Surly Horns State of Things End 2023

immamac

You just accidentally, but perfectly, described the presidential primary season.  Well played, sir.  

Also Imma---would a "sponsored by" podcast edition be worthwhile?  Obviously it's a loaded episode if the person is paying-to-play.  But there could be a way to get posters on there to discuss UT, football, etc., whatever they know best.  And then just work in shameless plugs at the top, middle, and end of the episode, no?  I don't listen to many but I would think the known quantity of the hosts/guests and their knowledge and humor and insight would far outweigh any awkwardness a couple of promos might do.  

On 12/23/2023 at 8:15 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Can confirm this on the professional front. It is unreal how much gotdam time I spend refereeing interpersonal conflicts among my younger staff that cannot have a discussion and work things out. Any sort of disagreement or guidance is treated as a personal affront.  

"You didn't give me feedback in a private, professional manner.  You're attacking me!!!"

Go fucking work somewhere else, motherfucker.  Your feelings aren't worth the fucking trouble if you don't want to improve.

4 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

No.  It serves its purpose as a quarantine.  

As long as it remains quarantined... some posters sow their oats there and then spread that demon seed elsewhere. It also makes this board look bad to newcomers... they go in there thinking they'll learn/debate something only to have bleach thrown in their eyes and their teeth knocked out by a concrete dildo forced down their throat.

Edited by ChickenNuggets

Any interest in saddling up with some of the independent podcasters out there that focus on Texas sports? Either invite them to an AMA presented by Surly or something?

Do we have someone (Immamac) who can speak for the fanbase by going on these podcasts? Just thinking of additional areas for exposure. Can we represent ourselves as a gauge for the Texas fanbase? 

57 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

As long as it remains quarantined... some posters sow their oats there and then spread that demon seed elsewhere. It also makes this board look bad to newcomers... they go in there thinking they'll learn/debate something only to have bleach thrown in their eyes and their teeth knocked out by a concrete dildo forced down their throat.

I just put them on ignore.  Any of those cloak room lunatics.  It would be nice if you could have a feature where posts quoting people you were ignored could also be ignored.  

but if you stay out of cloak room and put all of the clearly mentally ill cloak room types on ignore (not talking about ygifs, brisket or twice), the cloak room won’t be noticed at all, even when it spills into other forums.  

10 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

I disagree that 18-22 year olds don't read message boards anymore. My kids are on Reddit more than anything else. We just need to raise awareness that we are here.

Reddit isn't a message board. It's basically a user fed aggregator with comments.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

That’s describing a politics board on every message board lol (except on TexAgs where they call you the n word, then knock your teeth out with the dildo)

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:16 PM, Pancho said:

And I think it needs to be thought about that maybe younger folks just aren’t into college message boards, especially with the progression of social media outlets. I just don’t think creating social media platforms for Surly is going to drive people to this board. If anything it will just drive up the number of followers on that account meaning more content on those accounts will need to be generated. It’s highly possible the “message board generation” of the late 90s, 2000s, and 2010s is just for that generation? Just a quick glance at message boards for random colleges across the country, and Jesus some of those threads haven’t seen new posts in a long time. A few forums have threads on the first page of the football board from August. 

Eh, maybe. It’s anecdotal but I found Surly through social media and I know a few others have as well. I was regularly going through Twitter and Reddit for my Texas fix until I kept seeing memes on Twitter that originated from Surly. Eventually I decided to check this place out and found that it was waaaaaay better than social media. The overall quality of discussion is just something you’re not going to get at the other places. I think if you create the right content then there could be a bridge made to this site. 

14 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Have someone interview players and some coaches or assistants (if permitted) or just record some behind-the-scene footage and post them on social media. That should generate a lot interest.

Something as simple as doing more with the Burnt End TE’s through social media would be cool. I like that podcast interviews but I think we could do more to attract a wider audience. I’ve seen it have mentioned getting interns to run some of the social media stuff which could work. Interviews mixed with activity’s are big on tik tok. All age fans would like watching our TE group do a round of golf (or putt putt if it’s more accessible) and have them be interviewed on various topics outside of just football. Let fans see more of their personalities and get to know them better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Mother of god. Please don’t let random posters do the podcast. I have enough mini-strokes with RGBIII and Imma, and they have a very clear understanding of what not to say. The shit some of y’all spout on here - based on a complete misinterpretation of what those of us that actually know what we’re talking about - would have me curled up in a corner mumbling cheese puns. 

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:06 PM, Levi said:

Eh, maybe. It’s anecdotal but I found Surly through social media and I know a few others have as well. I was regularly going through Twitter and Reddit for my Texas fix until I kept seeing memes on Twitter that originated from Surly. Eventually I decided to check this place out and found that it was waaaaaay better than social media. The overall quality of discussion is just something you’re not going to get at the other places. I think if you create the right content then there could be a bridge made to this site. 

So you are a big fan of the IPIHB forum?

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

You can't Nuke Cloak Room.  If you did, the cesspool of hate that centralizes there would slowly creep into other boards and threads (way more than it does now).  At least with CR, the people in charge can disinfect every other thread and board or at least try.

• Hook 'Em 5

Three hours from the biggest kickoff in the last 14 years from this program and you cunts can't stop finding shit to whine about.  No wonder you follow who you follow.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/30/2023 at 8:01 PM, thunderlounge said:

Then you've come to the right place. As long as your mental illness is not a fornicating one. 

so far the only fornication I'm aware of that is not in the "I'll allow it" category is sex with a horse or a man getting pegged by a woman. So I think you ought to be more specific.

• immamac unpinned this topic