2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

Just now, David Dennison said:

How was he going to pass a true universal healthcare plan with Joe Lieberman in the Senate?

I think people forget how conservative that 60 seat Dem caucus was. 2024 Joe Manchin would be center left in that caucus. You had Dems from LA, Arky, Alaska, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and West Virginia. Plus “independent” Lieberman and a party flipper in Specter. 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

How was he going to pass a true universal healthcare plan with Joe Lieberman in the Senate?

Yes. Good question. How would a mere president possibly squeeze the Democratic Senator most closely associate with the securities and investment industries in fall/winter 2009? That’s a real head scratcher!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yes. Good question. How would a mere president possibly squeeze the Democratic Senator most closely associate with the securities and investment industries in fall/winter 2009? That’s a real head scratcher!

At the expense of the insurance industry?

Good luck with that.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Experts war-gamed what might happen if deepfakes disrupt the 2024 election and things went sideways pretty quickly. So we've got that going for us ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/war-game-deepfakes-disrupt-2024-election-rcna143038

While y'all are arguing about past presidents, this seems slightly more important.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

At the expense of the insurance industry?

Good luck with that.

How well do you remember 2009? No president of your lifetime came into office with more leverage than Barack Obama and nobody did less with it. It was widely reported on at the time. His staff was tearing their hair out. He treated compromise like a good unto itself and refused to press. He likely thought he was buying good will, and he got nothing from it but rolled in the 2010 midterms, and it was over from there. 
Lieberman was a dead man walking. Obama called off the dogs.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How well do you remember 2009? No president of your lifetime came into office with more leverage than Barack Obama and nobody did less with it. It was widely reported on at the time. His staff was tearing their hair out. He treated compromise like a good unto itself and refused to press. He likely thought he was buying good will, and he got nothing from it but rolled in the 2010 midterms, and it was over from there. 
Lieberman was a dead man walking. Obama called off the dogs.

LBJ probably couldn't have convinced Joe Lieberman to support a public option.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so what is the truth here bc I know he's not telling it?

Doesn’t fucking matter, because when you tell me it takes 64 immigrants to replace one American I know it’s all a fucking lie. The inverse would probably be more likely, but that would still be bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

They are being laid off due to capitalism 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2024/03/12/why-is-tyson-foods-closing-its-perry-iowa-pork-plant-what-we-know/72934600007/#

https://qz.com/us-pork-producers-in-2023-are-looking-at-their-least-pr-1851093618#:~:text=Pork producers are paying the,%2C” Iowa State's Schulz says.

Pork producers are paying the price

Pork producers are losing money—an average loss of $32 per hog is projected for US hog growers in 2023. That trend will also continue into next year, according to economists.

“Profitability as we look at 2023 and 2024 is going to be potentially the worst two-year stretch ever for pork producers,” Iowa State’s Schulz says.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Navigating opposition is the single measurement of political skill.

but, For example, when he had a veto-proof senate majority in 2009 he could have immediately passed a true universal healthcare plan. Instead he dithered around, tried to do cap and trade first, failed, attempted to accommodate Grassley and McConnell when there was no need, and failed to punish them when they stabbed him in the back, meanwhile staying on the sideline and hoarding campaign cash while his house delegation went begging during the lead up to the 2010 midterms.

and that was just the first 2 years. He didn’t get the nickname “MiddleMan” for nothing.

I respectfully disagree. Veto-proof had little to do with that fight.   If you remember back to tea party days, the Republican Party was sworn to oppose Obamacare. In the Senate, Mitch threatened to, or did filibuster it during that fight.   The Democrats did not have 60 votes during that entire time, as two independents caucused with them.  In fact, Joe Lieberman infuriated everyone by insisting on no public option, and some Democrat from Nebraska whose name I can’t remember, held up things in a pork grab as well.   I think it was only when Spector became a Democrat that they had the 60 votes for cloture after several Dems or Dem allies had their wishes met. 

I simply disagree with your premise that the Democrats had all the votes to run roughshod and overcome a Republican filibuster, and that all Democrats at the beginning were on board.   

I do agree that it took Obama too long to recognize that the era of Republicans dealing in good faith on matters important to the national welfare was over, and that opposition to Democrats was the only thing that mattered.   To be fair to Obama, that was a newer political landscape that began with Gingrich, and then flowered into the tea party assholes in the Bama administration.

He tried to be fairer than was prudent, but as a hated black POTUS I’m sure he felt the need to not act without trying to get a consensus - for several reasons.  It was a useless effort, but that is with hindsight. 

• Hook 'Em 2

72 days of a supermajority 

also pork has been insanely cheap for a couple years now. Store close to me routinely sells ribs at 97 cents and 1.23/lb depending on the day. That adds nothing to the conversation but I want you all to know how much I pay for pork shits.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That’s ridiculous, but let’s say Lieberman would have never come around. Obama even had an easy button until late 2009. He himself killed the Healthy Americans Act (Wyden-Bennett) because it would have decoupled employment from insurance and was thus “too close to single payer.” He walked away from TEN GOP co-sponsors. Then after the public option was dead in the Baucus plan, he passed on Wyden Bennett again in favor of Pelosi’s version of the Romney/USCoC/Heritage proposal. 
Nobody bears more personal responsibility for maintaining the worst aspects of our system than President Obama. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s ridiculous, 

Wry ridiculous, LBJ would have told him that he was going to take him on a ride through Dallas in an open-topped convertible and Lieberman would have taken the hint. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wry ridiculous, LBJ would have told that he was going to take him on a ride through Dallas in an open-topped convertible and Lieberman would have taken the hint. 

Goddamn right. people forget that Lieberman was persona non grata after the 2008 election and would have lost his committee chairmanship and other prize assignments except for Obama telling Harry Reid to give Joe a mulligan. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so what is the truth here bc I know he's not telling it?

Apparently increasing your headcount by 82,700 means you have to close 5 facilities. If you want it to make sense you'll have to become a Sooner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s ridiculous, but let’s say Lieberman would have never come around. Obama even had an easy button until late 2009. He himself killed the Healthy Americans Act (Wyden-Bennett) because it would have decoupled employment from insurance and was thus “too close to single payer.” He walked away from TEN GOP co-sponsors. Then after the public option was dead in the Baucus plan, he passed on Wyden Bennett again in favor of Pelosi’s version of the Romney/USCoC/Heritage proposal. 
Nobody bears more personal responsibility for maintaining the worst aspects of our system than President Obama. 

How many of those GOP co-sponsors committed to vote for Wyden-Bennett?

Broke ass bitch

The report states, "Despite years of professing massive wealth and boasting of his desire to 'drain the swamp,' the deeply transactional former president is leaning yet again on the cash of others, turning Mar-a-Lago into a staging ground for billionaires and others with their own agendas," adding, "In a sign of the Trump orbit’s urgent need for cash, at least two donors who made seven-figure pledges to support Mr. Trump this year were nudged to see if they could cut an eight-figure check — meaning $10 million or more — instead, according to a person familiar with the request."

The cash deficit is already having an impact on campaign planning as cuts are being made, with the Times reporting the former president may do more campaigning from his Florida home base and less hitting the road.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

No voters that matter or most voters in general will ever see anything like this.  If Biden made a similar remark, it would be on Fox News 24 hours a day for the next 5 months with every single Republican politician parroting what Biden said 24/7 meaning half the country would think Biden is senile.  The right-wing Republican machine is unbelievably good at spreading misinformation or as intelligent people call it, lies.  

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bush Sr is the best president of my life. From there it goes

Clinton
Nixon
Obama
Ford
Reagan

Trump (worse for the country)
W Bush (body count)

Were you in a coma during the Carter years? 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Turnabout is fair play.

I was gonna say, taking something out of context and only passing around a snippet is straight from the GOP playbook

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Look, as my nine thousand other cloak room posts will attest, I am no fan of Trump, but this snippet was taken out of context.

pet

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t see the other clip and you have a good point. I wonder if there is anymore context to this one?

• Rage+1 2

53 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Turnabout is fair play.

yes, but it is nice when called out. On the DT Ukraine thread a message was posted. Good researchers could not find proof, so it became no news. I think on this site we do a good job calling out Bullshit. As it should be.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wry ridiculous, LBJ would have told him that he was going to take him on a ride through Dallas in an open-topped convertible and Lieberman would have taken the hint. 

He probably would have drove the car steering the wheel with his forearm because a can of beer was in his hand and the other hand was busy flopping out his dong.

• Like 1

This is a short summary of what happened at Donald Trump’s speech in Dayton, Ohio:

1. He plays the J6 Anthem a song by the rioters he calls “hostages.” He praises them.

2. He attacks Ron DeSantis and compares him to ISIS.

3. He says he won’t fund schools that have vaccine mandates.

4. He says we won World War 1 and World War 2 with “forts” like “Fort Bragg .”

5. He says President Biden beat “Barack Hussein Obama.”

6. He struggles to say the word “bite” when comparing immigrants to snakes.”

7. He says immigrants “are not people.”

8. He says he has been the most unfairly treated President and his crowds are bigger than Raegan.

9. He struggles to say “Rolling Stones.”

10. He says Fani Willis is named “Faney…like an ass.”

Speech ends. Here is our video recap with video proof of all the above: https://youtu.be/7wLuGjELJvY?si=jQii-k105HrjNZHo

• Hook 'Em 4