THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GA can’t be rewarded with a loss and they can’t be above Bama. And Bama can’t be above Texas.

If this score holds, the only way GA and/or Bama is above Texas, is if there is an unwritten rule the SEC always gets in.

There isn’t such a rule?  I thought it was actually a written one.  Huh.

Early in this thread I advocated that there was a tiny chance Texas got in over an undefeated FSU.  But as many point out, that was the wrong comparison. Texas would be the 3 seed so they would put Bama in over FSU. That definitely could happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I have zero faith they don’t put Georgia and Alabama both in the CFP if Alabama wins this game. Zero. Zilch. None. 

I was you earlier this week and @Red Five kinda convinced me otherwise over the course of his posts... and recent tweets following our win. I think if Bama wins, they could pull us into the playoffs. If Louisville wins, it won't matter.

5 minutes ago, fellside said:

Does the committee watch the championship games together? I imagine them all rooting against Florida State tonight so they don't have to be the bad guys.

Yes, pretty sure they’re all watching together 

This is how I see it.  There's nothing to talk about if FSU loses.  Assume FSU wins later today.

Pretty sure Dinich said there is

protocol that allows the committee to take into account whether a key player's absence from the team would make the team uncompetitive in the post-season. 

1) If Georgia wins, that protocol is our only hope, imo.  Will the committee invoke that protocol to put Texas in over undefeated FSU?  Maybe.  

2) If Alabama wins, we could get the fourth spot over bama based on head-to-head but we also have a second way in -  The committee could invoke that protocol to kick out FSU and put in the SEC champ + the team that beat the SEC champ.   As Texas fans, we might be comfortable with 1), but TBH 2) seems like an easier sell for the committee and more in line with the talk from all the talking heads.  (it's like a 2-for-1 you get to put in the SEC champ plus a second team (UT) that is clearly better than FSU)

Here's another way to look at it.  Assuming FSU and GA both win, does 1a) make the committee uncomfortable enough to keep undefeated FSU out to go to 1b) to make a space for TX?

1a)      MICH

WASH

FSU 

GA

1b)      MICH

WASH

TEXAS 

GA

OTOH, if Bama wins, they have three options

2a)     MICH 

WASH

FSU

TEX

2b)    MICH

WASH

FSU 

BAMA

2c)     MICH

WASH

BAMA

TEXAS

Assuming FSU wins.  

If GA wins, what's the %age they go from 1a) to 1b)?  I think it's slim. 

If BAMA wins, I think our odds of 2a) + 2c) are better than 1b). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

One thing I'm sure about: if we get in, we can absolutely win the national championship.

My kid and I were just having this discussion. Having watched last night and the games today, none of these teams look any scarier than we do, and maybe not even as scary, really. And I've already seen enough from FSU to know they're overrated.

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

If bama wins, I think knee are in regardless of what FSU does. Bama can’t jump us, Georgia losing late without a conference championship can’t stay ahead of us.

If FSU wins it will be Wash, FSU, UT and Bama

Michigan still exists my guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Early in this thread I advocated that there was a tiny chance Texas got in over an undefeated FSU.  But as many point out, that was the wrong comparison. Texas would be the 3 seed so they would put Bama in over FSU. That definitely could happen. 

Yep, I have been pounding this drum all day. ESPN has been preparing for this moment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, wood said:

My kid and I were just having this discussion. Having watched last night and the games today, none of these teams look any scarier than we do, and maybe not even as scary, really. And I've already seen enough from FSU to know they're overrated.

If it's a deal where we play Washington in the semis, and then Michigan in the finals? Yeah we can win that. 

ask yourself this right now: do you want Georgia to complete the comeback and win?  or do you want Bama to hang on for the win?  gimme Bama hanging on.

because if Georgia wins, then we really need Louisville to beat FSU to feel safe.  an FSU win with a Georgia win makes us iffy.

if Bama wins, then we still have a really good path to the playoff even if FSU wins.  and we'd be a guaranteed lock if FSU also loses.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I have zero faith they don’t put Georgia and Alabama both in the CFP if Alabama wins this game. Zero. Zilch. None. 

The SEC would absolutely fuck us this year, and every year thereafter if it comes down to Alabama and Georgia.

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Nobody would really care that FSU got left out after a couple days of pretend outrage. 

Yeah they would, and even though the ACC will have 31 teams next year and some clout, the flip side is that with 12 teams in the playoffs next year, the CFP committee can shrug their shoulders and say ”won’t happen again”.

Undefeated FSU doesn’t get left out though, unless it’s like a single digit game that goes into multiple overtimes.

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

ask yourself this right now: do you want Georgia to complete the comeback and win?  or do you want Bama to hang on for the win?  gimme Bama hanging on.

because if Georgia wins, then we really need Louisville to beat FSU to feel safe.  an FSU win with a Georgia win makes us iffy.

if Bama wins, then we still have a really good path to the playoff even if FSU wins.  and we'd be a guaranteed lock if FSU also loses.

I don't think there's any benefit for Texas in a Georgia win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]