2023 Orange Bowl - Florida State vs. Georgia

satyanash

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Can everyone who cried about FSU getting left out please apologize and then shut up forever 

Half their defense including their entire defensive front opted out or portaled, and their defense is what beat Florida and Louisville. This was never going to be a game. 

Honestly the bowl system needs to die after this year. These games are jokes with all the portal players and NFL draft opt outs. Just needs to be the conference title games straight to the 12 team playoff after a bye week. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Half their defense including their entire defensive front opted out or portaled, and their defense is what beat Florida and Louisville. This was never going to be a game. 

Honestly the bowl system needs to die after this year. These games are jokes with all the portal players and NFL draft opt outs. Just needs to be the conference title games straight to the 12 team playoff after a bye week. 

No, because its not really about the bowl games but about the extra practices the team gets along with bringing along the younger guys. Thats why every non playoff bowl matter now. Think of it as preseason for the following year.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, UTGrad98 said:

No, because its not really about the bowl games but about the extra practices the team gets along with bringing along the younger guys. Thats why every non playoff bowl matter now. Think of it as preseason for the following year.

I'd actually argue the NCAA rule on practices is now more or less irrelevant.  If you want to let teams practice in December, bowl or not, do it.  These are now more or less scrimmages outside the playoff games.  

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It wouldn’t have been a game if all those kids played. They just might’ve lost by 25+ instead of 50+

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

And, more importantly, less chance for aggie misery.

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Louisville’s QB couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and Florida is not a good team at all.  This FSU team is undefeated but against who?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TOR said:

If their argument to be in the CFP was 'missing players don't matter' then missing players don't matter in this game, either.  Own it, fake indians.

Great point.  As long as you’re undefeated - shouldn’t matter who suits up, right?

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I don't understand the opting out logic. These players have played 25-40 games and one more game is going to be the one that causes injuries? Did Travis get injured in a bowl game? The probability of getting injured is likely higher in the conference championship and other big season games rather than the bowl game where the coaches are looking for getting playing time for next year's guys. If I were the NFL guy, I would give plus points for playing in a bowl game and not chickening out due to a small possibility of an injury.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This new era of college football has been terrible for the bowl games.

ESPN is going to be working on rule changes.

The extra playoff games might help.  It would also help to move the portal window out, but that doesn't work for spring semester enrollees.   You could pay pro prospects to play, but the incremental viewership per player probably doesn't make it cost effective.   The horse is out of the barn and I don't see it being put back in.  Most are fucked as far as representing a matchup from the teams that existed during the regular season  

2 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

I don't understand the opting out logic. These players have played 25-40 games and one more game is going to be the one that causes injuries? Did Travis get injured in a bowl game? The probability of getting injured is likely higher in the conference championship and other big season games rather than the bowl game where the coaches are looking for getting playing time for next year's guys. If I were the NFL guy, I would give plus points for playing in a bowl game and not chickening out due to a small possibility of an injury.

Jaylon Smith says hello.

• Hook 'Em 1