Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Tesla may or may not get this over the goal line, but no one can dispute that they have moved the ball significantly down the field towards autonomous vehicles being an every day reality. 

See, this is part of the mythology that just baffles me.  Self-driving vehicles is not a Tesla idea, a major Tesla advancement, or anything of the sort.  It is, instead, a "transportation industry concept" that pre-dates Tesla trying to implement it, and Tesla is just a fish in a very large school of fish swimming in the same general direction.  FFS, I remember a LONG time ago, talking with an acquaintance of ours who was working on tech for the military to implement self-driving tech for transport convoys and the like.

Mythologizing Tesla as "the leader" or the "chief innovator" or anything like that tells me one thing: that you drank the kool-aid. The whole fucking 32 oz tumbler of it.

Musk is revolutionary at precisely two things: manipulating existing systems (mostly financial), and self-promotion.  Congratulations.  You just bought in to some "As Seen on TV!" bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 8

it's jawdropping for me to see him do dumb shit like this:

image.png.d2f655f8ea97fcd685f3c1b3ffb4d649.png

breaking news, asshole. it's entirely possible that BECAUSE they helped the Nazis they don't want to be associated with them now.

this is from yesterday, but it's still wild as hell to see him have THIS takeaway from the post:

image.thumb.png.eb0e6d9392bfb90786d9b6a597746e00.png

also go check out threads and the number of folks who are moving over - the most i've seen since week 1. and the difference is that then folks were checking it out, now medium sized folks are mothballing their twitter accounts b/c of yesterday or are posting different stuff on both websites.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's jawdropping for me to see him do dumb shit like this:

image.png.d2f655f8ea97fcd685f3c1b3ffb4d649.png

breaking news, asshole. it's entirely possible that BECAUSE they helped the Nazis they don't want to be associated with them now.

this is from yesterday, but it's still wild as hell to see him have THIS takeaway from the post:

image.thumb.png.eb0e6d9392bfb90786d9b6a597746e00.png

also go check out threads and the number of folks who are moving over - the most i've seen since week 1. and the difference is that then folks were checking it out, now medium sized folks are mothballing their twitter accounts b/c of yesterday or are posting different stuff on both websites.

I'd like for Elon to tell us how, in this PARTICULAR context (which is what prompted his reaction), Media Matters is an "evil organization."

Remember, Gaudaloopy -- every dollar you spend with Elon goes towards supporting this. 

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See, this is part of the mythology that just baffles me.  Self-driving vehicles is not a Tesla idea, a major Tesla advancement, or anything of the sort.  It is, instead, a "transportation industry concept" that pre-dates Tesla trying to implement it, and Tesla is just a fish in a very large school of fish swimming in the same general direction.  FFS, I remember a LONG time ago, talking with an acquaintance of ours who was working on tech for the military to implement self-driving tech for transport convoys and the like.

Mythologizing Tesla as "the leader" or the "chief innovator" or anything like that tells me one thing: that you drank the kool-aid. The whole fucking 32 oz tumbler of it.

Musk is revolutionary at precisely two things: manipulating existing systems (mostly financial), and self-promotion.  Congratulations.  You just bought in to some "As Seen on TV!" bullshit.  

1.  The Nazis were human pieces of shit.

2. The Nazis made incredible advances in rocket technology.

Both can be true.

Despite the fact that people around the world were working in the field of rocketry, the Nazis are the ones who actually put working shit into the real world.

1. Elon has revealed himself to be a piece of shit/war criminal.

2. His company has significantly advanced the field of autonomous vehicles by putting out large numbers of vehicles with at least some level of autonomy to gather data and improve the AI models that will eventually lead to the solution of this technical challenge.

Both can be true.

Despite the fact that people around the world have been working in the field of autonomous vehicles for decades, Tesla is the company that has put autonomous vehicles on the roads in large numbers.

1. We can hate on Elon.

2. We can acknowledge that his companies (despite him) have made important technological advances on a rapid timeline.

Both can be true.

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

By the time we have robotaxis in 2080, you’ll be eating those words when everyone wants to ride in a vintage 2018 Tesla.

It's a 2021, thank you very much.

• Hook 'Em 1

How useful is the data when he's trying to skimp and do it in a way that no other manufacturer thinks is a safe/reasonable approach without radar? I'm sure there's some information to be gained but I bet it's just a collection confirming why nobody else thought it would be a good idea to go camera only. Wouldn't the real visionary thing to do be find a way to bring down the cost of the radar, perhaps even proprietarily and license or sell that tech to other automakers? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

See, this is part of the mythology that just baffles me.  Self-driving vehicles is not a Tesla idea, a major Tesla advancement, or anything of the sort.  It is, instead, a "transportation industry concept" that pre-dates Tesla trying to implement it, 

Popular Mechanics or Popular Science had articles many years before Tesla was in existence about self-driving vehicles, and how they would do everything from relieving parents from having to shuttle their kids around to increasing worker efficiency (getting work done on the way to or from work), as well as increasing fuel efficiency - if you had a group of cars linked together over a network and drafting off of one another NASCAR-style, a lot of fuel could be saved.  There was even talk about embedding sensors in California highways to test the concepts out.

His managerial styles have been put on display for the world to see with his management of Twitter.  I have no doubt that the impulsive, unable to self-moderate, turn-on-a-dime decisions he makes with twitter are replicated with twitter. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, BearMace said:

How useful is the data when he's trying to skimp and do it in a way that no other manufacturer thinks is a safe/reasonable approach without radar? I'm sure there's some information to be gained but I bet it's just a collection confirming why nobody else thought it would be a good idea to go camera only. Wouldn't the real visionary thing to do be find a way to bring down the cost of the radar, perhaps even proprietarily and license or sell that tech to other automakers? 

If you told me that he yanked the radar/lidar stuff from Teslas not because of what he says about cameras being better and the only needed solution, but because he felt that working with multiple sensor systems is taking too long, I'd believe it. Because he's not a trained engineer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

As someone who purchased FSD three years ago and someone who has used the product in beta for nearly two years, I can speak to these issues.

1) It was always communicated to people who actually purchased the FSD package that you were purchasing access to software in development and that you would receive incremental delivery of new capabilities, culminating in delivery of a fully certified level 5 autonomous driving system at some point in the future.  There was never a specific timeline for delivery of the final capability.  You were buying the future capability now at a price significantly lower than the price you would pay for the product after it achieves level 5 certification. 

2) I purchased FSD in September 2020 when I ordered my 2021 Model 3.  From the day it was delivered, my car had additional capabilities that were not available to non-FSD Teslas: auto-lane change on highway, navigation on highway, and smart summon.  A year after I took delivery, I was accepted into the beta program and received "navigate on city streets" in FSD beta.  At that point, I could enter a destination and my car could actually drive itself to the destination.  Sure, I still had to pay attention and intervene from time to time, but it was a 90% solution.  The product has continued a steady path of improvement since then.  In the grand scheme of things, and certainly compared to what any other auto-maker offers to consumers, what Tesla has delivered is pretty fucking impressive.

There is still a lot of work to do until it reaches level 5, but it's objectively not vaporware.

MtCwBB.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I don't think it's an argument that Tesla pushed EV technology (and more importantly pushed legacy ICE companies to embracing EVs) to another level.  We all hate Elon.  Teslas, despite the horror stories posted here, are phenomenal cars.  I know y'all don't want to believe it.  Oh they have production issues?  Mine runs like a fucking gem and has had zero problems ever since 2018. 

Don't confuse Elon being a piece of shit with Teslas being good cars.  Are they going to get to real FSD?  I don't know.  Honestly, I don't care.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Popular Mechanics or Popular Science had articles many years before Tesla was in existence about self-driving vehicles, and how they would do everything from relieving parents from having to shuttle their kids around to increasing worker efficiency (getting work done on the way to or from work), as well as increasing fuel efficiency - if you had a group of cars linked together over a network and drafting off of one another NASCAR-style, a lot of fuel could be saved.  There was even talk about embedding sensors in California highways to test the concepts out.

Holy shit... no one is claiming that Elon or Tesla invented the concept of autonomous vehicles.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I've seen a large uptick in new users and followers.  I kind of wonder if people have been waiting for the other shoe to drop, and his dumbassery this week was it.  Not helped that he's mocking IBM and the media over the anti-semitism stuff.

Well, she signed up for this, and I'm presuming the pay is decent.  At this point, she's already sold her soul, so might as well stick around for the cash.

Yep. For the right about of money, I’d take her job tomorrow.
I wouldn’t do the job well….at all….but I think we’ve established that’s not an expectation anyway.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

220k and still purrs like a kitten.  Spent $3k to replace the catalytic converters and that didn't get the check engine light to turn off, so I said fuck it.  I only drive a couple of times a week.  

99 F-150 with 150k miles on it.  Hasn't been registered in 10 years (actually DID get it inspected a few years back, intending to register it....but never got around to it).  Still drive it about 2k miles a year for hunting, fishing, hauling shit, and site visits for work.  I'm playing with house money.

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

220k and still purrs like a kitten.  Spent $3k to replace the catalytic converters and that didn't get the check engine light to turn off, so I said fuck it.  I only drive a couple of times a week.  

The funny thing is that they won't require you to get it inspected but they'll be more than happy to continue to take that fee from you.  I'm sure it will go to a worthy cause.

We have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with only 100K miles.  Just had to fix the parking brake to pass inspection but otherwise that's going to run forever.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

@Brisketexan you could do her job, which seems to be damage control

I mean.....she fucking LITERALLY SAID THIS RE ANTISEMITISM AND DISCRIMINATION:

There's no place for it anywhere in the world

Well...I mean....I can think of ONE place for it.  What place is that?  Well, Linda, look on the map - X marks the spot.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wait....I thought Elon was Mr. Freedom and Free Speech and all that jazz?  How about he tries to post a Winnie the Pooh picture in China......

He's such a pathetic simp.

(By the way, I don't necessarily fault an American business exec for shaking Xi's hand -- I just fault the fucking absolute piece of shit hypocrite for doing it, and I fault the hell out of all of his fanbois still stanning for that pathetic lump of shit).

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, BearMace said:

Wouldn't the real visionary thing to do be find a way to bring down the cost of the radar, perhaps even proprietarily and license or sell that tech to other automakers? 

I've read the cost of the parts is minuscule. Like $50. My guess at what happened is something like this...

Muskket: How long will it take to make the updates we need on the FSD software?

Engineer: Well I have to re-write it for the cameras, for the radar and for the lidar so it's not as straightforward as you might be thinking.

Muskket: So you're saying it would take a lot less time to re-write the code if we only used cameras?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

https://www.wired.com/story/x-elon-musk-antisemitism-advertisers/

Elon Musk May Have Just Signed X’s Death Warrant

Elon Musk may have put the final nail in X’s coffin. On Wednesday, Musk appeared to endorse an antisemitic post by user @breakingbaht alleging that “Jewish communities have been pushing the exact kind of dialectical hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.” In response, Musk posted, “You have spoken the actual truth.”

The original post seemed to echo the beliefs of the “great replacement” conspiracy theory, which is popular among white supremacists and right-wing extremists. The backlash has been swift. In a statement earlier today, White House spokesperson Andrew Bates condemned the “abhorrent promotion of antisemitic and racist hate in the strongest terms, which runs against our core values as Americans,” and marquee advertisers have been quick to pull their business. IBM, Disney, Liongsgate, and the European Union have pulled advertising from X in response to Musk’s post. According to a report in Axios, Apple has also paused advertising on X.

At the time of publication, Apple had not responded to multiple requests for comment, nor has it confirmed that it is pulling its advertising from X.

“Advertisers like IBM and Apple aren’t just big names, they’re big spenders on X,” says Angelo Carusone, president of Media Matters, a media watchdog group which has been tracking advertiser behavior on X. Carusone, citing data shared by data insights firm Sensor Tower, says that in July, the top five advertisers on X by spending were Apple, FinanceBuzz.io, Amazon, Mondelez International, and Hewlett-Packard. In the past, Apple has frequently been among the top 20 advertisers on X.

Spoiler

Carusone adds that Apple typically signals a certain level of brand safety to other, smaller advertisers. The company is also known for its stringent policies around controversial content in its App Store and on its own platforms. If Apple has paused, or plans to pause, its advertising on X, it “could have a halo effect,” Carusone claims, scaring other advertisers away from the platform. “It goes way beyond money.”

In August, X CEO Linda Yaccarino emphasized that the company was expanding its brand-safety tools, designed to give advertisers and marketers more control over what kind of content their ads appeared in proximity to.

But this recent spate of antisemitic content on X, and the juxtaposition of big-brand ads next to it, only underscores to advertisers that X is a risky bet, experts argue. “Even with those tools, if you’re an advertiser right now you’re thinking, there’s quite literally nothing I can do on this platform to improve my experience,” Carusone says.

“The problem with X is not only that there's misinformation and antisemitic content on the platform, and other hateful content as well, but that it's being spread by Musk himself,” says Jasmine Enberg, principal analyst for social media at Insider Intelligence, a market research firm.

“The brand safety concern for advertisers isn't just about the content but about the platform and the leadership.” Enberg argues that Musk has treated the company like something he could remake in his own image, not understanding that “what he wants and what he seemingly believes is not necessarily aligned with what users and advertisers on the platform want and believe.”

Under Musk’s leadership, X is expected to see an unprecedented 54 percent drop in advertising revenue, which previously accounted for more than 90 percent of the company’s total.

Even before Musk took ownership of then-Twitter, experts worried that his particular brand of free speech absolutism would lead to a flood of trolls and hate speech on the platform. In his first weeks as owner, Musk laid off nearly everyone working on trust and safety, the teams responsible for ensuring that hate speech, violence, and inappropriate content stay off the platform. (Hate speech did, in fact, increase under Musk’s leadership.) Musk’s lax approach to content moderation also nearly got the platform banned during the 2022 presidential runoffs in Brazil, the platform’s third largest market.

In response, advertisers began to flee, worried about the brand safety risks of their products appearing next to hateful or inflammatory posts. Since joining X as CEO earlier this year, Yaccarino, formerly global advertising lead at NBCUniversal, has seemingly been hampered in her ability to woo back advertisers by Musk’s decisions. And while X has claimed it was regaining advertisers, an October study from Media Matters found that X’s 100 largest advertisers were spending 90 percent less than they did before Musk’s takeover.