Texas vs houston - 3:00pm on Fox

Pancho

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I can work with that. Just as much, I enjoyed the fact that those clips had neither audio trash blaring nor bob cole’s voice. 

I don’t remember hearing the UH PA announcer at all today. It also wasn’t loud at all. My buddy and I were able to shoot the shit and not have to yell to be able to talk to each other.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Was anyone else in section 333? A fight broke out between a UH fan and his UT fan friends and a group of UT fans. They had no security or police on the second level. I found it crazy for such a big game for UH that they really didn’t have any police or security presence or anyone working for them around the 2nd and 3rd levels

LOL I was there early before we moved at half time. Was the UH guy the one in the white shirt talking MAD shit? That was mostly a UT crowd and I overheard lots of people saying they were going to hit that dude in the face. Like row 6 seat 25 or so?

4 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I don’t remember hearing the UH PA announcer at all today. It also wasn’t loud at all. My buddy and I were able to shoot the shit and not have to yell to be able to talk to each other.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can work with that. Just as much, I enjoyed the fact that those clips had neither audio trash blaring nor bob cole’s voice. 

Yeah… told several UH fans I appreciated that their game experience wasn’t over produced to hell, except the annoying stadium dj guy but that was pretty negligible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Etexhorn13 said:

LOL I was there early before we moved at half time. Was the UH guy the one in the white shirt talking MAD shit? That was mostly a UT crowd and I overheard lots of people saying they were going to hit that dude in the face. Like row 6 seat 25 or so?

Yes! He was going “AAAHHH” repeatedly anytime UH did anything and talking shit with everyone. During the second half, I turned to one of my friends and told her we should get ready to move if they started fighting. 30 seconds later I noticed him talking shit with the people behind him. I said it’s time to move NOW. We moved to some empty seats above and then they started throwing hands.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Yes! He was going “AAAHHH” repeatedly anytime UH did anything and talking shit with everyone. During the second half, I turned to one of my friends and told her we should get ready to move if they started fighting. 30 seconds later I noticed him talking shit with the people behind him. I said it’s time to move NOW. We moved to some empty seats above and then they started throwing hands.

yeah I was two rows up from that dude and he tried to talk shit to me at one point and I just told him to look at the scoreboard. I hope he took the worst of whatever happened. Was it an older guy that threw punches, or the big group of Hispanic longhorns right behind him? Old guy a few rows up offered my cousins 5 year old son $20 to punch him 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Well, if Ewers is out an extended period of time and we don’t win the rig 12, that’s Sark’s excuse this year. Next year, something else. Then so on. But our powers that be thought that some magic dust would rub off of Saban and make Sark a top ten coach despite his past record. It’s becoming clearer that Sark ain’t it. And yes, I know other teams nearly lost or upset but I’m focused on us.

You know we won, right?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Our OLine somehow prevented Quinn from getting sacked at all against Alabama, but against Houston somehow Quinn was sacked several times. I just don't get it. 

One I would say was on Quinn for stepping right into the rush unnecessarily. Not his best game in the pocket, no doubt due in some measure to OL. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Modessit said:
8 hours ago, Zeus said:
When did Quinn hurt his shoulder?? Looked like the sack with 7 to go in the third....guy landing right on em. Throwing shoulder hit the ground hard. 

Not sure it was a shoulder. He was limping several times before that hit.

Wasn't he wearing a sling on the sidelines on his throwing shoulder? Could have sworn I saw that. 

If so it's probably at best 2 to 3 weeks out and at worst done for the year or at least until the break before bowl games. A fracture would be 6 to 8 weeks min. 

Let's face it. Dude has underachieved after his hot start to the season. He was a Heisman favorite after week 2 and now he's a complete after thought. Also, if Arch is a real deal Manning the redshirt will mean nothing as he'll be gone after 3 seasons or 4 max. If the reports he was outplaying Malik most of camp and have been getting some 2nd team reps were true then let's roll

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Wasn't he wearing a sling on the sidelines on his throwing shoulder? Could have sworn I saw that. 

If so it's probably at best 2 to 3 weeks out and at worst done for the year or at least until the break before bowl games. A fracture would be 6 to 8 weeks min. 

Yes he was in a sling

14 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Let's face it. Dude has underachieved after his hot start to the season. He was a Heisman favorite after week 2 and now he's a complete after thought. Also, if Arch is a real deal Manning the redshirt will mean nothing as he'll be gone after 3 seasons or 4 max. If the reports he was outplaying Malik most of camp and have been getting some 2nd team reps were true then let's roll

He's played pretty well sans the first quarter of OU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The safety combo of Taaffe and Crawford has to be the worst or one of the worst in the conference. The kid Williams will have some freshman issues but dealing with those while getting his playmaking can't be worse than what they're getting now. They need Catalon back badly. 

Taaffe struggled but also had that big INT

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

The safety combo of Taaffe and Crawford has to be the worst or one of the worst in the conference. The kid Williams will have some freshman issues but dealing with those while getting his playmaking can't be worse than what they're getting now. They need Catalon back badly. 

You can not put Crawford out there against passing teams. It’s awful. It’s worse than it seems to the naked eye because he oftentimes misses assignments so badly that it looks like it is the fault of another player. Nope, it’s Crawford. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but why in the fuck is Quinn lowering his shouldering to pick up 3-4 yards on 3rd & 6?!?!?!? The time he got injured wasn't the first time he pulled that yesterday. I like that he's using his legs a little bit, but if the yards aren't there slide or run out of bounds.

IIRC after many drinks he tried to do a spin move instead of running OB on the play he got injured on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Ugly win. However, the one of the only gods takes from this game is that we had 0 turnovers. Houston had 2. 

While this is technically true, the fake FG and the incomplete deep shot to Mitchell on 4th down are effectively turnovers. We also had two of these against OU - running into the kicker conversion and goal line stop - which effectively made the turnover battle 0-5 in OU’s favor. Sark’s 4th down decision making is proving to be questionable at best.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but why in the fuck is Quinn lowering his shouldering to pick up 3-4 yards on 3rd & 6?!?!?!? The time he got injured wasn't the first time he pulled that yesterday. I like that he's using his legs a little bit, but if the yards aren't there slide or run out of bounds.

IIRC after many drinks he tried to do a spin move instead of running OB on the play he got injured on. 

He was trying to win a FB game, and a 1st down there was critical. I admire him for his guts. Sometimes things just don't go the way you want.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

He was trying to win a FB game, and a 1st down there was critical. I admire him for his guts. Sometimes things just don't go the way you want.

IIRC he actually took the hit on that run with the left side of his body. I think he was injured when he was sacked on 1st down right before the 1st half ended.

Edit: which would explain why he checked down to Brooks on seemingly every pass play until he was pulled.

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

You can not put Crawford out there against passing teams. It’s awful. It’s worse that it seems to the naked eye because he oftentimes misses assignments so badly that it looks like it is the fault of another player. Nope, it’s Crawford. 

You can't play him against running teams because he can't tackle either.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Was anyone else in section 333? A fight broke out between a UH fan and his UT fan friends and a group of UT fans. They had no security or police on the second level. I found it crazy for such a big game for UH that they really didn’t have any police or security presence or anyone working for them around the 2nd and 3rd levels

Police dont go to third ward. Cougar high is in a literal ghetto.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

IIRC he actually took the hit on that run with the left side of his body. I think he was injured when he was sacked on 1st down right before the 1st half ended.

Edit: which would explain why he checked down to Brooks on seemingly every pass play until he was pulled.

I saw that. Why did we even run a play? Just need it and head to the locker room. And then all the checkdowns. Makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm happy to get a win but that was way more ugly and unnecessarily close than it needed to be. It showed more of the bad Sark tendencies like going for it in inexplicable situations where taking points is the better move and sticking with Quinn when it's not working. It was obvious something was wrong with Quinn for most of the 3rd. Yet Sark kept going to him. I'm glad Maalik was able to come in and shepherd the offense to get the win. PK also has got to make some changes in the secondary. They are way too slow and clueless at times. I don't know what options he has but get them dialed up because your secondary is getting torched. I'm hopeful Sark can get an offense prepared to play to Maalik's strengths. Dude has a cannon. Aim is off though. BYU is another team that's going to come into DKR with a chip on their shoulder and unafraid of "Big Bad Texas". They live for these kind of underdog games. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He's completing 70% of his passes and has 18 total TDs and 3 INTs. Were you hoping for better?

He was not good yesterday after the first quarter.  There isn't any other way to spin it.  I'm not sure if Houston started doing something on defense he wasn't expecting or what but he absolutely could not process or progress through reads and just checked down over and over.   Like someone said yesterday, if Sark doesn't scheme a WR open that he recognizes pre-snap he doesn't process well.  I don't have any idea how that is going to translate to NFL QB and I'm betting scouts see games like yesterday and second guess his multi-million dollar arm.

Everyone was bitching about Sark "stalling" with the offense but we have better players that should win every matchup  at TE/WR and Quinn just turtled.   I know he was injured at that point, but the goal line series where he threw the ball away twice with numerous open receivers was just bad.  On the 3rd down, he could have actually just checked down and Brooks walks in.

16 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I saw that. Why did we even run a play? Just need it and head to the locker room. And then all the checkdowns. Makes sense. 

Yeah I didn’t get why we ran a play. There was effectively no upside and it got QE drilled and gave UH even more momentum.

That game made me drink a lot but it seemed that during the 1Q, QE had all day. In the 2Q, UH started bringing pressure and it just killed our offense because we couldn’t pick it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

We only had 4 real second half drives outside of the kneel down drive.

1. 10 plays, 31 yards. Bad 4th down call to Mitchell. Didn’t mind going for it. Have a better play.

2. Following the strip sack. 11 plays, 31 yards. Had to settle for a FG

3. First drive with Maalik in. Punt

4. Game winning TD drive

It was a weird second half. It didn’t feel like we were getting ball controlled but it also felt like we never had the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

In the slow mo there is surely an argument to be made that the runner gained enough for a first down. However, this is the first time I’ve seen it at live speed (daughter basketball tournament) and it’s also easy to see where the spot came from at live game speed. It was a bang bang play as much as a spot can be. If he gained the line it was for a split second before he was turned back. If someone wants to argue it should have been reviewed then I think that’s a a valid argument but the initial game speed call was not as egregious as it is being made out to be. See 8:06 in the video below

I could give two shits about the spot on that play. We never saw a definitive angle. What we did see, definitively, was Barryn Sorrel get choked and damn near decapitated at 6:42, and nobody on tv said shit about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My biggest gripe with Sark is game management. 

1) Fake FG. Take the 3 points in that situation. 

2) 4th and 2 passing play to Mitchell made no sense. It was such a low-percentage type play. Convert that with a better play call and it's another potential 3 or 7 points. 

3) Did we go into halftime with 3 timeouts again? I think we did. Use those timeouts to help your defense or save time to give your offense time to put together a possession before halftime. 

Sark cost us anywhere from around 7-15 points with game management. None of the other shit would have mattered with better decision-making. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

yeah I was two rows up from that dude and he tried to talk shit to me at one point and I just told him to look at the scoreboard. I hope he took the worst of whatever happened. Was it an older guy that threw punches, or the big group of Hispanic longhorns right behind him? Old guy a few rows up offered my cousins 5 year old son $20 to punch him 😂

It was the longhorns right behind him

• Hook 'Em 1

Glad we will never have to visit that city unless it's a choice to play Rice in NRG. I would feel the exact same about playing SMU. There will never be a benefit to us in playing Texas teams we were once conference mates with. Give UTEP, Rice, North Texas, Texas State, and UTSA more chances to play us going forward if we need give Texas teams some games. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

He's completing 70% of his passes and has 18 total TDs and 3 INTs. Were you hoping for better?

After beating Alabama with that great performance? After being the number 1 QB recruit in his class in his 3rd and probably final year of college with one of the top receiver corps, a mid season first team All American RB, and a coach that got Mac fucking Jones the Heisman and a NC?

Yes. I was expecting a Heisman finalist if not winning season. That wasn't unrealistic after week 2. It's not a stretch to say he and the offense as a whole have underachieved.