RIP Carl Weathers

mdmost

Yeah, if you objectively look back.  He wasn't overly-talented or overly-cast.  But think about every single movie or TV show you saw him in, he stood out to you---didn't he?  I don't know if he or his agent were being strategic or whatever showbiz  bullshit...but every single fucking time you saw Carl Weathers on a screen...be in action, comedy, or drama...with just a few scenes...he fucking killed it despite not having a huge amount of natural talent.  

He had a few gifts, don't get me wrong.  Tall, handsome, well built, nice smile, funny patterns, action agility, dominating drama capabilities.  Baby, you put that altogether...and got yourself a stew! 

• Hook 'Em 5

According to this, John Madden told Carl Weathers to pursue acting because he did not believe Weathers was tough enough to be an outstanding football player.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/carl-weathers-john-madden-apollo-creed-sylvester-stallone-rocky-las-vegas-raiders

When Weathers was with the Raiders, future Hall of Fame Coach John Madden went to see him play the lead in “Othello,” and reportedly told him afterward to pursue his second career because Madden didn’t believe he was tough enough to be an outstanding pro football player.

“I was good enough to fool ’em, but never dedicated enough to become a great player,” Weathers recalled of his pro career. “Up to a point, everybody can capitalize on the fact that nobody knows what’s going on. I could make coaches believe I could do what they wanted me to do, but that’s not the same as pushing yourself. The great ones are willing to work harder.

“I was still looking to hop out of football as soon as I made some headway with acting. I forced the issue by exaggerating a little. In L.A., I lied about having acting credits up in San Francisco. How can they bother to verify your claim that you studied at ACT (the American Conservatory Theater) or worked as an extra in ‘Dirty Harry’? They can’t. But if you run scared, you’ll never get what you want.”

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

One of the best rounds of slug it out boxing put on film.  The music, Apollo's reaction when Rocky gets up AGAIN....just great

That should have been way more than a ten count. 

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

One of the best rounds of slug it out boxing put on film.  The music, Apollo's reaction when Rocky gets up AGAIN....just great

Rocky is a Top-5 all timer for me, just an outstanding movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I didn't know that was a real painting.  That's fucking awesome.  He could easily get millions for it.

LeRoy Nieman was the artist. Also a cameo as the ring announcer for the Rocky v Thunderlips match. He was pretty famous at the time, are you a youngster?

On 2/3/2024 at 8:09 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

LeRoy Nieman was the artist. Also a cameo as the ring announcer for the Rocky v Thunderlips match. He was pretty famous at the time, are you a youngster?

I remember when Burger King had LeRoy Nieman posters for decor back in the late 70's