Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think the bigger threat was banning the app throughout the EU. Levying fines won’t get Twitter’s attention 

Shit, in Elon's worldview, that's an incredible deal.  Getting Twitter banned in a group of countries is easier than paying the fine, because who cares about advertisers, right?

Besides, with Twitter's descent into a far right echo chamber, who needs those pesky markets where opposing views, bureaucratic oversight and the constant threats of "fines" and "blocked" are not welcomed.  It also plays into Elon's hands of free speech because some country blocks Twitter, and he can say "See! Those people are against free speech!" and it will work.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Besides, with Twitter's descent into a far right echo chamber, who needs those pesky markets where opposing views, bureaucratic oversight and the constant threats of "fines" and "blocked" are not welcomed.  It also plays into Elon's hands of free speech because some country blocks Twitter, and he can say "See! Those people are against free speech!" and it will work.

I think it works for a group that continues to get smaller and smaller. In the end I think most people see what Twitter is becoming and are either jumping ship or preparing to jump ship. Forget advertisers, Alienating users - I am not sure how this even plays for making a successful business. 

I also didn't realize that the land battles that Musk is fighting in Bastrop made news again.

https://wapo.st/42ep2hV < this is a gifted link, I am not sure how many people this will work for.

I gotta admit, i find it hard to feel for Chap Ambrose, when he has comments like thse:

“I just have no faith that the leadership there values the environment and these shared resources,” said Ambrose, who leads a group of local residents pushing Musk’s companies to slow down and address concerns about the environmental risks of the development. “I would say, I’m still a fan [of Elon], but I want him to do better here and be a good neighbor.”

You can't have it both ways here. You gotta pick a side on this. If you think he's going to play ball, while you still want to give him money, then expect to get run over.

Some good quotes in there, I think this one nails him perfectly:

“He is incredibly bright, he’s been incredibly successful, and he’s done things that are extremely hard,” Maurice Schweitzer, a management professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, said of Musk. But that success, he added, has “caused him some conceit where he feels entitled and he feels a sense of being special in a way that’s caused him to overextend himself.”

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, but see.....Fidelity is woke Soros-funded with the MSM and Hunter Biden's laptop and doesn't support free speech and let that sink in!

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, but instead of a newsletter could you make a video ranting at me from the driver's seat of your pickup? Preferably with a trucker hat and sunglasses on? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, but instead of a newsletter could you make a video ranting at me from the driver's seat of your pickup? Preferably with a trucker hat and sunglasses on? 

You've seen my truck.  It does not support video applications.  FFS, it has a cassette player.  And only one door works.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

He'd need a beard as well.  Longish, but not Billy Gibbons or Dusty Hill length.

Can't have true self-recorded rants without one.

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sorry, no hat or sunglasses.

I watched a few hours of these videos over a long weekend, and once I was  able to focus without my brain liquefying and dribbling out of my ears, I  was able

https://mashable.com/article/twitter-now-worth-one-third-what-elon-musk-paid

According to Fidelity, Twitter is now worth around 33 percent what the billionaire originally paid for it. That puts Twitter's value at roughly $15 billion. The number comes from the investment firm's own valuation of its own stake in Musk's Twitter, which Fidelity helped finance.

Twitter's valuation from Fidelity follows a pattern since Musk took over in October of last year. Fidelity has consistently downgraded its own holdings in the company, knocking the value of its stake by 56 percent just a month after the acquisition closed. By the end of February, Fidelity further downgraded its stake by more than 63 percent before knocking it down by a full two-thirds this month.

Elon to his fanboys "Go and do something about Fidelity!"

Elon's fanboys: "What's fidelity?"

Elon: It's that thing that Grimes wouldn't give me before she left me.

Elon's fanboys: "You mean...sex?"

Elon:

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 2

Must be nice to be a billionaire. Even if Twitter completely tanks and fails and zeroes out and Elon loses all of his $44bn, he will be +$4bn this year thanks to Tesla:

• Musk's own wealth has risen by more than $48 billion this year, mostly on a surge in shares of Tesla, which he also owns.
Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Must be nice to be a billionaire. Even if Twitter completely tanks and fails and zeroes out and Elon loses all of his $44bn, he will be +$4bn this year thanks to Tesla:

• Musk's own wealth has risen by more than $48 billion this year, mostly on a surge in shares of Tesla, which he also owns.

YTD is a dumb metric, because it completely ignores prior, and in this case important, data.

image.png.b274d8de98d64516a976f48cb32a601c.png

Oh look, he made money this year! Elon is so smart!

image.png.add8dccc46003060d08d22bd58050ebf.png

But when you go further back, you see that Tesla is down overall. From those highs in Aug/Sept he's down well over 30%. If you go further back, you find the high from which Tesla is down over 50%.

So to being up this year?

James Van Der Beek Applause GIF

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

YTD is a dumb metric, because it completely ignores prior, and in this case important, data.

But when you go further back, you see that Tesla is down overall. From those highs in Aug/Sept he's down well over 30%. If you go further back, you find the high from which Tesla is down over 50%.

Good point. I guess looking at it from when he bought Twitter ($44bn) (which I think was October of 2022?) and what Tesla has gained or lost since then, is a truer look.

As of May 31, 2023, Tesla stock has lost about 30% of its value since October 28, 2022. The stock closed at $799.20 on October 28, 2022, and it closed at $557.55 on May 31, 2023.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Good point. I guess looking at it from when he bought Twitter ($44bn) (which I think was October of 2022?) and what Tesla has gained or lost since then, is a truer look.

As of May 31, 2023, Tesla stock has lost about 30% of its value since October 28, 2022. The stock closed at $799.20 on October 28, 2022, and it closed at $557.55 on May 31, 2023.

Did you get chatGPT to make up some bullshit stock prices or something? The market hasn't even closed today and it's currently trading at $199.75.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

13 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

11 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Man.  Shades of the Aggy Fedex years, when ags would constantly harp about "going 11 outta 14 since 1983!" 

If you cherrypick your window, everybody is brilliant and undefeated.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Google Bard actually lol. Yikes, this is why we don't trust generative AI out of hand just yet, eh?

Dude are you fucking kidding me? Do you just blindly trust any sufficiently impressive tool? LLMs like chatGPT and Bard are not designed to achieve factual accuracy. They are designed to create believable natural language compositions. 

You should check out the most recent episode of Planet Money - they go into the reality of actually using a LLM for large scale creative work

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Dude are you fucking kidding me? Do you just blindly trust any sufficiently impressive tool? LLMs like chatGPT and Bard are not designed to achieve factual accuracy. They are designed to create believable natural language compositions. 

You should check out the most recent episode of Planet Money - they go into the reality of actually using a LLM for large scale creative work

He's a Musk fanboi.....how much do you think "sound, reasoned decision making" figures into his worldview?  Yeah....

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Google Bard actually lol. Yikes, this is why we don't trust generative AI out of hand just yet, eh?

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transactional/lawyer-used-chatgpt-cite-bogus-cases-what-are-ethics-2023-05-30/

Steven Schwartz of Levidow, Levidow & Oberman faces a June 8 sanctions hearing before U.S. District Judge P. Kevin Castel after he admitted to using ChatGPT for a brief in his client's personal injury case against Avianca Airlines. The brief cited six non-existent court decisions. Schwartz said in a court filing that he "greatly regrets" his reliance on the technology and was "unaware of the possibility that its contents could be false."

Lawyers representing Avianca alerted the court to the non-existent cases cited by Schwartz, who did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

The American Bar Association’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct do not explicitly address artificial intelligence. But several existing ethics rules apply, experts say.

“You are ultimately responsible for the representations you make,” said Daniel Martin Katz, a professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law who teaches professional responsibility and studies artificial intelligence in the law. "It’s your bar card."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Steven Schwartz of Levidow, Levidow & Oberman faces a June 8 sanctions hearing before U.S. District Judge P. Kevin Castel after he admitted to using ChatGPT for a brief in his client's personal injury case against Avianca Airlines. The brief cited six non-existent court decisions. Schwartz said in a court filing that he "greatly regrets" his reliance on the technology and was "unaware of the possibility that its contents could be false."

Lawyers representing Avianca alerted the court to the non-existent cases cited by Schwartz, who did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

The American Bar Association’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct do not explicitly address artificial intelligence. But several existing ethics rules apply, experts say.

“You are ultimately responsible for the representations you make,” said Daniel Martin Katz, a professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law who teaches professional responsibility and studies artificial intelligence in the law. "It’s your bar card."

I literally just prepared and presented at a CLE on this exact topic.

And Schwartz fell into the exact trap responsible legal professionals have been warning about.  But, like any population, some folks gotta FAFO.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You got me-- I actually didn't realize it until this situation, but I have slipped into the "blind trust" camp of these LLMs...

It's actually pretty surprising how easy that happened. I guess that's the big risk-- a majority of the population trusting and relying on these things without any critical thought.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He's a Musk fanboi.....how much do you think "sound, reasoned decision making" figures into his worldview?  Yeah....

You got the wrong guy-- I'm not a Musk fanboi or even a mild fan. Neutral at best.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

“Neutral” re Musk is well on the fanboi side of things.

I know a few fanbois and for some reason, none of them want to discuss his ideas about putting chips in people's heads.

It's like "c'mon, you trust him with space travel, electric cars, social media, flame throwers, digging holes underground, fathering children with Grimes, and stealing memes, but your draw the line at chips in the brain?"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know a few fanbois and for some reason, none of them want to discuss his ideas about putting chips in people's heads.

It's like "c'mon, you trust him with space travel, electric cars, social media, flame throwers, digging holes underground, fathering children with Grimes, and stealing memes, but your draw the line at chips in the brain?"

Just say @Dahobbs. He’s been conspicuously absent from here for awhile, and he was violently pro musk in the early pages (as were many, but have changed their opinions with new shit coming to light, man). How’s he feel in’ now?

sup Dahobbs, got a brain chip yet?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just say @Dahobbs. He’s been conspicuously absent from here for awhile, and he was violently pro musk in the early pages (as were many, but have changed their opinions with new shit coming to light, man). How’s he feel in’ now?

sup Dahobbs, got a brain chip yet?

I was violently pro musk? I'm not sure my opinion has changed substantially. He is an asshole. But he is also a visionary in the sense that he has a vision that he has forced to become reality. I don't like him personally, but he has led two companies that are or have changed the world, SpaceX and Tesla. The more that comes out about him it seems that a lot of this progress was done in spite of him. But, I don't think there is any denying that his obsessive drive has contributed to both company's abilities to push boundaries and drag entire sectors of the company forward. 

As to Neural link, I'm glad at least that his brain implant company appears to be going through proper research steps rather than electing to break things and just experimenting without oversight. I don't have any moral issue with brain implants if that is your question. But I honestly don't know much about Musk's efforts here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Did Google Bard tell you how to feel this time too?

Maybe you've missed my many posts about how I think Tesla's are lame and wannabe luxe these days.

Also I think the brain implant stuff is beyond stupid and hope that fails miserably.

Maybe I'm not using the name "Elmo" enough for you very mature and smart scions of business news, so I get confused for being a fanboi.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Maybe you've missed my many posts about how I think Tesla's are lame and wannabe luxe these days.

Also I think the brain implant stuff is beyond stupid and hope that fails miserably.

Maybe I'm not using the name "Elmo" enough for you very mature and smart scions of business news, so I get confused for being a fanboi.

Naah.  The real issue is how you think a naked fascist narcissist is actually some sort of champion of "free speech" and is any sort of net benefit to public discourse.  That's the cognitive dissonance we've come to know and love.  ChatGPT told me that 374% of Twitter users are as dumb as you, so it doesn't surprise me.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Naah.  The real issue is how you think a naked fascist narcissist is actually some sort of champion of "free speech" and is any sort of net benefit to public discourse.  That's the cognitive dissonance we've come to know and love.  ChatGPT told me that 374% of Twitter users are as dumb as you, so it doesn't surprise me.

I actually don't think that and am curious where you are even inferring that from. Like, what have I said for you to draw that inference because I absolutely have not ever directly said he was a champion of free speech. If you are inferring this because I've stated, if anything, I'm neutral to the guy or mildly disdainful, then I think there is more problems than cognitive dissonance, that you are suffering from.

If anything I am a champion of capitalism. I think it's funny he's blown up a portion of his net worth and also it's funny he's blown up Twitter, because I think social media is an evil.

This whole escapade-- maybe even Musk's whole storyline starting around Covid-19-- has been a huge farce and joke and very entertaining, in many ways, up to and including the self-inflicted wounds he's incurred with his wealth, relationships, reputation, businesses, etc.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

You read my post and somehow linked it to your opinion of Musk, as opposed to the fact that you literally admitted to using Google Bard to feed you data that was wildly incorrect...literally like 200% incorrect, and posted it here as fact to the rest of us without any fact checking. But you think I'm trying to mock you for being a musk fanboi (which you claim you aren't). Dude, I'm mocking you because you fucking used Google Bard to try to dunk on people here, didn't do any double-checking, and were off by I don't know, 350 dollars or so per share. That's why I'm fucking mocking you. You might as well have gotten it off your facebook feed from a fucking Bitcoin bro group you follow. 

• Haha 3

It is so on-brand for someone to come on here to defend Musk and be totally wrong because they asked an AI to post for them. 

Beyond that, I get excitement over AI so you don’t have to do your  job but we’re down the rabbit hole by outsourcing message board posting, do you hire someone to do your hobbies for you? 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You read my post and somehow linked it to your opinion of Musk, as opposed to the fact that you literally admitted to using Google Bard to feed you data that was wildly incorrect...literally like 200% incorrect, and posted it here as fact to the rest of us without any fact checking. But you think I'm trying to mock you for being a musk fanboi (which you claim you aren't). Dude, I'm mocking you because you fucking used Google Bard to try to dunk on people here, didn't do any double-checking, and were off by I don't know, 350 dollars or so per share. That's why I'm fucking mocking you. You might as well have gotten it off your facebook feed from a fucking Bitcoin bro group you follow. 

I was talking to Brisket. 

Re: Google Bard, sure keep "dunking" on me for that. I'll poke fun at myself for that one too. I was too trusting of the LLM's to dig up some research and didn't stress test it or even smell test it before posting. Bad on me and we can laugh and make fun of it, because it is legitimate.

What I can't abide is being mischaracterized as a musk fanboi when I don't think he's special or cool and don't particularly like him. That's illegitimate. But again, not directed to you but Brisket, so sorry for quoting my response to you.

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?