said. “You’re in the middle of doing what we love to do, and there’s a lot of challenges and our players put in a lot of hard work, and so to affirm them is the right thing to do along the way. But also, to point out, they’re not handing out any trophies for being 5-0, but we’re where we wanted to be, we’ve made some improvement in some areas that we knew we had to get better, but we still have, again, a long way to go. But this is a group of guys that are willing to put in the work to do it.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Generally speaking, there is a try-hard energy on their board right now in terms of mustering confidence about the game this weekend. A lot "I know OU is going to play its best game of the Brent Venables era and beat Texas!" and a lot "This Texas team is really talented, but Sarkisian and Ewers might not be ready for this defense." and some of "We have to find ways to mask Key Lawrence/for the OL to figure out the run game/to cover Xavier Worthy."

Even the OU Boards don't reference the statistics as hard as the OU posters here are jacking off to

Edited by Js1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Even the OU Boards don't reference the statistics as hard as the OU posters here are jacking off to

Cut them some slack. Math is pretty new to the territory, and they're still trying to get their bearings straight.

• Like 1

An OU writer for 247 has given us the "This OU Team Just Looks Different" article that they are apparently required to publish on an annual basis. Spoilered, but I'll post my favorite quote above it from Brent Venables as he channels Mack Brown and poo-poos the magnitude of this game.
*While Oklahoma will learn plenty about itself in Dallas on Saturday (11 a.m. on ABC), Venables was dismissive of the idea that the Sooners have not learned much about themselves to this point of the season.
“For some people, that’s the benchmark,” Venables said of the Texas game. “I get that. But for us, this is a program that has standards that are incredibly high…. We still have a long way to go. But there's been incremental improvement. I'd be a fool not to recognize that. We let our players know how much we appreciate them. But ain't none of us satisfied. We know that there's going to be tougher challenges here down the road. Things don't get easier as you climb the mountain.*
Spoiler

NORMAN — Brent Venables knows they don’t hand out trophies in September. Certainly not at Oklahoma, where competing for conference titles and playoff opportunities has been the standard.
Yet the Sooners’ second-year coach took a moment late Saturday night, following OU’s 50-20 win against Iowa State at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, to acknowledge what his team just accomplished. Oklahoma moved to 5-0, 2-0 in the Big 12, handling business through the first five weeks of the season.
It’s something the Sooners were unable to do a year ago, when they started 3-0 but dropped each of their first two conference games heading into the Red River Rivalry, where they were humbled by rival Texas to the tune of 49-0.
“We have so far to go,” Venables said Saturday night. “If we want to have the kind of season that we want, we have to get to 5-0. This is about improving and needing to be relentless to improve. We have to get better. We’re not a championship team right now, but this is another step to try to get there.”
The next step comes this weekend at the Cotton Bowl, nestled in the State Fair of Texas, where the 12th-ranked Sooners will tussle with the third-ranked Longhorns in the latest installment of the Red River Rivalry. This is when the real season really begins for Oklahoma, the first true litmus test for Venables’ program in Year 2.
While Oklahoma will learn plenty about itself in Dallas on Saturday (11 a.m. on ABC), Venables was dismissive of the idea that the Sooners have not learned much about themselves to this point of the season.
“For some people, that’s the benchmark,” Venables said of the Texas game. “I get that. But for us, this is a program that has standards that are incredibly high…. We still have a long way to go. But there's been incremental improvement. I'd be a fool not to recognize that. We let our players know how much we appreciate them. But ain't none of us satisfied. We know that there's going to be tougher challenges here down the road. Things don't get easier as you climb the mountain.
“It gets harder for all the reasons, mentally, physically, teams that we're playing. But this is a program that has represented excellence for a long time. Last year was a terrible representation of that. All of that falls on my shoulders.”
While Oklahoma has played better and more efficiently on both sides of the ball and improved in many situational areas — including third downs, both offensively and defensively — through the first five games of the season, Venables has been particularly fond of the intentionality with which his team, returning contributors and newcomers, has approached each practice and each Saturday this fall.
Perhaps the biggest thing the Sooners have not only learned about themselves but have proven to onlookers thus far is a resiliency that was absent during last year’s 6-7 campaign. Oklahoma won a game in Week 2 against SMU that Venables openly questioned whether it would have pulled out a year ago. The same could be said for the team’s Big 12 opener at Cincinnati a couple weeks back in a game OU pulled out, 20-6.
That fortitude was on display again on Saturday against Iowa State. The Sooners’ much-improved defense showed some cracks in its pristine veneer, with a couple of coverage busts that resulted in long touchdown passes for the Cyclones. With a little more than nine minutes left in the first half, Oklahoma’s lead was one—21-20—while Iowa State averaged 8.4 yards per play.
Oklahoma adjusted, however, and its defense applied the clamps to Iowa State’s offense, which was held to fewer than 100 total yards and just 2.8 yards per play the remainder of the game while the Sooners scored 29 unanswered to put the game away.
“I feel like this year, we just not going for nothing,” second-year wide receiver Jayden Gibson said. “We’re just not on none of that soft stuff. Nothing. We’re going hard. Someone punches us in the mouth, we’re going to punch them back. I’m not going to say any specific games. I just remember some games we got punched in the mouth, man. I feel like we never recovered last year. This year, I feel like we can recover from anything, man.”
As Gibson explained, this iteration of Oklahoma is more close-knit than last year’s team. That’s to be expected, to an extent, considering the continuity from the top down — a returning coaching staff, players in the same system for a second year in a row, even with several transfers and newcomers added to the mix.
This version of Oklahoma, through five games, has shown itself to be different than last year’s version. On Saturday against Texas, the Sooners will have a chance to prove just how different they are than a year ago, when their disappointing 2022 campaign hit a nadir in the heart of Dallas.
“Proud of the players and the staff that have bought in and the improvements that we’ve made, but nobody here is satisfied or feel like we’ve arrived,” Venables said. “You’re in the middle of doing what we love to do, and there’s a lot of challenges and our players put in a lot of hard work, and so to affirm them is the right thing to do along the way. But also, to point out, they’re not handing out any trophies for being 5-0, but we’re where we wanted to be, we’ve made some improvement in some areas that we knew we had to get better, but we still have, again, a long way to go. But this is a group of guys that are willing to put in the work to do it.”

Lol, Venables sounds like early Charlie Strong. Brent thinks past success and a standard of excellence (thanks to UT wandering the wilderness and the Big12 leeches only being good enough to pull off an upset here and there) will be enough. Cake is baked Brent, just gotta slice and eat now lol.

13 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

I did in 2011 with my family since they were cheap and it was terrible as far as outcome. There was another Longhorn next to us and he was silent but not me I was cheering for the horns. Some guy said he was going to kick my ass and his girlfriend plus other people around us told him to shut the fuck up since I was cheering for my team and saying nothing about the sooners. After the beating on the field started they were all super friendly, then again I had three kids with me and one was my daughter's friend and she was a sooner. That is when I learned that they all think they get the raw end of the stick when it comes to the refs as far as the rivalry goes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Fuck You 4

45 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Was it really fucking necessary to post that photo?

Yes to remind us how much we want to pay it back after some of the shit we have lived through. Let the hate flow through you it will make you powerful.

let-the-hate-flow-look.gif

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Looks like it'll be windy, which I think will give us the advantage, as opposed to calm and non-windy, which I think would give us the advantage.

I hope not, Quinn sucked shit through a straw the last time he played in the wind. 

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yes to remind us how much we want to pay it back after some of the shit we have lived through.

I'm going to let this one go.  But you will rue the day* if you post the Crabtree catch before the Tech game.

*"Rue the day? Who talks like that?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

I hope not, Quinn sucked shit through a straw the last time he played in the wind. 
True, but I think there was more going on that day than wind. Wasn't that the game he came out with a glove on his throwing hand during warmups?

11 minutes ago, ousux said:
26 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

True, but I think there was more going on that day than wind. Wasn't that the game he came out with a glove on his throwing hand during warmups?

Pretty sure.  Also OU prefers downfield throws and we have the stronger run game - advantage aggy.

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

There is no fucking way in hell I would ever sit on that other side of the stadium.  I imagine the ground is littered with cigarette butts, losing lottery tickets, and empty bottles of Thunderbird.

And the only things you can buy at the concession stands are meth and dreamcatchers.

I recall one year, 2008 I believe, it was also strewn with bags of dicks.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm going to let this one go.  But you will rue the day* if you post the Crabtree catch before the Tech game.

*"Rue the day? Who talks like that?"

Gee others are not letting it slide I was just trying to express how shitty that day was and now it will be shitty again with the negs. I could take the picture down with an edit but I guess I will just have to take my lumps learn my lesson and not augment my story the next time.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Gee others are not letting it slide I was just trying to express how shitty that day was and now it will be shitty again with the negs. I could take the picture down with an edit but I guess I will just have to take my lumps and not augment my story the next time.

Sorry kid.

• Haha 2

I never drink the kool aid before the RRS. I’ve been burned thinking we’re hands down better many times. I am definitely confident and I do think we’re the better team, now we just need to come out and play like it and back up our ranking. We’re on the verge of a making the playoff type of season and this is the game that propels you into that or sets you back to hoping for a NY6 game instead of the big one.

• Hook 'Em 1