Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

5 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Elon is losing it b/c he paid $44B for Twitter, thinking it was the most important thing in the world, and is pissed to find out that it just isn't. 

he also spent a couple of months shitting on it at every single opportunity to anyone who can or would listen...then found out that he should have listened to lawyers and his agreement to buy it was pretty ironclad.

13 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Elon is losing it b/c he paid $44B for Twitter, thinking it was the most important thing in the world, and is pissed to find out that it just isn't. 

Well, when the entire "OH MY GOD WHAT A SCANDAL!" story amounts to....."entity that had a policy against posting hacked nudes follows that policy by refusing to post what appeared to be hacked nudes," that's what happens.  Well, that, and humiliating all of the MAGA types by them openly admitting that the most important piece of information in the world to them is....pictures of Hunter Biden's ginormous dong.

The self-owning only continues to accelerate, in defiance of all known laws of physics.  Pretty soon.....

spaceballs-plaid.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The age cohort groups are discussed in generalities. Gen X people grew up thinking that the Baby Boomers and Hippies were dumb. They remember a time when the internet was new. They are invested in pop culture like alternative rock or movies like The Matrix and make many references to the culture of the time. I have too many Gen-Xers in my feeds and they are either very receptive/understanding of Musk or some even buy the entire bill of goods he is selling with the twitter files. The gen-x dudes on my local sports talk radio station even took time from their show to call the guy "smart"  before I changed the station recently.

Full gen xer here - 1968 vintage.

I lived through disco and Family Ties (would have killed every one of you for 5 min with Justine Bateman) and Nirvana (Alice in Chains was much better) and Tarantino. I thought hippies were cool, mostly because their ideals seemed to make way more sense than the southern Baptist cult I grew up in. (As in most cases though, actual humans usually screw up great ideals).

Have always thought elron was a prima donna who was likely to be his own worst enemy and crash and burn at some point, though he did put a pretty cool car on the market.

My point is be careful with generational generalizations. I know they’re easy to feel good about but not always as accurate at explaining behaviors as people seem to think. I’m pretty sure you’ll think I’m wrong and stupid because I’m “old”. So be it I guess.

But the thing that I have learned over more than a few years observing humans on this planet is that the fundamental aspects of human nature never really change. Situations and circumstances do but people are the same - usually guided by whatever combination of pride, greed, arrogance, insecurity, humility, etc they got wired with. And it spans generations. If you listen, most people will tell you pretty quickly who they are.

Anyone paying attention could tell early on Elon is an overly arrogant immature child early on. Some grow up, he doesn’t appear to be doing so. For those that can’t see that, good luck with your confusing life I guess.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

fetch mean girls GIF

The reason that "The twitter files" are being ignored by the media is because they aren't coming from an unbiased source. They are coming from Musk himself and they are heavily curated. If he gave this whole data dump to the media, they would be all over it with a find toothed comb, they might find something. But he's run these out through a filter and came up with ... nothing.

Oh, there is a "secret cabal" that is letting your know what they see. No, it's the CEO, Legal and Trust & Safety making moderation decisions. It's what social media companies do.

He hasn't pushed out any sort of journalism and it's ignored because there isn't anything there to be seen.

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The reason that "The twitter files" are being ignored by the media is because they aren't coming from an unbiased source. They are coming from Musk himself and they are heavily curated. If he gave this whole data dump to the media, they would be all over it with a find toothed comb, they might find something. But he's run these out through a filter and came up with ... nothing.

Oh, there is a "secret cabal" that is letting your know what they see. No, it's the CEO, Legal and Trust & Safety making moderation decisions. It's what social media companies do.

He hasn't pushed out any sort of journalism and it's ignored because there isn't anything there to be seen.

in hindsight he should have just paid $$$ to someone to redact personal info and released it wikileaks style in some huge data dump. he has the money, he could have afforded the cost to redact and host.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

in hindsight he should have just paid $$$ to someone to redact personal info and released it wikileaks style in some huge data dump. he has the money, he could have afforded the cost to redact and host.

Yeah, instead he outright targeted people. The former head of trust and safety was forced to leave his home due to threats of violence due to Musk's behavior/tweets

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/tech/twitter-files-yoel-roth/index.html

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

There's literally nothing scandalous in the twitter files. Zip zero zilch. Even when run through elron's bogus filtration/spin machine. That's why they're being ignored. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

He even smokes weed like an inept poser tryhard trying hard to make the cool kids like them. 

He’s the loser that claims he was a party animal back in the day, but has never once in his life woken up covered in somebody else’s vomit and a third person’s piss.  Hell, he’s such a lightweight, he’s probably never even woken up covered in his own vomit or piss.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

He could have,  but HE needed to be in charge of it, and HE needed it to slant a certain way to get his fanbois excited, , and HE needed to be the one to announce it, because the attention has to be on HIM.  He wanted some kind of validation for whatever he believes in, and he wanted to justify it to his fanbois as some super sekrut cabal was operating Twitter because some dumbshit like Joe Rogan or Alex Jones said it must be so.  And Musk needed scapegoats and a distraction for why he managed to drive away advertisers, bring back white supremacists and Qanon idiots, etc.

All he did was make the experience worse for a lot of us, with shittier ads, broken crap, shitting on the people who did the blue check process before he made it pay-to-play, and diluting the whole blue check process, and bringing in people none of us wanted to be around.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

gen-x-memes-13-1574866299450.jpg

That one hurts.

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Science says you have tiny balls. 

A Pro-Publica article published this morning exposed a OH county deputy sheriff who conspired with his county prosecutor to slip junk science into the court room - a way by which he could supposedly determine if 911 callers were guilty of the crime they were calling 911 to report. Your science is much more credible. So much so, an outfit like Pro-Publica would never be able to discredit it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

The age cohort groups are discussed in generalities. Gen X people grew up thinking that the Baby Boomers and Hippies were dumb. They remember a time when the internet was new. They are invested in pop culture like alternative rock or movies like The Matrix and make many references to the culture of the time. I have too many Gen-Xers in my feeds and they are either very receptive/understanding of Musk or some even buy the entire bill of goods he is selling with the twitter files. The gen-x dudes on my local sports talk radio station even took time from their show to call the guy "smart"  before I changed the station recently.

There's plenty of Gen X people on this thread that call out Rocketboi for being a dumbass.

What's your point?

I was scrolling through Josh Marshall's Ukraine list and noticed Bill Cosby was trending. Clicked on it to see if he died. But instead I found a hooker ad. 4th tweet from the top of a trending topic.

image.thumb.png.aa9d8e2741e8b688e6fa06cb13cf3b75.png

the country code traces to Indonesia and I think I read they just made sex outside marriage punishable by death, or perhaps not quite that harsh, so I don't recommend calling the number.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I was scrolling through Josh Marshall's Ukraine list and noticed Bill Cosby was trending. Clicked on it to see if he died. But instead I found a hooker ad. 4th tweet from the top of a trending topic.

image.thumb.png.aa9d8e2741e8b688e6fa06cb13cf3b75.png

the country code traces to Indonesia and I think I read they just made sex outside marriage punishable by death, or perhaps not quite that harsh, so I don't recommend calling the number.

So....what you're saying is....we should text her first.

Good thinking.

• Haha 6

dude is tweeting through it at all hours

FlGPKrZaMAAmL-h?format=png&name=smallFlGPOv7aYAIX2Uv?format=png&name=small

here are his like times based on another tweet from same lady

FlIGwAEacAAQAov?format=png&name=small

dude is going to drop dead of an aneurysm in the middle of the night trying to send a tweet or like some pseudo intellectual post that was stolen from /r/iam13andthisisdeep/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

dude is going to drop dead of an aneurysm in the middle of the night trying to send a tweet or like some pseudo intellectual post that was stolen from /r/iam13andthisisdeep/

That's one hell of a bender. Or a manic episode. Either way, holy fuckballs

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, NoName said:

"Starting tomorrow, we are removing time stamps from Tweets, because they can be used as assassination-time coordinates tracking when I am awake"

-Musk, probably.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, hornian said:

Elon all in on easily verified misinformation about Covid conspiracies, pretty par for the course. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Not a day goes by where Musk doesn’t make you think “he really is that fucking stupid.”

when something is easily disprovable by the first google result, you are just being a moron.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-170254166936

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

when something is easily disprovable by the first google result, you are just being a moron.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-170254166936

What’s the point of being that wealthy and having space and car companies if you’re just going to sit around on Twitter chatting with incels?

Say what you want about Jeff Bezos, but he’s doing the  insanely wealthy shit most of us would be doing.

• Hook 'Em 8

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s the loser that claims he was a party animal back in the day, but has never once in his life woken up covered in somebody else’s vomit and a third person’s piss.  Hell, he’s such a lightweight, he’s probably never even woken up covered in his own vomit or piss.

He’s the guy who wasn’t invited to the party but shows up anyways. They let him inside because he brings a ton of mediocre beer and everyone is too drunk to pass up free beer. Elon then proceeds to go around the entire room to every single person holding a can of his beer and announces to them how he is the savior of the party who brought this beer, and it is the best beer in the world because the cashier who sold it to him said so. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Elon has figured out how to save money, folks:  force employees to bring their own toilet paper to the office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/29/technology/twitter-elon-musk.html

Elon Musk’s orders were clear: Close the data center.

Early on Christmas Eve, members of the billionaire’s staff flew to Sacramento — the site of one of Twitter’s three main computing storage facilities — to disconnect servers that had kept the social network running smoothly. Some employees were worried that losing those servers could cause problems, but saving money was the priority, according to two people who were familiar with the move but not authorized to talk about it.

The data center shutdown was one of many drastic steps Mr. Musk has undertaken to stabilize Twitter’s finances. Over the past few weeks, Twitter had stopped paying millions of dollars in rent and services, and Mr. Musk had told his subordinates to renegotiate those agreements or simply end them. The company has stopped paying rent at its Seattle office, leading it to face eviction, two people familiar with the matter said. Janitorial and security services have been cut, and in some cases employees have resorted to bringing their own toilet paper to the office.

Mr. Musk bought the social network for $44 billion in late October, saddling it with debt that will require him to pay about $1 billion in interest annually. Speaking on a live forum on Twitter last week, Mr. Musk compared the company to a “plane that is headed towards the ground at high speed with the engines on fire and the controls don’t work.” Twitter was on track to have a “negative cash flow situation” of about $3 billion in 2023, he said, citing a depressed advertising environment and increased costs, like the debt payments.

“That’s why I spent the last five weeks cutting costs like crazy,” he said.

Spoiler

Those cuts may be yielding consequences. On Wednesday, users around the world reported service interruptions with Twitter. Some were logged out, while others encountered error messages while visiting the website. Twitter has not explained what caused the temporary outage. Three people familiar with the company’s infrastructure said that if the Sacramento facility had still been operating, it could have helped alleviate the problem by providing backup computing capacity when other data centers failed.

Twitter, which has eliminated its communications department, and Mr. Musk did not respond to a request for comment.

Although he has said he will appoint a new chief executive at Twitter, Mr. Musk remains closely involved at the social networking firm even as problems crop up at his electric vehicle company, Tesla. And his tight control of the daily management of Twitter calls into question just how much power he would cede to a new chief, who would inherit a bare-bones business that he still owns.

Since early November, Mr. Musk has sought to save about $500 million in nonlabor costs, according to an internal document seen by The New York Times. He has also laid off or fired nearly 75 percent of the company’s work force since completing the purchase.

During the live forum on Twitter last week, Mr. Musk said Twitter had “a little over 2,000 people.” The discussion occurred shortly after he laid off about 50 people, mainly from the company’s infrastructure division. Last week, he cut half of the public policy team’s 30 employees.

Cost-cutting has been overseen by Steve Davis, the head of Mr. Musk’s tunneling start-up, the Boring Company, and Jared Birchall, the head of the billionaire’s family office. Twitter managers who didn’t lose their jobs in mass layoffs last month have been told to approach their spending with a tactic known as “zero-based budgeting,” or operating under the assumption that spending should start at nothing and teams should justify individual costs, according to the costs-savings document.

Mr. Davis has directed Twitter employees to delay paying various contractors or vendors and try to negotiate those bills to smaller amounts, according to two people familiar with his instructions. The cost of one of the company’s largest contracts, with the consulting megafirm Deloitte, has been a point of particular concern for Twitter’s leadership, which wants to reduce the fees the company pays for security, tax preparation and other services, the two people said. The company has skipped payments to KPMG, an accounting and consulting firm that had been working on matters related to compliance with the Federal Trade Commission, they said.

While missed payments to those firms have now been paid, according to a person familiar with the expenditures, it’s unclear if the company will retain their services beyond this year. Representatives for Deloitte and KPMG did not respond to requests for comment.

The company missed payments to and then renegotiated its contract with Carrot, a benefits provider for fertility services including egg and sperm freezing and in vitro fertilization, according to two people close to the company. On Thursday, Carrot notified Twitter employees that the fertility benefit amount would be halved in the new year. A representative for Carrot did not respond to requests for comment.

Last week, Twitter got rid of the cleaning staff at its New York offices and 10 people from corporate security, signaling that it may close one of its two buildings there, said two people familiar with the move.

At Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters, where the company has missed rent payments, Mr. Musk has done the same, consolidating workers onto two floors and closing four. He also canceled janitorial services this month, after those workers went on strike for better wages.

That has left the office in disarray. With people packed into more confined spaces, the smell of leftover takeout food and body odor has lingered on the floors, according to four current and former employees. Bathrooms have grown dirty, these people said. And because janitorial services have largely been ended, some workers have resorted to bringing their own rolls of toilet paper from home.

Mr. Musk’s erratic and hands-on style has thrown off a number of workers, as he often interrupts meetings seemingly at random, talking for long stretches and asking some top leaders to be sounding boards for his ideas, two people familiar with his management of Twitter said.

He has also asked some leaders to snuff out the sources of leaks to the press and anonymous posts on social media sites, three people said, and is focused on eliminating people inside the company he believes are opposed to him.

Workers expect more layoffs. Because the sales staff was cut less than other teams in earlier rounds of dismissals, some people anticipate further cuts to the division. U.S. revenue numbers continue to flag, with advertising revenue down significantly over the first week of December compared with where it was one year ago, two people said.

Despite the steep cuts, Mr. Musk has continued to spend in some areas. Twitter has hired several new employees in recent weeks, replacing workers who were terminated during mass layoffs in November.

But the training process for new employees has been significantly reduced, cutting to 90 minutes what was once three days of orientation that included information on compliance with privacy and security agreements with global regulators, three people said. In one case, a new hire contacted a former employee on LinkedIn to get an understanding of how services worked at the company, according to the former worker.

Mr. Musk has also brought in dozens of engineers from his other companies, including Tesla and SpaceX, to work at Twitter. While Tesla engineers are not on Twitter’s payroll, the automaker has billed the social media firm for some of their services as if they were contractors, according to documents seen by a former Twitter manager.

Those who have been brought in recently, according to a document seen by The Times, include Omead Afshar, one of Mr. Musk’s right-hand men, who previously oversaw the construction of Tesla’s factory in Austin, Texas, and is now, Bloomberg reported, a vice president at SpaceX. Mr. Afshar did not respond to a request for comment.

Some human resources and other employees have agreements to stay until January or February to help the transition to Mr. Musk’s ownership before leaving, two people familiar with the department said.

The shutdown of the Sacramento data center, known as SMF1, set off alarm bells at Twitter, with employees being summoned to work on Christmas Eve as internal systems went down, according to Slack messages viewed by The Times. While users did not experience any immediate disruptions to the social network, three people who used to work on the company’s infrastructure called Mr. Musk’s moves reckless, potentially leading to the loss of internal data and about 30 percent of the company’s computing power that could be needed in times of high site traffic.

Mr. Musk tweeted that Twitter remained online, “even after I disconnected one of the more sensitive server racks.” That evening, the system Twitter uses to triage reports of illegal and harmful content went offline briefly, according to an internal message written by Ella Irwin, the company’s head of trust and safety.

“All agent tools are down,” she said of the system.

• Haha 4

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?