Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

51 minutes ago, NoName said:

Fw1BMyJXwBE8Pj_?format=png&name=360x360

Fw1BNi-XwAwx9SO?format=png&name=small

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

These pussies wouldn't last long on YouTube - if they are whining about that, YT would make them shit themselves when it comes to copyright stuff.

Imagine typing "we use twitter in constant fear" and thinking that:
a) Anyone should ever take you seriously
b) You're not outing yourself as one of the biggest pussies to ever walk the earth
c) Maybe you need to go outside and unplug

Nope, Imma just hit post!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Imagine typing "we use twitter in constant fear" and thinking that:
a) Anyone should ever take you seriously
b) You're not outing yourself as one of the biggest pussies to ever walk the earth
c) Maybe you need to go outside and unplug

Nope, Imma just hit post!

Not only that, but they are posting in “constant fear” on a platform owned by their leader.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

oh my god. it just hit me that spaces is audio only. amazing. what a blown opportunity to announce you are running for president.

i bet audio only announcement for president hasn't been done since the 50s. what an incredible decision.

Elon and Ron have faces made for radio.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

No non-CR news on how awesome the twitter spaces event was? Guess I'll have to look for some.

The screenshot is the headline of an article, "How Elon Fired Twitter Staff and Broke Nothing." Written by Megan McArdle.

Must've been amazing. Sorry to have missed it.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, Ghost of LL said:

Do you have a cogent point to make?  Because I'm certainly not seeing it.

And what exactly is it that you want to say on Twitter that you're not currently allowed to say?

Josh Hawley is a POS cum dumpster. I got permabanned after that one. The sad thing is they won't delete me off of their site. You have to have full control to delete yourself so I am in twitter limbo. Meanwhile, the fuckers sold my phone number a shit ton as the solicitation calls I got increased significantly after I joined. What a POS cum dumpster of a site.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Kara swisher had a pretty good take down of the site on a Twitter thread. The downside is that she went beyond the character limit for embedding, so I’m going to need some time to unroll it. Here’s the start.

What really cracks me up is that you can’t even read it easily on the app or browser, they don’t even self embed well! You need to visit each post one by one to read it  (they all say Show more)

• Hook 'Em 5

She is spot on about these guys. These guys want to be the media moguls, but they don’t get that making that content is hard. Giving it a platform is easy (though even getting it right isn’t).

But being the person in front of the camera, asking the questions and doing it well, that’s tough. It takes chops. And the good podcasters have them, usually developed through journalism or other media forms (Rogan through comedy, EX). But trying to do it off the cuff with no training - not easy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

She is spot on about these guys. These guys want to be the media moguls, but they don’t get that making that content is hard. Giving it a platform is easy (though even getting it right isn’t).

But being the person in front of the camera, asking the questions and doing it well, that’s tough. It takes chops. And the good podcasters have them, usually developed through journalism or other media forms (Rogan through comedy, EX). But trying to do it off the cuff with no training - not easy. 

Musk is a below average public speaker (and that is being incredibly, incredibly generous.) David Sacks as far as I know has no experience hosting much of anything.

it was a prime example where they could have rolled out a surprise Tucker to host it...or literally anyone who has any experience as a host. but their egos can't allow them to do it

k76anfrc1tra1.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&v

their attempt to pivot to media is and will be a fantastic failure unless they start throwing very real money at their platform.

not because they can't make it happen from a "we are going to buy a bunch of content" perspective, but because their platform has huge internal issues. they fired everyone who knew where the landmines were and could potentially solve them/had any institutional knowledge, their existing platform wasn't built for this in the first place and they are led by people who genuinely don't know anything about even what an ideal state should look like. they leaned out as much as they could on staff and hardware so even if they start doing a bunch of work it's going to cost them.

if he had even the minimal amount of forethought he would have pivoted into building a platform for video/audio starting on October 26th (SEVEN MONTHS AGO!!!) and basically had a stealth startup going on the side this whole time with the goal of having a product ready to go before the election process really kicked off.

this desantis announcement would have been a fantastic time to reveal itself and show Twitter is for real as a multimedia platform.

instead, they couldn't even handle 15% of what Tucker Carlson's viewership was in Q1 (500k / 3.2m) for an audio only product.

oh yeah - and in order for someone like Tucker Carlson to make any money he has to make it via those who pay for a subscription...but their antipiracy team/tool is basically nonfunctional based on how often i keep seeing new movies pop up on twitter (mario, yesterday was John Wick 4 up for literal hours and hours) - so now all someone has to do is record Tucker's show whenever it comes on, then re-post it wherever and it will be up for a while.

idk what folks think of Tucker Carlson but he isn't a complete dummy and his team isn't all dummies. I'll believe he is going to be doing a show on Twitter the moment it goes live, until then it doesn't mean shit. no way for Twitter to recoup any money by selling ads/injecting them into their video product, so all they can do is take their cut of subscription $$ from people and that will absolutely not break even for the work they are going to have to do to have a functional video platform.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Kara swisher had a pretty good take down of the site on a Twitter thread. The downside is that she went beyond the character limit for embedding, so I’m going to need some time to unroll it. Here’s the start.

What really cracks me up is that you can’t even read it easily on the app or browser, they don’t even self embed well! You need to visit each post one by one to read it  (they all say Show more)

Musk pushed that as a "HEY LOOK I DID SOMETHING COOL FOR TWITTER BY EXPANDING THE CHARACTER LIMIT" like he was doing a great service to to users, but it was done in such a way as to force people to go visit the post on twitter, which is something you'd do if you wanted more traffic on the main website. Which tied into him effectively killing off third-party apps.

22 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Even now in May of 2023, Musk clearly still does not understand that users are the product and advertisers the customer.  Yaccarino may understand that, but she's just climbed into the pilot's seat as the plane is on fire and pointed at the ground.

It's honestly pretty shocking because they've had plenty of time to ready everything for this, and the fact that Elon was urging the millions of humans that follow him on twitter to tune in, they should have been prepared for a lot more traffic.  He has/had datacenters for a reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

their attempt to pivot to media is and will be a fantastic failure unless they start throwing very real money at their platform.

if he had even the minimal amount of forethought he would have pivoted into building a platform for video/audio starting on October 26th (SEVEN MONTHS AGO!!!) and basically had a stealth startup going on the side this whole time with the goal of having a product ready to go before the election process really kicked off.

Which is ironic, since the first major thing Musk did was start firing the very people who he could have tasked with being ready for this kind of stuff, especially since he talked about doing more audio/video last year, and some of the people from the Vine days were still around. None of this was a surprise (the election stuff) since this stuff is known years out, although my guess is the election stuff was not on his radar (even though it was probably on the radar of whatever engineers are still left from the old twitter) and this was all a lot of last-minute stuff.

I've got a friend who works at a company that has to worry about large-scale events (such as major sporting events, elections, etc.) and they have all of this stuff plotted out on calendars for years to come. They schedule upgrades/infrastructure work/design work around the downtime between major events that impact them.  Musk has had 7 months to get this shit ready for primetime.

this desantis announcement would have been a fantastic time to reveal itself and show Twitter is for real as a multimedia platform.

instead, they couldn't even handle 15% of what Tucker Carlson's viewership was in Q1 (500k / 3.2m) for an audio only product.

It'd be easy to blow it off as twitter is only the 15th largest (or 16th) social media company, but they have 500 million posts a day, with a lot of video and photo stuff thrown into the mix.

idk what folks think of Tucker Carlson but he isn't a complete dummy and his team isn't all dummies. I'll believe he is going to be doing a show on Twitter the moment it goes live, until then it doesn't mean shit. no way for Twitter to recoup any money by selling ads/injecting them into their video product, so all they can do is take their cut of subscription $$ from people and that will absolutely not break even for the work they are going to have to do to have a functional video platform.

And his people know that he could be up and running on YouTube with the snap of a finger and no problems, complete with anti-piracy stuff built-in, with the ability to handle the live streams, and with the ability to monetize it however he sees fit.

Musk is trying to make this all things to all people (the fabled X.com) and he needs to ask himself if this is making people think "yeah, I want to trust Musk with my banking, email, social media, shopping, etc.".

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Even if the only thing you knew about Elron was that one of his big upgrades to twitter was the 'show more' feature and that it's been active on the site for months now, you'd have more than enough evidence to rightly conclude he's highly incompetent at his job. 

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, NoName said:

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

And his people know that he could be up and running on YouTube with the snap of a finger and no problems, complete with anti-piracy stuff built-in, with the ability to handle the live streams, and with the ability to monetize it however he sees fit.

Tucker isn't on Twitter yet because Fox won't let him. I am in agreement with @NoName - I'll believe his show is happening if it goes live. Until then, Fox is basically saying "the only way you get in front of a camera on a show before 2025 is foregoing your $25 Million." That is $25 million well spent for them to keep him on the sidelines.

• Hook 'Em 1

Siri, what is "the glass cliff"? (from wikipedia)

The glass cliff is a hypothesized phenomenon of women being likelier than men to achieve leadership roles, such as executives in the corporate world and political election candidates, during periods of crisis or downturn, when the risk of failure is highest...a study at the University of Exeter examined the performance of FTSE 100 companies before and after the appointment of new board members, and found that companies that appointed women to their boards were likelier than others to have experienced consistently bad performance in the preceding five months. This work eventually developed into the identification of a phenomenon known as the glass cliff— analogous to the concept of a glass ceiling, but implying the inability to perceive the dangers of the cliff's transparent edge rather than the false promise of elevated organizational positions which can be "seen" through a ceiling of glass but which are actually unattainable.

from Wired: Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino Is Teetering on the Glass Cliff

But although Yaccarino is widely regarded in the ad industry as highly competent, people who study workplace gender dynamics see her as the latest victim of a pernicious pattern known as the glass cliff, in which women are more likely to be promoted into top jobs at organizations in crisis. That makes women leaders appear less likely to succeed, because they are drafted when times are toughest.

“In some ways I have yet to see a better definition of the glass cliff than the challenge Elon has set out here,” says Christy Glass, a sociologist at Utah State University who has studied the phenomenon. “This just seems to be the perfect storm of a situation at Twitter.”

Past examples of the glass cliff in tech include the appointment of Google executive Marissa Mayer as Yahoo CEO in 2012, when the company was rapidly losing ground to Google and Facebook. She eventually negotiated a $4.5 billion sale to Verizon and stepped down. Investor Ellen Pao was appointed CEO of Reddit in 2014 to clean up the platform but resigned in 2015 after backlash from users.

I don't think Yacc has even started her new job yet (I thought it was supposed to be 6 weeks after her resignation from nbcu) and she's already under fire.

So his idea of "pissing off both sides" is the entirety of the left but only the trumpy side of the right? Sounds right. Promoting vaccines and checking lies and misinformation during a global pandemic was too political, but actively promoting one of the most divisive politicians of all time, that's fair and balanced. I'll never see how this hypocrisy is so rampant with such large groups of people.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 4:00 PM, NoName said:

i don't think a twitter space would stay up if they had 1 million concurrent viewers.

this isn't perfect (link) but the most watched/listened to space was one with Robin Wheeler which is at 2.7m. th most live one was with Pakistan's former prime minister which had 164k live listeners. the one that Elon did in Dec had 97k

if they hit a million some server is going to catch on fire and burn down a datacenter somewhere.

i can't wait to see what kind of shitshow this is going to be. "a multiple of that" lol

per adweek in Q1 "The Five" became the most watched cable news program and averaged 3.26 m viewers per per broadcast (down from 3.41 in Q4) for q1 every fox show from 5- tp midnight averaged greater than 1.6m+ viewers. their 9-11am show averages 1.6 something and their 11a to noon show does as well. so they already drive 1.5m+ viewers on a random tuesday.

oh my god can you imagine if it comes out that Elon did purchase it though (not that i doubt Kara Swisher at all btw)

image.thumb.png.e1f432b6b3e9f051ed2768d690f50b2f.png

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

This is a pretty amazing take given when it was posted. 

Take a bow ser. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

That interior looks like shit.  

My brother-in-law's golf car that he tools around in his subdivision has a fancier interior.  And better looking.

It really does look like shit.

Good thing they've only had 3 1/2 years to work on the Cybertruck.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm starting to think Dough Boi likes disinformation as long as it's pro-fascist disinfo. Both articles are from today.

Twitter is making researchers delete data it gave them unless they pay $42,000 Move to hike price of academic access compared to ‘book burning’ amid fears it will harm fight against misinformation online

Academic researchers have been set a deadline of the end of the month to delete data they obtained under historic contracts to study Twitter, unless the pay a new $42,000-a-month contract – a demand one called “the big data equivalent of book burning”.

For years, Twitter provided academic access to a service called the decahose – a random sample of 10% of all Twitter’s firehose of tweets, which was always on. The decahose, access to which was brokered through Twitter’s API (application programming interface), was a special tool for academics, designed to let them monitor how conversations on the social media platform took place.

Researchers have used that data to track entire days on Twitter, to analyse the spread of disinformation and misinformation, and to track the rise of extremism and how that bleeds through to offline life.

Okay, so maybe Dough Boi has it in for academia, given his own failure to score a legit college degree sans bribery.

But there's also this, that makes clear, naaaah Dough Boi just likes certain disinformation.

Twitter to pull back from Europe’s disinformation crusade

Twitter is on the verge of withdrawing from one of the Europe Union's efforts to stamp out disinformation.

In the coming days, the social networking giant, which is owned by Elon Musk, is expected to end its participation in the bloc's code of practice of disinformation, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter, who were granted anonymity to speak to discuss internal discussions between the company and the European Commission.

That's gonna leave a mark.

https://jalopnik.com/whistleblower-drops-100-gigabytes-of-tesla-secrets-to-g-1850476542

A German news outlet sifted through over 23,000 of Tesla’s internal files and found a disturbing trend of brushing off customers complaining about dangerous Autopilot glitches while covering the company’s ass. 

The publication Handelsblatt got its hands on the data through an unnamed informant. Handelsblatt confirmed the data’s authenticity with Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology, which found no evidence of doctoring or fabrication in the files. Tesla attempted to stop the publication from using this data in its reporting and even threatened legal action against Handelsblatt. The publication, however, decided this was one of the extraordinary circumstances when reporting on such a data breach would be legal under European Union law.

It posted “My autopilot almost killed me”: Tesla files cast doubt on Elon Musk’s promises on Thursday. The story is both in German and behind a paywall, but the English translation is of excellent quality. Here’s a bit of the meat of it:

Spoiler

The Tesla files contain more than 2,400 self-acceleration complaints and more than 1,500 braking function problems, including 139 cases of unintentional emergency braking and 383 reported phantom stops resulting from false collision warnings. The number of crashes is more than 1000. A table of incidents involving driver assistance systems where customers have expressed safety concerns has more than 3000 entries.

The oldest complaints available to the Handelsblatt date from 2015, the most recent from March 2022. During this period, Tesla delivered around 2.6 million vehicles with the autopilot software. Most of the incidents took place in the US , but there are also complaints from Europe and Asia in the documents - including many from German Tesla drivers.

The Handelsblatt contacted dozens of customers from several countries. All confirmed the information from the Tesla files. In discussions, they gave insights into their experiences with the autopilot. Some disclosed their communication with the US automaker, others showed Handelsblatt reporters videos of the accident.

Customers from the U.S. and Europe told Handelsblatt Tesla wasn’t too interested in assisting with their issues, but seemed more intent on covering for the company. It turns out, this was explicit policy at Tesla:

How did the company deal with complaints? The Tesla files also provide information about this. The files show that employees have precise guidelines for communicating with customers. The top priority is obviously: offer as little attack surface as possible.

For each incident there are bullet points for the “technical review”. The employees who enter this review into the system regularly make it clear that the report is “for internal use only”. Each entry also contains a note in bold type that information, if at all, may only be passed on “VERBALLY to the customer”.

“Do not copy and paste the report below into an email, text message, or leave it in a voicemail to the customer,” it said. Vehicle data should also not be released without permission. If, despite the advice, “an involvement of a lawyer cannot be prevented”, this must be recorded.

Customers that Handelsblatt spoke to have the impression that Tesla employees avoid written communication. “They never sent emails, everything was always verbal,” says the doctor from California, whose Tesla said it accelerated on its own in the fall of 2021 and crashed into two concrete pillars.

Throughout the report, there is a refrain familiar to anyone who covers Tesla: “Tesla did not answer questions about the allegations from customers.” Some told Handelsblatt they either sold their Teslas or tried to give them back to the company, saying they couldn’t in good conscience let anyone else drive the car.

Elon Musk and Tesla had a hell of a 2022, and this year is shaping up to be no different. It was revealed a 2016 video of a self-driving Tesla was likely a hoaxmade with Musk’s approval and participation. Multiple lawsuits from everyone from shareholders to surviving family members of crash victims, are about to have their day in court. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administrationand Department of Justice are closing in.

The report goes into breathtaking detail of just about every hurdle Tesla is facing right now, and you can read the whole report in German and English here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

If the authorities actually go after Tesla for covering up or dismissing serious problems, I can only imagine what A) it'll do to Tesla's stock prices which will then affect B) how Musk is paying for Twitter, all of which will C) lead to awesome Musk hijinx as he spouts off even crazier shit on twitter.

I imagine it ends with him accusing the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Department of Justice of all being pedophiles.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?