2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What’s game over in this context? Everyone died?

Bodies in the fallen over trees?

Here is the sustained winds speeds during Ike. I am not dismissing what occurred yesterday and have genuine empathy for all those impacted. But a hurricane causes that kind of destruction on a much much larger scale. Maybe your neighborhood is worse after this storm than after Ike, but Ike impacted an entire region. Large parts of SE Texas were without power for up to 4 or 5 weeks. Gunspoint just can’t help his hyperbolic self.

IMG_1703.png

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Here is the sustained winds speeds during Ike. I am not dismissing what occurred yesterday and have genuine empathy for all those impacted. But a hurricane causes that kind of destruction on a much much larger scale. Maybe your neighborhood is worse after this storm than after Ike, but Ike impacted an entire region. Large parts of SE Texas were without power for up to 4 or 5 weeks. Gunspoint just can’t help his hyperbolic self.

Im assuming u dont live in Houston and/or inside the loop?

• Hook 'Em 1

Both are correct. But I saw that level of damage all over The Woodlands and all over the areas from Beltway 8/290 area to the IAH area. I’m absolutely not trying to dismiss the impacts on The Heights as it is devastating, but that level of destruction was apparent all over SE Texas after Ike and not limited to a few neighborhoods inside the loop. 

Travis Herzog, ABC13

IT'S OFFICIAL: A tornado touched down in Cypress (details still to come), and we had category 2 hurricane-force straight-line winds in downtown Houston. Brian Murray from the Harris County Office of Emergency Management says it is the worst wind damage seen since Hurricane Alicia, even surpassing the damage from Hurricane Ike.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 minutes ago, swraith said:

Any reports on how Gessner area just north of I10 fared?

That's my neck of the woods, there were a bunch of businesses and buildings that were completely ruined with the roof pulled off. My FIL's office is near there on the other side of BW8 and his office had their giant steel rolling doors pushed in, and the resulting low pressure spike in the building gutted the drop ceiling and HVAC system

IMG_20240517_150527.jpg

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Was that from the storm that spawned the Cedar Park and Jarrell tornados? I was working at the Custom Sounds store that used to be on S. Congress and Academy when that storm hit. The straight line winds came right down Congress. Our storefront had two 4'x8' windows on the Academy side of the corner that had an aluminum strip between them that blew out and drove rain into the store like it had been shot out of a high pressure hose. Still can't believe the windows didn't break. There were limbs down and trees uprooted all over the place after that one. 

The Jarrell tornado started in Hewitt/Robinson/Lorena and went SSW along I35 for almost 90 miles.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

It was definitely as bad as a hurricane, for about 15 minutes.   Of course when a hurricane hits you have days to prepare this fucker we knew about like 10 minutes ahead of time. 

I blame PHD for not sending out a forecast. And yeah, you had more than 10 minutes. but what are you going to do?

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

As of 2 hours ago, this was showing 684K people without power in Houston. As of latest update 15 minutes ago, down to 651K. 

https://poweroutage.us/area/county/1394

I imagine a lot of people will get power back at some point today, but for several hundred thousand in the hardest hit areas, who the hell knows?

605K as of 10 minutes ago. Slow and steady progress.

31 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I blame PHD for not sending out a forecast. And yeah, you had more than 10 minutes. but what are you going to do?

I didn’t. I was at my son’s soccer practice at the Y in oak Forest. When the tornado warning went off on my phone, we left, skies were gray and no rain. The warning said the tornado was somewhere between cypress and Katy. No big deal, right? It’s 2 miles away and 10 minutes with lights from the Y to my house. By the time we were at the stop light at Ella and 34th it was darker. By the time I was at 610 and Ella it was pitch black. By the time I was at Ella and 18th street, lights were blowing out in the buildings around me as I was driving, and as I was turning onto my street in Timbergrove trees were already coming down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes we had a warning it was going to rain and maybe storm, so normal no big deal kinda thing.  Then boom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

It was definitely as bad as a hurricane, for about 15 minutes.   Of course when a hurricane hits you have days to prepare this fucker we knew about like 10 minutes ahead of time. 

It's nuts, I was walking my dog at 530 and it was sunny and nice but a little humid and then fast forward an hour and it was the fucking end of the world

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The fun part is I’m not about 60% sure I know where @deadshank lives. Congrats indeed. 

I’m a  regular jabrone like you humps.   Not my house.    I just work on nice houses.   I’d never have a big giant house.   Too much crap to tend.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

IMG_1703.png

Guess what? That map doesn't show? 120 mph winds.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, sustained winds of 80 mph for 1 minute probably doesn't make the point he wants to make here. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, texasdago said:

It shows sustained winds. Over a few hours. It does not show the 100+ wind gusts that were measured. There were over 120 mph wind gusts in The Woodlands which is 80 miles away from landfall.

But you know what? It’s a stupid fight to pick. Hope everyone gets their power on soon and lives back in order. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I didn’t. I was at my son’s soccer practice at the Y in oak Forest. When the tornado warning went off on my phone, we left, skies were gray and no rain. The warning said the tornado was somewhere between cypress and Katy. No big deal, right? It’s 2 miles away and 10 minutes with lights from the Y to my house. By the time we were at the stop light at Ella and 34th it was darker. By the time I was at 610 and Ella it was pitch black. By the time I was at Ella and 18th street, lights were blowing out in the buildings around me as I was driving, and as I was turning onto my street in Timbergrove trees were already coming down. 

Amanda Peet GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its coming down in sheets at Studemont/White oak, but maybe not even raining in Timbergrove?

It came down in sheets for about 15 minutes and then moved into your neighborhood…where it’s going to move on. Basically the same as yesterday amirite!?!! 

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

That's plenty of time to rub one out. Maybe even get a nap in after.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Captainant said:

Good lord what a horror show walking the dog this morning - a bunch of framed houses in the under construction neighborhoods near me are no longer multi-story. Like someone dumped out a box of matchsticks

Will upload some pics when data gets better

20240517_075633.thumb.jpg.5728208b97c03cc781ab08927fd7c179.jpg

They shoulda framed the houses with port-a-potties and wouldn’t have had any issues

Edited by tx ind
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sipping the rest of my glenlevit, serenaded by the sounds of generators in OF/GO and the aroma of UTPHIL2006.

we went to Alma for dinner because Roy and the team were open and working on a limited basis. We're still out of power so figured why not, my youngest went to Sugar Land with the in laws, Chuy Lewis is still here since we have a DH tomorrow in Tomball. 

Shining moment: my man cave has a wall unit with a 65 in TV with a Wii (of all things hooked up to it),  we took that off the TV, introduced him to what DVD player is and watched Game 5 of the 2017 WS on DVD. He's seen the highlights of that game on youtube but never from start to finish. That was cool. 

We won. #HTownPride 

• Hook 'Em 3