Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

What are the odds that “Free Speech Warrior” Elmo bans references to the competitor?

At a minimum, he will have a bot running that replies to any post referencing Threads as follows: 

💩Pedophile💩

• Haha 3

I had an old disk copy of Sim city, it came with a little book with a set of codes you would have to enter when you loaded up the game from DOS. If you entered the wrong code, you could still play the game but there would be random outbreaks of fires and tornadoes throughout your game, making it difficult to truly build and maintain the ideal city. In a way, it was like twitter. I haven't loaded up the game since the nineties.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

Is Threads going to have a site where we can embed tweets or whatever the fuck they're going to call it?

Heard on CNBC that if only 1/4 of all Instagram users go to Threads then it will equal Twitter.  Assuming all the celebrities that are already on IG go, that's almost a certainty.  

I feel like this Threads release isn't getting enough attention. If it works anything like the old twitter, it almost certainly will kill new twitter, right? Or at least render it a shell of itself and devalue it way more than it already has after Musk's $44 billion purchase. I'm guessing a huge chunk of the most popular content creators make the jump within the first week and a bunch will follow in the following weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I feel like this Threads release isn't getting enough attention. If it works anything like the old twitter, it almost certainly will kill new twitter, right? Or at least render it a shell of itself and devalue it way more than it already has after Musk's $44 billion purchase. I'm guessing a huge chunk of the most popular content creators make the jump within the first week and a bunch will follow in the following weeks. 

It was basically all day today on CNBC so there's that.  They all seem to think it's going to kill Twitter.  Meta shares up 3% today on the news.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I had an old disk copy of Sim city, it came with a little book with a set of codes you would have to enter when you loaded up the game from DOS. If you entered the wrong code, you could still play the game but there would be random outbreaks of fires and tornadoes throughout your game, making it difficult to truly build and maintain the ideal city. In a way, it was like twitter. I haven't loaded up the game since the nineties.

Vette! was a ms-dos racing game my dad had on his computer - you’re in a corvette and race a Ferrari F40, a Lamborghini Countach, or a …. blue presumably 911 Porsche through the streets of San Francisco to the end of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you couldn’t provide the curb weight of a 1962 Corvette or whatever other piece of information out of the user’s manual you started with the cops behind you and never made it more than a few blocks. I miss that kind of stuff with games.

I was committing mass vehicular manslaughter a good 15 years before GTA III came out with that one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Also, I did the search for threads on instagram on my laptop and the ticket showed up and is now showing that it'll be available within the hour, instead of by tomorrow. I'm interested to see if it works tonight. 

Oh, it will work.  If after all this it crashes in a spectacular fashion, Zuck will have everyone assassinated who was responsible.

This is personal for Zuck, for whatever reason.

From a tech standpoint, it looks like they are just taking Instagram, stripping out (or limiting) the multimedia capabilities, and limiting the number of characters per twee...er, thread (?).  They already have existing (Instagram) users, and a sign up mechanism for new users.  Server and bandwidth capacity shouldn't be an issue, so....it appears most of the work is already accomplished.

Getting people to use the service will be the heavy lifting.   And if they can cobble up some kind of dashboard like Tweetdeck, they will pull even more over.

Really curious how much advertising this place has.  Twitter is pretty bad right (every 3 tweets for me is some kind of ad, for some of the most worthless dreck).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, after a few minutes.  Yeah, Twitter has a problem on their hands.  There's a lot of celebs, companies and the like posting shit right now.  I've seen one ad for some game, and not only can you block the account, you can block any future accounts associated with that account.

• Hook 'Em 3

Elon's most impressive business accomplishment could be the image rehabilitation he's provided to Mark fucking Zuckerberg.

Seriously….how much of a shitheel do you have to be to make Zuck look like the good guy here to save the day? I guess the answer is “Elon-level.”
  • Hook 'Em 7

I'm willing to bet Elon was a little stunned that all of the sudden, the Threads launch was announced for this week, and then with no warning, was moved up a day.  That's one helluva flex by Meta.

Would love to see the dashboard for their traffic, because everybody farting around on Threads right now means they aren't farting around on twitter.

• Hook 'Em 3

https://www.forbes.com.au/news/innovation/elon-musk-predicts-tesla-self-driving-cars-will-arrive-this-year/

At least he still has his FSD.  THIS year boys, and Elmo sounds serious this time. I mean more serious than he was when he made the same predictions in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.  Better rush out and buy before it goes up another $10K/year. This is BIG. I'm thinking about locking it down at $15K, and I don't even own a Tesla. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.forbes.com.au/news/innovation/elon-musk-predicts-tesla-self-driving-cars-will-arrive-this-year/

At least he still has his FSD.  THIS year boys, and Elmo sounds serious this time. I mean more serious than he was when he made the same predictions in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.  Better rush out and buy before it goes up another $10K/year. This is BIG. I'm thinking about locking it down at $15K, and I don't even own a Tesla. 

Meanwhile, in Austin....

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/volkswagen-bringing-self-driving-vehicle-tech-to-austin/

Car manufacturer Volkswagen announced Thursday it would roll out self-driving vehicle technology in the Texas capital later in July, per CNBC reporting.

Approximately 10 of VW’s ID Buzz electric vans will be deployed in Austin by the end of 2023, with the first two vans scheduled to begin testing before the end of the month. The vans utilize autonomous driving systems, developed in coordination with Mobileye.

The ID Buzz vans are manufactured with lidar, radar and camera systems to assist the vehicle’s self-driving mechanisms. VW officials told CNBC the vehicles will be “geofenced,” or operable only in certain areas of Austin that have already been mapped out.

During this early testing phase in Austin, all of the self-driving vehicles will feature human drivers on board to oversee the testing.

“We selected Austin as the first U.S. hub, as the city has a track record for embracing innovation and offers a conducive climate for the testing of autonomous vehicles,” Katrin Lohmann, the executive leading Volkswagen’s self-driving efforts in the U.S., told CNBC.

Austin marks VW’s first U.S. self-driving testing hub for the ID Buzz. Lohmann told CNBC the company is expected to extend its testing operations into as little as four more U.S. cities over the next three-year period.

"We selected Austin as the first U.S. hub, as we heard Elon Musk is in the area"

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

lol. yeah, we fired all those people and all the institutional knowledge and expected them to move on without a career or trying to use any of those skills. of course they went and made a social media aggregation platform for your competitor because he treated them like something approaching human even though he's totally a lizard, because he hates you and wants to crush you. 

/maybeaguywhowasrecentlyfiredwith12yearsinstitutionalknowledgegofuckyourself

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?