(Laugh at Slorch) Rented a 2024 Kia EV6

Inadvertently accepted it on my Ap and got to the car and realized it was Lectric.  No big deal. It drives fine.

That being said, where the fuck can I charge it? Some sites say you cannot use a Tesla supercharger and I am unfamiliar with the different ports/ adapters on the different vehicles.

Is there an easy site/ link or way to look up places to charge?

Also, if it says 186 miles of range, is 130-140miles of highway risky?

Fire away with comments or whatever, I’m down for that, but could use a little help deciphering the code.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How in the hell did a rental company not tip you off to recharge requirements, a map, etc.?

Hertz if you book an economy size car they automatically give you an electric car now, that’s what an employee told me.   I thought that was odd too.  

39 minutes ago, slorch said:

That being said, where the fuck can I charge it? Some sites say you cannot use a Tesla supercharger and I am unfamiliar with the different ports/ adapters on the different vehicles.

Go to Electrify America https://www.electrifyamerica.com/ and there is a place to locate chargers for your make and model by adding your location.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder what the EV in EV6 means

Indeed.  I mean I was flipping between a F-150 and a Midsize Kia. I don’t like the larger vehicle in foreign territory. And virtually every car has 3-4 extra letters in the title.

Again, the car is fine, and once I identify solutions on the charging piece, it’s all good.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, TexasCPA said:

Do they make you fill/charge that bad boy up before returning it? 

It was on 78% when I started it, so survey says, "no!"

Then again, our contract has some payoff where we never fill them up before returning it, so no difference for me.

1 hour ago, TexasCPA said:

Do they make you fill/charge that bad boy up before returning it? 

They charge you $35 if below level where you picked it up at. (More than 5% diff).

What sucks is you don't know how charged they are too on reservation. Could be 60%....hope you weren't counting on fully charged like the gas vehicles on pickup 

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

How in the hell did a rental company not tip you off to recharge requirements, a map, etc.?

Rented from Hertz several times recently, they don’t tell you anything. 

47 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So....how fast is it? 

It accelerates fine.  I did not speed, but it  was good in traffic.  No issues with the actual vehicle.

Full disclosure: I took it back this morning and exchanged it. Last night,  I got to looking at my route over the next 7 days and I'm just not going to be dealing with the stress/ planning of charging stops.  It's ridiculous in a rural area.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

It accelerates fine.  I did not speed, but it  was good in traffic.  No issues with the actual vehicle.

Full disclosure: I took it back this morning and exchanged it. Last night,  I got to looking at my route over the next 7 days and I'm just not going to be dealing with the stress/ planning of charging stops.  It's ridiculous in a rural area.

Yeah, I'm pro EV, we've even talked about getting one as our next car.  But it sure won't be the vehicle I take fishing and hunting.  I go enough places where gas stations are few and far between, I'm not going to run out of battery somewhere in the sticks.  That's just a basic limitation on EVs -- they're plenty useful in urban environments, not so much in the sticks.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I'm pro EV, we've even talked about getting one as our next car.  But it sure won't be the vehicle I take fishing and hunting.  I go enough places where gas stations are few and far between, I'm not going to run out of battery somewhere in the sticks.  That's just a basic limitation on EVs -- they're plenty useful in urban environments, not so much in the sticks.

That should be pretty readily fixable so long as there's any sort of electric utility line nearby. Even the loneliest stretches of highway often have a power line alongside. Just a matter of hanging chargers off the poles.

Get your kids into being electricians.

• Drool 1

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

That should be pretty readily fixable so long as there's any sort of electric utility line nearby. Even the loneliest stretches of highway often have a power line alongside. Just a matter of hanging chargers off the poles.

With 6 months, the biggest rural side hustle will be selling gently used EV chargers on EBay.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Biggest reason I haven't got one.  Yeah, there's a charging station in my town, but I spend enough time on long drives in rural places that it's just not worth the headache.

My brother lives in St Paul and has a Chevy Bolt that he uses to run errands around town, and the full size NIssan SUV for leaving urbanity (and fitting his family).  Seems like it's an extremely sensible mix for their life situation (live in urban area but family's all 2+ hours away in BFE).

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Nahh....the copper inside will already have been stripped out and sold for scrap metal prices to buy meth.

snipping wires from high voltage system is... a lifestyle choice

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

snipping wires from high voltage system is... a lifestyle choice

At my last job, we had a lot of high power equipment (generators, transfer switches, etc.) parked in the parking lot behind our research lab.  Thieves hit us a couple of times, stealing copper.  One of our engineers (who tended to be a pretty independent thinker) decided to hide out in the switch yard over night and catch these guys.  The moment they pulled up, he called 911 and the cops were there within minutes, catching the crooks red-handed.

I would have preferred they had electrocuted themselves, but at least they got to spend some time in the pokey.

On 2/21/2024 at 10:08 AM, Brisketexan said:

The fine dining establishments that you frequent may not even sell electricity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:08 AM, Brisketexan said:

There’s a supercharger for teslas in llano. And there’s a chain of them on the road to rockport. I’ve even taken it to NB if I’m going to the guad and east to float the Colorado. I mean it’s kind of a pussy car for fishing compared to a diesel truck but it’ll do. 

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

There’s a supercharger for teslas in llano. And there’s a chain off them on the road to rockport. I’ve even taken it to NB if I’m going to the guad and east to float the Colorado. I mean it’s kind of a pussy car for fishing compared to a diesel truck but it’ll do. 

The fish don’t care. 

28 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Missed an opportunity.  "Yes, you can use my charger....if you open up your coat and show me the goods."  Then, you either get to see her nekkid, or you get to hear her offended shrieking in that godawful accent.  Either way, winning.

On 2/20/2024 at 5:08 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder what the EV in EV6 means

I’m going to roll this back a little big and acknowledge that many times you are selecting a vehicle class and not a specific model- in the vein of Ford Escape or similar.   So he may have arrived not knowing which exact vehicle he would be given. 

This week i was on my next rental at ORD.  4 e-vehicles listed.  WTF?

I cycle through and about 10 min later, it finally offers me a traditional rental.  Boom. Done.  Again, I am driving considerable distance and don't have the time/ inclination to mess with managing charging stops.

Got home yesterday and I'm like, something has to be fucked up in my profile.  None of my preferred vehicle are remotely EV selections.  I go look at it, and my #1 choice is E-class, and not a fucking Mercedes either.  I never changed it.  It happened in the last 2 weeks.  I haven't even opened my profile since about November.

Not saying AVIS changed it, but something is haywire.  I'm not opposed to renting an EV if I'm in a metro only run and charging stops are not an issue; which is going to be hardly ever for me.  I changed it back to what it should be and hopefully it stays put.  

17 hours ago, slorch said:

This week i was on my next rental at ORD.  4 e-vehicles listed.  WTF?

I cycle through and about 10 min later, it finally offers me a traditional rental.  Boom. Done.  Again, I am driving considerable distance and don't have the time/ inclination to mess with managing charging stops.

Got home yesterday and I'm like, something has to be fucked up in my profile.  None of my preferred vehicle are remotely EV selections.  I go look at it, and my #1 choice is E-class, and not a fucking Mercedes either.  I never changed it.  It happened in the last 2 weeks.  I haven't even opened my profile since about November.

Not saying AVIS changed it, but something is haywire.  I'm not opposed to renting an EV if I'm in a metro only run and charging stops are not an issue; which is going to be hardly ever for me.  I changed it back to what it should be and hopefully it stays put.  

You will be drug into the future, kicking and screaming if need be. 

Posted (edited)

Well last week, I also would have also  been walking because that sumbeech was not making it on one charge.  LOL.

I honestly was intrigued by the opportunity to test it out and see what I thought about driving it both in town and out on the open road. At the end of the week, my little experiment on my employer's dime would be complete.  Then I looked at charging stations in rural Iowa.  Might as well have been looking for a Bucees.  Had to swap it out, or I would have been fucked.

Edited by slorch

On 2/20/2024 at 6:56 PM, slorch said:

Inadvertently accepted it on my Ap and got to the car and realized it was Lectric.  No big deal. It drives fine.

Is there an easy site/ link or way to look up places to charge?

Also, if it says 186 miles of range, is 130-140miles of highway risky?

Fire away with comments or whatever, I’m down for that, but could use a little help deciphering the code.

Put "EV charger" into Google Maps. They'll show up. Most interstates and major metros have some level of coverage these days. Electrify America charges pretty quick (I charged a rental EV from 30% to 70% in about 20 mins in a Target parking lot) and charging is cheap. My understanding is EVs work best between 20% and 80% charge but not an expert.

45 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Put "EV charger" into Google Maps. They'll show up. Most interstates and major metros have some level of coverage these days. Electrify America charges pretty quick (I charged a rental EV from 30% to 70% in about 20 mins in a Target parking lot) and charging is cheap. My understanding is EVs work best between 20% and 80% charge but not an expert.

I think in order to maximize battery life, its best not to go below 20% or charge above 80%. Battery should work the same no matter how much charge it has, unless it gets really really low (<~5%).

But yeah, charging stations are out there, you just don't see them because they aren't advertised on giant signs like gas stations usually are.