Measles

Neonmoon

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/24/health/measles-europe.html

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/23/world-health-organization-who-measles-warning-cases-rise-europe

The UN agency reported an enormous increase in numbers affected by the disease, which it said had accelerated in recent months. More than 30,000 cases were reported between January and October last year, compared with 941 cases in the whole of 2022 – a more than 30-fold rise.

Dr Hans Kluge, the WHO regional director for Europe, said: “We have seen in the region not only a 30-fold increase in measles cases, but also nearly 21,000 hospitalizations and five measles-related deaths (reported in two countries

Europe having some issues

US cases 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/measles-outbreaks-occurring-pockets-us-doctors-concerned/story?id=106440080

20 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, you’re saying there was a rise of measles cases after we introduced COVID vaccines? 

Someone needs to look into this. 

After I got vaccinated for COVID, every time I farted the garage door opened.

• Haha 4

I checked out the data from the Texas DHS; every year they publish some vaccine stats with respect to public and accredited private schools. While this omits the homeschoolers, etc it does provide a snapshot into how things are going. For kindergarten the MMR vaccine is at 94.20%, which is lower than public health officials would like to see I'm sure. It's not dire, but it's not great. I cannot recall the cutoff percentage for when the vaccine loses its ability to protect the vulnerable in the population.

On the DHS website you can download a doc that lists the coverage percentage of kindergarten students by county. Some counties are at 100%, while others are below 90% (I'm only referring to the MMR, other vaccines are listed as well).

Travis County is at 90.37%. Austin ISD specifically is at 87.69%. Austin Waldorf is 75%.

Polk County is at 65.03%. (Included so one can see how stark the range is). Polk County has around 50,000 residents,  no idea how many children in kindergarten there.

Some of the very rural counties where the population is low have low percentages as well. While the risk of contamination and spread may seem remote, so is access to medical care, so there is that.

It's a mixed bag where you can see pockets of low rates that might be affected if an infected individual gets among the group. Some charter schools with which I'm familiar were missing from the list and I'm not sure if that means the campus had too few kindergartners to turn in a report or if they've somehow slipped through the cracks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Should the vaccinated even care about these dipshits killing themselves off?

Yes because they take up valuable medical resources. 

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Dumb people make dumb life choices

since the beginning of time

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I checked out the data from the Texas DHS; every year they publish some vaccine stats with respect to public and accredited private schools. While this omits the homeschoolers, etc it does provide a snapshot into how things are going. For kindergarten the MMR vaccine is at 94.20%, which is lower than public health officials would like to see I'm sure. It's not dire, but it's not great. I cannot recall the cutoff percentage for when the vaccine loses its ability to protect the vulnerable in the population.

On the DHS website you can download a doc that lists the coverage percentage of kindergarten students by county. Some counties are at 100%, while others are below 90% (I'm only referring to the MMR, other vaccines are listed as well).

Travis County is at 90.37%. Austin ISD specifically is at 87.69%. Austin Waldorf is 75%.

Polk County is at 65.03%. (Included so one can see how stark the range is). Polk County has around 50,000 residents,  no idea how many children in kindergarten there.

Some of the very rural counties where the population is low have low percentages as well. While the risk of contamination and spread may seem remote, so is access to medical care, so there is that.

It's a mixed bag where you can see pockets of low rates that might be affected if an infected individual gets among the group. Some charter schools with which I'm familiar were missing from the list and I'm not sure if that means the campus had too few kindergartners to turn in a report or if they've somehow slipped through the cracks.

I don't like that AISD number.   Vaccines shouldn't be mandatory, but they should be mandatory for participating in society, including public school. If you want to die on a hill of misinformation and ignorance because you have such a pressing need to feel important, you should be welcome to do so, with open eyes that you will take your kids down with you.   The only exceptions should be extreme cases of a health issue that would make a vaccine dangerous for the individual.  A real one, not some bullshit someone gets a quack they share a pew with to make up for them.  Exceptions for being a fucking idiot should go away entirely, especially as we're seeing rising numbers of these types of fucking idiots.  It's insane to me that you can just opt out and put everyone else at risk, especially in a school setting.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Well, it’s mostly the kids of the ignorant who suffer from this, so I don’t think it’s quite fair to not being sympathetic with them.

And you’d be surprised on what populations end up having these outbreaks because it’s not all just anti-VAX from the south. It happens in clusters of immigrant populations. Unfortunately they too, have been subjected to vax misinformation mainly from that asshole Wakefield who should be tried for murder.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Well, it’s mostly the kids of the ignorant who suffer from this, so I don’t think it’s quite fair to not being sympathetic with them.

And you’d be surprised on what populations end up having these outbreaks because it’s not all just anti-VAX from the south. It happens in clusters of immigrant populations. Unfortunately they too, have been subjected to vax misinformation mainly from that asshole Wakefield who should be tried for murder.

While it's challenging to have no sympathy for the kids, just remind yourself who they will grow up and act like.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't like that AISD number.   Vaccines shouldn't be mandatory, but they should be mandatory for participating in society, including public school. If you want to die on a hill of misinformation and ignorance because you have such a pressing need to feel important, you should be welcome to do so, with open eyes that you will take your kids down with you.   The only exceptions should be extreme cases of a health issue that would make a vaccine dangerous for the individual.  A real one, not some bullshit someone gets a quack they share a pew with to make up for them.  Exceptions for being a fucking idiot should go away entirely, especially as we're seeing rising numbers of these types of fucking idiots.  It's insane to me that you can just opt out and put everyone else at risk, especially in a school setting.

The exemptions for personal reasons surpassed medical exemptions; off the top of my head it was 3% to 2% but I don't have the data in front of me right now. The remainder (in the overall state percentage) were children who were behind on one or more doses. That lag in currency may get rectified as children have their well checks each year.

The issue of public school kindergarten students having low rates is that younger siblings or younger siblings of their classmates may not have yet received any doses at all. It's been awhile for our family but I think the kids were almost a year old before they got their first dose. So, you take your family to the school play where there is unknown case of measles present (and the health officials say that something like 9 out of 10 unvaccinated children become infected), it's a gamble that can turn south in a hurry. Deaths are rare, but complications suck too.

Some of it is undoubtedly due to the Wakefield fracas, but vaccines becoming weaponized in the political arena did not help (Not CR discussing this here). There was a large outbreak that caused a furor in NYC over a certain religious group's refusal to vaccinate in spite of the outbreak. It's a touchy subject all around; it seems like it wouldn't be, but it is.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

And you’d be surprised on what populations end up having these outbreaks because it’s not all just anti-VAX from the south. It happens in clusters of immigrant populations. Unfortunately they too, have been subjected to vax misinformation mainly from that asshole Wakefield who should be tried for murder and then executed by slowly lowering him into a vat of acid.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

FIFY

Is he still living in Austin? He and the anti-vax guy (Del Bigtree) that makes the videos on various sites (he got kicked off of one, I think he's found another that is more disinfo friendly) were pretty close. Bigtree made a nice chunk of change even prior to COVID, which really brought in the $$.

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

but vaccines becoming weaponized in the political arena did not help

Yes, there was Covid resistance bleed over to a lot of other vaccines bc people aren’t rational and can’t think outside their twitterverse and FB comments.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Yall have missed my point.

The dumbfucks will end taking up beds in hospitals. Beds the people who aren't complete fucking idiots need.

You fucking dipshits cried about this very subject in COVID and it didn't happen. Keep crying.

7 hours ago, Pimphand said:

You fucking dipshits cried about this very subject in COVID and it didn't happen. Keep crying.

I mean it did happen. We knew prior to COVID hospitals do not invest in pediatric wards or PICU because it does not make money. A bad RSV spike in pediatric population has me taking care of large kids in a medical ICU. So it would only take a small percentage of bad cases to overwhelm pediatric resources. 

In COVID we rationed adult care. Me on the east coast at a large academic hospital could not take more young very sick patients from places as far as Ohio or Georgia so those younger patients we could save with ecmo probably died. Also true if you lived in a rural area as we could not normally decompress small rural hospitals with limited to no resources. So in other words if you happened to live in a small town in Texas or any other state your risk of death was higher if you presented to a small hospital. I saw that over and over again. 

• Hook 'Em 9

It's rather interesting to see a few neutral posts that contain factual information regarding documented cases and inoculation percentages grow rather emotional. It's not being alarmist to note these numbers in order to remind people to check medical records to ascertain if they're up to date. While measles fatalities are rare in developed countries, putting a child through the symptoms (rash, fever, etc) seems rather foolish but here we are. I make no comment on medical capacity to withstand outbreaks only to comment that given the contagious nature of the disease (noted in another post) that depending upon the size of the population affected, the medical community will likely be paying closer attention this spring to see how this goes.

image.png.54067fd34f6d2db4f2a64b5db207f2a0.png

16 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Counterpoint, although I'm guessing it's unlikely, what if they're all organ donors?

Or maybe you can't donate an organ if they die of the measles?

Serious question, however. Outside of hospital resources, is there any reason to be concerned about measles if you and your family got vaccinated? Obviously those that had legit health issues of some kind and couldn't get the vax, like an  autoimmune disease, are at risk. But for anyone else? I thought I remembered something awhile back about once a cluster gets big enough there is real danger for everyone, but I could be thinking of something else. 

9 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I'm pretty sure that there were shortages of ventilators, because the US kept buying ventilators from wherever they could. 

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Apparently someone didn’t have there feels justified.  Pimphand seems a bit angry.  

Well, perhaps he's grumpy becuase of how well received his posts on the Solar Flare thread from a conpsiracy theory youtube were received by the masses. But yeah, this is definitely a guy we should listen to when it comes to misinformation and reality.
Link below and a sampling. 

On 12/15/2023 at 5:30 PM, Pimphand said:

No but we potentially have ~25 years to live with the electrified world before the sun pops off another Carrington level event then it's sayonara to our modern way of life as we get beat back into the stone ages.  If you want to go down the rabbit hole I suggest you check out the Gleissberg cycle and look at all the catastrophes that happened during the Dalton minimum back in the early 1800s.  Big ones being Mount Tambora in 1815 which triggered the year without a summer as well as the 1811-12 New Madrid trio of earthquakes that caused the Mississippi River to go retrograde. 

Eventually we will figure out the sun controls the plate tectonics, earthquakes, and volcanoes and as we make our way though the galaxy big events start happening on some pretty common cycles.  The Holocene is running out of time since the Younger Dryas and our future is cold no matter what histrionics you get from the dipshit mainstream media they have a vested interest in deceiving the masses.

I'm no survivalist but make sure you go out and enjoy the perks of modern life while you still can because a combination of dystopian depopulationist governments hell bent on full control will continue wiping out your freedoms then comes the sun to reset the matrix and but a few of us will survive.

On 1/24/2024 at 3:45 AM, Pimphand said:

And we just recently missed a solar killshot but I bet you morons were too stupid to even know...

Stay asleep sheep ;-)

On 1/24/2024 at 3:55 AM, Pimphand said:

Sleep sleep

On 1/24/2024 at 5:49 AM, Pimphand said:

Well with the way Solar Cycle 25 is shaping up when we bottom out in the transition to Solar Cycle 26 we are primed for the first VEI 7 event since then.

Remember Pliny the Younger documented the Vesuvius eruption in 79 giving us the term Plinian explosions. You can also get a taster of Pliny the Younger from Russian River at Boonville Beer Festival on May 4th so there is that ;-)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's roughly 95% so Texas has declined right to the threshold. Stupid selfish assholes doing stupid selfish asshole things, news at 11.

16 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Wife is in public health and previously worked in a non-profit focused on immunizations. She said, paraphrasing, Austin is pretty bad because opposition to vaccines is one of those rabbit holes where the crunchy granola hippie variety nutjobs and christofascist evangelical nutjobs end up together at the bottom. Austin being Austin it has plenty of the former, and being Texas/the South, the latter exist too.

• Rage+1 5

Just now, gmr548 said:

It's roughly 95% so Texas has declined right to the threshold. Stupid selfish assholes doing stupid selfish asshole things, news at 11.

Wife is in public health and previously worked in a non-profit focused on immunizations. She said, paraphrasing, Austin is pretty bad because opposition to vaccines is one of those rabbit holes where the crunchy granola hippie variety nutjobs and christofascist evangelical nutjobs end up together at the bottom. Austin being Austin it has plenty of the former, and being Texas/the South, the latter exist too.

Horseshoe theory in action. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Was hoping Pimphand would make an appearance on this thread. Subscribed 

I love it. I don't say this lightly, he is on the Mt. Rushmore of dumbest surly posters. That takes effort and dedication, and I applaud him.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I love it. I don't say this lightly, he is on the Mt. Rushmore of dumbest surly posters. That takes effort and dedication, and I applaud him.

This is a bad comparison, because it's akin to a reverse Lays potato chip concept...you can't name JUST 4. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It is a weird confluence of hippy libs and homeschool types.  

spacer.png

Anyone who does not vaccinate their kids with MMR is pretty much a fool, unless a medical doctor says not to (kid is a chemo patient).

I also think giving a minor the Covid jab is really stupid.  Healthy young adults probably do not need it but it does not matter much either way.  Anyone with risk factors is stupid not to get it.

So I guess I am pro vax except for giving minors the Covid jab, which makes no sense to me.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 3

You know who does vaccinate their kids at a high rate (at least from the data the last time I looked, which was awhile back)?  Recent immigrants from Mexico and Central America.  Because some of those diseases they prevent were more common in their countries more recently than the US.

• Hook 'Em 7

17 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

And also because vaccines aren’t 100% effective in every person that gets them. And some people have other health conditions that prevent them from being able to take particular vaccines. People in both groups die because of moronic anti-vaxxers. 

23 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

(making up numbers here).

There's little need to do so as the real numbers are widely available. Measles antibodies develop in ~93-95% of children vaccinated at age 1 year and ~97-99% of children who receive two doses. To achieve herd immunity, as noted above, 95% of a population vaccinated is a good benchmark to keep cases limited.

Again, fatalities are rare in developed nations with access to healthcare, but after noting some of the case counts rising in the UK and other countries where US citizens frequently visit, it seemed like a good opportunity to add current state/local information to @Neonmoon's initial post. Most US outbreaks in past years have been swiftly curtailed. The Disney outbreak almost a decade ago was one of the larger ones that I can recall. It spread to several states and Canada but due to enough coverage, a little over 100 people were ill. It's not a very large number because so many people still inoculate their children. Prior to vaccine availability, 3-4 million cases per year were estimated in the US.

I'm not chicken littling this thread; I believe most of you are aware of the MMR vaccine etc. It's simply a placeholder as we pass through 'measles' season. (typically ends in April).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Hey puddin! Nobody special here, just a low rent CCEMTP that in late 2020 had to take a vent patient on a 5 channel pump from Brownwood to Albuquerque because that was the closest available ICU bed. But you say it didn’t happen, so it must have been a bad dream. Or maybe it was a wet dream? Idk, I really gotta lay off the peyote.

Yikes. Neither one of those cities has a hospital you want to be in.