Outcoached

Pancho

50 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Most years, a loss to OU meant we were trailing them in BigXii South and they had to lose 2 for us to sneak in.

2001, 2002, 2007, 2008....all of those seasons should have been big 12 titles for Texas. Add that to the 3 we won and all the sudden the narrative is different. It goes back to what Texas is willing to do to win big and often in football, and the answer is not as much as oklahoma, bama, ohio state etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’ll still say this:

Texas is 11-18 in the RRS since 1995, 8-16 since 2000.

What are peoples thoughts as to why that record is what it is?

To be honest OU has largely had better systems in place than we did, so when talent was even they had the advantage there. With Stoops at the helm they were defensive minded. However, on offense they had The Pirate come in and install his shit and then Mangino took it from there. When that got stale they switched to the HUNH, and after that Riley came in and started running his stuff. Mack was still dicking around with a ball control offense and didn't even get around to consistent 11 personnel until and a basic ass ZR until VY. We thought it was amazing running 4 wides with Colt. Then Mack, after getting his QB hurt, decided to go back to the 1950's again.

It's still the same. OU is running Briles O which makes reads easier, spreads the field, and let's your athletes eat. Ewers would be an absolute problem in that offense, but we run a pro-style which is way harder to operate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Venables is a monster coach on defense and OU found a rising star as Offensive coach.   Texas and OU will play again and it will be up inthe air who wins.  What was more obvious is OU was more physical and more ready.  So yes coaching was the difference because Ewers played great ( except the interceptions) and the team clicked most of the day.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

2001, 2002, 2007, 2008....all of those seasons should have been big 12 titles for Texas. Add that to the 3 we won and all the sudden the narrative is different. It goes back to what Texas is willing to do to win big and often in football, and the answer is not as much as oklahoma, bama, ohio state etc. 

'01, '02, and '08 were all one score losses that kept us from winning the B12. That's as much luck as it is anything and Mack didn't have a whole lot of that as evidenced by being 1 play each season from going back to back in 08/09 and 3 in 5 seasons. 

What would Saban's narrative looked like if Colt doesn't get hurt in '09, Ok State doesn't get snubbed in '11, or tOSU gets to play ND instead of Bama in '12? He would have won 0 championships in his first 6 years if the stars didn't align so perfect. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

'01, '02, and '08 were all one score losses that kept us from winning the B12. That's as much luck as it is anything and Mack didn't have a whole lot of that as evidenced by being 1 play each season from going back to back in 08/09 and 3 in 5 seasons. 

What would Saban's narrative looked like if Colt doesn't get hurt in '09, Ok State doesn't get snubbed in '11, or tOSU gets to play ND instead of Bama in '12? He would have won 0 championships in his first 6 years if the stars didn't align so perfect. 

One score losses to colorado, and Texas tech though man. That's the overall theme at Texas, and I guess at this point it is what it is. Here is the problem with the what if scenario with saban, they gave him chances to win titles that he shouldn't have gotten...then he won the fucking title to prove that he deserved it anyway. It's hard to argue that he didn't deserve to be there when he won the game. Mack should have won those fucking games, especially if we are going to continue to shit on sark for not winning games we think he should. If we were all sensible we would realize that Texas isn't really a football school, it's an academic school that has a bad ass swim team, great track teams, good to great baseball teams, and in football we win a lot of games but very little else of significance. 

6 hours ago, AllenTx75 said:

Venables is a monster coach on defense and OU found a rising star as Offensive coach.   Texas and OU will play again and it will be up inthe air who wins.  What was more obvious is OU was more physical and more ready.  So yes coaching was the difference because Ewers played great ( except the interceptions) and the team clicked most of the day.

Meh- We were much more banged up. Corner out. Both RBs banged up. Center out. LT banged up. Star TE banged up. Banks seemed gimpy, and had trouble holding the edge which is def not something he ever has a problem with. The center was struggling to prevent penetration and wasn't passing guys off the way Majors has been. Sanders wasn't up to the task strength wise either, and that was evident by the missed block at the start of the game. A lot of key guys either couldn't go or weren't 100%. We are a different team with all those guys healthy.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Meh- We were much more banged up. Corner out. Both RBs banged up. Center out. LT banged up. Star TE banged up. Banks seemed gimpy, and had trouble holding the edge which is def not something he ever has a problem with. The center was struggling to prevent penetration and wasn't passing guys off the way Majors has been. Sanders wasn't up to the task strength wise either, and that was evident by the missed block at the start of the game. A lot of key guys either couldn't go or weren't 100%. We are a different team with all those guys healthy.

come on man. We got beat. We got out muscled. they wanted it more. Go back and watch our defensive line. Very halfhearted play. Our o-line looked weak and gave very little protection or opening lanes. 

I was joking that we looked like we threw the game. 

Disgusting

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

come on man. We got beat. We got out muscled. they wanted it more. Go back and watch our defensive line. Very halfhearted play. Our o-line looked weak and gave very little protection or opening lanes. 

Disgusting

The guys getting manhandled were the guys who were nicked up or backups. On the 3rd down play on the goal Banks got tossed aside like he was nothing. That doesn't happen to Banks. Campbell made a lot of mistakes in the game too, including the way he pulled on second down on the goal. He wouldn't be in there if the starter isn't hurt. Center was struggling. Once again he wouldn't be in there either. Sanders got manhandled a couple times trying to block, and couldn't even throw a block on the screen. After that coach went a different route when he saw he couldn't go. Everyone else was fine. All it takes is a couple guys out on a line and they aren't going to be the same. We ran the ball decent. Pass pro has a lot to do with Majors and Hutson being out.

We got beat, but it was more than "they just wanted it more". Key players were on the sideline. That matters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Sark said he would change nothing in terms of clock management on our last offensive drive.  

Ok cool.

There's a reason some coaches are better in close games than others.  

I heard that too but his answer sounded like he wouldn’t have changed the plays he called. Either he misunderstood the question or refused to answer it imo.

The guys getting manhandled were the guys who were nicked up or backups. On the 3rd down play on the goal Banks got tossed aside like he was nothing. That doesn't happen to Banks. Campbell made a lot of mistakes in the game too, including the way he pulled on second down on the goal. He wouldn't be in there if the starter isn't hurt. Center was struggling. Once again he wouldn't be in there either. Sanders got manhandled a couple times trying to block, and couldn't even throw a block on the screen. After that coach went a different route when he saw he couldn't go. Everyone else was fine. All it takes is a couple guys out on a line and they aren't going to be the same. We ran the ball decent. Pass pro has a lot to do with Majors and Hutson being out.
 We got beat, but it was more than "they just wanted it more". Key players were on the sideline. That matters.

Who’s this poster? I like this guy.

OU had a few more struggles when they started getting banged up.

Sanders had his fewest snaps all year and was limited on run snaps. I can’t imagine he practiced all that much.

Some here wanted more aggressive defense. Watts is probably the best blitzer out of the corners. The most physical too. Muhammad as an example completely whiffed versus KU on a blitz. We likely missed his experience on that last drive too.

Saw Banks, Sanders, Baxter all limping around on the field. Robertson has hardly played.

All that stuff adds up in addition to all the many things mentioned.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

Disgusting

We just needed to put choke holds on their defensive linemen and see if the refs fail to call holding. 

Narrator: "They wouldn't""

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

... OU is running Briles O which makes reads easier, spreads the field, and let's your athletes eat. Ewers would be an absolute problem in that offense, but we run a pro-style which is way harder to operate.

Summa the pro teams aren't running pro-styles all that much these days...

11 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I wish one of you guys can make the tiny movies where the defense played so nonchalantly. No effort after initial contact. I saw it over and over 

Nice to see a few people being honest here.  The fire and will just wasn't there for most of the game as far as UT players.  OU was pissed and aggressive.  Also things like OU getting in Ewers face after throwing him around and none of the Oline doing shit.  Embarrassing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

59 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Also things like OU getting in Ewers face after throwing him around and none of the Oline doing shit.  Embarrassing. 

Almost walked out of the stadium after witnessing that. If they were going to be so fucking uninspired and weak hearted, then why the fuck should I waste my time and voice chords cheering on them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

He was in the "dual threat" QB rankings?  LMAO.

Although, I guess his arm and his legs were both about the same level of threat.  So, I guess it fits.

I like to think he was saying, “im fast af boi” while running all over Kyle field. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Sark said he would change nothing in terms of clock management on our last offensive drive.  

Ok cool.

There's a reason some coaches are better in close games than others.  

Clock management was fine.  Give them the ball with 1:17 left and no timeouts is a win.

And if they had gotten the first down, they would have wanted the time to try to drive it closer.  As it was, it was a long, not very certain FG.  You didn't want to force yourself to try a 45 yarder if you could have gotten closer.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

Clock management was fine.  Give them the ball with 1:17 left and no timeouts is a win.

And if they had gotten the first down, they would have wanted the time to try to drive it closer.  As it was, it was a long, not very certain FG.  You didn't want to force yourself to try a 45 yarder if you could have gotten closer.

“PK has entered the chat”

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

Armchair after the fact perfect knowledge QBs.  Sure if you knew you would be stopped at the 28 you run more clock, but you don't plan on that.

Clock management was decent. I expect my DC to have the ability to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of opposing QBs and adjust as necessary to neutralize them.

Edited by USNALonghorn

Talked to my brother and he said he saw a championship level effort from the players. He said every championship team at some point plays like shit and knows it is playing like shit but they don't quit and still find a way to win.

The only thing that stoped them was PK coming in and saying sorry guys I am about to take a big dump on your efforts and put you in a defense you are not accustomed to playing. This way all of you can be confused about your assignments. Therefore, I can blame you guys for bad execution.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He was in the "dual threat" QB rankings?  LMAO.

Although, I guess his arm and his legs were both about the same level of threat.  So, I guess it fits.

247 probably laughed after Mack asked them to type that up right after asking "now who is this again?".

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Nice to see a few people being honest here.  The fire and will just wasn't there for most of the game as far as UT players.  OU was pissed and aggressive.  Also things like OU getting in Ewers face after throwing him around and none of the Oline doing shit.  Embarrassing. 

Meh- OU's over aggression has always worked against them in the long run, which is why you guys won the conference a bazillion times and still haven't won a title since 2000. The things that happened in the Cotton happened the exact same way to the exact same people as they have all season. Anyone surprised hasn't been paying attention. AD Mitchell has been missing blocks and allowing someone to get blown up, or generally not being physical. JT Sanders is good for a drop a game. Worthy never fights hard for jump balls. We've been susceptible in the interior offensive line. We haven't really had a pass rush. Gbenda flies around but has been shitty in coverage his entire career. We have started slow all year. The ball bounced perfectly for OU in this game. For example, ball gets snapped over Gabriel's head and bounces perfectly for him to scoop it up and throw it out of bounds. A different bounce and he has to fall on it or we get it. It is what it is. INT dropped. Relatively healthy coming in. Tip of the cap.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Who’s this poster? I like this guy.

OU had a few more struggles when they started getting banged up.

Sanders had his fewest snaps all year and was limited on run snaps. I can’t imagine he practiced all that much.

Some here wanted more aggressive defense. Watts is probably the best blitzer out of the corners. The most physical too. Muhammad as an example completely whiffed versus KU on a blitz. We likely missed his experience on that last drive too.

Saw Banks, Sanders, Baxter all limping around on the field. Robertson has hardly played.

All that stuff adds up in addition to all the many things mentioned.

All the people either out or gimpy mattered. It matters in the plays you can run and the effectiveness in execution or they wouldn't be starters. All of that and we were still a few calls/mistakes away from walking out of there. Helm played well but he is no Sanders. We put Watts on an island a lot which allows us to do some different things on the other side. Some of our best runs have come behind the center/rg combo.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Meh- OU's over aggression has always worked against them in the long run, which is why you guys won the conference a bazillion times and still haven't won a title since 2000. The things that happened in the Cotton happened the exact same way to the exact same people as they have all season. Anyone surprised hasn't been paying attention. AD Mitchell has been missing blocks and allowing someone to get blown up, or generally not being physical. JT Sanders is good for a drop a game. Worthy never fights hard for jump balls. We've been susceptible in the interior offensive line. We haven't really had a pass rush. Gbenda flies around but has been shitty in coverage his entire career. We have started slow all year. The ball bounced perfectly for OU in this game. For example, ball gets snapped over Gabriel's head and bounces perfectly for him to scoop it up and throw it out of bounds. A different bounce and he has to fall on it or we get it. It is what it is. INT dropped. Relatively healthy coming in. Tip of the cap.

Blocked punt.  Missed fg.  Top WR lost in game.  Dropped TD end of 1h.  Top 2 OL lost in game.  Acting like OU played perfect is hilarious.  You’ll be favored in the second game too.  But you’ve won 2x in 9 tries and won 2x in a row zero times since 2009.  The truth is probably somewhere between what you see happening and what CTJ has called.  But your history isn’t on your side.  You are what your record says you are.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Meh- OU's over aggression has always worked against them in the long run, which is why you guys won the conference a bazillion times and still haven't won a title since 2000. 

I’d rather win this game, win the conference, and lose In the playoffs than lose this game, never win the conference, and never make the playoffs. 

You’re making nothing but excuses and you sound like Mack Brown. Steve Sarkisian is right there with you on mindset. Just happy to be there and hoping the kids had fun. That’s all that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Blocked punt.  Missed fg.  Top WR lost in game.  Dropped TD end of 1h.  Top 2 OL lost in game.  Acting like OU played perfect is hilarious.  You’ll be favored in the second game too.  But you’ve won 2x in 9 tries and won 2x in a row zero times since 2009.  The truth is probably somewhere between what you see happening and what CTJ has called.  But your history isn’t on your side.  You are what your record says you are.  

Yeah OU was by no means perfect. But you were touting OU as shitting fire and Texas shitting rainbows. Not true. Now OU does sell there soul more so Texas in this game no doubt. There were a shit ton of things that could have occurred to change the outcome. That includes some that could have put it more in your favor. And the timekeeper screwing up the game clock after Bowman’s injury was potentially significant. In your favor.

Unfortunately, on that first OU pick, Worthy was wide ass open and potentially scoring. QE chose poorly. There’s no bigger what ifs than that one since that set the tone for the entire game.

And when you’re talking high and mighty about wanting it more, remember you had 3 failed offensive possessions in a row. Then your punter flopped on very minimal contact. So your offense and team got a jumpstart from a 100% horseshit call (yes, incredibly dumb of us to be in that position).

On 10/8/2023 at 4:28 PM, LonghornSean said:

Not really a great thread to put this in, but I believe this is the fifth consecutive season that we’ve lost the game going into the bye week.

Because just what we all need is that extra week of bitching and wondering “what if”.

That’s an interesting fact though I don’t know what it means.  Strong was 1-2, Herman 1-3, Sark 0-3

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah OU was by no means perfect. But you were touting OU as shitting fire and Texas shitting rainbows. Not true. Now OU does sell there soul more so Texas in this game no doubt. There were a shit ton of things that could have occurred to change the outcome. That includes some that could have put it more in your favor. And the timekeeper screwing up the game clock after Bowman’s injury was potentially significant. In your favor.

Unfortunately, on that first OU pick, Worthy was wide ass open and potentially scoring. QE chose poorly. There’s no bigger what ifs than that one since that set the tone for the entire game.

And when you’re talking high and mighty about wanting it more, remember you had 3 failed offensive possessions in a row. Then your punter flopped on very minimal contact. So your offense and team got a jumpstart from a 100% horseshit call (yes, incredibly dumb of us to be in that position).

Failed possessions don’t have dick to do with wanting it more.  Effort and emotion.  If you don’t get it, and obviously you don’t, there’s nothing to discuss.  I hope Sark wants to weather the storm again and is telling his guys to have fun!  Lulz.  Pussy talk.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

We leave points on the field every game.  500+ yards and only 23 offensive points vs OU is really frustrating. 

Sark's offensive philosophy needs to include a scoring philosophy. With Sark's schemes and the  talent we currently have an offense, hanging 50 a game should always be the goal. Whether it's a goal line smash mouth running package or the most finesse-y misdirection pussy play at the 1 yard line, I don't give a fuck. Just score touchdowns.  All gas no brakes, right? 

• Hook 'Em 4

I don’t have specific plays but in the stadium the first quarter especially felt very Mack Brown era.  OU just seemed more intense and fired up, that “playoff game mentality” they always had in the 2000s. “Like their lives were on the line”, “one game season,” whatever cliché you prefer.  Is that coaching? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Charlie Strong.  He was the worst coach in Texas history and he left the cupboard mostly bare.  Absolutely zero depth.  We weren't any better in talent than half the Big 12.
Before the last 6 years, UT and OU were dead even in the post DKR era.

This has nothing to do with this thread but what really pisses me off is Texas hasn’t been good for a very long time. Not even decent. A couple of seasons maybe. When we’re bad we’re bad. OU won how many games last year 6? And they turned it around better than we ever have in this decade. I know their schedule is soft and they aren’t actually that good ( better than we gave them credit ) but how many times has the big xii been down and we couldn’t capitalize.

Why do we have to be THAT bad. Maybe our culture is soft. They had 49-0 on their med balls and had to do them 49x every day. They were reminded every practice of it. Have we ever done that? When OU has blown us out?

It sucks. I’m still salty, so many opportunities. 3 turnovers a million penalties and we still almost won.

But I can see us making and winning the big xii. Until we lose a second game I’m gonna hold back my pitchfork. If we lose a second game not in the playoffs then I will riot. If we lose to OU twice this year I will burn the whole place down including myself.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:50 AM, Skipper said:

Yep.  Its college football.  Roster talent is way more important than coaching.  Kirby Smart is not some coaching genius.  He stacked a roster.  When you play teams with equal or close to equal talent you have to execute. They just executed better overall.   Outside of 1 ball Ewers played great, Brooks played great, Worthy and all the WR's played great. Sanders drop resulting in a pick hurt.  But this game also showed our roster isn't quite readyfrom a depth perspective. Losing our center hurt.  Our interior OL was already the weak spot on our roster and that showed.   Not having Watts on D hurt more than I expected.

More than anything I give credit to DG and both OU lines.  They beat us up front.  Period.  Did not see that coming.  Also did not see Jaylon Ford having one of his worst games I can recall coming.   I want a rematch.  

This is so absurdly stupid I don’t even know where to begin. He’s both an incredible coach and has a stacked roster, much like saban for a long time. Sabans roster has taken a hit because NIL and Alabama didn’t really mix all that well. Kirby smarts teams especially the national championship caliber ones all came down to coaching to get to the national championship. 

On 10/8/2023 at 6:03 PM, Skipper said:

I think we were the better team.  But I do think people saying OU played their A game aren't looking at it from their point of view.  Gave up the fake punt.  Blocked punt for a TD off a turnover.  One of the worst FG attempts I've seen.  4 straight possessions in the 2nd half without points and shitty execution (including, unless I'm misremembering, going 3 and out after getting the fumble).  I would definitely favor us in a rematch but I don't think we can count on all those things going our way either. 

They didn’t give up a fake punt, it was a great play call and you can’t take away from Texas on it. Blocked punt was also not OU fucking up, but Texas just being very good and having the super short backfield for the punt. Missing FGs is not an excuse. 4 straight possessions of playing how you would normally play against a team that is better than you is also not a bunch of fuck ups he was hurried and there was a substantial amount of pressure and pacing in the game. had OU been flagged for the PI, or the facemask on the 1 or any of the other completely blown fucking taunting or targeting calls we could say they had big fuckups, but they were largely fuck up free. Any one of those penalties change the entire game. 

texas legit fucked up. Both interceptions were huge fuckups, the first more than the 2nd. The dropped int in the end zone was an enormous Blake Gideon level fuck up. The Quinn fumble was possibly one of the biggest preventable fuckups late game. Not kicking FG and not converting from 1 is super mega fuck up. Allowing DG to break an arm tackle and run it for 15 in the final moments of the game incredible fuck up. Pass interference gifting OU 1st and goal basically is colossal fuck up. Blown ass coverage just leaving a guy wide open with less than 20 sec left in the game when everything else was fine? Incredibly fucking colossal fuckup. OU just played like what they are, Texas played well and far below their capability in ways that are so brutally frustrating they can only be attributed to things like weak mental fortitude and bad coaching or a combination of both where good coaching could have bolstered some of the mental fortitude. 

This is one of the biggest problems with player led teams. When you don’t have a Colt, VY, Sam Ehlinger who can just become bigger than the game itself and motivate the team beyond what is normal. 

OU had Dillon Gabriel go off when it counted most and that’s that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Failed possessions don’t have dick to do with wanting it more.  Effort and emotion.  If you don’t get it, and obviously you don’t, there’s nothing to discuss.  I hope Sark wants to weather the storm again and is telling his guys to have fun!  Lulz.  Pussy talk.  

I do get it asshole. I was there. And I just watched it again. It’s an emotional game. You get a pick early you go ape shape. You give up a TD. One team rises. The other fades. We didn’t lose on lack of emotion. We lost on lack of execution. Your first TD was on a play in which our safety and LB chased the motion. Great play call that dictated our reactions. Execution not emotion. We got a damn unsportsmanlike penalty after our TD. Probably only cause we wanted to have fun.

Point is. Your failed possessions meant your emotions/fire weren’t carrying shit. Then a shitty call gave you an emotional lift.

Just out of curiosity what sports did you play? That’s a serious question. I’m interested as to where you’re coming from.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

They didn’t give up a fake punt, it was a great play call and you can’t take away from Texas on it. Blocked punt was also not OU fucking up, but Texas just being very good and having the super short backfield for the punt. Missing FGs is not an excuse. 4 straight possessions of playing how you would normally play against a team that is better than you is also not a bunch of fuck ups he was hurried and there was a substantial amount of pressure and pacing in the game. had OU been flagged for the PI, or the facemask on the 1 or any of the other completely blown fucking taunting or targeting calls we could say they had big fuckups, but they were largely fuck up free. Any one of those penalties change the entire game. 

texas legit fucked up. Both interceptions were huge fuckups, the first more than the 2nd. The dropped int in the end zone was an enormous Blake Gideon level fuck up. The Quinn fumble was possibly one of the biggest preventable fuckups late game. Not kicking FG and not converting from 1 is super mega fuck up. Allowing DG to break an arm tackle and run it for 15 in the final moments of the game incredible fuck up. Pass interference gifting OU 1st and goal basically is colossal fuck up. Blown ass coverage just leaving a guy wide open with less than 20 sec left in the game when everything else was fine? Incredibly fucking colossal fuckup. OU just played like what they are, Texas played well and far below their capability in ways that are so brutally frustrating they can only be attributed to things like weak mental fortitude and bad coaching or a combination of both where good coaching could have bolstered some of the mental fortitude. 

This is one of the biggest problems with player led teams. When you don’t have a Colt, VY, Sam Ehlinger who can just become bigger than the game itself and motivate the team beyond what is normal. 

OU had Dillon Gabriel go off when it counted most and that’s that. 

So every good Texas play was because Texas made a played to its ability (and not an OU fuckup).  Every Texas bad play was a Texas fuckup and not a play made by OU.  Every OU good play was a Texas fuckup.  And every OU bad play was Texas playing to its ability.  Got it.   

Go back and watch those 4 straight scoreless OU possessions and tell me that was ALL the Texas defense and not partially shit OU execution.

My only point is, the narrative that we played our C game and OU played an A+ game is just wrong and reeks of only viewing this with burnt orange glasses.   I think we are a better team. I think Vegas would favor us in a rematch.  But that line would be less than 7.  Probably something like 2.5-4.5. Not 10+ like people are making it out to be.  

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So every good Texas play was because Texas made a played to its ability (and not an OU fuckup).  Every Texas bad play was a Texas fuckup and not a play made by OU.  Every OU good play was a Texas fuckup.  And every OU bad play was Texas playing to its ability.  Got it.   

Go back and watch those 4 straight scoreless OU possessions and tell me that was ALL the Texas defense and not partially shit OU execution.

My only point is, the narrative that we played our C game and OU played an A+ game is just wrong and reeks of only viewing this with burnt orange glasses.   I think we are a better team. I think Vegas would favor us in a rematch.  But that line would be less than 7.  Probably something like 2.5-4.5. Not 10+ like people are making it out to be.  

To be fair, the blocked punt was OU’s fault. The punter needed to be two steps further back and kick the ball on a single step. Instead, he went about it like we were on the 30 and got his shit rocked. 

45 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I don’t have specific plays but in the stadium the first quarter especially felt very Mack Brown era.  OU just seemed more intense and fired up, that “playoff game mentality” they always had in the 2000s. “Like their lives were on the line”, “one game season,” whatever cliché you prefer.  Is that coaching? 

That place was rocking after the blocked punt with 9 minutes to go in the quarter. Things settled in for the most part after that.

Maybe it felt that way for the first 6 minutes of gametime after the 2 INT's, but it evened out.

1 minute ago, Constant said:

To be fair, the blocked punt was OU’s fault. The punter needed to be two steps further back and kick the ball on a single step. Instead, he went about it like we were on the 30 and got his shit rocked. 

Right.  OU certainly shouldn't count on winning the turnover battle 3-0 in a rematch.  Just like Texas can't count on 7 points off a blocked punt in a rematch.   I absolutely do think Texas is a better team top to bottom this year so hoping we get another shot in a rematch but it certainly isn't black and white.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We leave points on the field every game.  500+ yards and only 23 offensive points vs OU is really frustrating. 

Sark's offensive philosophy needs to include a scoring philosophy. With Sark's schemes and the  talent we currently have an offense, hanging 50 a game should always be the goal. Whether it's a goal line smash mouth running package or the most finesse-y misdirection pussy play at the 1 yard line, I don't give a fuck. Just score touchdowns.  All gas no brakes, right? 

This is what I keep coming back to.  The offense scored 23 and also gave up the ball in FG range once and just outside of FG range a 2nd time.  They were basically +16 for the game.  And it could have been worse, but luckily Bert made both his 45+ attempts.

Run up and down the field all you want, but if you keep turning the ball over or giving it up on downs, it don't make a shit.

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What if it was Ou’s best game when considering opponent? Before last Saturday, the two teams they struggled against, had somewhat of a pulse. We saw those same deficiencies in our game against them plus some out of character heroics from Gabriel as well. Relative to football grades, OU did not have an A+ Game against us. But I think looking at OU individually, they played about as good as they can given the talent they were going against. They will technically play better in upcoming games, but it will be against lesser competition. 

Why is our red zone offense so bad this year?  It was OK last year, and great in 21.  

One theory I have is that Sark really seems to love setting up the run with the pass this year. I've noticed this opening up games and at times during the games.  In the red zone, when things get compressed, this is hard to do, so our run and pass game get bogged down. 

I really have no idea though.  It's mind bottling.    

He's been asked about this multiple times in PCs and he blows off the question.  I'm not sure he really has the answer.  

I made the mistake of engaging immamac on this nonsense. Don’t do the same.
  • Hook 'Em 1