Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Some mother fucker in my section attempted to start the wave in the 8th inning of game 7 of the ALCS this year. I have never been in a physical altercation at a sporting event but this was the closest I have ever come to attempting murder. Getting skull fucked by the rangers while this middle aged douche bag is trying to start the wave...garcia hit a bomb into the boxes as this mother fucker was turned around counting on his hand for people to stand up an wave...I am still mad

no jury would convict you

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Counsell is a manager that has been winning at a good clip for several years, well above his expected rate, with a team that on average, spends half the amount on payroll the Astros do every year. They have never spent more than 16 million per year on a player in the last decade, and the Astros have a few of those. I think he could do a lot more with the pieces the Astros have, and their budget. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Counsell is a manager that has been winning at a good clip for several years, well above his expected rate, with a team that on average, spends half the amount on payroll the Astros do every year. They have never spent more than 16 million per year on a player in the last decade, and the Astros have a few of those. I think he could do a lot more with the pieces the Astros have, and their budget. 

How much of his winning is inflated by playing in a dogshit division?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, runthebone said:

Not being in the WS is frustrating as shit. 

Especially when the Rangers are gonna win it, then talk massive amounts of shit about how they have the only legitimate World Series in the history of this state, even though Adolis is obviously on enough steroids to kill a horse.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, texashorne said:

Counsell would be great. Proven track record and checks alot of boxes. He's old school, ok with analytics, and has won at a decent clip as a manager. 

I forgot to mention he was able to manage his team to a 49-32 HOME record. Sign me the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

How much of his winning is inflated by playing in a dogshit division?

You could say the same about most of the Astros division titles and playoff success, but I think the NL Central has been more competitive than the AL West. Up until this year, the Rangers have been dogshit for a decade. The Angels are always finding new ways to fail. Athletics had a few good years early in our run, but are generally cheapskates who don't try hard. The Mariners have been good the last couple of years, but that's about it. You can only play the teams in front of you, and he has performed well enough to get several 95 win teams with half the payroll the Astros have. 

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

Counsell would be great. Proven track record and checks alot of boxes. He's old school, ok with analytics, and has won at a decent clip as a manager. 

He’s also not eligible to already collect social security checks. Sign me up 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So who could we hire as manager that we wouldn’t bitch about? Espada? Anyone else being floated as realistic options have been bitching so are we saying espada is it? I mean I’d take francona but he’s not realistic so I’m guessing so far it’s been

Washington

espada

ausmus

counsell

That’s all I’ve seen being floated. Am I missing anyone? 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So who could we hire as manager that we wouldn’t bitch about? Espada? Anyone else being floated as realistic options have been bitching so are we saying espada is it? I mean I’d take francona but he’s not realistic so I’m guessing so far it’s been

Washington

espada

ausmus

counsell

I would be fine with Espada, Linares, Counsell, or Venable.  I will be very surprised if Counsell is actually interested though.

Ausmus, Washington, or Kepler would be disasters.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Washington

espada

ausmus

counsell

C0407D43-323E-418A-BC94-0A20EA5AD7FF.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Why?  Isn’t the whole point of sports to chase championships?

I think Counsell to NY under stearns is a foregone conclusion.  I also think that the fact that there’s consistently been front office turmoil and/or conflict between the GM and Manager/Owner cross 4 seasons might lead some good candidates to pass on the job.

31 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I saw that tweet-it would be funny if we found out in the Evan Drellich penned account of the Astros 2023-2025 seasons entitled “How Did They Fuck This Up?!?” that Dana simply wasn’t invited to the manager interviews.  

Episode 2 Goodbye GIF by The Office