Conspiracy Theories

Goredho

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the things that drives this is education and understanding.

A person can be quite smart, but if they don't have fundamental knowledge of how civics, society, and the rest of the world works, they're vulnerable.   

We, as a society, lack first-hand knowledge of just about everything that goes on outside of our personal perception.  We rely on reports, often journalism, to know what's going on and to explain it, if it needs explaining or is susceptible to explanation.

If we have a firm grasp on how various aspects of government, or society, or the world at large, actually work, we can "dead reckon" that what is reported to us is, for the most part, correct.

If we do not have that firm grasp, or it has been undermined, then we become susceptible to believing that what is reported is not correct, at least for the most part, and some bullshit that some asshole on xtwatter or youtube came up with is the actual truth.  And you confuse that with critical thinking and start thinking you and the asshole are actually smart.

It’s also exposure to How the World Works. If you are insular and provincial (goes along with education) easier to succumb to conspiratorial thinking as you are not personally bumping up against the alleged conspirators: 

- No one who has seriously engaged with the government can believe they are capable of secretly doing 9/11

- No one who knows a lot of Jews can believe they are capable of pulling all the strings in Hollywood or the news 

- No one who has been part of an NGO or foundation can believe that Soros controls all the governments and the democratic party 

Or a favorite, that is gone now but will hit home with you: Someone invited a carburetor that gives 300 MPG but Big Oil or maybe the car companies or both bought the patent and sits on it.  That’s just not how either technological advancements or patents are going to work, but if you don’t have any encounter with either, it can kind of be credible. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s also exposure to How the World Works. If you are insular and provincial (goes along with education) easier to succumb to conspiratorial thinking as you are not personally bumping up against the alleged conspirators: 

- No one who has seriously engaged with the government can believe they are capable of secretly doing 9/11

- No one who knows a lot of Jews can believe they are capable of pulling all the strings in Hollywood or the news 

- No one who has been part of an NGO or foundation can believe that Soros controls all the governments and the democratic party 

Or a favorite, that is gone now but will hit home with you: Someone invited a carburetor that gives 300 MPG but Big Oil or maybe the car companies or both bought the patent and sits on it.  That’s just not how either technological advancements or patents are going to work, but if you don’t have any encounter with either, it can kind of be credible. 

Yes I was struggling with the definition of the information set required, but How The World Works is pretty good.  And yeah, I've seen multiple theories about how Big Pharma is sitting on cures for cancer, alcoholism and various other presently incurable maladies because patents or sell more perineum-necrosis meds or something.

One common thread is that they do seize often on legitimate bad actors (Pharma) or deeply flawed institutions (justice system, FBI) but they get the bad acts and flaws very wrong indeed.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

The earth was indeed flat for him in the end. 

RIP. Rest in planar.

His theory was he could crash through the flat earth and come out on the other side.  But Big Rock caught wind of it and made the dirt harder at the impact site, foiling his brilliant plan to prove all you round earthers wrong, ya stupid sips!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

His theory was he could crash through the flat earth and come out on the other side.  But Big Rock caught wind of it and made the dirt harder at the impact site, foiling his brilliant plan to prove all you round earthers wrong, ya stupid sips!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:31 PM, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, the "official" story is ridiculously implausible.   I mean, what are the odds that he'd get shot right in front of the Kennedy Memorial?

Odds aren’t as bad as Lou Gehrig dying from Lou Gehrig’s disease.  Ho many Lou Gehrig’s has the world seen?  Certainly fewer than the number of Kennedys. 

• Drool 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:26 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

One thing I wanted to add is that I don't think this is really wholly laid at the feet of education, which is one reason "How The World Works" is a great definition.  

It's a matter of curiosity, observation, exposure, and interest moreso than whether they had a decent social studies curriculum in middle school and high school.  Whether they paid any attention at all is probably a bigger factor than the curriculum or teacher.

Most of the ignoramuses paid no attention to any of the various institutions or mechanisms they theorize about until some watershed event.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a matter of curiosity, observation, exposure, and interest moreso than whether they had a decent social studies curriculum in middle school and high school.  Whether they paid any attention at all is probably a bigger factor than the curriculum or teacher.

Most of the ignoramuses paid no attention to any of the various institutions or mechanisms they theorize about until some watershed event.

I think it boils down to curiosity. Some folks have it and nurture it, and others just UNGA BUNGA their way through life. Knowing how to break an assumption down into provable or supportable pieces is a dying art, because so many folks just accept and run with "people are saying"

That entire dynamic is what powered the jan6 coup attempt

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That entire dynamic is what powered the jan6 coup attempt

I think what is hard to comprehend for most folks is how the ongoing active measures campaigns on social media worked elusively on a grassroots level to mobilize something like a January 6th.

There was a reaffirming feedback loop between Trump’s rhetoric, Fox News, Congressional Trumpublicans, and people on Facebook you might otherwise respect and consider their opinion valuable.  This loop was ongoing throughout the Trump administration and arguably before. Trump himself spent most of his time as President watching Fox News and tweeting conspiracy theories, his supporters followed his lead and the consequences were predictable. 

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think what is hard to comprehend for most folks is how the ongoing active measures campaigns on social media worked elusively on a grassroots level to mobilize something like a January 6th.

There was a reaffirming feedback loop between Trump’s rhetoric, Fox News, Congressional Trumpublicans, and people on Facebook you might otherwise respect and consider their opinion valuable.  This loop was ongoing throughout the Trump administration and arguably before. Trump himself spent most of his time as President watching Fox News and tweeting conspiracy theories, his supporters followed his lead and the consequences were predictable. 

That sounds like at least a flirtatious conspiracy :P

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

That sounds like at least a flirtatious conspiracy :P

Thing is - what Hugo is describing is not a conspiracy. That actually happened. Trumps entire MO was to gin up a crisis, either fabricated whole cloth or with a twisted and tortured set of alternative facts, and then use that crisis to justify further authoritarian measures. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Thing is - what Hugo is describing is not a conspiracy. That actually happened. Trumps entire MO was to gin up a crisis, either fabricated whole cloth or with a twisted and tortured set of alternative facts, and then use that crisis to justify further authoritarian measures. 

Yes, but the definition of a conspiracy is  “a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.” 

People are pleading guilty to charges related to the conspiracy to steal the 2020 election on behalf of Trump.  So by definition the 2020 election was stolen from Trump big lie is not a conspiracy theory, it’s just a no shit conspiracy between Trump, his inner circle, other MAGA politicians, the my crusty pillow guy and right wing news purveyors.  Maybe even Putin and his disinformation machine.  Your point is my point.

10 years ago, such a scenario would just be dismissed as a conspiracy theory along with flat earth, moon landing faked, 9/11 was an inside job, the Clinton’s murdered everyone, etc…  But it’s not a conspiracy theory.  It’s a no shit conspiracy of at least a national if not global scope.

The ironic thing is that when there’s a no shit conspiracy happening, my friend can’t recognize it because it doesn’t line up with all the conspiracy theories he’s been trained on.  The government couldn’t possibly be a protagonist in a conspiracy!  Likewise, those of us who are dubious about conspiracy theories don’t wan’t to recognize it, either, because we’ve been trained to dismiss the idea of large scale conspiracies out of hand.

The power of preconditioning and bias is strong. 

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

if it's obvious and in the open, but no one really wants to talk about it, is it a conspiracy?  

like, say, a major rival nation funds a political organization to buy influence with a political party that simply seeks to remain in power rather than govern meaningfully? maybe that nation uses an actual honeypot spy out of a bad 1950s thriller? maybe the behavior of the loudest faction of that political party now behaves in a manner that directly benefits that nation? 

i dunno. i might have something for you if you think so. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

if it's obvious and in the open, but no one really wants to talk about it, is it a conspiracy?  

like, say, a major rival nation funds a political organization to buy influence with a political party that simply seeks to remain in power rather than govern meaningfully? maybe that nation uses an actual honeypot spy out of a bad 1950s thriller? maybe the behavior of the loudest faction of that political party now behaves in a manner that directly benefits that nation? 

i dunno. i might have something for you if you think so. 

Yeah, in your description the only thing that doesn’t line up is the out in the open part.  But the conspiracy to attempt to overturn the 2020 election was not always in the open.  Turnip’s call to the Georgia Secretary of State to find the votes was made in secrecy.  It was an attempt to recruit them into the conspiracy, it failed, and that’s the only reason we know about it.   Otherwise, we’d just know about a bunch of votes that were found in Georgia after the election.

The NASA/Deep State Fake Solar Eclipse Hoax will be on QAnon by the end of the day, if not already there. 

Q: Why does the total eclipse only last 4 minutes?

A: Because NASA was afraid it would get caught if the fakery lasted longer. After all, the satellites blocking the sun with circular canopies can only do it so long...

KV6 4minutes.jpg

• Haha 1

A lot of these people that I have interacted with like to act superior and brag about how they aren't sheep because they question things. Questioning things and being curious and forming your own conclusions is very important and I encourage everyone to do so. The problem is when they start to associate questioning things with ALWAYS taking the contrarian position. Sometimes things are really exactly as they seem. Much of life is just normal mundane bullshit. Not everything is interesting and it doesn't need to be. Making up crazy theories to explain something that is otherwise easily explainable does not make you an intellectual. It actually means you're an idiot.

Occam’s Razor. Idiots assume a massive Rube Goldberg contraption that leads to the most mundane results. Nope. It’s just basic shit, leading to basic shit.
That they believe in conspiracies that involve “false flags” or some shit is even dumber. COVID was a great example. I was literally reading and hearing people decry COVID as a hoax, it wasn’t making people any more sick than the flu, and wasn’t affecting people….as I was being an outlet for two of my hospital chaplain friends who were exhausted and shell shocked from being with dozens and dozens of people as they went on vents, and as they died - they’d never been through anything remotely like this. And also as I was on the phone with local government officials late in the night as they scrambled for resources to both treat patients in parking lots and to store stacks of bodies (they were flat-out of room).
But the conspiracy nuts insisted that all of these things that were actually happening, I saw and dealt with them personally…were not actually happening.
It’s fucking insane.
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:25 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

7A301D5C-AF75-4ACD-8BA1-BA068D4A25F8_zps

For reference 

That list is pretty wild. As far as the chyron goes, I’d like to hear what his baseless, dangerous claim was about Epstein death.

I think the contrarian opinion regarding that would be that it was just a garden variety suicide. 

These believers are the core of MAGA, the red hat idiots that worship the Orange Idiot and got him elected in 2016 (year of the survey). 

Paranoia and conspiracy beliefs are at the heart of fascism and all authoritarian ideologies, including theocratic believers, as history has shown.

This is no longer fringe dudes at the library and in Dealey Plaza with flyers about JFK assassination. This is unhinged, mass madness. 

Conspiracy2016.jpg

Edited by BevoAbyss
clarity.

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2023 at 1:52 PM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I love me a good conspiracy theory but mostly intrigued by ones that don't involve horrific intentions like one world government, globalist cabals, or just really sad and pathetic ones like the flat earthers. My favorite by far: Stevie Wonder isn't really blind

Theres an old Deadspin (yes I know) article with the evidence laid out that sadly most of the links and pictures are broken because Deadspin (and Twitter post Musk) haven't done a good job keeping things around, but can get the general gist here:

https://deadspin.com/stevie-wonder-is-not-blind-the-evidence-1641795715

Really wish I could find the last picture posted because it was dead ass Stevie Wonder holding a camera view finder up to his eyes to take a picture of the Michael Jackson wax sculpture. The ones of him following basketball plays courtside are pretty good too.

I saw this clip and immediately thought of this lol. At 1:18 his glasses slide off and his eyes definitely look fucked up. As an aside, great follow on Twitter. 

The 1972 tour is pretty legendary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

So, a rich relative of Mitch McConnell's dies in Blanco County.  I'm already reading about how unusual the accident was. . . .

Remembering Angela Chao: What we know about the Austin CEO who died at a Texas ranch

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2024/02/27/angela-chao-death-jim-breyer-wife-mitch-mcconnell-sister-in-law-austin-accident-texas/72749423007/

• 4 weeks later...

Lara Logan, Steve Bannon, Alex Jones, etc…..talking about how they hit a load-bearing pylon when EVERY FUCKING PYLON UNDER THAT BRIDGE IS LOAD-BEARING

Season 2 Smh GIF by The Lonely Island

Lara Logan Sounds the Alarm on the Baltimore Bridge Collapse “We are in an undeclared war & Intelligence Agencies are Telling me it was an Act Cyber Terrorism”

• Why is the Biden Administration telling the country when his own Intelligence Agencies are telling him it is?

• Those who are on the inside, critical infrastructure, DHS, and Intel agencies know are telling Lara this was a cyber attack on the critical infrastructure of the US

• The I-94 corridor on the eastern seaboard is literally what connects the North and South

• This was a brilliant strategic attack on one of the most important supply chain in America

• Everything that you need for the economy to move has been shut down for 4-5 years— Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

• They strategically targeted these load-bearing pylons.

• This is called death by 1,000 cuts — They are “bringing the US to its knees step by step from within.”

• 100% Lara says someone hacked into the GPS System and re-royed the ship. —— they did it at night because most of the crew is asleep.

• One of the Intel Analysts she spoke to said this…. “They have figured out how to bring us down. As long as you stay away from the teeth of the US military, you can pick the US apart. We are arrogant and ignorant - lethal combination. Obama said they would fundamentally change America and they did. We are in a free-fall ride on a roller coaster right now - no brakes - just picking up speed.”

• She called out Anons for dismissing the seriousness of the bridge collapse… —— Just to be clear, I think she’s speaking about a few specific individuals with big followings who’s trying to downplay it. Not anons imo.

@laralogan nailed it and she I believe is spot on with her assessment. This was a strategic move attacking our infrastructure.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

dammit, I almost forgot about her too

Man....she's a tough one.  Because her rape in Egypt clearly completely fucking broke her brain.  What she experienced was awful, and she deserves some gentle handling.

But....enough of that shit.  She has abused the latitude she should get.  She's a batshit crazy piece of shit spewing pure poison lies.  She's a garbage human being and should be shunned and ruined.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man....she's a tough one.  Because her rape in Egypt clearly completely fucking broke her brain.  What she experienced was awful, and she deserves some gentle handling.

But....enough of that shit.  She has abused the latitude she should get.  She's a batshit crazy piece of shit spewing pure poison lies.  She's a garbage human being and should be shunned and ruined.

Yeah, I'm always hesitant to think of her in the same way of the other wing-nuts b/c of her rape.  But, jfc, she needs help; she's not well. 

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Lara Logan, Steve Bannon, Alex Jones, etc…..talking about how they hit a load-bearing pylon when EVERY FUCKING PYLON UNDER THAT BRIDGE IS LOAD-BEARING

Season 2 Smh GIF by The Lonely Island

Lara Logan Sounds the Alarm on the Baltimore Bridge Collapse “We are in an undeclared war & Intelligence Agencies are Telling me it was an Act Cyber Terrorism”

• Why is the Biden Administration telling the country when his own Intelligence Agencies are telling him it is?

• Those who are on the inside, critical infrastructure, DHS, and Intel agencies know are telling Lara this was a cyber attack on the critical infrastructure of the US

• The I-94 corridor on the eastern seaboard is literally what connects the North and South

• This was a brilliant strategic attack on one of the most important supply chain in America

• Everything that you need for the economy to move has been shut down for 4-5 years— Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

• They strategically targeted these load-bearing pylons.

• This is called death by 1,000 cuts — They are “bringing the US to its knees step by step from within.”

• 100% Lara says someone hacked into the GPS System and re-royed the ship. —— they did it at night because most of the crew is asleep.

• One of the Intel Analysts she spoke to said this…. “They have figured out how to bring us down. As long as you stay away from the teeth of the US military, you can pick the US apart. We are arrogant and ignorant - lethal combination. Obama said they would fundamentally change America and they did. We are in a free-fall ride on a roller coaster right now - no brakes - just picking up speed.”

• She called out Anons for dismissing the seriousness of the bridge collapse… —— Just to be clear, I think she’s speaking about a few specific individuals with big followings who’s trying to downplay it. Not anons imo.

@laralogan nailed it and she I believe is spot on with her assessment. This was a strategic move attacking our infrastructure.

6ad712e1-1444-4c2c-bd90-dd49bfe148af_tex

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

image.png.dd907098fda990175baaed8efa45fc51.png

Coot coot?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yeah, I'm always hesitant to think of her in the same way of the other wing-nuts b/c of her rape.  But, jfc, she needs help; she's not well. 

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have no idea if she was already leaning into right-wing bullshit conspiracies before Egypt and Egypt just amplified it or what, but she’s definitely not well.  

She’s South African, so I’ve sometimes wondered if that had any influence.  She was a journalist for decades before Egypt at respected organizations, so she should know better than to toss out such batshit unfounded conspiracy bullshit.

Edited by atomheartbevo

If a ship loses power and runs into something and your first thought is China hacked the GPS systems, and you believe some dumbfucks who think a single bridge will destroy the US economy, it’s a wonder you can tie your own shoelaces.

• Hook 'Em 2

We have built systems of such size and complexity that they approach forces of nature.  Even intelligent and rational people are incapable of giving a full account of how and why a ship the size of the Dali can be loaded with precision and safely sailed out of Baltimore Harbor, under a bridge, and across oceans.  

Ask a smart, educated non-expert how “GPS” works and you’ll get something like “a set of satellites send messages to receivers on earth.” The ship’s captain is aware of many computers and what their functions are on his vessel.  But he is likely quite incapable of explaining how information is placed on a small piece of ultra-pure silicon. 

Moreover, we have built these complex systems so well that serious malfunctions are rare and usually unnoticed by all of us. It’s a miracle that we EVER sail skyscrapers on their side underneath the Key Bridge.

And as a species, we got where we are by closely observing cause and effect and by never accepting that things “just happen.”  It is a feature, not a bug, for us to come up with theories.  The theories going around about this are no different than “Thag got struck by lightning because he must have angered the Storm God.”  We have to actively fight our brains to get to where we can accept “some shit I don’t understand just happened.” 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3046603

This paper synthesizes existing work on misinformation relating to policy-relevant facts. It argues that misinformation has the greatest power to mislead when it interacts with identity-protective cognition....

....Identity-protective cognition (IPC) is a species of motivated reasoning. Motivated reasoning refers to the unconscious tendency of people to selectively credit and dismiss factual information in patterns that promote some goal or interest independent of the truth of the asserted facts. When that goal or interest is the protection of one’s status within an important affinity group, the information consumer can be said to be displaying IPC (Sherman & Cohen 2006). 

The “motivated public” account also highlights the most important missing piece of existing research: how and why particular positions on disputed facts acquire the antagonistic social meanings that turn them into badges of group identity (Lessig 1995; Kahan, Jamieson et al. 2017).  Along with accident and misadventure, misinformation no doubt plays a role. But for this purpose, misinformation that takes aim only at the facts that underlie a disputed political issue will not be particularly effective; what will be is misinformation that implies the issue is one that already starkly divides members of opposing identity-defining groups; that’s the message that has the greatest potential to spark the sort of group-status conflict that disables the capacity of diverse citizens to recognize what science knows. Not until that sort of information is brought under control will it be possible to protect the science communication environment from the particular toxin of IPC. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If a ship loses power and runs into something and your first thought is China hacked the GPS systems, and you believe some dumbfucks who think a single bridge will destroy the US economy, it’s a wonder you can tie your own shoelaces.

Oh yeah? Noted security expert General Mike Flynn has a response to you, buddy! 

• Haha 1