Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, NoName said:

somehow he is an even worse dancer than he looked like he was in the last clip

the guy on the left is enjoying himself

Bad look for a guy that is calling it a moral issue that people want to WFH. 

Though, that head bob thing - I can't tell if he's drunk or just white.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Oh that's good...my thought was they're going to get a huge number of dmca take-down notices, and perhaps lawsuits when they don't acknowledge them or even move fast enough. I don't know enough about the cost of storage. But I do recall elmo deciding they had too many servers and closing down at least one of their server farms at the beginning of his reign. Probably didn't leave himself much room for error.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Bad look for a guy that is calling it a moral issue that people want to WFH. 

Though, that head bob thing - I can't tell if he's drunk or just white.

Looks like he's having a great night and rollin hard. Exactly what you'd hope to see from the owner of hundreds of billions of American economic output and the careers of millions. 

It's not like he's working on any major problems or issues with any of his companies right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Oh that's good...my thought was they're going to get a huge number of dmca take-down notices, and perhaps lawsuits when they don't acknowledge them or even move fast enough. I don't know enough about the cost of storage. But I do recall elmo deciding they had too many servers and closing down at least one of their server farms at the beginning of his reign. Probably didn't leave himself much room for error.

i am assuming they never fixed their automated copyright system since folks are still uploading full movies.

also, shocking no one, Elon doesn't under DMCA at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

i am assuming they never fixed their automated copyright system since folks are still uploading full movies.

also, shocking no one, Elon doesn't under DMCA at all.

Turns out, it takes a fuckload of compute power to scan user uploads for copyright infringement. YouTube streamlines quite a bit of it by including the scanning during their ingest and reencoding process, but I'd betcha elmos solution is not as feature rich

• Haha 1

RE: uploading videos.

Turns out, video files do not necessarily have to be "video".  They can be data storage for, well, most anything. It's not the most efficient means of cloud storage, but for $8 a month, the price cannot be beat.  Case in point; people have been using YouTube for this:

https://hackaday.com/2023/02/21/youtube-as-infinite-file-storage/

Explanation for Nerds:

Spoiler

The principle behind this is pretty simple. All files are made of bytes and bytes can be interpreted as numbers ranging from 0-255. This number can be represented with pixels using one of two modes: RGB or binary.

RGB: The cooler mode. Every byte perfectly fits inside one of the colors of an rgb pixel. One rgb pixel can contain 3 bytes at a time. You just keep adding pixels like this until you run out of data. It is leagues more efficient and quick than binary.

Binary: Born from YouTube compression being absolutely brutal. RGB mode is very sensitive to compression as a change in even one point of one of the colors of one of the pixels dooms the file to corruption. Black and white pixels are a lot harder to mess up. Every pixel is either bright representing a 1 or dark representing a 0. We string these bits together to get bytes and continue until we run out of data.

Both of these modes can be corrupted by compression, so we need to increase the size of the pixels to make it less compressable. 2x2 blocks of pixels seem to be good enough in binary mode.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

It's a good thing he's spent the last few months gutting Twitter's infrastructure before implementing something that will put a big strain on their network.  This is gonna go very smoothly.

Yeah, the stuff that is showing up on Twitter since the announcement is , uh, yeah.  Anyway, he seems like a total idiot for allowing this.  Good.

As for him going to a rave and partying, we would all be better if he just did this instead of what he's up to today.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Chopper said:

They are not DMCA take-down notices, they are infringements up on Free Speech!

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

As for him going to a rave and partying, we would all be better if he just did this instead of what he's up to today.

Tesla shareholders would be so lucky.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, the stuff that is showing up on Twitter since the announcement is , uh, yeah.  Anyway, he seems like a total idiot for allowing this.  Good.

keep in mind that as of the Tucker Carlson announcement, their video player had no way to save your place when you left the page - so you leave or refresh the page and start over at 0:00. i think they also had no way to inject ads into the videos that were uploaded.

it's a trash video platform, truly.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

keep in mind that as of the Tucker Carlson announcement, their video player had no way to save your place when you left the page - so you leave or refresh the page and start over at 0:00. i think they also had no way to inject ads into the videos that were uploaded.

it's a trash video platform, truly.

"adding new features in a couple of weeks!"

-Elon, allegedly.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Exactly - this is what we WANT billionaires to do with their lives. 

100%.  It should be all raves, two-chicks-at-the-same-time, parties on yachts, ostentatious fishing and hunting safaris, caviar-eaten-out-of-the-navels of supermodels, buying a sports franchise and living vicariously through the feats of men much more athletic than you, that sort of shit.  

I mean, that's what WE'D all be doing.  Right?

EDIT: fine, I understand that some of y'all aren't that into fishing and hunting.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

100%.  It should be all raves, two-chicks-at-the-same-time, parties on yachts, ostentatious fishing and hunting safaris, caviar-eaten-out-of-the-navels of supermodels, buying a sports franchise and living vicariously through the feats of men much more athletic than you, that sort of shit.  

EDIT: fine, I understand that some of y'all aren't that into fishing and hunting.

It worked so well for Bob Lee

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bob-lee-stabbing-sex-drugs-lifestyle-san-francisco-5a7da970

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I mean this is basically me except I'm 49 and I wear linen capris with out a shirt or shoes

I'll bet you don't put on a pillsbury doughboy costume either, since you don't even bother with the high heels.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

Cool....a new place to link to every single 2 hr long deranged Youtube conspiracy theory video that looks like this but makes even less sense:

charlie-day.jpeg?w=500

Wonderful.  The world will surely be a better place for it.

Two hours is way too long for these guys. They just need a few minutes from inside their vehicles to spew the latest round of nonsense.

image.png.0f2ab17afc8713e9a5e39cc53af18548.png

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Two hours is way too long for these guys. They just need a few minutes from inside their vehicles to spew the latest round of nonsense.

image.png.0f2ab17afc8713e9a5e39cc53af18548.png

i was trying to explain these guys to my wife and it didn't make sense because i didn't have the photo go to with it, thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Buying a sports franchise is one of the great legal tax scams in existence so I'd feel obliged but other than running my business until it was at a great place to exit, my life would be structured to avoid as many annoyances and obligations, and as much bullshit as possible.

Speaking of annoyances and bullshit, who are those guys (above), and why do you want to subject your wife to 'em, @NoName ?

27 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Speaking of annoyances and bullshit, who are those guys (above), and why do you want to subject your wife to 'em, @NoName ?

i was explaining something about twitter and the people who pay for twitter blue and making fun of them, which then led to talking about reply guys (from elsewhere: "A reply guy is a term for a man who frequently comments on tweets or other social media posts in an annoying, condescending, forward, or otherwise unsolicited manner–especially posts by women") and then led me to think of that specific picture which has to have a ton of overlap on the venn diagram between reply guys and people who reply to any post made by any athlete talking about their stance on anything at all.

EZe0qPUXkAMgp1f?format=jpg&name=900x900

this is the kind of person who is in that photo:

@mrbillybounce-.jpg?auto=compress&fm=pjp

i'm trying to skirt it as well but there is also a huge discussion about those guys political leanings but don't want to get told to take it to the CR.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

i'm trying to skirt it as well but there is also a huge discussion about those guys political leanings but don't want to get told to take it to the CR.

Please. This is the elno mosk thread, we're used to discussion about anger management issues, sexual identity confusion and over-compensation, bullying, racism, antisemitism, dark ignorance, and social media addiction problems leaving holes in the lives of those it impacts.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Elon tweeted about this today?  No?  Wonder why not?

You would think that maybe he would set aside the usual stuff and have a comment or two on this; since it's a subject close to him:

https://gizmodo.com/greg-abbott-signs-texas-electric-vehicle-tax-1850455335

Driving an electric vehicle in Texas is soon to become more expensive. Governor Greg Abbott signed a law (SB 505) on May 13 instituting new fees for registering and owning EVs in the state. Under the bill, electric car owners will have to pay $400 upon registering their vehicle. Then, every subsequent year, EV drivers will have to shell out an additional $200. Both of those fees are on top of the cost of the standard annual registration renewal fees, which are $50.75 each year for most passenger cars and trucks.

The law exempts mopeds, motorcycles, and other non-car EVs, and goes into effect starting on September 1, 2023.

At least 32 states currently have special electric vehicle registration fees, according to data from the National Conference of State Legislatures. These range from $50 in places like Colorado, Hawaii, and South Dakota to $274 (starting in 2028) in a recently passed piece of Tennessee legislation. Note: Tennessee lawmakers had originally proposed a $300 fee, but lowered it in response to pushback. 

Like many other states that have instituted EV fees, the reasoning behind the Lone Star State’s new law is that electric car drivers don’t buy gas. Taxes at the fuel pump are the primary way that most states, Texas included, amass funds for road construction, maintenance, and other driving-related infrastructure.

“Currently, Texas uses the gasoline/diesel fuel tax to fund transportation projects; however, with the growing use of EVs, the revenue from the fuel tax is decreasing, which diminishes our ability to fund road improvements for all drivers,” said the bill’s author, Republican State Senator Robert Nichols, in comments about the legislation, per local NBC News affiliate KXAN. 

But, compared with what gas drivers contribute, Texas’s EV fees seem a little out of whack. Charging $200 per year and $400 at the outset of EV ownership places Texas’s fee schedule at the higher price end of the policies out there. In comparison, Texas’s gas tax is among the lowest in the country, at just $0.20 per gallon. Just seven states impose a lower duty on gasoline than TX. Among the 10 most populous states in the country, additional fees levied elsewhere make Texas’s gas the cheapest.

Spoiler

The average Texas driver burned through ~55 million BTUs of motor gasoline in 2018, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. That’s equal to about 440 gallons of gas. At $0.20 per gallon, the standard car owner in Texas is paying just $88 per year in gas taxes—far less than the hundreds more EV drivers will now be throwing into the pot. A 2022 Consumer Reports analysis determined that a Texas driver’s gas tax contribution is even lower, at just $71. 

The new law says loud and clear that Texas is “fully behind oil and gas,” Kara Kockleman, a transportation engineering professor at the University of Texas, Austin, told local ABC News affiliate KVUE. “Electric vehicles should pay a gas tax – I just think the tax on the conventional cars should be much, much higher than it is. We pay less for gas in this state than almost anyone in the world... Texas is really behind the curve on trying to do the right thing by the environment. And so, that’s embarrassing, I think, for all of us.”

There’s no doubt that roads and other car infrastructure are expensive. Though it can be easy to forget that—every time a driver cruises down the asphalt, complies with a traffic signal, or reads a highway sign—they’re benefiting from a costly system constructed for their particular use and benefit. But compared with other forms of transportation in the U.S., car ownership is already heavily subsidized. So is burning fossil fuels. 

According to a 2015 analysis from the nonprofit Canadian media outlet The Discourse, society pays more than $9 for every $1 a driver pays in commuting: Through infrastructure, accident liability, noise and air pollution, and congestion. Buses, biking, and walking all eat up much less public funds for the same amount of miles traveled. EVs presumably also have a slightly lower public cost, as they’re quieter and don’t directly emit air pollution. 

Yet in Texas, the tax load for driving an electric car will far exceed that of a gas-powered vehicle. The new law is “punitive” according to Consumer Reports. “Consumers should not be punished for choosing a cleaner, greener car that saves them money on fuel and maintenance,” Dylan Jaff, a policy analyst at CR, wrote in an April statement. “The fees proposed in this bill will establish an inequitable fee scale for EV owners, and will not provide a viable solution to the long-standing issue of road funding revenue.”

Luke Metzger, director of the non-profit advocacy group, Environment Texas, echoed Consumer Reports’ findings in a statement from last month. “The Texas Legislature is pouring sugar in the tank of the electric vehicle revolution. This punitive fee will make it harder for Texans to afford these clean vehicles which are so critical to reducing air pollution in Texas.” 

Electric personal vehicles are not a perfect solution to the ongoing problem of petroleum-powered cars. Swapping every gas-guzzler for an EV still would use up an extraordinary amount of resources, that are likely to be ill-gotten. Public investment in mass transit would inarguably be a better environmental strategy. But, as long as the U.S. remains overwhelmingly car dominant and as long as most Americans lack access to adequate public transit, EV uptake remains important for lowering the nation’s carbon emissions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

https://www.pcmag.com/news/elon-musks-lawyer-accuses-microsoft-of-abusing-twitters-api-to-collect

It looks like Elon Musk is moving to carry out his threat to sue Microsoft after the company refused to pay Twitter’s new API access fees.

On Thursday, Musk’s personal lawyer, Alex Spiro, sent a letter to Microsoft, accusing the software giant of violating Twitter’s rules on its API use, according(Opens in a new window) to The New York Times. 

PCMag also obtained the letter from Spiro’s office, and it reveals Microsoft allegedly collected a massive number of tweets through Twitter’s API, even though the social media company enforces “rate limits(Opens in a new window)” on the access. 

“Despite these limitations, the Microsoft Apps accessed Twitter’s APIs over 780 million times and retrieved over 26 billion tweets in 2022 alone,” Spiro wrote. “Indeed, for one of the Microsoft Apps, Microsoft’s account information outright states that it intends to allow its customers to ‘go around throttling limits.’”

If it was a problem in 2022, why didn't twitter cut them off? Was there some kind of agreement before Elmo came along?

Twitter’s API allows third-party apps and sites to quickly pull and post information to the social media platform. But under Elon Musk, Twitter has begun charging for access to the API, which has prompted companies including Microsoft to bail on the fee, which can range from $42,000 to as much as $210,000 per month.  

As a result, Microsoft was recently forced to drop Twitter support from the company’s Smart Campaigns advertising platform. In response, Musk signaled he was ready to sue while implying Microsoft had abused Twitter’s API access to train its AI algorithms.  

“They trained illegally using Twitter data. Lawsuit time,” Musk said in a tweet last month.  

Spiro’s letter doesn’t mention anything about Microsoft using the Twitter API access to train AI language models. Instead, it focuses on how Redmond allegedly operated eight separate Twitter API apps to supply services to “Microsoft products and services, including Xbox One, Bing Pages, Azure, Power Platform, and Ads.”

He’s now demanding Microsoft undergo a “a compliance audit” to verify whether it broke the rules. This includes Microsoft identifying all the Twitter content it’s currently in possession of, along with records on how the data is being used. 

This could lead to bigger legal action if Twitter’s audit finds more wrongdoing, or if Microsoft refuses to comply. Spiro asked the software giant to provide the requested information by June 7. 

A lawsuit would also occur as Musk is developing his own AI chatbot program to compete against OpenAI’s ChatGPT, which Microsoft is using to power Bing. Musk has since take several shots at OpenAI, including possibly suing the company, which he ironically helped found.   

For now, Microsoft has only indicated it plans on cooperating with Spiro on the compliance audit. “We heard from a law firm representing Twitter with some questions about our previous use of the free Twitter API. We will review these questions and respond appropriately. We look forward to continuing our long term partnership with the company,” Microsoft said in a statement.

These guys sound so awkward, so much of their sentence structure and verbal cadences sounds, speech patterns, reliance on buzzwords. When you take a person who is successful on twitter and record his voice it sounds less than ordinary, and this guy probably made multiple takes to get this video put together.  The way he delivers the generalizations, and rattles off one ridiculous claim after another. Who the hell would elevate a guy like this or care what this guy thinks about anything?

Edited by trza-hawk

3 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

These guys sound so awkward, so much of their sentence structure and verbal cadences sounds, speech patterns, reliance on buzzwords. When you take a person who is successful on twitter and record his voice it sounds less than ordinary, and this guy probably made multiple takes to get this video put together.  The way he delivers the generalizations, and rattles off one ridiculous claim after another. Who the hell would elevate a guy like this or care what this guy thinks about anything?

That dude looks like how diarrhea feels.

Muy feo.

Edited by F250
  • Haha 1

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

https://www.pcmag.com/news/san-francisco-reportedly-opens-investigation-into-twitter-for-building

San Francisco is investigating Twitter over alleged building code violations at its downtown headquarters, the San Francisco Chronicle reports(Opens in a new window). 

The investigation comes in response to a lawsuit filed by former employees against Twittersuccessor company X Corp. and its owner Elon Musk, which revealed Musk’s team instructed staff to disable lights and install locks that wouldn’t open during an emergency at employee bedrooms. (Yes, employees were—are?—sleeping at the office(Opens in a new window).)

That lawsuit, filed in a Delaware federal court on Tuesday, says: “Twitter’s new leadership deliberately, specifically, and repeatedly announced their intentions to breach contracts, violate laws, and otherwise ignore their legal obligations.”

“We will be opening a new complaint and conducting an investigation into these new allegations,” Patrick Hannan, a Department of Building Inspection spokesperson, told the Chronicle. 

One of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, Joseph Killian, Twitter’s former lead project manager of global design and construction, said in the filing that the social media company repeatedly and knowingly broke building code violations when it made "bedrooms" for employees to sleep in.

These violations reportedly included the removal of motion-sensitive lights because they made it more difficult for employees to sleep, and the installation of cheap door locks that would not automatically unlock in case of an emergency like a fire, earthquake, or medical event. 

The lights were removed despite objections from the landlord of Twitter’s HQ, and the door locks were installed at the request of Elon Musk’s team in order to save money, Killian alleges. 

Another plaintiff alleges that Twitter stopped paying vendors and its San Francisco HQ landlord. According to the lawsuit, a Musk advisor told one of the plaintiffs, that Musk had told him “he would only pay rent over [his] dead body.”

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Part of the lawsuit by the former head of real estate for twitter alleges she was ordered to hire non-licensed plumbers because there was no legal way for elmo to build a bathroom adjacent to his office. Apparently he was tired of waking up his security bois when he wanted to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The way he has run Twitter into the ground is seriously a work of art. I mean that had to take some vision. 

I think a good way to turn it around would be to make it where you have to have special goggles to see twitter. Twitter goggles. Something innovative like that. 

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

I think a good way to turn it around would be to make it where you have to have special goggles to see twitter. Twitter goggles. Something innovative like that. 

Given the stupid shit he's done with the Boring Company, etc., I'm surprised he hasn't tried to sell his own Tesla-branded phone.  I mean, it would be a generic Android phone that's way overpriced and has some shitty theme installed over the top of Android, but yeah.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Given the stupid shit he's done with the Boring Company, etc., I'm surprised he hasn't tried to sell his own Tesla-branded phone.  I mean, it would be a generic Android phone that's way overpriced and has some shitty theme installed over the top of Android, but yeah.

If it only had some kind of tech-y, catchy name to help it sell. 

Something like Cyberphone

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Can't wait until Twitter actually destroys the world

You won't have to wait long, I'm thinking.

Elon is a complete chaos agent -- chaotic evil on the chart.  We've given asshole billionaires WAY too much power.  We're going to reap the whirlwind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?