Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He's a three year old.  No further analysis required.

No, he's a 1990s teenaged BBS SysOp who is imposing different upload/download ratios on people in the  warez shareware files section of his BBS, based on whether they are okay with him breaking into chat with them when they logon, or whether they are willing to give him rides to the weekly or monthly BBS meetups.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No, he's a 1990s teenaged BBS SysOp who is imposing different upload/download ratios on people in the  warez shareware files section of his BBS, based on whether they are okay with him breaking into chat with them when they logon, or whether they are willing to give him rides to the weekly or monthly BBS meetups.

Fucking nerd.

• Haha 8

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/15/tesla-launches-cheaper-versions-of-model-x-and-model-s-electric-cars.html

Tesla rolled out cheaper versions of its Model S and Model X vehicles in the U.S. as competition in the electric vehicle space continues to ramp up.

The lower-cost versions of both vehicles launched Monday are $10,000 less than the regular model, according to Tesla’s website.

The Model X Standard Range starts at $88,490 versus $98,490 for the Model X. The cheaper version has a driving range of 255 miles to 269 miles. For comparison, the Model X has a range of 330 miles to 348 miles and a slightly faster acceleration speed.

The Model S Standard Range starts at a price of $78,490 versus $88,490 for the Model S. The cheaper version of the Model S has a driving range of 298 miles to 320 miles. The Model S has a range of 375 miles to 405 miles.

Tesla continues to focus on gaining market share and boosting sales of its cars at the expense of margins. In its June quarter earnings, the carmaker, run by billionaire Elon Musk, reported operating margins of 9.6%, the lowest for at least the last five quarters.

The lower-cost cars are part of a broader drive by Tesla focusing on being competitive on price as automakers around the world launch electric vehicles and competition heats up.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

He is such a ducking pussy, he really is an angst-ridden Teenaged 1990s BBS SysOp.

https://gizmodo.com/scott-galloway-locked-out-twitter-musk-1850743635

NYU Professor Locked Out of Twitter After Reportedly Declining to Meet With Elon Musk

Scott Galloway says he was locked out of his account after Elon Musk felt the podcast had "unfairly attacked” him

New York University professor and Kara Swisher’s podcasting buddy Scott Galloway voiced his outrage at being banned from posting on Twitter in a Threads post on Tuesday. Galloway claims he’s been locked out of Twitter (aka X) two days after allegedly declining an invitation to meet with the chief Twit himself. 

Galloway posted on Threads that, as of Tuesday, he had been locked out of his account for 17 days, following it up with a post saying: “A mutual friend reached out and said Elon feels ‘unfairly attacked,’ by me, and wants to meet. I declined. 2 days later I was locked out of ‘X.’”

Galloway has consistently criticized Musk following his Twitter takeover, telling Huffington Post last year that Musk has a “total lack of grace” when it comes to his leadership at Twitter. “This is someone who, in my opinion, shows a bit of a God complex,” Galloway added. In yet another Threads post on Monday, Galloway appeared to voice that he would have supported Musk, had it not been for his outspoken opinions on Twitter. “Elon would have been a legend … if he hadn’t started tweeting,” Galloway wrote.

He has also commented on a Reuters investigation into Tesla vehicles’ driving range while also taking a shot at Musk’s ambitions to turn Twitter into an everything app. “Tesla intentionally gave drivers rosy driving range projections, leaving many stranded,” Galloway posted on Twitter. “BUT you should totally bank with X.” Musk clapped back on Twitter, calling Galloway an “insufferable numbskull,” and advising the best way to invest would be doing the opposite of what Galloway suggests.

Musk, who is a self-proclaimed “free speech absolutist,” has a history of punishing anyone who deigns to criticize him, most recently appearing to slow down links to news outlets and Twitter competitors on his social media platform. Both The New York Times and Reuters were targeted, showing a roughly 10-second slowdown when opening a link via Twitter, while Facebook, Threads, and Bluesky were likewise affected.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/16/tech/x-ads-pro-nazi-account-brand-safety/index.html

At least two brands have said they will suspend advertising on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, after their ads and those of other companies were run on an account promoting fascism. The issue came less than a week after X CEO Linda Yaccarino publicly affirmed the company’s commitment to brand safety for advertisers. 

The nonprofit news watchdog Media Matters for America documented in a report published Wednesday that ads for a host of mainstream brands have been run on the account, which has shared content celebrating Hitler and the Nazi Party. 

Ads for brands including Adobe, Gilead Sciences, the University of Maryland’s football team, New York University Langone Hospital and NCTA-The Internet and Television Association were run alongside tweets from the account that had garnered hundreds of thousands of views, CNN observed.

Spokespeople for NCTA and pharmaceutical company Gilead said that they immediately paused their ad spending on X after CNN flagged their ads on the pro-Nazi account. 

“We take the responsible placement of NCTA ads very seriously and are concerned that our post about the future of broadband technology appeared next to this highly disturbing content,” NCTA spokesperson Brian Dietz said in a statement, adding that the organization had opted into X’s brand safety measures including keyword restrictions and limiting its ad placement to the “home feed of target audiences.” 

“Brand safety will remain an utmost priority for NCTA, which means suspending advertising on Twitter/X for the foreseeable future and heavily limiting NCTA’s organic presence on the platform,” Dietz said. A spokesperson for Gilead said the company will pause its ad spending while X investigates the issue. 

Jason Yellin, University of Maryland’s associate athletic director, expressed concern about the placement of the football team’s post on the account and said Maryland Football has not spent money on advertising on X since 2021, meaning X may have promoted the post despite it not being a paid ad.

A spokesperson for NYU Langone said in a statement that the hospital was “completely surprised by this and are extremely concerned with any appearance of our advertising and brand next to obviously objectionable content that promotes hatred,” adding that it expects its advertising partners to “act responsibly.”

X did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNN. Hours after the Media Matters report was published Wednesday morning and CNN observed additional brands’ ads running on the account, the account appeared to be suspended. 

Adobe did not immediately respond to requests for comment from CNN.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

what?!

Jason Yellin, University of Maryland’s associate athletic director, expressed concern about the placement of the football team’s post on the account and said Maryland Football has not spent money on advertising on X since 2021, meaning X may have promoted the post despite it not being a paid ad.

image.png.b3c600be7235a3c4060e9d0a29805339.png

i absolutely don't want to see the CEO of McDonalds or Wendys or Outback Steakhouse tweeting. i couldn't give less of a damn about them.

i do want to see the memes though, and as evidenced by the CEO of X, CEO of Tesla, CEO of SpaceX, President of Musk Foundation, Co-Founder of Neuralink, Open AI, Zip2 and X.com shows daily, the CEO meem game is weak.

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hope you realize this is good natured, but I just couldn't help myself. So I made a list of common AtomHeartBevo talking points

I thought it was hilarious.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.  I mean....this totally reminds me of the time I got a hug from Susanna Hoffs.....

His diagram needed something about a pissing match between you and I over Sela ward.  We both go to the Sela Ward well fairly often (or at least fantasize about her well). I would put that and Susanna Hoffs and something about a ledge and bourbon in the top three if he made such a diagram for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Twitter ultimately suspended the pro-Hitler account once the story got some steam (I'm sure Musk will unsuspend it - his incel fanbois are not happy with him over it), but they waited until they saw it posting more pro-Hitler shit.  This was after Yaccarino was embarrassed/called out about the account and advertisers having their ads showing up next to it (her original tweet below from yesterday, but the interview was last week)

https://www.mediaite.com/tech/x-platform-suspends-pro-nazi-account-after-major-brands-threaten-to-leave-just-a-week-after-ceo-yaccarino-touted-brand-safety/

The X social media platform, formerly known as Twitter, has suspended a pro-Nazi account after major brands threatened to pull their ads for being featured next to the fascist tweets, according to media watchdog group Media Matters. The controversy came just one week after X CEO Linda Yaccarino discussed the platform’s commitment to brand safety.

“Since acquisitions, we have built brand safety and content moderation tools that have never existed before at this company,” Yaccarino said during an August 10 sit-down interview with Squawk on the Street’s Sara Eisen. Yaccarino said that brands are now “protected from the risk of being next to” hate speech content.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/twitter-ceo-says-new-policy-in-place-to-label-and-deamplify-hate-speech-on-platform/

Under the leadership of CEO Linda Yaccarino, X (formerly known as Twitter) has been placing ads for brands like The New York Times Co.’s The Athletic, MLB, the Atlanta Falcons, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Amazon, and Office Depot on a verified pro-Adolf Hitler account that encourages antisemitic harassment. The company continues to monetize the openly antisemitic account despite reportedly acknowledging it had violated the platform’s “rules against violent speech.

Following the publication of this article, X suspended the openly pro-Hitler account. The suspension came only after the company verified the account; allowed it to repeatedly post antisemitic content; and monetized it by placing advertisements for major brands on the account. X’s monetization of the account also happened even though the company had reportedly acknowledged that the antisemitic account engaged in “violent speech.”

Brands featured alongside the fascist account’s tweets included Adobe, Gilead Sciences, the University of Maryland’s football team, New York University Langone Hospital, and NCTA-The Internet and Television Association.

NCTA and Gilead suspended their advertising after CNN picked up on it

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/16/tech/x-ads-pro-nazi-account-brand-safety/index.html

I'm giving it a few days before Elon declares that the account was cleaned up and the suspension is dropped.  They've already done that for somebody posting child abuse material.

• Haha 3

If you want a peak behind the curtain of SpaceX's finances, WSJ has a write-up (and are probably cruising for a twitter/X suspension)

https://www.wsj.com/tech/behind-the-curtain-of-elon-musks-secretive-spacex-revenue-growth-and-rising-costs-2c828e2b

SpaceX’s soaring revenue helped it eke out a small profit in the first three months of the year after two annual losses, according to documents that offer a rare view into the financials of Elon Musk’s rocket company.

The privately held company generated $55 million in profit on $1.5 billion in revenue during the first quarter of 2023, according to results in documents viewed by The Wall Street Journal. The slim earnings came after two years of significant but narrowing losses at SpaceX, which is pouring money into a rocket that remains unproven and poses difficult technical challenges. 

Hawthorne, Calif.-based SpaceX has grown rapidly since its early days and was valued at roughly $150 billion during a recent employee stock sale, putting it on par with Intel or Disney. 

Unlike those corporate giants, SpaceX is privately owned and keeps details about its finances under wraps, as do many other private companies. Some people with stakes in SpaceX have no idea how much money the company makes or loses. Many SpaceX investors view their holdings as a long-term bet and say they aren’t concerned about seeing results. 

It is unusual to have a full look at some of the company’s recent results, as the Journal did, including costs and how SpaceX performed based on the traditional measure of profitability. The last public deep dive into its financials occurred more than six years ago in the Journal.

Before SpaceX’s small quarterly profit at the start of this year, the company reported about $5.2 billion in total expenses for 2022, up from $3.3 billion the year earlier, the documents show. Revenue doubled to $4.6 billion, helping the company reduce its loss last year to $559 million from $968 million.

The documents also show SpaceX wrote down the value of bitcoin it owns by a total of $373 million last year and in 2021 and has sold the cryptocurrency. Tesla has taken a similar approach with its bitcoin holdings. 

Yeah, I'd want a company that hasn't been all that profitable to have hundreds of millions in bitcoin.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you want a peak behind the curtain of SpaceX's finances, WSJ has a write-up (and are probably cruising for a twitter/X suspension)

https://www.wsj.com/tech/behind-the-curtain-of-elon-musks-secretive-spacex-revenue-growth-and-rising-costs-2c828e2b

Yeah, I'd want a company that hasn't been all that profitable to have hundreds of millions in bitcoin.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

Why would a space company, and a publicly-traded car company own crypto?  What's the business case.

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

You left out "is that big?" whenever crank size is mentioned.

You're right.  I did, indeed, leavel that out. Do we need to encourage his incessant need to talk about dude's cranks? I mean, I didn't see a need, but by all means gentlemen, this is a public forum. 

• Haha 2

I know the Threads folks are adding features literally every week, but damn, Musk is just lobbing it right over the plate for them.  

In theory this should shut up the people who claim he’s not deliberately trying to destroy Twitter, but they are probably celebrating the fact that they can’t be blocked anymore.

Those still actively using it and not just grabbing some tweets here and there get to drink from the firehose

firehose-fire.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Yep.  What he MEANS is "it makes no sense that I would pay billions for this platform and not be able to force everyone on it to be subjected to whatever I say/post."

I mean, he COULD implement a policy that you can't block Twitter admins or leadership, and that would get him what he wants.  But instead, the American Airlines corporate account is going to have to deal with a string of replies from MAGAsUPERpATRIOT59 about how the election was stolen by Bill Gates using 5G vaccine chips, and from GROYPERSROOL69 about how the airline is really run by (((leadership))) that is working in league to undermine the purity of the white race.

Which means there will soon be no American Airlines corporate account.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I've blocked probably over 100 ads in the last month alone. 

33 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kjktwrzvelkjubwan3

can anyone offer an explanation for this other than he doesn't like that everyone blocks him? wtf? it's such a basic feature - is there more context behind his comment that it "doesn't make sense" that helps understand what he might be saying that isn't mind bogglingly stupid?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kjktwrzvelkjubwan3

can anyone offer an explanation for this other than he doesn't like that everyone blocks him? wtf? it's such a basic feature - is there more context behind his comment that it "doesn't make sense" that helps understand what he might be saying that isn't mind bogglingly stupid?

I think you are confused, he is saying that removing the blocking feature makes no sense.

I mean you don't get the free speech absolutionist - how can you have truly free speech if you block people?

And it doesn't count when he does it https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/04/elon-musk-twitter-still-banning-journalists 

That is maybe the best real reason I can come up with. There is no real reason to do away with blocking people. He must either be pissed the he is so blocked on the platform or he things this move will drive people to subscribe more - how - NO CLUE.

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

I think you are confused, he is saying that removing the blocking feature makes no sense.

I am confused now - are you actually saying that this is what he is saying? It looks like he is saying "blocking accounts is going to be removed as a feature because it does not make sense (except for DMs)."

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?