Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Betting pool on how long before he publicly accuses Jack and Co. of covering for pedophiles or that twitter was being run by pedophiles before he rescued it?

He came pretty close the past couple of days, so anytime now.  I imagine he will say something like they found "evidence" to support the allegations, but will never publicly release it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hornian said:

Yeah, I’m gonna have to disagree. He’s spent the last 6 weeks or so amplifying not just “right leaning” but full blown fringe right wing conspiracy theories. I don’t care what the previous twenty or so years says about his political stances, he’s shown his true colors. 

Let’s use this analogy: one could spend their entire adult life having only consensual sexual relationships, but if they go off the deep end and start drugging people at bars and having non-consensual sex with them after taking them back to their place for for six weeks, that person is a rapist. It doesn’t matter that the person didn’t rape anyone for decades - the 6 week rape spree showed their true colors. And they would forever have to register as a sex offender once convicted. 

The modern right has no real ethos beyond owning the libs (“anti-left” in NYT speak). So it’s fair to say he’s gone right-wing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, hornian said:

Yeah, I’m gonna have to disagree. He’s spent the last 6 weeks or so amplifying not just “right leaning” but full blown fringe right wing conspiracy theories. I don’t care what the previous twenty or so years says about his political stances, he’s shown his true colors. 

Let’s use this analogy: one could spend their entire adult life having only consensual sexual relationships, but if they go off the deep end and start drugging people at bars and having non-consensual sex with them after taking them back to their place for for six weeks, that person is a rapist. It doesn’t matter that the person didn’t rape anyone for decades - the 6 week rape spree showed their true colors. And they would forever have to register as a sex offender once convicted. 

You are disagreeing with the framing of the analysis in the times article.  Your frame is black and white. That is fine. Many are only comfortable with that world view.  For others, the article provides an informative perspective.  That is why I provided the text of the article.  

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

He’s a toddler. Just like so many other of our issues coming from having unserious people in charge of things, a guy who has basically ridden the right waves to a paper fortune has bought himself a bully pulpit.  Whatever, that’s his right in the US (not in other countries as he’s finding out).  What I’m baffled by is the millions out there who think a toddlers thoughts are remotely interesting, much less worth considering.  That should be the real issue.

And TMI should go crawl back into his troll hole.

Do you mean right as in correct or right as in conservative? Elon's wealth has been built off of selling electric cars to the left

I’ve long thought that my next car would be a Tesla. I like the idea of eliminating trips to the gas station and a much simpler car. Note, I am fully recognizing that Teslas ultimately run on hydrocarbons.

and while I still like teslas, Elon is just too erratic for me to invest in a vehicle in which the manufacturer’s leader is capable of anything on a whim. If he gets angry at the US govt maybe he decides to shut down Teslas in the US or just threatens to do it.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Do you mean right as in correct or right as in conservative? Elon's wealth has been built off of selling electric cars to the left

Yeah, there's gonna be a course correction on that front.

But he really needs a brodozer version of the Cybertruck if he wants to offset the loss of that demographic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

https://kdhnews.com/business/all-aboard-tesla-busing-killeen-area-workers-to-austin-factory-daily/article_7591d184-7732-11ed-9603-c75c954fd5a3.html

Electric vehicle maker Tesla is hiring Killeen-area residents for its giant gigafactory in Austin. One of the perks happens to be a ride to and from work in an air-conditioned — or heated, as the case may be — motor coach.

At least four charter buses — all marked with a sign indicating it was a shuttle service for Tesla — were parked at a local Killeen hotel this week.

There are four 50-passenger buses which make the 150-mile round-trip to Tesla Giga Texas twice a day from the Killeen-Harker Heights area, according to one of the bus drivers. The buses are owned by San Antonio-based Star Shuttle and Charter.

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

You are disagreeing with the framing of the analysis in the times article.  Your frame is black and white. That is fine. Many are only comfortable with that world view.  For others, the article provides an informative perspective.  That is why I provided the text of the article.  

No, it's not black and white framing. On balance of evidence he has turned into a right wing conspiracy nut job. The NYT article fails spectacularly because the haven't weighted all the available evidence properly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So the answer to Twitter’s problems are to convert it to a blog site?

e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_tex

Don’t forget publicly promoting conspiracy theories from a group that thinks JFK Jr is still alive and that Oprah Winfrey and Tom Hanks are trafficking kids for their fluids.  

My guess is the 4000 character thing is something he threw out there once he saw the backlash to his qanon bullshit about Fauci.  He will walk it back to a thousand characters or whatever. 

It’s good to see he’s trying to bring advertisers back.  Gold coins and prepper supplies aren’t going to sell themselves.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

No, it's not black and white framing. On balance of evidence he has turned into a right wing conspiracy nut job. The NYT article fails spectacularly because the haven't weighted all the available evidence properly.

Yes, it is clearly black and white framing.  MSNBC and Fox News is probably the proper speed for that debate - that he is either a "right wing conspiracy nut job" or not.  Feel free to put him in that category.  Feel free to sort everything in the US using that framing.  That is fine I suppose.  However, hopefully folks want a little more from their media - a little more from the journalistic outlets they consume - a little more when they seek to understand the world - a little more than just team politics. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t forget publicly promoting conspiracy theories from a group that thinks JFK Jr is still alive and that Oprah Winfrey and Tom Hanks are trafficking kids for their fluids.  

My guess is the 4000 character thing is something he threw out there once he saw the backlash to his qanon bullshit about Fauci.  He will walk it back to a thousand characters or whatever. 

It’s good to see he’s trying to bring advertisers back.  Gold coins and prepper supplies aren’t going to sell themselves.  

I’m betting they’ve turned off automated moderation systems that flagged content as possibly against Twitter community standards, and that those systems likely had to have a character limit to reduce the work they had to do in a near-real time delivery requirement.  Turn off moderation and curation, and you can have a lot more text delivered at near instantaneous speeds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yes, it is clearly black and white framing.  MSNBC and Fox News is probably the proper speed for that debate - that he is either a "right wing conspiracy nut job" or not.  Feel free to put him in that category.  Feel free to sort everything in the US using that framing.  That is fine I suppose.  However, hopefully folks want a little more from their media - a little more from the journalistic outlets they consume - a little more when they seek to understand the world - a little more than just team politics. 

I agree, actually. Elon’s actions aren’t traditionally politically motivated.

Rather, the following two things are the relevant facts: 1) he is a complete narcissist, and 2) one particular type of audience is ideal for feeding such narcissists what they need (pure and uncut adulation and worship). Thus, his pandering to the fringe right (which is no longer fringe).
He’s not motivated by specific political thought. He’s motivated by getting his knob slobbered, and one specific constituency has demonstrated a willingness to do so. So, he plays to them.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

What I’m baffled by is the millions out there who think a toddlers thoughts are remotely interesting, much less worth considering.  That should be the real issue.

This is without a doubt the real issue. And learning who we really are as a culture in this regard over the last 6+ has been really eye opening to me, though in looking back it probably shouldn’t have been surprising at all. Wish it was different, but whatevs I suppose.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, 3adays said:

Electric vehicle maker Tesla is hiring Killeen-area residents for its giant gigafactory in Austin. One of the perks happens to be a ride to and from work in an air-conditioned — or heated, as the case may be — motor coach.

Tesla did (does?) this in Fremont too. They bused workers in from the Central Valley (Los Banos) area departing for work in the middle of the night. From what I read, it's quite the grind and isn't really conducive to hiring long-term employees. The Fremont bus would be a 2 to 3 hour trip each, while I gather the Killeen trip is more like 2 hours each way.

4 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

Folks should read the article.  It describes how he socially has been libertarian, against widespread covid restrictions, for addressing climate change, and has now since taking over twitter has been against the left on cultural/conspiracy issues. It draws a distinction between "against the left" vs. "independent" vs. "for the right."  

In a way, you're right, if you're using the correct definition of libertarian: simpleton lacking critical thinking skill. (edit: although I find it thoroughly unconvincing that by platforming white supremacists and conspiracy theory pushers he's being "indpendent" and not "for the right"...frankly that's a load of crap.)

image.thumb.png.865579184a6c2c6a287eedfd62434eff.png

3 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

The opinion piece you reference is a prime example of "both sides" journalism. The proof that it's wrong is Elmo's own words this morning trying to stir up more outrage against Fauci. There are indeed only "black" and "white" sides to the "prosecute fauci" idiocy, among many other items Musk has been ranting about for the past several months. For example, if you say, "prosecute fauci" a person's response is indicative of whether they're a total moron, or not. As for the person who said it, they're absolutely reprehensible, naive, infested with brain worms, and deserve the worst of whatever happens to them.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Post.news allows extended text. It's pretty cool the way they do it. This is Elmo imitating Post. The way Post frames photos is very elegant, as well...very instagram-ish.

Edited by Chopper
attempted clarity
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree, actually. Elon’s actions aren’t traditionally politically motivated.

Rather, the following two things are the relevant facts: 1) he is a complete narcissist, and 2) one particular type of audience is ideal for feeding such narcissists what they need (pure and uncut adulation and worship). Thus, his pandering to the fringe right (which is no longer fringe).
He’s not motivated by specific political thought. He’s motivated by getting his knob slobbered, and one specific constituency has demonstrated a willingness to do so. So, he plays to them.

That is probably a big part of it. There is also someone else out there with apparent narcissistic tendencies, and that person also didn't fit neatly into our politically sorted view when he came to power. 

It is likely that a type of person and a type of group is simply attracted to narcissistic leaders.  I think it adds value to ponder whether people like Elon are acting purposely in narcissistic ways and whether they are purposely pushing culture war/conspiracy buttons. And if so, what is that purpose? What are they trying to do? What if it isn't just a simple personality order or mental illness?

I think they are both motivated by power, money, and influence. One person is willing to burn our political institutions, our position in the world, and the constitution for his power and grift.  Elon seems willing to spend $44 billion, convert twitter into a propaganda machine, and put his other companies and reputation at risk.  He was the richest guy in the world.  Why does he need more power? What is he going to do with it?  Maybe if is just mental illness but what if it is not?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I think they are both motivated by power, money, and influence. One person is willing to burn our political institutions, our position in the world, and the constitution for his power and grift.  Elon seems willing to spend $44 billion, convert twitter into a propaganda machine, and put his other companies and reputation at risk.  He was the richest guy in the world.  Why does he need more power? What is he going to do with it?  Maybe if is just mental illness but what if it is not?

What would be the rational explanation for tying one-self to a motley, lying group of conspiracy whack jobs and white supremacists as you tweet your brand new shiny company into oblivion while your other businesses sink along with it?

I've read too many NYT so I could only read the bits previously posted, but the author is wishy washy about the entire 'nuance' of Musk. It's no surprise that Democratic Feinstein received dollars from Tesla's owner. During the time the HQ was in Palo Alto, there was no way she was going to be unseated, nor was donating to a politician who sits on energy and tech subcommittees a dumb move. That doesn't mean that someone is a party supporter as much as someone knows how influence works. Few are so loyal as Mike Lindell and most give strategically to gain the most benefit.

People change for a lot of reasons, witness the migration of conservatives from the Republican party who see money being wasted on performative stage acts instead of on issues that can affect real change.

But, you do raise a good point about Twitter and propaganda. It's hard to say what he's doing, but he's got a little less than two years until decision day (11/5/2024) and (I suspect) some 'helpful' suggestions being whispered in his ear. Guess we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

What would be the rational explanation for tying one-self to a motley, lying group of conspiracy whack jobs and white supremacists as you tweet your brand new shiny company into oblivion while your other businesses sink along with it?

Your question is why would a billionaire use misinformation, culture war, and propaganda to influence a segment of the US population?  If there isn't an obvious answer to you, then you probably should start consuming more "both sides" journalism.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

My personal take is that the trans people in his life have broken his brain, which was quite feeble to begin with, and along with his previously mentioned yearning but never to be fulfilled desire to be cool, set him on a reactionary path.

His transgender kid said this summer "I no longer live with or wish to be related to my biological father in any way, shape or form” which has got to be a huge blow for a dude who wants adulation from everybody around him.  Based on what he has said publicly, he most likely sees the kid as a flaw, hence his mocking of the pronoun thing.

38 minutes ago, Chopper said:

For example, if you say, "prosecute fauci" a person's response is indicative of whether they're a total moron, or not. As for the person who said it, they're absolutely reprehensible, naive, infested with brain worms, and deserve the worst of whatever happens to them.

Musk was publicly wrong about how the pandemic played out and mocked heavily for it, and it still bugs the shit out of him to this day.  He's got a group of people that feel the same way, and who will gladly egg him on when he posts stupid shit like that.  That's where the narcissism and other mental illnesses kicks in.  Plus, he sees Fauci as an easy target (also helped by his followers).

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I think they are both motivated by power, money, and influence

This is probably our biggest disagreement. For Trump, it absolutely was. For Musk, I don't think so. It's a case of extreme emotional underdevelopment with a heinous lack of social skills coupled with narcissism.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

It is likely that a type of person and a type of group is simply attracted to narcissistic leaders.  I think it adds value to ponder whether people like Elon are acting purposely in narcissistic ways and whether they are purposely pushing culture war/conspiracy buttons. And if so, what is that purpose? What are they trying to do? What if it isn't just a simple personality order or mental illness?

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is probably our biggest disagreement. For Trump, it absolutely was. For Musk, I don't think so. It's a case of extreme emotional underdevelopment with a heinous lack of social skills coupled with narcissism.

He lied about the death of his son.  He lies about stupid shit all the time, for no discernible reason, and he does all of this on a very public stage.  And when he tosses out such lies, he never stops to ponder that whatever he is lying about is far less of a thing than the lie itself (as well as his subsequently being called out on it).

The death of his son - there was absolutely no reason for him to make up the circumstances of how his son died and then say that was why he banned Alex Jones, and there wasn't even a need for him to bring his dead son into the conversation.  None.  He just had to say "Alex Jones used the deaths of children to deliberately harm a lot of innocent parents and the courts reaffirmed that, and I'm not going to give him a platform to continue that."

But Musk couldn't do that, because his followers might get angsty, so he had to give his followers some red meat and make it a personal thing about Musk, so that his followers would say "oh, you know, I like Alex Jones, but for Elon this is personal."

I am mostly inclined to think that Musk has no self-control at all (up to and including $44 billion purchases) as well as a lack of filter on what he says, and toss in that he doesn't surround himself with people who would tell him "no" (and/or he doesn't listen to anybody who tells him that something is a bad idea).

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Your question is why would a billionaire use misinformation, culture war, and propaganda to influence a segment of the US population?  If there isn't an obvious answer to you, then you probably should start consuming more "both sides" journalism.

No, maybe try to read slower this time. Perhaps it'll help your comprehension. What would be the logical reason for simultaneously setting all your businesses and wealth on fire by embracing white supremacy, provably false conspiracy theories, and denying science (IN AS NOTORIOUSLY EXPLICIT MANNER AS POSSIBLE)?  If that doesn't speak "delusional, mentally ill person," I don't know what to tell you. However, I do notice you attempt to whitewash those activities as "culture war" so perhaps that's a huge clue about your own lack of reason, or morality or sanity. Or all of 'em.

edit: Billionaires use misinformation and culture wars and propaganda all the time WITHOUT destroying their reputations and/or businesses. Elmo is not the same as the others. Perhaps you don't grasp that simple point.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

4000 characters? One of the reason I like Twitter over FB is that people can't post whole books there.

He shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of Twitter, why people like Twitter and ultimately a fundamental lack of understanding of social media if he looks at it and says "yeah this should be like every other social media platform"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

4000 characters? One of the reason I like Twitter over FB is that people can't post whole books there.

He shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of Twitter, why people like Twitter and ultimately a fundamental lack of understanding of social media if he looks at it and says "yeah this should be like every other social media platform"

Here's how it appears on Post...you can read more if you want or just bypass it. An important distinction though: Post has this "micro-tip" system so long form writers can post their work directly there and receive tips, if a reader wants to tip 'em. That's the impetus for allowing longer form posts. The need to thread 25 or more tweets together, which sucks in many ways, is eliminated. Also, note, the text and image are much nicer on the site than they are in this cut and paste over here though.

image.thumb.png.84b1ee8a463f7e67c52907802fdfebb5.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Chopper said:

What would be the logical reason for simultaneously setting all your businesses and wealth on fire by embracing white supremacy, provably false conspiracy theories, and denying science

He hasn't publicly embraced white supremacy yet, but the last two, he definitely has, and he's testing the boundaries of his advertisers.

With that said, none of us will be surprised if he starts pushing some junk science about the various races.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He hasn't publicly embraced white supremacy yet

He's disingenuously using "free speech" to provide a platform for the most extreme members of society and providing those same people amplification and special attention on twitter. He strongly and publicly supported Kanye West's antismetic remarks before silently reversing himself. I'm sure there's many more examples I could cite but for me that's enough embracing to call it embracing.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

He's disingenuously using "free speech" to provide a platform for the most extreme members of society and providing those same people amplification and special attention on twitter. He strongly and publicly supported Kanye West's antismetic remarks before silently reversing himself. I'm sure there's many more examples I could cite but for me that's enough embracing to call it embracing.

Fair enough.  I think the Kanye stuff spooked him a bit though, especially when he saw how fast the advertisers bailed on him.

And he did decide to get a platform to the Stormfront founder.

• Hook 'Em 2

His inner circle has a similar viewpoint and squishy politics that tech oligarchs seem to share--I'm thinking shades of Mark Rylance's character from his recent Netflix movie. Without going full CR, from my perspective it's a bit messiah (only I/we can save whatever or whomever they deem worth saving) complex regardless of whether the narcissism exists. The adulation is certainly tied in with that, but it is complicated because there are layers and not only Elon involved in this, IMO. His closest bros aren't just riding his coat-tails for fun--they have their own agenda as well, both with their own 'brand' and also for their own gains in wealth and power.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

No, maybe try to read slower this time. Perhaps it'll help your comprehension. What would be the logical reason for simultaneously setting all your businesses and wealth on fire by embracing white supremacy, provably false conspiracy theories, and denying science?  If that doesn't speak "delusional, mentally ill person," I don't know what to tell you. However, I do notice you attempt to whitewash those activities as "culture war" so perhaps that's a huge clue about your own lack of reason, or morality or sanity. Or all of 'em.

edit: Billionaires use misinformation and culture wars and propaganda all the time WITHOUT destroying their reputations and/or businesses. Elmo is not the same as the others. Perhaps you don't grasp that simple point.

The world doesn’t need to be as simple and emotional as you make it out to be.  Sorting journalism as “both sides” vs whatever or sorting a public figure as “right wing nut job” or whatever, doesn’t add a ton of value. 
I’m not willing to simply wave my hands and dismiss Elon as a mentally ill person acting irrationally and driven by the whims of dopamine.  You can though.  You can point and laugh at the monkey as he does his dance.  That monkey though currently controls one of the major social media sites with outweighted influence over the news and narratives in our society.  
Understanding that culture war is nefariously used by billionaires to sort our politics isnt whitewashing. It is kind of basic politics 101 in today’s society.  It is an an acknowledgment that billionaires and others use it to mask economic realities. That shouldn’t be offensive. 

13 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

That monkey though currently controls one of the major social media sites with outweighted influence over the news and narratives in our society.  

Don't you mean robot?  Oh, you're talking about Musk and twitter, not Zuck and Facebook.

I don't consider twitter to have that much of an influence.  It's certainly popular for news junkies and the media outlets/analysts/pundits/etc. that feed them, but for a significant segment of its user base, it's also a place to shit post and rip off memes.  And people are noticing the bots and the misinformation is ramping up.

The olds are probably still hitting up Facebook, various other media outlets, TV, etc.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

That’ll kill the website 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

The world doesn’t need to be as simple and emotional as you make it out to be.  Sorting journalism as “both sides” vs whatever or sorting a public figure as “right wing nut job” or whatever, doesn’t add a ton of value. 
I’m not willing to simply wave my hands and dismiss Elon as a mentally ill person acting irrationally and driven by the whims of dopamine.  You can though.  You can point and laugh at the monkey as he does his dance.  That monkey though currently controls one of the major social media sites with outweighted influence over the news and narratives in our society.  
Understanding that culture war is nefariously used by billionaires to sort our politics isnt whitewashing. It is kind of basic politics 101 in today’s society.  It is an an acknowledgment that billionaires and others use it to mask economic realities. That shouldn’t be offensive. 

There's no need to be so impressed by someone's wealth that you'd be willing to look past just about anything they do in order to give them the benefit of the doubt and positive reinforcement. There is no method to the madness of spending $48B (or whatever) on Twitter to turn it into a trump social clone just with paid subs. I am not impressed by Elmo's wealth...it means nothing to me.

Also, I accused you of whitewashing. Not "billionaires." You've failed to answer a single, simple question and you just keep posting meaningless drivel and purposely misinterpreting my words and questions. You also mistake simple and emotional for direct, plain speaking.

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?