2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

50 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Orgeron seemed ridiculous, but Bobby keeps bringing him up. Hard to know if he is the same level of coach that he was a decade ago when he was coaching DL, but if he is, he is an upgrade. He was an absolute witch on the recruiting trail, which nobody can explain. He was a great developer. 

But would Ogre really want a DL position? Or even a DC position if PK leaves at some point?

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean absolutely Orgeron should be the 1st call.

1) History with Sarkisian

2) Recruiting, especially in Louisiana

3) Good coach

4) Ultimate fuck you to LSU

5) Joy it will bring to this board.

I understand the connections and past with Sark and Coach O, but...I'm just seeing an out of control, shirtless Coach O roaming 6th street and Zilker park looking for a good time. 

I understand the connections and past with Sark and Coach O, but...I'm just seeing an out of control, shirtless Coach O roaming 6th street and Zilker park looking for a good time. 

Maybe we could direct him to Steiner Ranch Steakhouse instead?

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Norvell to Michigan

This is an interesting post. It's a post that is framed in the typical style of someone reporting actual news, or something breaking currently. But in this instance, you've just pasted a few words with no context whatsoever, no background, and hard to interpret considering Jim Harbaugh is still the coach at Michigan and Norvell is interviewing with 'Bama.

So are you calling your shot here, or what?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

But would Ogre really want a DL position? Or even a DC position if PK leaves at some point?

Dude doesn't need HC or DC money and probably doesn't want that kind of responsibility. Anything he makes now is gravy that extends his nest egg.

I think he would have a lot of fun coaching at Texas.

12 minutes ago, DToro said:

So basically what most of us here wish we were doing?

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Man, this is an interesting time for Bama to make a coaching hire. Their NIL is behind but it hasn't hurt them as much in recruiting yet because Saban can just point to how they develop and get guys to the NFL. That's a real sales pitch - you aren't going to make much cash in school, but look at what's waiting for you if you come here and put in the work. I'm not sure how you sell that with any of the prospective hires.

LSU was able to maintain what Saban built and two retards were able to ride it to championships. But that was pre-portal and pre-NIL. Bama is at a precarious place.

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Dude doesn't need HC or DC money and probably doesn't want that kind of responsibility. Anything he makes now is gravy that extends his nest egg.

I think he would have a lot of fun coaching at Texas.

Also, if he wants to be a HC again, he doesn’t need to be a coordinator. No one is looking for tactical acumen with him. They want his personality to recruit and motivate. 

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is why Norvell's odds for the bama job suddenly spiked

1% of the football budget? What kind of horseshit is that? If I was FSU, I would tell them to get fucked on any sort of monetary penalties and just accept the bullshit other penalties that they can easily skirt. The NCAA should have no jurisdiction on something an NIL collective does or does not do that is not formally affiliated with the school. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

1% of the football budget? What kind of horseshit is that? If I was FSU, I would tell them to get fucked on any sort of monetary penalties and just accept the bullshit other penalties that they can easily skirt. The NCAA should have no jurisdiction on something an NIL collective does or does not do that is not formally affiliated with the school. 

You miss the part where all institutions in the NCAA have basically ceded the right for the NCAA to police them, they can't sue the NCAA for enforcement.  It's not that the NCAA doesn't have power over the schools, its that for the past 2 decades they basically haven't done anything to show it.

By your logic the NCAA would have no authority over some random booster flat out paying players to go to school.  Also, based off what has come out, the coach who is suspended for 3 games and has a show cause on him now at the very least knew about the illegal payments and may very well have been involved in the process.

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

These are negotiated penalties.  FSU agreed to them already.

If the Coach O smoke is real, you can probably count on FCB or the chuckle fuck trolls at the AAS eventually dredging up the political/racial stuff from a few years ago - mentioned in the Athletic article satya posted a page or two back.

• Rage+1 2

IT

According to sources, Texas is expected to bring in a new coach this weekend, likely in an off the field/analyst role that could be extremely beneficial to Steve Sarkisian and the program.

Once the news begins to leak, we’ll keep you posted on the latest. Stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

According to sources, Texas is expected to bring in a new coach this weekend, likely in an off the field/analyst role that could be extremely beneficial to Steve Sarkisian and the program.

Once the news begins to leak, we’ll keep you posted on the latest. Stay tuned.

Has to be Akina.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Bruce Feldman: Texas, coach Steve Sarkisian close to finalizing extension amid Alabama interest

Texas and coach Steve Sarkisian are close to finalizing a contract extension that will keep him at the school and give him a raise, two sources briefed on the negotiations told The Athletic. Sarkisian, a former Alabama assistant under Nick Saban, was a candidate of interest to the Crimson Tide given his recent success and ties to the school.

Sarkisian, 49, served as the offensive coordinator for Saban and Alabama’s most recent national title in 2020 before taking over at Texas in 2021. This year, Sarkisian led the Longhorns to their first conference championship since 2009, a 12-2 record and a berth in the College Football Playoff. Texas posted a hype video on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Friday morning tagging Sarkisian with the caption “Just getting started.”

Sarkisian was seen on the recruiting trail Friday morning. Jake Griedl, head coach at Bastrop (Texas) High School just outside of Austin, Texas, posted a photo of him and Sarkisian together. Sarkisian’s initial Texas contract was a six-year deal scheduled to run through the 2026 season. He was paid a base salary of $5.6 million in 2023. Sarkisian was likely to get an extension and raise regardless of the Alabama situation because of the success the Longhorns achieved in 2023. The program is on its best trajectory in more than a decade, and given the consistent high-level recruiting, Texas is well-positioned for future success as it enters the SEC in 2024.

Keeping Sarkisian in the fold provides stability, something Texas lacked in the post-Mack Brown era until the Longhorns hired Sarkisian. School leadership and Sarkisian are well aligned and the program has a solid foundation and bright future under his leadership. It just made sense for Texas to get this done. In three years at Texas, Sarkisian is 25-14. After a 5-7 debut season in 2021, the Longhorns made significant jumps in the win column in 2022 (8-5) and 2023. They have also signed three consecutive top-five recruiting classes.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

If the Coach O smoke is real, you can probably count on FCB or the chuckle fuck trolls at the AAS eventually dredging up the political/racial stuff from a few years ago - mentioned in the Athletic article satya posted a page or two back.

Let’s all get pre-raged about the hypothetical transgression. 

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is an interesting post. It's a post that is framed in the typical style of someone reporting actual news, or something breaking currently. But in this instance, you've just pasted a few words with no context whatsoever, no background, and hard to interpret considering Jim Harbaugh is still the coach at Michigan and Norvell is interviewing with 'Bama.

So are you calling your shot here, or what?

Maybe it's for a vacation?  I hear the UP is lovely, though the timing would be dubious right now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

The players may want them, but Texas has not had a good history with former players starting with David McWilliams. Giles is the only decent one I can think of. Major was average at best. With all the criticism of Gideon it seems odd. And neither Okam or Wright have a huge history of success at teaching and motivating.

Just automatically assuming Giles is a good coach while being skeptical of guys like Wright and Okam because they don’t have a 30 year history of never getting promoted past DL coach, like Giles, is a fascinating way to look at coaches.

I bet you’re a big fan of this guy’s podcast 

IMG_4720.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I forgot about that!

Also he mentioned Okam and Wright but I feel like that's being pushed more from former player side.

I'd definitely bring either or both in for an interview to help them out, but I don't think I'd consider them unless Sark strikes out on his first choices.

Damn, this is why you need to have the hire lined up when you are a bigtime program. Not that this was the case here because apparently Saban woke up on Tuesday and fuck it, I'm done.

Oregon, Texas, and Florida State have all taken shits on your opening by tweeting out we already have a better job now.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

So DeBoer it is. Would assume Norvell was the next in line if it came to that. 

I get why you think that, but I think it's more "Kalen DeBoer has a chance to do the funniest thing" 

Because if Bama whiffs on DeBoer we're in the Tommy Rees/Dabo zone and that is our best case scenario. Turns out the Bama job isn't the #1 job in the world when you follow Nick Saban. 

Just now, Teryor said:

I get why you think that, but I think it's more "Kalen DeBoer has a chance to do the funniest thing" 

Because if Bama whiffs on DeBoer we're in the Tommy Rees/Dabo zone and that is our best case scenario. Turns out the Bama job isn't the #1 job in the world when you follow Nick Saban. 

Don't forget Mike Locksley

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

If DeBoer stays at Washington, it's almost to the point where you hire Tommy Rees to a 4 year $16 million contract with a low buyout. Assuming he sucks, you fire him after a year or two, which provides the cover needed for a HC to want the Bama job. 

• Hook 'Em 1