Architectural feature that needs to make a comeback: the conversation pit

Brisketexan

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was discussing 70s home architecture with @Ghost of LL today, and I shared that as a child of the 70s, I was always super-jealous when I visited someone's house and they had a kick-ass, super-awesome, neato, conversation pit.

12028821_1037639206280801_90336892159588

SocialMillerHouseConversationPit_AnnieCo

Screenshot-2020-03-19-at-10.34.44.png

Is there a cooler feature your house can have?  No, there is not.  Do these need to make a massive comeback?  Yes, they do.

I was a fan back then.  I am a fan today.  If I ever have to remodel my living area, you're goddamn right I'm adding a conversation pit.

Kegerator.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Make it with removable furniture, put in a floor drain, and you can have fucking jello wrestling in your house.

GOLL's observation was "with a conversation pit, you've got a vibe that says 'an orgy might break out here at any time.'"  I say "feature, not a bug."  Because 70s vibe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

In the opposite direction of a conversation pit. I'd like to see more enclosed Mexican style courtyards in the US with a big ass gate instead of a front yard. That way I never have to see my neighbors again but can still sit outside.

478 best Mexican patio images on Pinterest | Haciendas, Spanish ...

Co-sign.  As someone who grew up enjoying such courtyards in both mexico and New Orleans, I'm all about it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

In the opposite direction of a conversation pit. I'd like to see more enclosed Mexican style courtyards in the US with a big ass gate instead of a front yard. That way I never have to see my neighbors again but can still sit outside.

Theres a fair amount of “atrium house” around here — with these wraparound/interior yards.

They are *all* built in the same small period in the 1970s. The size and layout are still contemporary and useful, but i havent seen one thats been renovated to modern standards. 

Seems like everyone bought one at the same time, kept it identical forever, and now starting to sell them off. 

23 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

These are pretty universal in that they don't have any yard. Which is great if you're a cat lady, but real men have dogs...that need a yard.

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

These are pretty universal in that they don't have any yard. Which is great if you're a cat lady, but real men have dogs...that need a yard.

I'm sure in 5 to 10 years everyone in Austin will have dog toilets and dog bidets. It'll just work out naturally.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Was discussing 70s home architecture with @Ghost of LL today, and I shared that as a child of the 70s, I was always super-jealous when I visited someone's house and they had a kick-ass, super-awesome, neato, conversation pit.

12028821_1037639206280801_90336892159588

SocialMillerHouseConversationPit_AnnieCo

Screenshot-2020-03-19-at-10.34.44.png

Is there a cooler feature your house can have?  No, there is not.  Do these need to make a massive comeback?  Yes, they do.

I was a fan back then.  I am a fan today.  If I ever have to remodel my living area, you're goddamn right I'm adding a conversation pit.

Had 2 homes in Houston that had those and they are awesome imo.

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Also, is this a conversation pit for ants?

Looks like a set for a Wes Anderson stop-motion film featuring anthropomorphic squirrels, mice, moles and other small rodents. 

Tilt-shift lens. Has the effect of making things look like they're in miniature.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Theres a fair amount of “atrium house” around here — with these wraparound/interior yards.

Grew up in a house with an enclosed atrium. Dad still has it. It was pretty cool having a garden in the middle of the house 365 days of the year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Oh yeah Rimbo, what you been harvest in that atrium?  Seems to me you've been using it, not for flowers, but for growing doobie!  

My name is Matt Foley and I live in a van down by the river. Sounds grim, I know.  But due to a Brisket-financed lift kit...I was able to install a conversation/sex pit between the axles in the floorboard.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was born in 1982, but have always been under the assumption that these were really just sex pits.

Kelly Clarkson Raise Hand GIF

1984… and yes, I too thought it was a sex thing.

As a child born in the 80’s, I just assumed all 70’s styling / things were due to drugs and sex parties. That’s why we had to worry about said drugs and AIDS, bc it was so rampant. 

It doesn’t have to make sense. It is as such a crazy weird time growing up in the 90’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

One of my friends parents recently bought a house in Brenham with one of these.  It’s definitely a differently designed house than anything else in the area, also has an indoor pool and hot tub room or did before they remodeled.  

Now THAT….was a sex palace. Bravo for the designer.
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Kelly Clarkson Raise Hand GIF

1984… and yes, I too thought it was a sex thing.

As a child born in the 80’s, I just assumed all 70’s styling / things were due to drugs and sex parties. That’s why we had to worry about said drugs and AIDS, bc it was so rampant.

It doesn’t have to make sense. It is as such a crazy weird time growing up in the 90’s. 

I was born right at the very tail-end of the massive drop-off in birth rates between '64-'76.  That half generation just fell off a cliff.  Leveled out into a much more steady decline after I was born. 

But I bet dollars to donuts, it was due largely to the advent and ubiquity of the conversation pit.  As mid-century and post-war construction gives way to the next phase of suburban and even high-rise multi-family dwellings, the 'Conversation Pit' idea takes off and fast right there in the back half of the 1960's to late 1970's.  A sort of rec room meets parlor meets den meets salon.  Proper cocktails, home cinemas, hi-fi for the great music of the day, artful decor, perfect for hosting, lounging, and cultural displays of hipness.  That was the first year.  By 1965, people realized it's absolutely perfect for coke and gin fueled key parties with Kubrick and Fleetwood Mac on the A/V system. The men are so fucked up on drugs and alcohol, nobody can climax.  Those that can "finish" in what they thought was a bushy blond in flowery panties, but turns out it was two pastel, velour throw pillows.  the women barely keep interest because Steve McQueen is on the tele and the ladies are discovering grass.  So the birth rates fall rapidly since people are fucking, but not procreating down in the Pit of Iniquity.  Where Earth Tones and Sperm live forever... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I was born right at the very tail-end of the massive drop-off in birth rates between '64-'76.  That half generation just fell off a cliff.  Leveled out into a much more steady decline after I was born. 

But I bet dollars to donuts, it was due largely to the advent and ubiquity of the conversation pit.  As mid-century and post-war construction gives way to the next phase of suburban and even high-rise multi-family dwellings, the 'Conversation Pit' idea takes off and fast right there in the back half of the 1960's to late 1970's.  A sort of rec room meets parlor meets den meets salon.  Proper cocktails, home cinemas, hi-fi for the great music of the day, artful decor, perfect for hosting, lounging, and cultural displays of hipness.  That was the first year.  By 1965, people realized it's absolutely perfect for coke and gin fueled key parties with Kubrick and Fleetwood Mac on the A/V system. The men are so fucked up on drugs and alcohol, nobody can climax.  Those that can "finish" in what they thought was a bushy blond in flowery panties, but turns out it was two pastel, velour throw pillows.  the women barely keep interest because Steve McQueen is on the tele and the ladies are discovering grass.  So the birth rates fall rapidly since people are fucking, but not procreating down in the Pit of Iniquity.  Where Earth Tones and Sperm live forever... 

Don McLean’s B-side was something else.

Who knew?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Tilt-shift lens. Has the effect of making things look like they're in miniature.

Grew up in a house with an enclosed atrium. Dad still has it. It was pretty cool having a garden in the middle of the house 365 days of the year.

My neighbor (and ex-girlfriend) in San Antonio had one, awesome as hell.

There’s a house in Arlington, on Fielder I think, black and white, with ramparts atop. Looks more like a fortress than a castle.  But is your normal 2 story 3k sq ft home otherwise. 

I always wondered what the inside looked like.  

I now presume that it must have a conversation pit. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

Our current house was built in the 80's. All of them in our small neighborhood had the same builder and nearly all have a sunken wet bar area. Many of the homes are turning over from their original owners and some of the new people are renovating and removing them. I'm leaving ours although I need to think about how to update it.

I like the conversation pit, but the courtyard with large covered walkways I'm obsessed with. I want nothing more than a spanish style home with a courtyard and pool in the middle. 

Spanish Colonial House Plans With Courtyard | House Plans And Designs | Courtyard  house plans, Spanish style house, Hacienda style homes

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I like the conversation pit, but the courtyard with large covered walkways I'm obsessed with. I want nothing more than a spanish style home with a courtyard and pool in the middle. 

Spanish Colonial House Plans With Courtyard | House Plans And Designs | Courtyard  house plans, Spanish style house, Hacienda style homes

We vacationed in Antigua Guatemala one year and stayed in a house like this it was spectacular.

I have a Spanish friend who has a house like this - in Austin. He also has a separate building for his record collection. Wall to wall, ceiling to ceiling vinyl. He might have every rock, blues, jazz, funk, etc. album ever recorded. 

We have a modern mid-century design and almost put in a step down living room but decided against it so we could more easily live here in our 70s and 80s. More likely we will move sooner for weather now. 

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

there are more homes than you think in the jollyville area that have these.  i think they're terrible death traps.  

Yeah, a couple of bottles of wine in the conversation pit with your couple friends from next door and I bet you forget there were steps.

3 hours ago, troph said:

We vacationed in Antigua Guatemala one year and stayed in a house like this it was spectacular.

I have a Spanish friend who has a house like this - in Austin. He also has a separate building for his record collection. Wall to wall, ceiling to ceiling vinyl. He might have every rock, blues, jazz, funk, etc. album ever recorded. 

We have a modern mid-century design and almost put in a step down living room but decided against it so we could more easily live here in our 70s and 80s. More likely we will move sooner for weather now. 

I hope that record room has a serious fire suppression system

23 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Noche de fiesta

Todos vienen a celebrar!