Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Also never a good idea to show how little you understand about business publicly 

image.thumb.png.eaf386f5530d0f0aeda344ee579eadbe.png

I'm looking for the quote where Elron said, "One year ago bitcoin was at over 46k and today it's below 17k. Tesla has performed much better than bitcoin over the past year proving once again that I'm the very bestest CEO firing all my neural links and creating massive investor value relative to the market." But I can't find it. Must've been deleted.

/jk

If you watched the Aussie mechanic discussing how the Tesla semi would be a big fail, this article provides some confirmation to what he's saying. 

If you wanted to buy the vehicle, you had to sign an NDA. Also the 500 mile range tesla's propaganda promised falls to 100 miles when filled with anything heavier than air. And they've still failed to release any specs about the vehicle even though, supposedly, deliveries have begun. 

Tesla Semis' Range May Fall Drastically When Hauling Things Heavier Than Potato Chips (futurism.com)

/TESLA SEMIS' RANGE MAY FALL DRASTICALLY WHEN HAULING THINGS HEAVIER THAN POTATO CHIPS

"DRAGGING A TRAILER FULL OF CHIPS AROUND IS NOT THE MOST INTENSE, TOUGH ASK."

TESLA/FUTURISM

Range Over

Five years after showing off its Semi truck to the public, Tesla finally started delivering trucks to its customers this month.

But the company has been noticeably quiet about the vehicle since, having yet to reveal the truck's weight capacity when fully loaded, its price, or when the rest of Tesla's customers will actually be able to start using them.

And given the latest news, Tesla may have reasons to be avoiding those questions. After all, the stakes couldn't be higher — a successful rollout of a 500-mile electric semi truck could be a huge win for a company that desperately needs one right now.

Frito Delivery

PepsiCo, which is Tesla's first Semi buyer and plans to roll out 100 Semis next year, is already noticing that the truck's range takes a massive hit when loaded with heavy cargo, something Tesla's critics have long suspected.

A Semi can carry a load of Frito-Lay chips for an impressive 425 miles with battery to spare, for instance. But potato chips in air-filled bags are one of the lightest loads imaginable; for heavier fare such as sodas, PepsiCo is limiting trips to 100 miles with the truck, PepsiCo VP Mike O'Connell told Reuters.

The remarks were somewhat ambiguous, and O'Connell did elaborate that the company is planning to eventually haul beverages in the "400 to 500 mile range as well."

"Dragging a trailer full of chips around is not the most intense, tough ask," Oliver Dixon, senior analyst at consultancy Guidehouse, told the news agency. "I still believe that Tesla has an awful lot to prove to the broader commercial vehicle marketplace."

Questions

To be clear, we still don't know how much weight a Semi can actually carry and what the resulting drop-off in range will actually be — something that Tesla has yet to publicly address.

Tesla maintains its trucks have "can travel up to 500 miles on a single charge," according to its website, a vague statement that leaves us with plenty of questions.

PepsiCo and other customers such as Gatorade have remained tightlipped about the details, likely a result of non disclosure agreements they signed with the EV maker.

But PepsiCo's decision to only complete short trips with heavy loads could be a sign that Tesla may have oversold its 500-mile semi truck.

When it comes to the laws of physics, after all, there's only so much the company can do to electrify the trucking industry.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm looking for the quote where Elron said, "One year ago bitcoin was at over 46k and today it's below 17k. Tesla has performed much better than bitcoin over the past year proving once again that I'm the very bestest CEO firing all my neural links and creating massive investor value relative to the market." But I can't find it. Must've been deleted.

Fire them all at once for maximum efficiency!

• Haha 2

I guess Ian Brown (now at Netflix, formerly ran Twitter’s JVM and performance efforts) dropped into George Hotz’ and Musk’s Twitter Space last night and dropped a hammer on Musk’s claim that, essentially, Twitter’s current codebase/architecture was beyond saving.

Brown pushed back on Elon needing a "total rewrite" of code. Elon is not a good speaker, period. Let me tell you, if I had $Billions I would be getting public speaking lessons until I was an incredible speaker.

Elon: "Who are you?"

Brown: "What do you mean, who am I?"

he has literally no answers - he may have some knowledge but this is absolutely not his area of expertise.

Brown: "What is the (new) stack Elon? take it from top to bottom - what is the stack? ... What is so abnormal about this stack vs every other stack on the planet right now?'

Elon: "..............Amazing, you are a jackass"

the host then said he wanted to keep it civil and he removed Brown from speakers.

this thread is about that space. The Elon thinks they will be breakeven next year blows my mind, literally.

---

Listening to this Twitter Spaces where Elon is talking about the tech stack and it's clear that no one has been in a position to actually ask him a follow up question in years. He thinks he knows everything and simply will not abide someone contradicting that notion.
Right after I sent this he demanded someone be cut off because he was pointing out correctly how ads work on the internet. Literally just said "cut him off"

“You are our philosopher king and Plato would be proud of you.” Amazing shit man.

The other fun tension is that George just wants the full stack refactor at all costs and is like “every new line of code is a sin.” Elon thinks they’ll be breakeven next year bc of cost cuts and subscriber revenue. Otherwise would be -$3B. What if both don’t know anything?

Acknowledges straight up that banning Paul Graham was a mistake. It's so funny because it's clear that he was fine with the policy until it hit a friendly and then the whole thing fell apart. He regrets that PG got banned. The way the policy came up isn't the error to him

Lollll Elon saying that $60M/yr was being spent in intl sms. This is truly hilarious because this actually got us back in the day too. Elon's solution was just to cut off all the telcos with "high fraud" and that of course fucked everyone using SMS 2FA.

I regret to inform you that Infinite Jest made an appearance just before Elon signed off.

More from Jason Goldman:

a full rewrite to add a bunch of stuff users don't want? what is this - digg v4?
Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Can't wait for the numbers of renewals in month 2. For the regular poor hey I can see maybe why it would be fun for a month or two to have the blue check but after you see no returns from it, or you've played out all the gags and pwning you had only dreamt about, why bother renewing?

20 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

image.jpeg.408e7d341cf21b23306a0b70329181e0.jpeg

fuckin kubernetes

K8s so grossly overused and abused when a more simple direct container management solution is usually more than adequate. Hell my whole home tech stack is just orchestrated docker containers, because that's all my Plex server and supporting library containers need. 

I've seen so many businesses and teams get mired in K8s just because that's the fun thing that gets talked about at conferences 

Someone paid thousands just to make this happen:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/21/business/tesla-fsd-8-car-crash

A driver told authorities that their Tesla’s “full-self-driving” software braked unexpectedly and triggered an eight-car pileup in the San Francisco Bay Area last month that led to nine people being treated for minor injuries including one juvenile who was hospitalized, according to a California Highway Patrol traffic crash report.

CNN Business obtained the report detailing the crash through a public records request Wednesday. California Highway Patrol reviewed videos that show the Tesla vehicle changing lanes and slowing to a stop.

California Highway Patrol said in the Dec. 7 report that it could not confirm if “full self-driving” was active at the time of the crash. A highway patrol spokesperson told CNN Business on Wednesday that it would not determine if “full self-driving” was active, and Tesla would have that information.

The crash occurred about lunchtime on Thanksgiving, snarling traffic on Interstate 80 east of the Bay Bridge as two lanes of traffic were closed for about 90 minutes as many people traveled to holiday events. Four ambulances were called to the scene.

The pileup took place just hours after Tesla CEO Elon Musk had announced that Tesla’s driver-assist software “full self-driving” was available to anyone in North America who requested it. Tesla had previously restricted access to drivers with high safety scores on its rating system.
“Full self-driving” is designed to keep up with traffic, steer in the lane and abide by traffic signals. It requires an attentive human driver prepared to take full control of the car at any moment. It’s delighted some drivers but also alarmed others with its limitations. Drivers are warned by Tesla when they install “full self-driving” that it “may do the wrong thing at the worst time.”

The report states that the Tesla Model S was traveling at about 55 mph and shifted into the far left-hand lane, but then braked abruptly, slowing the car to about 20 mph. That led to a chain reaction that ultimately involved eight vehicles to crash, all of which had been traveling at typical highway speeds.

Spoiler

Tesla’s driver-assist technologies, Autopilot and “full self-driving” are already being investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration following reports of unexpected braking that occurs “without warning, at random, and often repeatedly in a single drive.”

The agency has received hundreds of complaints from Tesla drivers. Some have described near crashes and concerns about their safety. This summer NHTSA upgraded the investigation to what it calls an engineering analysis, an indication that it’s seriously considering a recall.

NHTSA told CNN Business a few days after the Thanksgiving Day crash that it was gathering addition information from Tesla and law enforcement about the crash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

image.thumb.png.246977e04d354b70567c083dab2b77c2.png

text

Dec. 21, 2022Updated 4:18 p.m. ET

Spoiler

Production headaches on three continents. Intensifying competition. A plunging share price. And a distracted chief executive seemingly bent on alienating some of the company’s most loyal customers.

A growing list of problems at Tesla, the world’s most valuable car company, is puncturing its mystique as the segment’s technology leader, leading analysts and investors to question whether it can continue to dominate the market for electric vehicles.

At the center of investors’ concern is Elon Musk, the chief executive, whose high-profile purchase of Twitter has overshadowed his Tesla role at a critical moment in the automaker’s relatively short history.

Tesla is straining to ramp up production at new factories in Austin, Texas, and outside Berlin. Covid restrictions and dysfunctional supply chains, a problem for all carmakers, have led to intermittent shutdowns at Tesla’s factory in Shanghai.

As interest rates rise and a global recession looms, demand for Tesla vehicles appears to be slackening. Only a few months ago would-be buyers had to wait months for a new Tesla. Now the cars are available within days, which analysts see as a sign of weaker demand.

Yet Mr. Musk has been preoccupied with Twitter, a company he concedes he bought at an inflated price. Last weekend he asked users of the service in a “poll” whether he should step down as Twitter’s chief executive, saying he would abide by the results. A majority of those responding said yes.

On Tuesday, Mr. Musk said he would resign as chief executive of Twitter “as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job!” But he also said he would continue to manage the team responsible for software and servers.

Managing Tesla “is not a part-time job in these volatile and challenging times,” said Axel Schmidt, a senior managing director at Accenture who oversees the consulting firm’s automotive division.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Musk remains widely admired in the auto industry for the way he proved that battery-powered vehicles could be stylish, fun to drive and profitable. Tesla’s success forced car-making giants like General Motors, Ford Motor and Daimler to answer with their own electric models.

Mr. Musk personifies Tesla as much as Henry Ford once personified the carmaker that bears his name. As co-founder, chief executive and largest shareholder, Mr. Musk is able to make decisions quickly and has built a big lead over traditional carmakers in battery technology and software.

But it is unclear who is minding the store while Mr. Musk tries to remake Twitter. Tesla publishes no management pyramid. The company’s website lists only three top executives: Mr. Musk; Zachary Kirkhorn, the chief financial officer; and Andrew Baglino, a senior vice president responsible for engineering.

Mr. Musk “has such a large personality, the impression is that the company is weak without him and that nothing happens without his approval,” said Garrett Nelson, a senior equity research analyst at CFRA, an investment research firm. (Mr. Nelson added that he disagreed with that view.)

And now that the traditional automakers are selling credible electric vehicles, Tesla no longer has the market to itself.

In the United States, electric vehicles from Ford, General Motors and Hyundai have chipped away at Tesla’s lead. Competition will intensify this year with the introduction of models like the Cadillac Lyriq and the Nissan Ariya.

In China, Tesla faces a stiff challenge from local manufacturers like BYD, which this year stopped making internal combustion models to focus solely on electric vehicles and has surpassed Tesla in the number of cars sold.

In Europe, Volkswagen and its subsidiaries like Audi already sell more electric cars than Tesla, although Tesla’s Model Y and Model 3 remain the most popular all-electric vehicle models.

In an industry that thrives on new products, Tesla has not introduced a new passenger car since the Model Y, a sport utility vehicle, in 2020. The company has promised to begin selling its long-awaited Cybertruck in 2023. But the pickup will arrive long after competing products from Ford, Rivian and General Motors.

Tesla’s share price, down 66 percent at the end of trading Wednesday from the peak in November 2021, dramatizes how swiftly investors have lost faith in both the company and Mr. Musk. On Tuesday alone, the stock fell 8 percent.

The decline partly reflects fear that Mr. Musk will need to sell more chunks of his stake in Tesla to pay for his Twitter takeover. To finance his purchase of the social media site in October for $44 billion, Mr. Musk has sold Tesla stock worth $23 billion, flooding the market and driving down the price. He remains the largest shareholder in Tesla.

The plummeting shares are also a sign that investors no longer believe Mr. Musk’s promises that Tesla will sell 20 million cars a year by 2030, as many as Volkswagen and Toyota together. It was that dream of global dominance that justified Tesla’s $1 trillion valuation. (These days Tesla is worth less than half that.) Mr. Musk suggested on Twitter on Tuesday that the shares had fallen because of rising interest rates and the threat of recession.

Tesla’s new factory outside Berlin produced 3,000 Model Ys last week, the company said Monday on Twitter. But that is well below targets set by Mr. Musk.

Mr. Musk’s behavior running Twitter has been a nonissue in China, by far the largest market for electric vehicles. Like nearly all Western social media platforms, Twitter is blocked in China.

On the contrary, from the perspective of China and the Communist Party, Mr. Musk has been a model foreign executive. In October, Mr. Musk won praise from Chinese officials after suggesting that Taiwan become a special administrative zone of China as a way of ceding more control to Beijing. The comment drew a sharp rebuke from Taipei.

Mr. Musk has always been a mercurial boss, but his management style has vividly been on display since he bought Twitter, where he fired or laid off more than half the staff and demanded that those who remained work “hardcore” hours.

Chaos at Twitter has eroded Mr. Musk’s reputation as a genius, and his incendiary tweets risk alienating potential buyers, who skew left. He has suggested that Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s chief immunologist, be prosecuted, and accused Senator Elizabeth Warren, Democrat of Massachusetts, of harming America after she said he was neglecting his duty to Tesla shareholders.

“There was this kind of aura around Elon Musk that he could do no wrong,” said Taylor Ogan, a hedge fund manager and YouTube presence who has owned three Teslas. “That has finally caught up with him.”

Joya Banerjee, a lead adviser focused on gender-based violence at the humanitarian organization CARE in Washington, looked at a Tesla when she was shopping for an electric vehicle last year. But even before Mr. Musk bought Twitter, she was put off by what she perceived as his ego, sexism and excessive power.

“I couldn’t see my money going to his C.E.O. salary,” she said. Ms. Banerjee bought a Ford Mustang Mach-E instead.

Kenneth Holecko, a retired government human relations manager who lives in Virginia and owns a Tesla, said Mr. Musk’s statements about Dr. Fauci and other topics added to concerns he had about the company’s credibility on matters like safety of its autonomous driving software.

“I’m not going to go out and sell my Tesla because of what’s going on with Twitter,” Mr. Holecko said, “but I would never buy another Tesla.”

Survey data indicate that Mr. Musk’s behavior has hurt Tesla’s brand among liberals, the group most likely to buy electric cars. Tesla’s net favorability rating — the number of people who view the company positively minus those with a negative view — plummeted to 10 percentage points in November from 31 percentage points at the beginning of the year, according to Morning Consult, a research firm.

Tesla’s net favorability rating among Republicans has improved slightly, to 27 percentage points in November from 21 percentage points in August, as Mr. Musk adopted some conservative talking points, according to the firm’s research. But there are unlikely to be enough new Republican Tesla fans to compensate for disaffected Democrats, said Jordan Marlatt, an analyst at Morning Consult.

“Increasingly, Tesla is becoming a pretty partisan brand, and that could have pretty serious implications for Tesla in the future,” Mr. Marlatt said.

Although Tesla still dominates electric vehicle sales in Germany, it has been steadily giving ground to other manufacturers. Mr. Musk’s recent activities on Twitter have been headline news across the country, with Germany’s Foreign Ministry joining the European Union in condemning the deactivating of some journalists’ accounts on Twitter as dangerous to press freedom.

The sour mood surrounding Mr. Musk is beginning to rub off on German drivers, with a clear majority saying his takeover of Twitter has had a negative effect on Tesla’s image, especially among women and among people 50 or older. Nearly half of Germans who are contemplating or actively looking to buy a new car said the Twitter takeover had turned them away from considering a Tesla, according to Puls, a market research firm in Nuremberg, Germany. The firm surveyed 1,010 people in the first weeks of December.

But there are signs that the cutthroat competition in China’s electric vehicle market may be taking a toll. In October, Tesla cut prices for its cars in China by up to 9 percent. The company said it was doing so because production costs had come down.

Tesla’s sales in China through November were 59 percent higher than a year earlier, according to data from the China Passenger Car Association, but that was slower than overall growth of “new energy vehicles” — a category that includes all-electric cars and plug-in hybrids. Sales of these vehicle have doubled, while BYD, the market leader, increased its sales more than threefold.

Tesla has been slower than Chinese rivals to roll out new models and features. Tesla introduced the Model 3 in China almost three years ago and the Model Y about 18 months ago. In China, that lag between new models is an eternity, and an opportunity for rivals.

“The target has always been on Tesla’s back, but now it’s bigger because they seem weaker,” said Tu Le, managing director of the Beijing-based consultancy Sino Auto Insights. “The competitors smell blood.”

image.thumb.png.1a76d96780a9816728d1987378611eae.png

I'm done posting on twitter.  I'm going to make a few pinned posts for my accounts pointing to my websites, and as soon as I set it up properly, my post.news account.  Today, Elon was out there retweeting Russian talking points, pretending that if we give Ukraine, $40 billion, that's $40 billion in cash flowing into the pockets of a corrupt Ukraine and not things like fucking HIMARS and Javelins and M777s that we know are actually being used.

I get it - maybe he's autistic and can't easily discern when somebody is pulling something over on him, he clearly doesn't know how to read a room, he doesn't understand the Constitution and the 1st Amendment, he still doesn't understand that twitter users are the product and advertisers the customer, but he's also retweeting out Russian propaganda to tens of millions of people.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Just when you thought the complete madness and stupidity might slow down.

On the one hand, he's publicly declaring there is a bot problem on twitter and that his poll couldn't be trusted. 

On the other hand, he's claiming that this poll, also by him, also on his platform, should mean something.

Season 3 Drinking GIF by NETFLIX

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm done posting on twitter.  I'm going to make a few pinned posts for my accounts pointing to my websites, and as soon as I set it up properly, my post.news account.  Today, Elon was out there retweeting Russian talking points, pretending that if we give Ukraine, $40 billion, that's $40 billion in cash flowing into the pockets of a corrupt Ukraine and not things like fucking HIMARS and Javelins and M777s that we know are actually being used.

I get it - maybe he's autistic and can't easily discern when somebody is pulling something over on him, he clearly doesn't know how to read a room, he doesn't understand the Constitution and the 1st Amendment, he still doesn't understand that twitter users are the product and advertisers the customer, but he's also retweeting out Russian propaganda to tens of millions of people.

the app/Elon/suggested accounts are all ass cancer at this point. 

It’s way easier than you think to delete and move on. 

image.gif.5f7461536452b35c5c57583eaa332136.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so i'm a tech analyst who has made a decent career out of pretending to understand tech. in reality, i just count things. you can name em what you want. 

but in short, the stack is the software. that's it. it's jargon. if this, then that. blah blah. whatever.

people make a lot of money on that and i wish i understood the nuts and bolts, but i could answer that question better than elon who was more angry at being questioned over his bullshit jargon than anything else. "achieving velocity?" go fuck yourself, nerd. twitter was in fucking orbit as an existing company. the problem isn't the fucking stack itself. it's trying to make the existing stack behave as though it was a wholly new and different fucking stack. 

you colossal fucking egotistical cancer. i used to kind of think this guy was cool when he was launching his roadster into space blasting bowie. that shit was cool in a childish but still kind of cool way. like how they actually fucking shot hunter thompson's ashes out of a fucking cannon. practical? nope. childish? yep. kind of cool? absofuckinglutely. pretending to understand what the stack is? fucking stupid. you're the boss. you don't have to know that shit. stop trying to be everything to everyone. idiot. 

and stop taking the drugs.

i think we found the new title for this thread @OnAComputer

Elon Musk: "achieving velocity?" go fuck yourself, nerd"

that's an amazing line @hayden_horn, seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?