AT&T Wireless down

RPM

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Might be a LTE vs 5G thing.  Few coworkers here have older iPhones that are LTE only.  Those that have newer 5G capable phones are dead.

Meanwhile, in the admin meeting I’m currently in I’m slogging through. I’m posting this from my iPad.

Also, ATT internet is fine.  Wife is working from home today; we have ATT fiber and she’s not having issues.

Maybe. My internet was also fine when I left the house 

• RPM changed the title to AT&T Wireless down
17 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

JosephStang told y'all this was gonna happen like 2 days ago. Any believers yet??

jodie foster ok GIF

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Gotta be a hack.

ATT has redundancy out its goatse.

Never attribute to malice what can more easily be explained by incompetence

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Lot of people didn’t pay their bill !

I'm surprised their billing system has not crashed. First thing I checked when I got to the office this morning was that I was paid up. Everyone I have talked to has done the same.

3 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I'm surprised their billing system has not crashed. First thing I checked when I got to the office this morning was that I was paid up. Everyone I have talked to has done the same.

More bandwidth allocated to payment system vs. actual phone system may be the most capitalistic thing I've ever heard.

Karl Marx eat your heart out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Powerful twin solar flares erupt from sun as cell phone outages spike across US

Two outbursts from the sun caused widespread cellphone outages throughout the United States on Thursday (Feb. 22).

Two powerful solar flares erupted from the sun on the evening of Wednesday (Feb. 21) and during the early morning of Thursday (Feb. 22). An X1.8-class flare occurred at 6:07 p.m. ET (2307 GMT) on Feb. 21, and another, an X1.7 class flare, erupted at 1:32 a.m. ET (0632 GMT) on Feb. 22. The flares erupted from a region of the sun that "continues to exhibit strong magnetic complexity," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) wrote in a statement about the events. 

"No apparent CMEs resulting from these events have been observed as of the time of this writing, but can not be ruled out," the agency added. Nevertheless, NOAA issued an alert today for a solar radio emission at 6:58 a.m. ET (1158 GMT), which are sometimes joined by strong coronal mass ejections (CME) and solar radiation storms.

Meanwhile, nationwide throughout the United States, widespread cellular outages were reported on Thursday morning following the solar flares. According to The Associated Press,tens of thousands of outages were reported by major cellular carriers such as AT&T, Verzion and T-Mobile.

It remains unclear if the two events are related, but reports of outages appeared to begin around the same time as the solar flares.

The effects of these flares might continue to be felt for days. In a forecast discussion posted at 7:30 a.m. ET (1230 GMT) on Thursday (Feb. 22), NOAA wrote that an "eruptive filament" was seen exploding from the northwest quadrant of the sun's visible disk on Feb. 21.

While most of the energetic material that erupted outward is expected to pass ahead of Earth in its orbit around the sun, a "glancing influence" might be possible on Feb. 25, NOAA added.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

More bandwidth allocated to payment system vs. actual phone system may be the most capitalistic thing I've ever heard.

Karl Marx eat your heart out.

Yeah, I had that realization after I hit submit. Of Course the billing system is up. I'd imagine that would work after an EMP.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

Two outbursts from the sun caused widespread cellphone outages throughout the United States on Thursday (Feb. 22).

Two powerful solar flares erupted from the sun on the evening of Wednesday (Feb. 21) and during the early morning of Thursday (Feb. 22). An X1.8-class flare occurred at 6:07 p.m. ET (2307 GMT) on Feb. 21, and another, an X1.7 class flare, erupted at 1:32 a.m. ET (0632 GMT) on Feb. 22. The flares erupted from a region of the sun that "continues to exhibit strong magnetic complexity," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) wrote in a statement about the events. 

"No apparent CMEs resulting from these events have been observed as of the time of this writing, but can not be ruled out," the agency added. Nevertheless, NOAA issued an alert today for a solar radio emission at 6:58 a.m. ET (1158 GMT), which are sometimes joined by strong coronal mass ejections (CME) and solar radiation storms.

Meanwhile, nationwide throughout the United States, widespread cellular outages were reported on Thursday morning following the solar flares. According to The Associated Press,tens of thousands of outages were reported by major cellular carriers such as AT&T, Verzion and T-Mobile.

It remains unclear if the two events are related, but reports of outages appeared to begin around the same time as the solar flares.

The effects of these flares might continue to be felt for days. In a forecast discussion posted at 7:30 a.m. ET (1230 GMT) on Thursday (Feb. 22), NOAA wrote that an "eruptive filament" was seen exploding from the northwest quadrant of the sun's visible disk on Feb. 21.

While most of the energetic material that erupted outward is expected to pass ahead of Earth in its orbit around the sun, a "glancing influence" might be possible on Feb. 25, NOAA added.

Those darn solar flares that only target the US. They must use the same targeting system that the Jewish Space Lasers do. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

Sunflares can target 5G connections, but not LTE?  My older ATT LTE phones have 0 probs.  All newer 5G iPhones are out.

Maybe I'm just dumb.

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

Those darn solar flares that only target the US. They must use the same targeting system that the Jewish Space Lasers do. 

ATT didn't recite the hadiths in the correct manner, and the solar rectification has commenced.   

• Haha 3

Update of sorts.

Just got a call from mom.  She has an iPhone 8 she will not ever give up, because it has a button.   She is on our ATT phone plan.  I have an iPhone 15 Pro. I have wifi calling turned on, and my phone is connected to work wifi.

She's blissfully unaware there is an ATT outage. Said she had talked to a couple of her friends today (no idea if they are on ATT or whatever).

So, some credence to the 4G/LTE vs 5G phone possibility thing I mentioned earlier.

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

So it turns out Pimphand is a prophet and we are sheeple.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

How are you going to do that without a functioning cell phone? I don't have any hard copies of newspapers or magazines, so I am literally shit out of luck.

My cell phone works.  My Google Fiber does not. 

Have you considered cuniform tablets in case your other tablet doesn't work?

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Update of sorts.

Just got a call from mom.  She has an iPhone 8 she will not ever give up, because it has a button.   She is on our ATT phone plan.  I have an iPhone 15 Pro. I have wifi calling turned on, and my phone is connected to work wifi.

She's blissfully unaware there is an ATT outage. Said she had talked to a couple of her friends today (no idea if they are on ATT or whatever).

So, some credence to the 4G/LTE vs 5G phone possibility thing I mentioned earlier.

Wife(no pics) has a iPhone 15 pro and is having no issues, although my kids 12 and 13 don't have service.  The issue/rumor of a sim card database registry kind of makes sense at this point.

3 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Wife(no pics) has a iPhone 15 pro and is having no issues, although my kids 12 and 13 don't have service.  The issue/rumor of a sim card database registry kind of makes sense at this point.

Right? I get it could be an older phone/newer phone LTE/5G whatever, but it hit people sporadically in certain cities regardless of type of phone.  And some people with e-Sims are less affected.