My Timeline is All F'ed Up

Ghost of LL

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

So what the fuck is going on with us old men that we think 1983 was 20 years ago and 2008 was 40?  Is it a symptom of just being old and nostalgic?  Or is there something deeper about all the shit we've been through over the past 5-10 years?

The harsh reality of my age hits me when I see photographs of the hot young women I used to bang/lust over.  

I recently saw pictures from my 50th high school reunion. I did not go.  There was a short clip of what looked to be a bunch of octogenarian women doing line dances. Those were my classmates. FML.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Gatorubet said:

The harsh reality of my age hits me when I see photographs of the hot young women I used to bang/lust over.  

I recently saw pictures from my 50th high school reunion. I did not go.  There was a short clip of what looked to be a bunch of octogenarian women doing line dances. Those were my classmates. FML.   

damn you old - and that is a glimpse at my upcoming reunion in just a few years.
facebook is not very friendly when old folks reunions are posted

• Hook 'Em 2

And man, the disparity in how they age…

The head cheerleader when I was in 8th grade, super cute, had a crush on her. NOPE. She blew up and aged terribly.

The head cheerleader Sr year of high school, athletic and very pretty. She actually lives near us, we’re friends and bump into each other all the time. She had aged, but quite well. A very nice looking woman of her age, and delightful to boot.

2 gals, the same age…and a fork in the road.

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

There was a cute girl in my graduating class named Pam.  We went out on a few dates, nothing happened.  After high school, she went off her own way and whatnot.

A year or so back, I get a Facebook request from Pam.  She's now single.  Hey!  The face still looks roughly the same...click on her profile, and...yeah.  Pam's a grandmother several times over now.  And the profile photo she put up is at least 15 years old.  She's Pam alright, but not the Pam I remember. If anything, she looks much older than her mom appeared all those years ago.  Pam might be nice to visit with these days, but...yeah.  There's just no way in hell.  

I do get I'm not anything close to what I was 40 years ago.  Wrinkles, extra pounds, lots of gray hair.  But some of us, due to lifestyle choices, bad genes and whatnot....have aged much, much more than others from the same hometown and same graduating class.

• Haha 1

I've always been a car guy. I remember lusting after my friend's 69' Camaro and his Dad's 57' Bel Air two-door hardtop. That would be like me lusting for a 98' Viper or a a 2009' Vette now. Both of those older cars were considered "classics" at the time.

My dad was my age in 2000, with a two year old grandchild that I didn't even have until I was 30. 

I always say life is like a roll of toilet paper, it rolls a lot faster as you get to the end of the roll.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

damn you old - and that is a glimpse at my upcoming reunion in just a few years.
facebook is not very friendly when old folks reunions are posted

isla.thumb.jpeg.3c9179a49393f866517ff1a462c99e6e.jpeg

One does need to focus more carefully on selecting the great-grandmas you choose to date. 

My problem is I want to go to fun vacation spots and drink and party and scuba dive. I find in my age group they think they will all be kidnapped by terrorists, and so don’t want to leave the country, and they are far more happy spending hours wandering around some Christmas store buying stuff for grandkids and watching the masked singer.   

Olds Red State dating sucks!  The pool  of compatible women is very small for an old progressive BLM supporter - at least one old enough to remember President Eisenhower on TV.  

I have not been able to find a dating app for younger women with daddy issues. Hope springs eternal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

isla.thumb.jpeg.3c9179a49393f866517ff1a462c99e6e.jpeg

One does need to focus more carefully on selecting the great-grandmas you choose to date. 

My problem is I want to go to fun vacation spots and drink and party and scuba dive. I find in my age group they think they will all be kidnapped by terrorists, and so don’t want to leave the country, and they are far more happy spending hours wandering around some Christmas store buying stuff for grandkids and watching the masked singer.   

Olds Red State dating sucks!  The pool  of compatible women is very small for an old progressive BLM supporter - at least one old enough to remember President Eisenhower on TV.  

I have not been able to find a dating app for younger women with daddy issues. Hope springs eternal.

Move to a college town. Have a nice ride. be able to pay tuition. Profit. 

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I went to high school (and jr high, and elementary school, and of course obviously college) with @Nicole44 so this really hits home for me.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

There was a cute girl in my graduating class named Pam.  We went out on a few dates, nothing happened.  After high school, she went off her own way and whatnot.

A year or so back, I get a Facebook request from Pam.  She's now single.  Hey!  The face still looks roughly the same...click on her profile, and...yeah.  Pam's a grandmother several times over now.  And the profile photo she put up is at least 15 years old.  She's Pam alright, but not the Pam I remember. If anything, she looks much older than her mom appeared all those years ago.  Pam might be nice to visit with these days, but...yeah.  There's just no way in hell.  

I do get I'm not anything close to what I was 40 years ago.  Wrinkles, extra pounds, lots of gray hair.  But some of us, due to lifestyle choices, bad genes and whatnot....have aged much, much more than others from the same hometown and same graduating class.

Assuming you're single, you owe it to your teenage self to go hit that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

A few of my late-70s highschool alumnae have stayed in good shape. Several have butterballed out. On average, they still look more like Farrah Fawcett wanna-bees than their enormous obese daughters do.

And yes, you will always get kidnapped if you go anywhere. I got killed in Mexico 3 or 4 times. It was unreal.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

. . . and I don't think I'm alone on this.

Talking this weekend with @Brisketexan and @Pescado_Rojo, I made the observation that whenever I hear about something from the '80s, my internal timeline is that "Oh, yeah--that was like 20 years ago."

But then I heard this past weekend that Saturday was the 15th anniversary of the election of Barack Obama.  And my reaction was, "that was only 15 years ago?  It seems like it was closer to 50."

And both Brisket and Fish agreed.

So what the fuck is going on with us old men that we think 1983 was 20 years ago and 2008 was 40?  Is it a symptom of just being old and nostalgic?  Or is there something deeper about all the shit we've been through over the past 5-10 years?

lol, you’re old as hell everyone knows that 1993 was 20 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

In 2004-2007 girls were wearing tight paints and low rise jeans every day. Every single day you got to see thong, like in Superbad.

Now every girl dresses like a shitty Billie Eilish knock off

Not at the Texas Honey Ham in West Lake Hills, my friend.  The Yoga-Pant Mafia remains firmly in control in those parts.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Someday someone is going to create one of more websites that will connect older wealthy men and women seeking older men with money.  That's an arrangement many are seeking...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It trips me the fuck out to think that my dad was my current age in 1991. 

Yep.  This is a good one.  I think back to when I was a kid and my parents were, say, 31 and 30.  (Would have put me at 8 years old.)  Anything that came out of their mouths was completely unquestioned.  Didn't matter the topic, perspective, or context.  It had to be absolutely 100% correct.  I'm older than them now.  I can't believe anyone listens to anything I say.  I have no idea what's going on half the time.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  This is a good one.  I think back to when I was a kid and my parents were, say, 31 and 30.  (Would have put me at 8 years old.)  Anything that came out of their mouths was completely unquestioned.  Didn't matter the topic, perspective, or context.  It had to be absolutely 100% correct.  I'm older than them now.  I can't believe anyone listens to anything I say.  I have no idea what's going on half the time.

This.

Same thing with professions.  Like roughly 75% of this board I'm a lawyer and growing up I assumed lawyers were brilliant people who were never wrong.  Fast forward to law school and I realized it's just a bunch of idiots that couldn't find a decent job upon graduating from undergrad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

First UT class to have email required. Buddy went an entire semester without realizing that is where all his assignments were being sent. And yeah, my Brother Word Processor in 1993 was the shit. I had computers before (Commodore 64 and 128), but never internet until UT. I get on my interns ass all the time. Stop fucking working on your phone. Read the message, mark it unread, then go do your assignment in front of a real screen. 

So probably. got any 8 Tracs lying around? 

I started at UT in Fall 1993. I remember the first day of class Professor says you will need to go get this off the internet. I looked around at everyone else, too embarassed to admit I had no clue what the fuck the internet was.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I basically lost track of pop culture around the early 2000s. Music, movies, news events etc... having a job and being a parent took over and I just didn't pay any attention.

What's odd is that my son was never into pop culture. He was into the same music I liked, or underground/counter-culture stuff, most of which is good to me.

But not my daughter. She's into all this modern poop music, and I'm not fixing that autocorrect. Right now she's all about the latest Spider Man movie soundtrack, and it's just... painful. No, dear, WE ARE LISTENING TO DURAN DURAN NOW, I BOUGHT THIS CAR, THIS STEREO, AND THIS STREAMING SUBSCRIPTION AND IF YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO "METRO BOOMIN" YOU WILL NEED TO BE MUCH MORE POLITE ABOUT IT AND NOT DEMANDING IT LIKE YOU'RE ENTITLED TO IT ARRRRRRRGH

Did she introduce you to that cool new song 'Master of Puppets' in summer of 22?

2 minutes ago, Grande Mart said:

I started at UT in Fall 1993. I remember the first day of class Professor says you will need to go get this off the internet. I looked around at everyone else, too embarassed to admit I had no clue what the fuck the internet was.

Then i quickly found out you could look at nekkid ladies on there

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1