Architectural feature that needs to make a comeback: the conversation pit

Brisketexan

On 10/11/2023 at 6:39 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I like the conversation pit, but the courtyard with large covered walkways I'm obsessed with. I want nothing more than a spanish style home with a courtyard and pool in the middle. 

Spanish Colonial House Plans With Courtyard | House Plans And Designs | Courtyard  house plans, Spanish style house, Hacienda style homes

Neighborhood kids are gonna use their drones to spy on your skinny-dipping parties.

Strangely, conversation pits have been on my mind since I saw this on twitter the other day

In 1963, Time magazine published an article titled, "Fall of the Pit," in which it declared that the heyday was already over and listed the faults and awkward perils of the conversation pit: “At cocktail parties, late-staying guests tended to fall in. Those in the pit found themselves bombarded with bits of hors d'oeuvres from up above, looked out on a field of trouser cuffs, ankles, and shoes. Ladies shied away from the edges, fearing up-skirt exposure. Bars or fencing of sorts had to be constructed to keep dogs and children from daily concussions.” Time magazine also suggested that the owners of conversation pits should simply fill them with concrete and lay floorboards on top so that "no one will ever know what once lay beneath."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 2:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

Was discussing 70s home architecture with @Ghost of LL today, and I shared that as a child of the 70s, I was always super-jealous when I visited someone's house and they had a kick-ass, super-awesome, neato, conversation pit.

12028821_1037639206280801_90336892159588

SocialMillerHouseConversationPit_AnnieCo

Screenshot-2020-03-19-at-10.34.44.png

Is there a cooler feature your house can have?  No, there is not.  Do these need to make a massive comeback?  Yes, they do.

I was a fan back then.  I am a fan today.  If I ever have to remodel my living area, you're goddamn right I'm adding a conversation pit.

Let me know when it's finished. I have the perfect dish to match your decor. 

crown-roast-59e79bfc9abed50011c19724.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Let me know when it's finished. I have the perfect dish to match your decor. 

crown-roast-59e79bfc9abed50011c19724.jpg

Is there any question that the middle of the last century would have been the Golden Age of @Steel Shank?

Conversation pits.  Crown Roasts of Frankfurters.  Gals in go-go boots, all of y'all drinking Harvey Wallbangers.  God, what a time to be alive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 2:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

Was discussing 70s home architecture with @Ghost of LL today, and I shared that as a child of the 70s, I was always super-jealous when I visited someone's house and they had a kick-ass, super-awesome, neato, conversation pit.

12028821_1037639206280801_90336892159588

SocialMillerHouseConversationPit_AnnieCo

Screenshot-2020-03-19-at-10.34.44.png

Is there a cooler feature your house can have?  No, there is not.  Do these need to make a massive comeback?  Yes, they do.

I was a fan back then.  I am a fan today.  If I ever have to remodel my living area, you're goddamn right I'm adding a conversation pit.

Looks like the perfect place to get VD from this guy....

alfred-1200x500.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Grew up in a house with an enclosed atrium. Dad still has it. It was pretty cool having a garden in the middle of the house 365 days of the year.

My grandparents (home builders) designed their empty nest home around a 25’ X 40’ atrium with a close able cover in case of freezes/extreme heat. Floor to ceiling interior glass with a bougainvillea tree in the interior garden. Huge master suite and a smaller bedroom for guests. I loved that house. I’ve considered buying it as my FIL lives 2 doors down* but my father told me it would be a massive maintenance money pit. Am in process of buying my now late Dad’s custom built home from my stepmom. It’s pretty neat, gas fireplace in the wall betweeen the master bedroom and bathroom and a two story detached garage with an upstairs apartment/office suite which is going to be my man cave. Plus an air conditioned tackle room/shop adjacent to the garage. My forever home.

My stepbrother lives in a mid century with an enclosed sunken den with large wet bar adjacent to his family room which is adjacent to a formal living room. The cathedral windows are in the formal dining room. They’ve bought vintage furniture and lucite dining room chairs plus he is a talented artist so the decor is perfect. The home was originally commissioned by the local lumberyard owner so lots of cool trim and fixtures.

An A frame next to a quiet lake is my idea of heaven though.

Since I’ll never be able to easily afford a mid-century on a Florida Keys canal, which is my other dream home. My sister’s husband will inherit one so I’ll just be a frequent visitor.

*my wife has ruled that we will never live within easy walking distance to her father.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I like the conversation pit, but the courtyard with large covered walkways I'm obsessed with. I want nothing more than a spanish style home with a courtyard and pool in the middle. 

52e770ec3fb1ad3463136ed0f8fe3f34.jpg

I always loved the Cliff May modern ranch houses but he also did some larger luxury homes and Spanish style ranches.
a10bda327521aa138f6926026587643e.jpg
277e9c71dd860da333cfedf450288e49.jpg
1256319ff3a618147dca64da1cf8398a.jpg
0b5f212165f8c9f66127ec4189efdc29.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

I built 2 for customers. Screw tiny houses, you want to build a small truly affordable home you can actually live in the A frame is the way to go.

My Uncle had a badass A frame house in Missouri. Top loft had a pool table and kegerator. I thought he was the coolest guy on the planet when I was a kid.
  • Like 1

As someone whose heart skips a beat when he sees beautiful mid mod architecture, I love conversation pits or just the concept of space dedicated to talking/doing coke/sexing/whatever.

Jimmy Goldstein owns the "Big Lebowski" house and it's a Lautner.  He considers the house itself the love of his life and it's my understanding that he's donating it to a museum after he dies.

Good video for the nerds:

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...