Official 2023 bitch about your family @ the Holidays thread

GhostOfTomJoad

Can report that Chicago PD responded to a wellness check within 10 minutes, no dogs were killed.

I realize something was amiss when my daughter didn’t text or answer her phone on her way to ORD for her 8 am flight. She was out with friends last night and my wife immediately went to “oh fuck our baby is bleeding out in some alley” but my first thought was that she broke or lost her phone.

Turns out that she overslept.

“Dad, why is a swat team with a battering ram outside my apartment?”

“Yeah about that…”

$180 for a new ticket, AA gave no fucks (nor did I expect them to.)

• Like 2

The MIL is migrating south to our house on Christmas Day. She asked us to send her a list of “sentimental gifts” she could get us. Complete bullshit. Just an attempt to not have to buy gifts for the holidays. Totally fine with that notion, just call it what it is. We got her “list” and it was the most over the top “sentimental” crap ever. “When you have time, and I know you are busy, I would like for you to clean out my closet”. “Sharing a meal and togetherness”. 

I like to watch the “Christmas Story” for the ump-teenth time while drinking whiskey and beer until 3AM! It wouldn’t seem like Christmas over the last two+ decades getting my kids’ stuff ready, so 2-3 hours later I can get woken up and then drink coffee like a sailor! Merry Christmas!!!

Hook’em!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stc said:

learned recently that in the catalonia region they have an interesting addition to their nativity scene...a bare assed man pooping. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

Was just there this fall and the pooping statuary is definitely a thing.  You can by one of just about any popular figure pooping.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

We're heading down to Plantersville from Tulsa tomorrow to spend the holiday at my folks' place.  Up until two days ago, we were planning to drive.  My wife saw on Tuesday that rain was forecast for pretty much the whole drive down.  She stresses about driving in the rain to an unhealthy extent, so she decides that she wants to fly down to IAH and rent a car.    

My internal monologue when thinking about flying on the weekend before Christmas:

Angry Frustration GIF by MOODMAN

My internal monologue when debating on how to respond to my wife:

Be Safe Star Wars GIF

My actual response to my wife when she asked:

Jimmy Fallon Whatever GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A cool $1500 for airfare, rental car, and paying for two full sized checked bags to take the gifts we had already wrapped.

Peace on Earth is pricy this year.

Wow dude

Not family, but nothing like having a lady t-bone my front end near the Domain today as I returned from the office holiday party. Apparently I caused confusion by using my turn signal. No injuries and she was terribly concerned and took full responsibility so about as easy of a bad situation as you can have. But now we'll get to spend the holidays wondering if they'll total my pristine car w/ less than 48K miles on it because the side airbags--but not steering wheel--deployed. I'd tie a good one on tonight but I've gotta work tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

We're heading down to Plantersville from Tulsa tomorrow to spend the holiday at my folks' place.  Up until two days ago, we were planning to drive.  My wife saw on Tuesday that rain was forecast for pretty much the whole drive down.  She stresses about driving in the rain to an unhealthy extent, so she decides that she wants to fly down to IAH and rent a car.   

I am so sorry to hear that. 75 to Indian Nations turnpike with a Pikepass through some beautiful rural country and then eventually drop onto 45 and you're there. Made very close to that drive many a time but then again, I like to drive or if I'm the passenger, just window gaze. Nothing against flying, but yeah, it's not an ice storm or anything. Now that (in Oklahoma where ice is so much fun) has led to some interesting holiday travel.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I am so sorry to hear that. 75 to Indian Nations turnpike with a Pikepass through some beautiful rural country and then eventually drop onto 45 and you're there. Made very close to that drive many a time but then again, I like to drive or if I'm the passenger, just window gaze. Nothing against flying, but yeah, it's not an ice storm or anything. Now that (in Oklahoma where ice is so much fun) has led to some interesting holiday travel.

Have done the drive many, many times.  I always enjoy it.   But this time it’s not worth the stress of her being stressed.  

While it's really nobodies fault, having my almost 94 year old grandma have a heart attack this week, and have to make her first ever hospital stay that wasn't related to childbirth has really put a dampener on the week. So far everyone has handled it well, although we haven't really told her yet that she needs too much help to continue living at home yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

My internal monologue when thinking about flying on the weekend before Christmas:

Be Safe Star Wars GIF

A cool $1500 for airfare, rental car, and paying for two full sized checked bags to take the gifts we had already wrapped.

You should've let your Tesla drive you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Was planning on doing something simple hosting my wife’s family. Taco bar with the spread. Easy

But my lazy, never hosting, do nothing but drink coffee and lay on couch or sit in chair would “prefer not to have tacos”. Because on Christmas Eve when he’s at his wife’s Christmas, they have tacos. So he’d prefer if his mom cook something like a ham or Turkey and the goods.

Mind you since he travels to his in-laws for Christmas Eve, he won’t be doing any of the cooking or providing for any of the fixings.

They travel a whopping less than 2 hrs, 100 miles.

So now my MIL bought a smoked Turkey she’s gonna cook. I guess we have to get the rest at the grocery store. Can’t get mashed potatoes because he’s allergic to night shades. Can’t cater pasta because his wife doesn’t like noodles and their daughter formed rashes when having red sauce almost 9 years ago and haven’t since tried it to see if she’d break out again. M
This fucking family never hosts or provides food and are the most difficult to feed

Fuck

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:25 PM, Guadaloopy said:

Be Safe Star Wars GIF

Get a new wife.... 

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2023 at 6:22 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Not family, but nothing like having a lady t-bone my front end near the Domain today as I returned from the office holiday party. Apparently I caused confusion by using my turn signal. No injuries and she was terribly concerned and took full responsibility so about as easy of a bad situation as you can have. But now we'll get to spend the holidays wondering if they'll total my pristine car w/ less than 48K miles on it because the side airbags--but not steering wheel--deployed. I'd tie a good one on tonight but I've gotta work tomorrow.

That sucks.  Last week my wife and daughter were t boned on Richmond.  Caused my wife’s SUV to roll.  Both were banged up and scared but okay.  Woman who hit her hasn’t bothered to check in on either.  But she did manage to post from Instagram on her nice beach vacation the next few days.   My wife and 12 year old daughter had to be transported from scene in an ambulance.  And you don’t bother to check in?  We also have a lot of mutual friends with this young woman and it would have taken her 5 seconds to figure that out if she cared.  I can’t imagine causing a wreck like that and not bothering to check on the people you rammed by your gross fucking negligence and being in a hurry/running a stop sign.  

It’s pissed me off enough that I’m probably going to sue her spoiled ass when we get back in town.  

Flying back to IAH today from Costa Rica should be a blast.  

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Rage+1 5

19 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

That sucks.  Last week my wife and daughter were t boned on Richmond.  Caused my wife’s SUV to roll.  Both were banged up and scared but okay.  Woman who hit her hasn’t bothered to check in on either.  But she did manage to post from Instagram on her nice beach vacation the next few days.   My wife and 12 year old daughter had to be transported from scene in an ambulance.  And you don’t bother to check in?  We also have a lot of mutual friends with this young woman and it would have taken her 5 seconds to figure that out if she cared.  I can’t imagine causing a wreck like that and not bothering to check on the people you rammed by your gross fucking negligence and being in a hurry/running a stop sign.  

It’s pissed me off enough that I’m probably going to sue her spoiled ass when we get back in town.  

Man, that really sucks. Glad your wife and daughter are ok. And fuck the guilty lady with a rusty nail. Sounds like a piece of shit. Hell, the stranger who hit me couldn't be nicer. She was crying over what she had done & genuinely contrite. We've exchanged text messages a few times just checking in & making sure everything is ok, making sure insurance info is correct, etc. She's actually restored some of my faith in their being good, responsible people out there.

I just found out yesterday that our adult niece & nephew are coming by on Christmas eve for a pancake brunch & mimosas. That will be fun. But now it's time for me to go pick up the HEB curbside order. Something tells me they'll be busier than most Saturday 7AM slots. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

To be fair, in today's world, fuck calling that other person.  The lawyers will probably turn into some admission of guilt.

Your dismay is possibly misdirected, is all I'm saying.  I mean we as a society have shitcanned "thoughts and prayers" for "pay me motherfucker" and that's the way we like it.

and for the record, I hope your wife and daughter are OK.

Edited by slorch

49 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I just found out yesterday that our adult niece & nephew are coming by on Christmas eve for a pancake brunch & mimosas. That will be fun. But now it's time for me to go pick up the HEB curbside order. Something tells me they'll be busier than most Saturday 7AM slots. 

Better arrange the throw pillows on the couch a certain way or else the wife will be after you again about ruining the Christmas visit. 

• Like 1

1. Glad everyone is ok.
2. Aren’t you a lawyer?
3. If so, this is the most “I can’t believe the leopards ate my face” post on the internet.
4. Glad everyone is ok.
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Better arrange the throw pillows on the couch a certain way or else the wife will be after you again about ruining the Christmas visit. 

Nah. I just have to promise not to let the nephew get too drunk on mimosas because he & his sister are going to their mom's immediately afterwards. Like it's my responsibility to keep a junior in college from drinking too much before visiting his overly high strung mom?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Nah. I just have to promise not to let the nephew get too drunk on mimosas because he & his sister are going to their mom's immediately afterwards. Like it's my responsibility to keep a junior in college from drinking too much before visiting his overly high strung mom?

Exactly why he will be intentionally drinking too much. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Well in that case, give him some Hennessey instead and make sure he's stewed when he goes to his overbearing mother's house 

I’m out running last minute errands while my wife, daughter, and DIL nurse hangovers. We went out to the “Kaiser Brothers Family Christmas” last night at Madison’s, which is a righteous small-town hoe-down.

Had to drag them out of there when my daughter started picking a fight with my wife’s ex-husband. I try to be kind to him because he is a tragic alcoholic character who remarried and had kids with my own ex-wife’s doppelgänger who then proceeded to fuck every guy in town.

Then my cousins ex aunt in law delivered a slurred Ted talk that can only be described as a neo-nazi-GQP recruiting pitch to me and my buddy Jimmy simultaneous to my daughter threatening the wife’s ex with Jewish mafia violence. She is dating her first Jew and the novelty is still fresh.

Reminds me why I’m grateful I don’t hang out in bars anymore.

• Hook 'Em 5

I’m out running last minute errands while my wife, daughter, and DIL nurse hangovers. We went out to the “Kaiser Brothers Family Christmas” last night at Madison’s, which is a righteous small-town hoe-down.

Had to drag them out of there when my daughter started picking a fight with my wife’s ex-husband. I try to be kind to him because he is a tragic alcoholic character who remarried and had kids with my own ex-wife’s doppelgänger who then proceeded to fuck every guy in town.

Then my cousins ex aunt in law delivered a slurred Ted talk that can only be described as a neo-nazi-GQP recruiting pitch to me and my buddy Jimmy simultaneous to my daughter threatening the wife’s ex with Jewish mafia violence. She is dating her first Jew and the novelty is still fresh.

Reminds me why I’m grateful I don’t hang out in bars anymore.

And it reminds me that I need to hang with your family at bars. That sounds positively entertaining.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2