2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

Inside Texas has heard only one name to replace Jeff Choate as Texas linebackers coach. That doesn't mean there aren't more coaches under consideration, or that this coach is a lock for the position, but we do believe Arizona defensive coordinator Johnny Nansen is Steve Sarkisian's first choice to replace Choate. 

Of note: 

- Nansen has worked under Sark at Washington and USC
- Nansen played linebacker in college but has coached multiple positions in his career
- He has been very successful in his short time as a DC at Arizona
- He has a very strong reputation as a recruiter, particularly out West where Texas would love to strength its recruiting grip
- Nansen was born in Samoa and lived in American Samoa before moving to America as a teenager

Potential hurdles? 

- He's currently the DC and play caller at Arizona. Would he take a demotion even if it came with a significant pay raise? He currently makes $750,000 but would surely enter the million dollar club on Texas' staff. There's always the potential Arizona would re-up to a satisfactory level
- What's his best route to becoming a head coach, assuming that's his goal? That could be a pro or con for Texas' chances. Time with Sark to better understand how to navigate the current climate would be seen as a pro 

One thing's for sure, Nansen and Sark are close. Sark elevated Nansen from coaching obscurity when Nansen was at Idaho. Because of his ability to recruit, Sark made sure to find roles for Nansen on his staff.

With Texas going to the SEC and Arizona sentenced to the Big 12, that would be another reason for Nansen to seriously consider the move.

We'll have much more on this if circumstances warrant. Our info points to Nansen being the top candidate on the board to replace Jeff Choate.

One potential reason for Nansen to turn us down - Jed Fisch is going to be on the short list for Florida if Napier crashes and burns as expected next season. Nansen could get a raise from Arizona and play the long game on the hopes of being an SEC DC in 2025. 

Just now, Duane Moore said:

One potential reason for Nansen to turn us down - Jed Fisch is going to be on the short list for Florida if Napier crashes and burns as expected next season. Nansen could get a raise from Arizona and play the long game on the hopes of being an SEC DC in 2025. 

Or he can go to Texas, get a fat bag and be Co-DC and still follow Fisch to Florida if he chooses if that situation ends up materializing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Or he can go to Texas, get a fat bag and be Co-DC and still follow Fisch to Florida if he chooses if that situation ends up materializing. 

Unless his leaving Arizona so compromises their defense that they have a bad season and Fisch falls off the Florida short list. 

IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.d492a5dedb46d5bb2b4560f884b2ded2.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Unless his leaving Arizona so compromises their defense that they have a bad season and Fisch falls off the Florida short list. 

IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.d492a5dedb46d5bb2b4560f884b2ded2.jpeg

Which means we don’t have to worry about Nansen getting the Florida DC job and so far his career doesn’t have the future HC trajectory so we have him 3 years minimum. Ez!

Just watched Kyle Floods N'awlins presser. He's very well spoken and carries himself like a head corch. Is there any program shitcanning their HC that would be interested? I'd like to keep him, he's recruited very well and for the first time in what seems like forever the O-line isnt an Achilles heel.

I know losing coaches is a good thing because that means you're having success, but I think continuity among the staff played a big role in how this season turned out as well. Hope Choate is the only loss but something tells me he won't be.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Just watched Kyle Floods N'awlins presser. He's very well spoken and carries himself like a head corch. Is there any program shitcanning their HC that would be interested? I'd like to keep him, he's recruited very well and for the first time in what seems like forever the O-line isnt an Achilles heel.

I know losing coaches is a good thing because that means you're having success, but I think continuity among the staff played a big role in how this season turned out as well. Hope Choate is the only loss but something tells me he won't be.

Flood had one of the biggest head coaching disasters ever at Rutgers. He would have to drop down to the G5 level for a head coaching position and work his way up again which he more than likely could have done by now if he wanted to.

Flood had one of the biggest head coaching disasters ever at Rutgers. He would have to drop down to the G5 level for a head coaching position and work his way up again which he more than likely could have done by now if he wanted to.
Bigger than our very own head coach now? Success as a position coach/coordinator can make AD's overlook things like that..especially lower level programs (not necessarily G5) who don't exactly have their pick of any coach they want.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Bigger than our very own head coach now? Success as a position coach/coordinator can make AD's overlook things like that..especially lower level programs (not necessarily G5) who don't exactly have their pick of any coach they want.

Flood failed in every metric as a head coach.  On the field, he took a Greg schiano loaded bowl team and in three years finished with a 1-7 big 10 record.  Off the field in 2015, while his players were being arrested for assault, he was arguing with the academic administration trying to keep one of such players eligible.

The head coaching histories are not comparable.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

100% bullshit, Nahlin just googled former Sark assistants found the biggest name and ran with it. Nansen is the DC at a power 4 school that is currently one of the hottest teams in the country. He is absolutely not going to take a demotion for a pay raise, that’s a step back in his career.

This maybe 100% correct, but I think we need to stop saying the P5  P4. The Big 10 killed the Pac. SEC took all the Blue Bloods from the Big 12. ACC undefeated champion got neutered on ESPN during the selection show. It is the P2. Big 12 and ACC are now somewhere in the middle of the P2 and G5, clutching at any relevancy they can hold on to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Derrick Johnson might be cute pick that I’ve heard a few spots but there’s no way that’s serious right?

Give him an honorary title and let him bring lambo/ferraris cars practice so the younguns can take pictures next to DJ with cut off sleeves aka Huff a couple years ago.

10 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Derrick Johnson might be cute pick that I’ve heard a few spots but there’s no way that’s serious right?

Give him an honorary title and let him bring lambo/ferraris cars practice so the younguns can take pictures next to DJ with cut off sleeves aka Huff a couple years ago.

I think DJ would be a good fit in that analyst role. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The other that Chip said he heard as well and Nahlin mentioned was the Utah LB coach, right?

Over a week ago, heard Bobby Burton mention the LB coach at utah might be a candidate... but wasn't relayed with strong confidence.

Hell, Sark might be sending out 2 or 3 rumors just to throw off $9.95ers like FCB...  😁

Flood failed in every metric as a head coach.  On the field, he took a Greg schiano loaded bowl team and in three years finished with a 1-7 big 10 record.  Off the field in 2015, while his players were being arrested for assault, he was arguing with the academic administration trying to keep one of such players eligible.
I admit to hearing about his short tenure as HC when he was hired, not the particulars. His O-line recruiting here has been stellar so far so this makes me feel better about keeping him. He already has "offensive coordinator" as part of his title so the only thing that could realistically lure him away is a HC job...assuming he doesn't want to actually be OC.

4 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I know we have 48 different aggy threads, but I don’t really go in any of them, but I just saw Trooper Taylor listed on the official website as the brand new RB coach. Bag dropping in CS is alive and well, Trooper is as dirty as anyone.

$75M to Jimbo has to put a big ass hole in that bag. It don't make shit anyway. They overpaid for a coach, overpaid for a few recruiting classes, it all went to shit anyway, just like the last 80 or so years. They are perpetual losers.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

I admit to hearing about his short tenure as HC when he was hired, not the particulars. His O-line recruiting here has been stellar so far so this makes me feel better about keeping him. He already has "offensive coordinator" as part of his title so the only thing that could realistically lure him away is a HC job...assuming he doesn't want to actually be OC.

You never know about what drives someone. imo, he basically has a golden ticket at Texas as long as Sarkisian wins and the OL produces… and he has that with fairly circumscribed responsibilities that he appears to be excellent at carrying out. 

Does he want a higher risk, potentially higher reward OC or HC position when he, at best, hasn’t demonstrated the same aptitude as he has in his current position?

A risk-averse person might be tempted to keep cashing those fat checks and have as close to carte blanche in selecting his players as anyplace in the country, while getting, at least, the very possible “rising tide lifts all boats” salary bumps that come with kicking ass. 

A less risk-averse person might want different challenges. 

I don’t write the checks, but he’d be one of three guys after Sarkisian who would not be allowed to leave because of money. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

100% bullshit, Nahlin just googled former Sark assistants found the biggest name and ran with it. Nansen is the DC at a power 4 school that is currently one of the hottest teams in the country. He is absolutely not going to take a demotion for a pay raise, that’s a step back in his career.

There is no power four. There’s a power 2

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, horny_gunman said:

I totally agree that Nansen is a witch recruiter - and would be so at Texas.  The fact that IT is the first to mention this gives me some pause on its actual veracity

Well, it's either Nansen, or Naah!-nsen ... so just more of Nahlin's Nansense.

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

Inside Texas has heard only one name to replace Jeff Choate as Texas linebackers coach. That doesn't mean there aren't more coaches under consideration, or that this coach is a lock for the position, but we do believe Arizona defensive coordinator Johnny Nansen is Steve Sarkisian's first choice to replace Choate. 

Of note: 

- Nansen has worked under Sark at Washington and USC
- Nansen played linebacker in college but has coached multiple positions in his career
- He has been very successful in his short time as a DC at Arizona
- He has a very strong reputation as a recruiter, particularly out West where Texas would love to strength its recruiting grip
- Nansen was born in Samoa and lived in American Samoa before moving to America as a teenager

Potential hurdles? 

- He's currently the DC and play caller at Arizona. Would he take a demotion even if it came with a significant pay raise? He currently makes $750,000 but would surely enter the million dollar club on Texas' staff. There's always the potential Arizona would re-up to a satisfactory level
- What's his best route to becoming a head coach, assuming that's his goal? That could be a pro or con for Texas' chances. Time with Sark to better understand how to navigate the current climate would be seen as a pro 

One thing's for sure, Nansen and Sark are close. Sark elevated Nansen from coaching obscurity when Nansen was at Idaho. Because of his ability to recruit, Sark made sure to find roles for Nansen on his staff.

With Texas going to the SEC and Arizona sentenced to the Big 12, that would be another reason for Nansen to seriously consider the move.

We'll have much more on this if circumstances warrant. Our info points to Nansen being the top candidate on the board to replace Jeff Choate.

What in the actual fucking fuck is taking you fuckers so long to post…

IMG_1452.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, horny_gunman said:

I thought @closetojumping (or someone else- sorry if misappropriated) had mentioned that Nansen was Sark’s (heavy) drinking buddy back in the day.  It’s interesting that Sark has seemingly never gone to his previous list of assistant coaches even when they’ve been widely available.  It almost seemed like he purposely avoided them.   Just my thoughts on this 

Not me. Never heard anything like that. 

20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The other that Chip said he heard as well and Nahlin mentioned was the Utah LB coach, right?

Let’s be really fucking clear here, and I said it at the time it first came up, Nahlin made that up. He just straight up manufactured that one without any thought, hoping to get lucky and sound prophetic if the guy became a candidate. That guy is a mormon in a mormon state entrenched with a life long friend, enjoying success. He was never a candidate. 

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Over a week ago, heard Bobby Burton mention the LB coach at utah might be a candidate... but wasn't relayed with strong confidence.

Hell, Sark might be sending out 2 or 3 rumors just to throw off $9.95ers like FCB...  😁

It’s a position coach hiring. Get a fucking grip with the absurd and paranoid nonsense, Spambi. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This program is headed in the right direction outside of 1 area and it's the secondary. 

We definitely have a talent deficiency at safety and to a degree at corner but think there needs to be some changes with the coaching staff. Joseph and Gideon were always the most questionable hires from the get go. 

When you have coaches of the caliber of Flood, Davis, Choice, Banks, and Choate you need to go find assistants in the secondary of the same level. The reality is Joseph and Gideon aren't top tier assistants like that group. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

When was the last time we had a well coached secondary? I don’t think I’ve seen a DB turn around in 10 years

Coaching hasn't been good but it's also a talent problem. 

In the last 4 years, we will probably only have 1 draft pick at DB. That was a 5th rounder (Sterns) who was always injured but talented. I think talent evaluation is the bigger problem. We haven't been finding NFL caliber talent at DB. 

Our last decent secondary I can remember was with Boyd, Holton Hill, Brandon Jones, etc. All guys who have played in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

When was the last time we had a well coached secondary? I don’t think I’ve seen a DB turn around in 10 years

They are busy just trying to stay close to the receivers.  It's mainly a talent problem right now.

Yeah, when someone is throwing perfect darts 30 or 40 yards down the field, there's nothing you can do.  There are no magic defensive calls that would have stopped that.  It's a 6th year 1st round qb behind a good line throwing to multiple NFL receivers.  They would have done the same thing to just about every other team last night.  Michigan may be good enough defensively to make him uncomfortable and they are going to running all over the Washington defense.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I'm no expert but I don't think the secondary played that badly. Penix and those guys just played really well, and we didn't get pressure all night. 

I think there was only 3 plays it really played poorly. 

the long 77 yard pass

the Brooks pi

the touchdown that split the safeties

On 12/29/2023 at 8:51 AM, Not a Sock said:

the question is if he wants to stay around a school with a $240m budget shortfall and when every shark in the country is getting ready to try and poach their staff.

not disagreeing with you but there is a very real chance that JF leaves in the next 12 months for another job, or that Nansen gets some of his lieutenants on the defensive side poached.

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Coaching hasn't been good but it's also a talent problem. 

In the last 4 years, we will probably only have 1 draft pick at DB. That was a 5th rounder (Sterns) who was always injured but talented. I think talent evaluation is the bigger problem. We haven't been finding NFL caliber talent at DB. 

Our last decent secondary I can remember was with Boyd, Holton Hill, Brandon Jones, etc. All guys who have played in the NFL. 

Bingo.  No disrespect becasie he’s a good player but taffe and Thompson and Crawford are just not nfl dbs.  Against nfl qb and nfl wrs it ain’t gonna cut it.  Washington probably could have thrown for 600 if they had tried to