Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Somebody post the spaces exchange where an engineer called him out on his bullshit and instead of actually trying to defend his position (twitter’s tech stack is “crazy” and needs to be completely re-written), he called the engineer a jackass and a moron.

clips of it on some dude's yt show

and a thread about it

• Haha 2

You have to wonder if the folks in that Spaces realize that purely by asking him tough questions in a somewhat confrontational way has the effect of reducing his net worth by billions?

Investors/analysts tune into these with horror.

Teslas Board being asleep at the wheel will be another one of the MBA case studies used for decades.

Just incredible levels of sheer incompetence at the top.

• Hook 'Em 4

Also worth mentioning the striking similarity between our former divider-in-chief and Elmo with regards to their need to be surrounded by Yes Men and remove any notion of accountability or checks and balances on their power.

Runaway narcissism has dangerous consequences. I don’t think we can quite predict the fallout of Elmo’s yet.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Also worth mentioning the striking similarity between our former divider-in-chief and Elmo with regards to their need to be surrounded by Yes Men and remove any notion of accountability or checks and balances on their power.
Runaway narcissism has dangerous consequences. I don’t think we can quite predict the fallout of Elmo’s yet.

So much this. We are living in an era of Peak Narcissism (see Strauss-Howe). The actions, and results, are both predictable and thoroughly predicted.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ll give Elon this: he’s a much better con man and grifter than the divider in chief. At one time in early 2022 before the Tesla stock started to plummet, the value of the vested stock options he extracted from Tesla in 2018 was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $90-$100 billion.   That compensation package was approved in 2018 by a shareholder vote as he vaguely threatened to leave to devote his attention to his other bullshit companies like the fake subway tunnel scam.

You may ask why he needed a compensation package that dwarfs what every other executive in history has ever received and that significantly diluted all the stockholders, or why he needed to be dissuaded from abandoning Tesla when he was already the largest shareholder and had staked his fortune and reputation to the company, etc.  You may ask that because you’re not a cultist fanboy.  

But he has a knack for accumulating cultist fanboys, and man, he is definitely in the “go big or go home” mindset when it comes to milking them.  No mail order steaks or NFTs or fake universities from that guy.  He asks for an extra 10% of a publicly traded company’s market cap - and they give it to him.

And, of course, you could easily argue the shareholders benefitted from the arrangement - at least for a while, and if they were smart enough to sell high.  Tesla’s market cap doesn’t balloon if not for the cult of Elon buying the bullshit that he was going to somehow solve climate change, monopolize the EV market, invent the robo taxi, etc.  But, in the meantime, he’s cashed in and sold tens of billions of dollars worth of those options while the stock was soaring, and a whole lot of investors are going to be holding a bag now that reality is setting in.  Hope you didn’t buy in at $400 per share.

yeah, you big idiots.

/aguywhoboughtgmeat$250andstillownsit

it's truly bizarre how he conned so many.

53 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

At one time in early 2022 before the Tesla stock started to plummet, the value of the vested stock options he extracted from Tesla in 2018 was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $90-$100 billion.

I did quick math/round numbers on what the article in post #7476 by @Francisco 2.0 says about his current option and uncollateralized (as of 3/31) holdings:  

image.thumb.png.73ba5c1ed8ff2ee247c007461025c243.png

that's basically $17B which is just unbelievable. If the value of TSLA shares falls to $100 that's still $13B net, pre-tax.  

The percent of his collateralized shares back in March was 60% of his total.  That left 43 million shares uncollateralized however a large portion of those must have been used as collateral for the purchase of Twitter. At today's share value those 43 million uncollateralized shares are worth approximately $5.3B but back before he purchased Twitter, they would have been worth ~$9.7B based on an estimated $225 price per share.

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this other than, Goddamn that handpicked Tesla BOD sure is generous with Elron the Fraud. 

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, you big idiots.

/aguywhoboughtgmeat$250andstillownsit

it's truly bizarre how he conned so many.

Much like with Bitcoin, I can sit outside of the cultdom and still try and game out how to make money on this. And much like with Bitcoin, I do think TSLA will sell off to a point where it makes sense to buy it and realize a profit. The literal million dollar question is: at what price? I've been contemplating this for weeks and gotten nowhere.

That said, the truly bizarre thing to me was Tesla being a status symbol the last few years. Most of them are not attractive and at the entry level model they aren't even hard to acquire. I think the base price is the same as a base price with like a bare bones Acura or a slightly modified Honda Accord. A model 3 is not signaling to anyone you have any sort of wealth and it certainly doesn't symbolize style as they are ugly, so I never understood how people thought how owning a Model 3 was a compelling event.

I think with legacy car manufacturers figuring out the EV game (and from what I understand Elon is owed a debt of gratitude for that, if you believe his making his code/IP open source to others was helpful and if you think EV provides a more sustainable future), the Tesla products on the low end at least, are even less attractive.

A guy in my neighborhood got his F-150 Lightning a couple months ago-- now THAT is an impressive and attractive vehicle. Also sucks because the price is up 40% from when I got on the list to get one two years ago.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

A guy in my neighborhood got his F-150 Lightning a couple months ago-- now THAT is an impressive and attractive vehicle.

That 80s-throwback Cybertruck is just absolute dogshit.  It’s not attractive to current truck owners, and it’s not attractive to current Tesla owners, so I don’t know who the fuck the market is other than maybe a few thousand people who were looking for an EV that came out of some B-Grade 1980s movie about the future.  If he was going for some kind of Bladerunner inspiration, he failed miserably.

Musk is a very useful idiot to plenty of people, both within and without the tech bro culture, and what is sometimes attributed to some kind of bullshit genius on his part could be somebody manipulating him.  When I hear about the sweetheart deals he got with Tesla, I’m thinking there were one or more people also getting sweetheart deals, but he drew the spotlight away from their deals.

The fact that he is constantly making decisions based on internet polls on a bot-ridden service he owns (where he comments on the amount of bots) or advice from internet randos shows how insecure he is (not quite the alpha male that has a grip on everything) and also that he is constantly seeking some kind of validation.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this other than, Goddamn that handpicked Tesla BOD sure is generous with Elron the Fraud. 

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Musk is a very useful idiot to plenty of people, both within and without the tech bro culture, and what is sometimes attributed to some kind of bullshit genius on his part could be somebody manipulating him.  When I hear about the sweetheart deals he got with Tesla, I’m thinking there were one or more people also getting sweetheart deals, but he drew the spotlight away from their deals.

I think I read the average compensation for people sitting on S&P 500 corporate boards is roughly $300K a year. The current chairwomen of the board is some broad Aussie broad.

Robyn Denholm’s sales

Denholm’s filings over the last two years do not mention any trading plan. She has sold nearly 412,000 shares of Tesla on a split-adjusted basis, leaving her with the same stake of 5,000 Tesla shares that she had two years ago just before shares started their rise.

The shares that she held came from exercising stock options that cost her a fraction of their market value, generating a $200 million profit. She would have done much better hanging onto the shares she acquired and immediately sold, which would have been worth $438 million.

Two years (2020-2021)- $200 mil. I'm guessing everybody on the board probably gave him oral just to guarantee they didn't get booted off the gravy train. 

Robyn Denholm, A Chairwoman Co-driver for Elon Musk at Tesla — Anne of  Carversville

• Hook 'Em 1

Two years (2020-2021)- $200 mil. I'm guessing everybody on the board probably gave him oral just to guarantee they didn't get booted off the gravy train. 
Robyn+Denholm+Tesla+Chairwoman-2.jpg

I mean….I’d blow Elon for $200 million. It would be a quality beej, too. I wouldn’t want there to be any questions about whether I kept up my end of the deal.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Published transcript of the direct and cross of elron at the DE Chancery Court hearing on the suit filed regarding his overly generous compensation. Cross begins about a quarter of the way down the page.

Elon Musk’s giant payday on trial: everything he said in court - The Verge

Haven't read the entire cross yet but it started off about as awkward as it could have for elron.

Plaintiffs’ lawyer, Attorney Greg Varallo: Mr. Musk, welcome back to Delaware. Nice to see you again. I hope your travels weren’t too difficult, and I appreciate your giving us this time today. I know you’re occupied in many different directions.

Elon Musk: Yes, I might be a little slower than otherwise since I flew in overnight on a red-eye, so...

Q. I appreciate it. You are the Technoking of Tesla; is that right, sir?

A. Among other things.

Q. And you came up with that title yourself; correct?

A. Yes.

Q. And, for the record, you were stone-cold sober when you came up with the record — with the title; right?

A. Yes.

Q. And Tesla filed an 8-K announcing that appointment because you wanted to follow the process required for a title change. Is that also true, sir?

A. Well, it was more of a title increment, but yes.

Q. And you didn’t consult with the board before giving yourself the new title; right?

A. No, I believe we did consult with the board.

Q. Well, you recall giving your deposition in this case, don’t you, sir?

A. Yes.

Q. Down in Austin, we had a lovely day together, you watched a SpaceX launch, it was a great day. Remember that?

A. Yes.

Q. And you swore to tell the truth in that deposition; is that right?

A. Yes. That doesn’t mean my memory is perfect, but yes.

Q. You did your very best to tell the truth; correct?

A. Correct.

Q. Let’s watch a clip from that deposition, if we can. Counsel, page 25, lines 13 through 16.

(A video clip was played as follows:)

Question: Did you consult with the board about the new title before — before filing it on 8-K? Answer: No, but it was communicated to the board. I think with Zach and Bill Berry, and yeah.

Q. Did I ask that question, did you give that answer at your deposition, sir?

A. I think that the — the point is the board was talked to before it was filed.

Q. My question, sir, was did you consult with the board before giving yourself the title?

A. Before formally giving myself the title, yes, of course.

Q. Okay. So you were just wrong in your deposition?

A. Correct, I was wrong.

Q. Got it. And I take it you did not submit any errata sheet to your deposition correcting it; is that true?

A. Yes.

Q. You’ve described the role of Technoking as sort of like a monarch and similar to the role of CEO, but more technologically oriented with more panache than the CTO role and as something that comes with great dance moves and sick beats. Is that true?

A. I mean, I think comedy is legal.

Edited by Chopper

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

I think I read the average compensation for people sitting on S&P 500 corporate boards is roughly $300K a year. The current chairwomen of the board is some broad Aussie broad.

Robyn Denholm, A Chairwoman Co-driver for Elon Musk at Tesla — Anne of  Carversville

Here’s a quarter. Go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face.

- Uncle Buck

• Hook 'Em 2

VW, Ford, Chevy, etc. don’t even have to be as good, just cheaper and mostly as good.  And I’d argue that some of Tesla’s strengths (potential FSD, etc.) won’t even matter. The major automakers are not going to throw FSD into their cheapest EVs,  but they will throw in things like lane assist, auto-breaking, etc., and the costs of developing software to help with more driving functions will be spread out amongst so many more millions of cars (including ICE which is happening now) versus Tesla’s tiny market share.

And the major automakers have the logistics chains, marketing, design people, etc. that Tesla doesn’t .

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Anyone making an argument that implicitly asks “if Apple did this, why can’t company x?” isn’t doing a good enough job of answering that question.

As somebody who was using a smartphone (Palm and Pocket PC) years before the iPhone came out, I fully agree.  It’s like that whole class of devices didn’t exist prior to the iPhone for many people.

I get why so many think Apple invented smartphones, and it’s a combination of Apple marketing, Steve Jobs’ RDF, and the fact that they were a niche until Apple made them popular and trendy.  As a prior smartphone user, it seemed like it was mostly engineering, business, and a few legal types, so they weren’t being used where all the cool kids could see them.  Apple got them into the hands of soccer moms and college kids, and Tesla ain’t doing that.

Tesla’s problem in that regard is that if you consider them to be the iPhone of the EV market, their market share is declining fast over time with no plan on addressing that (can’t replace Teslas ever year like a phone), and instead of facing off against Android, they are facing off against 4-5 Androids, with some having much better features and looking far sexier.

Oh, and Tesla has Musk out there doing his thing, which doesn’t help.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

much better features

Not just features. It's build integrity and repair access. I have seen and heard way too many horror stories of bad builds and a clusterfuck to get parts for the repairs. Those two issues alone are enough to keep me from considering any of their products until I see otherwise.

The reports that PepsiCo can't haul drinks for more than 100 miles and only lightweight but bulky stuff like Fritos for the alleged 500 miles and that they had to sign an NDA to get the trucks compound this problem for me.

Headlines of Consumer Reports roasting them also does not instill in me a sense of confidence.

That's before the consideration of where the money is going. I can't fall back on feeling good about an upstart car company sticking it to the man and overlook all the problems. His abominable behavior as the boss of his companies precludes any goodwill he might have gotten from me.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

The reports that PepsiCo can't haul drinks for more than 100 miles and only lightweight but bulky stuff like Fritos for the alleged 500 miles and that they had to sign an NDA to get the trucks compound this problem for me.

Can you imagine a legit car or truck company releasing a new product but refusing to release its specs? Only fucking Tesla because they're run by a con monkey.

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Not at all bitter about failing to earn a degree on his own, and having to have his friend bribe the school so elron could get a piece of paper.

image.thumb.png.dcaf8a19016f641338718736816b77d6.png

This evil?

I’m sure he’s spending Christmas surrounded by all of his children reminiscing on the most important thing in life:

Lib tears

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Backstory? I hadn't heard this.

So this twitter thread was posted here a few weeks ago. .

The way I figured out which twitter thread the info came from was through a search and finding this article which is based on the thread and possibly has some additional information.

Does Elon Musk Have an Undergraduate Degree In Physics? (msn.com)

• Hook 'Em 5

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?