I did not know that... trivial stuff you just learned

locodos

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Obviously if it’s in self defense, do what you gotta do.  He was talking about game hunting.  And yeah, as the article points out—-people in rural Florida leave all kinds of shit outside at night which attract bears like food, coolers, toddlers, Pontiacs, etc.  if they’d wise up and clean up, bears wouldn’t come around.  

Bears are all in and around Orlando / central and western Florida.  So not just in the sticks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I spent a few years in Florida and a lotta time at the beach.  Never saw a bear there but these were crowded beaches.  But I’m picturing a Florida Bear racing down New Smyrna sand in his lifted truck and getting out with a sixer of keystone light to smash ass and get gash

IMG_7735.jpeg.63295e142c9620d38f731854e74a9ba3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What’s the big deal?  Just a bear trying to complete CEU’s at a commuter school.  

CEU’s, doctor?

yes, “consuming edible undergraduates.”  

They had a giraffe running around USF's campus, but it had escaped from Busch Gardens, no word on if you can shoot one, yet.

This is peak Florida.  Big Cypress National Preserve   Leave no trace and whatnot.

IMG_2192 - Copy.jpg

Edited by locodos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, locodos said:

They're basically like chonky Labradors.  

Until they're not.  But I completely get the point.  I doubt this bill has any material impact other than doing what most bills do:  make people 'feel' better.

I'm still blown away by beach bears.....

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Black Bear was a common food stuff in North Carolina in the 19th and early 20th century. I'm assuming it taste like garbage.

If you read all the old literature from the trappers, etc. it was a delicacy.  Venison was survival food.  It was the hides they wanted - that's why they call the males a "buck" (According to Steve RInella anyway).  I've had it multiple times and it's fantastic.  Like hogs, they do taste like what they eat and with all predators, you have to cook the meat longer to ensure no parasites are still alive.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

if you’re living in a place that has ‘too many bears’, that’s not the bear’s problem.  That’s a you’re a fucking idiot problem.  

grizzly.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

On 3/17/2024 at 6:35 AM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Bill Murray is close friends with the guy that married Kelly Lynch. For over 30 years, he’s made it a point to call his friend when Road House is on to let him know Patrick Swayze is railing his wife against a wall. 

Every time Road House is on and he or one of his idiot brothers are watching TV — and they’re always watching TV — one of them calls my husband and says [In a reasonable approximation of Carl Spackler], “Kelly’s having sex with Patrick Swayze right now. They’re doing it. He’s throwing her against the rocks.” [Away from the receiver.] What? Oh, my God. Mitch was just walking out the door to the set, and he said that Bill once called him from Russia.

https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/bill-murray-likes-to-call-kelly-lynchs-husband-every-time-he-sees-patrick-swayze-having-sex-with-her-in-road-house/

• Like 1

I didn’t realize till I moved to Europe that they don’t have black bears and that all the bears are brown bears— of which the grizzly is a subspecies. 

Anyway, there are now somewhere around 1000 in Slovakia which is a lot for a small country of 5 million.  Here’s one that stirred up things in Liptovsky Mikulas, which is a decent sized town.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

On 3/18/2024 at 5:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

Well, there's different kinds of meat.  Axis and Nilgai are different than whitetail or beef.  I love Axis -- it's the best venison around.  

So, I mean....killing an animal to eat it is killing an animal to eat it.  Pig, cow, sheep, we kill all of those for a different kind of meat.  Not sure why an Axis or Nilgai should be treated differently.

Nilgai are a different one to me.  I know some ranches manage them (and you can make a killing selling guided hunts).

But in the lower RGV and brush country they are just feral.  There’s too many of them. They don’t belong there, really. Kill all you want how you want. Most nilgai hunts are a challenge anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

The Buddha got fat after he became enlightened.

Greece had Buddhist monks, before China, Korea, or Japan.

Iconographical evolution of the Greek Herakles into the Japanese Shukongoshin.

Heracles-Shukongoshin.JPG

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, RPM said:

Errbody knows the yolks where its at. I'd knife a sumbitch that only dipped his toast in runny white.

Yeah, I dipped your mom's toast in my runny white.  Dammit, I had something for this.  

So there are a lot of people with allergies to the yolk itself.  csb/ My wife took me years ago to this MD who was a nutrition expert.  Turns out after some joint and skin issues, she really was borderline celiac.  I thought it was all bullshit, and maybe it was just osmosis/placebo, but she really did look and feel a lot better after making some changes.  So to be a good sport about it, I went and got some testing done but to double-check his "practice", I didn't disclose any personal health information or heritage, other than basically saying you can drawn my blood and here's my DOB and I don't have a current heart condition.  So a few days later, he gives me the results of my food allergens.  A couple of rare fruits and some other weird shit I never even eat anyway.  But he gets to eggs.  And says, you have a very rare egg allergen where unlike the non-yolk people, you shouldn't eat the white part which is common for people of Iberian-Sephardic Jew lineage (which again he didn't know when I gave my samples).  Which I am 50% of, and there's only a few thousand of us in the United States.  So I was actually surprised he seemed to know what the fuck he was doing.  I still eat all of the egg, I just get tired of eggs multiple times a week because I'm older and grumpier now.  But one of my daughters has the same marker (though she's only 25% obviously).  /csb

I think most food allergies in the West are just bullshit trends but there really are some legit ones based on thousands of years of heredity.  Shit, now I can't remember the fruit I'm not supposed to eat.  Welp, off to Whole Foods to buy some random produce.  See y'all on the other side...

• Haha 1

The fact that any skin test for almost any nut I take causes giant welts would seem to indicate I have severe nut allergies.  (So does my wife, hey-o.)

Also, the fact that I puke within seconds of eating any nuts but almonds.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The fact that any skin test for almost any nut I take causes giant welts would seem to indicate I have severe nut allergies.  (So does my wife, hey-o.)

Are you sure?

What about.......

image.png.bce9bb21b4bcbef183f4f7c929372f41.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

• Haha 2

On 3/19/2024 at 6:20 AM, BabaYaga said:

There are already stringent rules for predation and livestock.   VERY stringent rules that are treated as most LEO's would treat a homicide in many states.  Detectives.  Forensics.  The works.  This is a loosening of such rules that basically doesn't force you to wait until you or your livestock are being attacked to respond.  

@mooseoutfront can probably better speak to this in AK, but from what I have read, it's taken with the utmost seriousness when a bear/wolf is taken with no tags.

You do not want to get caught with an illegally taken animal here. The penalties are extremely severe. 

That being said, defending yourself from a dangerous animal happens. You notify the authorities and they come out and investigate. They also confiscate the animal, so there’s no bullshit stories about “It was coming right for us!!” and then you get to take it to the taxidermist to show everyone how much of a bad ass you are. 

Taxidermists are also required to report you to the authorities if you bring in an animal without all the required paperwork.

Leave predators alone, unless it’s gonna be a fair fight…use a spear instead of a gun. That would actually impress me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Leave predators alone, unless it’s gonna be a fair fight…use a spear instead of a gun. That would actually impress me. 

Be a tigrero, like Sasha Siemel.  Killed 31 jaguars with a spear.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Siemel

membersspotlight-sashasiemel-fb.jpg

That is a badass.

Although the jaguar is my favorite big cat, and I think it sucks that he killed so many.  Was a different time.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Be a tigrero, like Sasha Siemel.  Killed 31 jaguars with a spear.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Siemel

membersspotlight-sashasiemel-fb.jpg

That is a badass.

Although the jaguar is my favorite big cat, and I think it sucks that he killed so many.  Was a different time.

Jaguars are awesome. They used to be at home in the RGV and up into brush country.  They had a stuffed one at the Laguna Atascosia wildlife reserve welcome center that explained how they’d lived there and then been extirpated by mid-20th century. 

Still, I was obsessed, believing when we walked around that MAYBE they’d missed one, MAYBE one crossed over from Mexico and might still be lurking. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Jaguars are awesome. They used to be at home in the RGV and up into brush country.  They had a stuffed one at the Laguna Atascosia wildlife reserve welcome center that explained how they’d lived there and then been extirpated by mid-20th century. 

Still, I was obsessed, believing when we walked around that MAYBE they’d missed one, MAYBE one crossed over from Mexico and might still be lurking. 

Oh, the fact that they are a Texas native (man....would be SO cool if they ever returned) is a big part of why they're my favorite cat.  And they were at home well beyond the brush country....check this out, the Goldthwaite jaguar: https://wildtexashistory.com/goldthwaite-jaguar-1903/

tx-yearbook-jaguar-1-e1585582296258-923x

Image above from a book in 1930.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

the Sphinx has a tail and its bizarre

cairo-gizeh-344.jpg

ive only seen it from the front

Does it also have an anus underneath? 

"Sphinx's Anus" would be a decent band name for the right kind of act. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1