I did not know this - Nixon’s 1969 #1 presentation plaque.

Armybrat

Didn't Pedo U have an opportunity to play Texas in the Cotton Bowl that season, but opted to play Kansas in the Orange Bowl? I believe I have that right, we beat Navy and Staubach. 

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Didn't Pedo U have an opportunity to play Texas in the Cotton Bowl that season, but opted to play Kansas in the Orange Bowl? I believe I have that right, we beat Navy and Staubach. 

Texas beat Notre Dame (with Joe Theismann at QB) in the 1970 Cotton Bowl. We defeated Staubach & Navy in the 1964 Cotton Bowl.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Freddie Steinmark can’t understand why Penn State did not want to settle #1 in the Cotton Bowl. Freddie says, “We could never figure out why they didn’t choose to settle it on the grass in Dallas, rather than from a soapbox in Pennsylvania.

Speaking of Freddie Steinmark, is there still a marker honoring him in the stadium since the south scoreboard was removed?  If not, that would be a damn shame.  Never will forget him on crutches at the Cotton Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 3

Speaking of Freddie Steinmark, is there still a marker honoring him in the stadium since the south scoreboard was removed?  If not, that would be a damn shame.  Never will forget him on crutches at the Cotton Bowl.

Yes you can see it during the hells bells walk up thing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

I saw him on his crutches waiting in line at the Varsity theater on the Drag not long after that. 
RIP Freddie, he was a gamer who played bigger than his size….. and an inspiration to so many. 

• Hook 'Em 6

47 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Correct….

62387495-38DA-4054-99EB-BA807E7EE6C5.jpeg

The top left Tech stub from September 28th was only our 2nd game of the season; crazy how much later our season used to start compared to now. My freshman year (1985) we played our first game on September 21st; this year, that will be our fourth game…

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it’s also correct that the plaque was given out right after the Arkansas- Texas game, which he attended. Also ABC apparently talked Texas and Arkansas into moving the game to the end of the season as they believed both teams might go undefeated. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Correct….

62387495-38DA-4054-99EB-BA807E7EE6C5.jpeg

I was at that 1964 Cotton Bowl also.  My brother was home for the Christmas break of his plebe year at USNA. He had secured four tickets in the south end zone and he and I (a junior in high school) double dated to the game.

He seemed very sure that Staubach and company would prevail, but me and my date had the last laugh.  I came down to Austin for school in September of '65, but my date ended up at SMU.  We both ended up meeting our spouses at college.

It would be nice to have kept my ticket, but it would probably have been lost in a flood several years ago with many other mementos.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, El Squared said:

I think it’s also correct that the plaque was given out right after the Arkansas- Texas game, which he attended. Also ABC apparently talked Texas and Arkansas into moving the game to the end of the season as they believed both teams might go undefeated. 

Correct.

15 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Y’all are kind of missing the point.  That it was Nixon is irrelevant. That is an iconic moment in Longhorn history and is unique in presidential history. Texas A&M is one of dozens of schools that would kill to have a national championship plaque/trophy with an actual year on it that people who are still alive can remember. 

Well, Franklin Roosevelt probably never heard of aggy back then. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Horns Hogs and Nixon coming is an awesome book.  Bitching about Nixon is a moot point but surly gonna surly. Has any other game outside of army navy have a sitting potus show up let alone crown the university of Texas. The best in the nation. That’s the good stuff that keeps aggy up at night 

• Hook 'Em 7

34 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Horns Hogs and Nixon coming is an awesome book.  Bitching about Nixon is a moot point but surly gonna surly. Has any other game outside of army navy have a sitting potus show up let alone crown the university of Texas. The best in the nation. That’s the good stuff that keeps aggy up at night 

Hear Hear!

• Hook 'Em 3