Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I think Taibbi and Elron already had a falling out over the substack ban

Yeah, I think Taibbi finally learned that Elroy spurns lthe concept of two way loyalty and defaults to rewarding only abject fealty. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, hayden_horn said:

it's a weird dynamic. every time i think i've nearly got my finger on it, it wriggles away.

there's something about bullies and powerful men going on with it. this weird hero worship of biff from back to the future as some paragon of mankind. it's got something to do with celebrating billy batts (a guy stomped and stabbed to death for saying it) saying "go get your shine box" or some weird infatuation and identification with the morals and worldview of colonel jessup, a worldclass fuckstain villain. there's mixed in some hearkening back to a time where date rape was kind of funny and women were slits and when the strong stuffing the weak into the locker was funny, i guess? being openly racist was funny, and fuck em if they can't take a joke, amiright?

there's more to it, but it's all fucking toxic. that's the glory. 

musk is just another in the list of powerful and/or wealthy men that wraparound oakley bald guy wants to be. i think that must be it.

more towards the last part (I think the billy batts or don draper quotes are just good burns regardless of what is happening/will happen in the movie) about sexism and misogyny, I thought the "Feels Good Man" documentary about the fascist right co-opting Pepe the Frog framed some of that in a way that was interesting and rung true for me. There was a while on the internet where it was the place where you are anonymous and the rules don't apply to what you can and can't say, in a time where increasingly there are more rules about the kinds of things that rl society accepts. And so a lot of this humor that is centered in horrible sexism/racism/etc comes up because it's partly around the thrill of saying what you're not allowed to say, but it feels OK because the "normal" people who are pushing boundaries on the internet are doing it with a wink and a smile (regardless of how horrible it is). But that atmosphere collects people who are doing it with no wink at all, it fosters an environment where they can actually prey on soft brained teens, etc, and after the 2016 election cycle and how social media is weaponized, it really becomes apparent that it's not just edgy internet frontier humor. Anyways, that doc was surprisingly good and I recommend it for a better perspective on that than I've framed here. The Q doc on HBO touched on a lot of the same stuff although I think it went more into gamergate as a turning point.

Certainly Shaggy/Surly underwent a shift, although that to me feels more like it centered around MeToo when aspects of the locker room language ceased to seem funny to a lot of posters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

more towards the last part (I think the billy batts or don draper quotes are just good burns regardless of what is happening/will happen in the movie) about sexism and misogyny, I thought the "Feels Good Man" documentary about the fascist right co-opting Pepe the Frog framed some of that in a way that was interesting and rung true for me. There was a while on the internet where it was the place where you are anonymous and the rules don't apply to what you can and can't say, in a time where increasingly there are more rules about the kinds of things that rl society accepts. And so a lot of this humor that is centered in horrible sexism/racism/etc comes up because it's partly around the thrill of saying what you're not allowed to say, but it feels OK because the "normal" people who are pushing boundaries on the internet are doing it with a wink and a smile (regardless of how horrible it is). But that atmosphere collects people who are doing it with no wink at all, it fosters an environment where they can actually prey on soft brained teens, etc, and after the 2016 election cycle and how social media is weaponized, it really becomes apparent that it's not just edgy internet frontier humor. Anyways, that doc was surprisingly good and I recommend it for a better perspective on that than I've framed here. The Q doc on HBO touched on a lot of the same stuff although I think it went more into gamergate as a turning point.

Certainly Shaggy/Surly underwent a shift, although that to me feels more like it centered around MeToo when aspects of the locker room language ceased to seem funny to a lot of posters.

the billy batts thing has always bothered me but i think I'm coming around to understanding. 

to me, batts always represented a generational divide and a perfect boomer representation of "fuck you i got mine i can do what i want get your shinebox kid" attitude.

shit had changed while billy was inside but he was too self involved and prideful to see it. it's the perfect representation of a generational suicide and what our inner psycho would like to do with boomers sometimes when they still pine for the good old days when they could just do what they want.

every good mob tale is the tale of the american immigrant and the tale of multiple generations handling success in their own way in their own time. and the good part usually comes when the younger generation asks wtf and shakes the tree even when they end up dead because of it. 

I vaguely recall reading that somewhere but thinking it was in the hornfans era - was that in the surly times?

*edit* ditto comments on community, I’m glad that this place keeps some of that shaggy attitude without embracing the true toxicity that that kind of attitude has developed into in a lot of the internet (well, at least we do a reasonably good job of not embracing it).

Edited by Celery Man

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I vaguely recall reading that somewhere but thinking it was in the hornfans era - was that in the surly times?

*edit* ditto comments on community, I’m glad that this place keeps some of that shaggy attitude without embracing the true toxicity that that kind of attitude has developed into in a lot of the internet (well, at least we do a reasonably good job of not embracing it).

it's well tilled ground so i won't go over it all again (shit, we are talking now in decade long time spans) but suffice it to say there's a good reason that's one of the only rules around here. 

Rant incoming. I had a quick thought on this but the words started flowing and I started feeling like I had to write it.
I don't think it was MeToo. By the time the migration happened, MeToo had gone full cycle from informative and transformative to ridiculous. In the end, there is always a "bully" mentality that takes over any movement. Rather than stamping out bad behavior when they see it, they actively seek it and find it wherever they can and it becomes a hammer looking for a nail situation. After that, society generally shifts back to a reasonable middle that applies the true lessons learned from the experience.
The same applied to MeToo. We learned a lot from it, but innocent people were starting to get dragged and that's where the shift started. We had that combined with a lot of posters coming forward and sharing why some of the language and attitudes we were using was harmful even though we weren't seeing a direct result of that harm on the board itself. Despite being rough around the edges, we were compassionate and understanding enough to get smoothed out a little. Our new normal was the "kinder, gentler" that we saw, but a lot of the old attitudes persisted.
I know I'm crossing streams a little here by saying this, but we were ~2 years into the Trump presidency when we migrated over to Surly. The deeper we got into that administration, the more parts of society leaned into the bully mentality without a particular movement behind it. As long as you hurt the right people, you get a pass. And it isn't exclusive to one party or the other. True informative and explorative discourse is no longer the point. Pain is the point in a lot of our tribal social discourse these days, so the loudest and most brash of each tribe acts as the "champion" that people will rally around. If people are going to whine that I'm being political by observing and stating that, I don't know what to say. However, I think we are well into the "ridiculous" stage and I truly think the bulk of society is trying to find the new normal or middle.
COVID is really, really complicating that, though. I'm of the strong opinion that COVID was a national tragedy that we haven't emotionally unpacked, yet. For ~2 weeks, the vast majority of society was terrified. We had no idea what was coming down the pike. China wasn't sharing any data and the rumors were the stuff of nightmares, it seemed like Italy was on the doorstep of the modern era Black Death, almost all the food was gone, economic collapse was a certainty, substance abuse skyrocketed, mental health plummeted, and the nation was emotionally and spiritually hollowed out. And it wasn't even April, yet. It was this generation's 9/11 without the national bonding after. Instead, it was a national tearing.
Anger is the outlet of fear and there was, and still is, a lot of fear that is being vented as anger. Thus was born the tribal champions. Everyone is angry but can't shout at everyone they want to shout at. But their champions can. Elon is just one of them. We, as a nation, need to fix our anger problem. We need to start humanizing each other, again. Either we figure it out or the next disaster will figure it out for us.

Excellent observation, actually. The short version is that as a society, we not only do not value humanizing our fellow travelers or treating people with basic decency and empathy….we actually demonize those things.
“Being decent and considerate” is the worst thing you can be in the broken brain of 2023 Tribal America. Its all me, no “we,” except perversely, people play up how cruel and selfish they can be to impress the “we” that is (what they think is) their tribe. Thus, Elon playing up his individualism and egotistical narcissism to impress….a tribe of the biggest loser incels the world has ever seen.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Excellent observation, actually. The short version is that as a society, we not only do not value humanizing our fellow travelers or treating people with basic decency and empathy….we actually demonize those things.
“Being decent and considerate” is the worst thing you can be in the broken brain of 2023 Tribal America. Its all me, no “we,” except perversely, people play up how cruel and selfish they can be to impress the “we” that is (what they think is) their tribe. Thus, Elon playing up his individualism and egotistical narcissism to impress….a tribe of the biggest loser incels the world has ever seen.

Elon is a huge nerd and internet troll. It's his personality.

He also happens to be the world's richest man with more privilege and resources than anyone ever has had before him.

Combine those two things and you get what we've got.

• Fuck You 2

He also happens to be the world's richest man with more privilege and resources than anyone ever has had before him.

Those things are combined because they reflect our values. An internet troll is - literally - the most valuable* human on earth.

* “Valuable” in terms of what is apparently the only means and measure of value that matters: money.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952rn033ayk7ifakx94ju

• Hook 'Em 1

Just as an fy, if anyone tries to tell you otherwise you absolutely don't have to hand it to Elron for exploiting Chinese slave labor.

If you ever have any question about the vision of “FREEDOM!” the Elon stans are taking about…it includes this. The absolute “freedom” of the powerful to do whatever they want to the weak, including slavery. That’s the REAL “free market,” you woke libtard commie!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Just as an fy, if anyone tries to tell you otherwise you absolutely don't have to hand it to Elron for exploiting Chinese slave labor.

This piece of shit flying to fellate CCP production methods on the anniversary of Tiananmen is grotesque (he likely doesn’t know but the Chinese do). There’s never been someone who more richly deserves having his companies nationalized and then himself launched into space on one of his rockets. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

What's the feeling on how much overlap exists between

--elron/tesla fanbois who think his chinese forced labor camps are just as cool as elron seems to,

--the people who smeared Lebron James for playing a game of basketball in China,

--and the people who called covid the chinese flu and are certain the epidemic was an attack by China on the USA?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

--elron/tesla fanbois who think his chinese forced labor camps are just as cool as elron seems to,
--the people who smeared Lebron James for playing a game of basketball in China,
--and the people who called covid the chinese flu and are certain the epidemic was an attack by China on the USA?

You mean the single circle Venn diagram?
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I can't have the guy that can understand a basic TV show and completely ruined the Succession thread tell me it's not okay to be anti-China for Covid-19.

• Fuck You 2

I think people gravitate to Trump and Elon because those two play on their worst impulses and treat people they don't like in an absolutely shitty way because they have enough money to not fear any consequences from it. So these fanbois love it because they can't do it in their own lives without losing their livelihoods and it becomes sort of a larping experience where they can live vicariously through them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I think people gravitate to Trump and Elon because those two play on their worst impulses and treat people they don't like in an absolutely shitty way because they have enough money to not fear any consequences from it. So these fanbois love it because they can't do it in their own lives without losing their livelihoods and it becomes sort of a larping experience where they can live vicariously through them. 

I think there is a lot of psychological truth to this theory. Not sure you could ever prove it, but sounds right to me 

• Fuck You 2

52 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I think

So it wasn't sarcasm. Aren't you the Google Bard quoting but not attributing, aggy favorable-date-range-imitating guy who just fucked up the last page or two of this thread? Okay then. Makes sense. /s

Anyway back to regularly scheduled programming...Bullying and taking advantage of the most vulnerable people in society - it's the musk/tesla/twitter way. Fucking pariah.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Aren't you the Google Bard quoting but not attributing, aggy favorable-date-range-imitating guy who just fucked up the last page or two of this thread?

yeah he is. but he's also not wrong about the Succession thread 😄

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

He’s basically a Kardashian for men. Particularly men who feel impotent or ignored in various ways, be it money, status, etc. But instead of physical appearance or expensive fashion items, it’s money and power and saying shit without consequence and not being a father to your children. 

he is a piece of shit. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 8

7 hours ago, mchookem said:

yeah he is. but he's also not wrong about the Succession thread 😄

"Ruined" was more than a bit over the top. And to lay it at my feet is unfair. If people want to thread police then going after someone who expresses an opinion apart from the majority while ignoring the simpletons who post only, "you're wrong," and think they're saying something smart, or posters who mischaracterize the same point over and over just to make themselves feel good...those 2 areas seem like better places to target for the health of a message board than someone with a dissenting opinion.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Volkswagen announces their new electric minibus thing, complete with seating for 7, is coming to North America next year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/cars/volkswagen-id-buzz-vw-bus/index.html

It looks like a vehicle made for humans.

f_webp

f_webp

I wish my dad had lived to see this. He had a VW bus when I was a kid and it was his favorite.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Volkswagen announces their new electric minibus thing, complete with seating for 7, is coming to North America next year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/cars/volkswagen-id-buzz-vw-bus/index.html

It looks like a vehicle made for humans.

f_webp

f_webp

I kinda really want this, or maybe more accurately, I want my wife to want this. not sure she'll be into the styling though

• Hook 'Em 2

I kind of like it’s looks but I’m every single car, the thing I hate is touchscreen controls for almost everything. They are terrible and make the interface worse. 

Radio: Dial is superior 

Playlist: Once it’s cued up, I prefer the dial or skip button 

Temperature: Again, buttons for the setting and dial for the temp 

Phone/Bluetooth: Buttons and dial to scroll contacts

It’s really only fine for entering navigation coordinates while stopped.  I actively loathe touchscreens in cars. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I have no idea why VW hasn't made an EV Beetle and called it the "Lightning Bug" or something like that. It'd sell like crazy

Too busy lying about the fuel efficiency performance of their ICE vehicles.  Germans can be very focused, but multi-tasking isn't always their strength.

Today I was reading about how Elon and David O. Sacks are hosting a Twitter spaces talk with the stupid Kennedy and I got to thinking about why people who objectively have some smarts keep saying such stupid things. (Sacks, for instance, can’t stop saying stupid things about Ukraine).

And I think it’s because people like them and other edgelords who make a personality out of being the smart kid run into a problem eventually— which is that you can’t be REALLY smart about everything and if you care enough to be super smart about a few things, you end up with a small circle of people who will listen to you and tell you how smart you are. 

So for instance, I’m pretty smart on Central/Eastern Europe security policy and Russian influence tactics, and in a convo on that with other smart people I can not just keep up but sometimes advance the discussion. But wander too much farther, and it’s different, I can keep up in a convo on Iran and can tell who is smart and who’s dumb, but the best I can do is repeat something smart people say. And no one gives you a pat on the head for doing that.  You get no points for being able to understand and repeat a smart person, from other smart people. 

And if we get into medicine or finance or physics or almost anything else , I can’t even keep up in a conversation between smart people. I just have to trust them.

But if you crave that pat on the head, then there is a life hack.  You can just pick whatever is in the news and say the absolute dumbest shit— it doesn’t even have to be original— and all the dumbasses will think you’re smart if you say it in a semi-smart/edgy type of way and they’ll tell you that you are, too.  I think that’s where this all starts and then they end up liking the smell of their own farts since it gives them that precious positive feedback that so many lifetime dorks crave so badly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:17 AM, HamsterHookah said:

Must be nice to be a billionaire. Even if Twitter completely tanks and fails and zeroes out and Elon loses all of his $44bn, he will be +$4bn this year thanks to Tesla:

• Musk's own wealth has risen by more than $48 billion this year, mostly on a surge in shares of Tesla, which he also owns.

You may be the single dumbest motherfucker on this website...bringing up how well TSLA is doing YTD like three times in this thread now while ignoring everything else about how they have been doing.

Go blow Elon elsewhere. And learn basic math as well.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:45 AM, HamsterHookah said:

l don't follow the stock and don't own any and have never owned any

Then why do you keep coming in here to talk about how much it is up YTD or how well Elon is doing personally from the stock 3x now? Fuck off clown.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Today I was reading about how Elon and David O. Sacks are hosting a Twitter spaces talk with the stupid Kennedy and I got to thinking about why people who objectively have some smarts keep saying such stupid things. (Sacks, for instance, can’t stop saying stupid things about Ukraine).

Dorsey too. I think Sacks and Elon and Dorsey are attracted to him because he's wealthy and as stupid as they are.

image.thumb.png.5de56dea84801be8af9c32ef1d5357bf.png

image.thumb.png.3199561248d203766c16fad50349d713.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And I think it’s because people like them and other edgelords who make a personality out of being the smart kid run into a problem eventually— which is that you can’t be REALLY smart about everything and if you care enough to be super smart about a few things, you end up with a small circle of people who will listen to you and tell you how smart you are. 

So for instance, I’m pretty smart on Central/Eastern Europe security policy and Russian influence tactics, and in a convo on that with other smart people I can not just keep up but sometimes advance the discussion. But wander too much farther, and it’s different, I can keep up in a convo on Iran and can tell who is smart and who’s dumb, but the best I can do is repeat something smart people say. And no one gives you a pat on the head for doing that.  You get no points for being able to understand and repeat a smart person, from other smart people. 

And if we get into medicine or finance or physics or almost anything else , I can’t even keep up in a conversation between smart people. I just have to trust them.

But if you crave that pat on the head, then there is a life hack.  You can just pick whatever is in the news and say the absolute dumbest shit— it doesn’t even have to be original— and all the dumbasses will think you’re smart if you say it in a semi-smart/edgy type of way and they’ll tell you that you are, too.  I think that’s where this all starts and then they end up liking the smell of their own farts since it gives them that precious positive feedback that so many lifetime dorks crave so badly. 

Maybe YOU can't, but there's a bunch of DT posters who've apparently mastered it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?