Selection Sunday

Pancho

wow, just looked at the box score for our '22 game against Purdue.  They had a guy shoot 1 for 7 in FGs, who was sent to the Free Throw line 9 times.  

Our entire starting starting lineup goes to the line ..........you got it........9 times.  How did Beard not get thrown out of the game, throwing the biggest fit ever?

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bitch you can just ignore it. It’s not a rule. But our fanbase does what they do so…

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Jesus Christ man, stop taking yourself so fucking seriously. It’s a fucking internet fan board; you could take your own advice and ignore what people here say, since the vast majority of it offends your clearly superior basketball intellect.

Posted (edited)

Oof, exited a text chain with the whopping 9-member Central Texas alumnus chapter of Stetson University.  Here we were all giddy about the first tourney bid in school D-1 history.  Got cocky, thought maybe we'd get a #15.  Nope, bottom seed straight up against overall #1 UCONN.  Well, it's been real.  

Texas actually does have, homerism aside, a decent pull as a #7.  Given who would likely be ahead in the two rounds afterwards.  Our little corner of the bracket seems relatively 'normalized.'  Because there is some batshit weird stuff in much of the other regions.  

Edited by YGIFS

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Our history as a No. 7 seed isn't great regardless.

We were a 6 in 2022, beat 11 seed VT and lost to 3 seed Purdue. Is Gerry drunk?

• Pancho unpinned this topic
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So we’re 2-1 as a favorite and 0-2 as a dog?

That 1999 team was just worn the fuck out by the end of the year. We started 0-4 but got things turned around with a short bench, and by mid-February we were playing as well as anyone. It caught up to us in the end; we lost to Missouri at home with a chance to win the conference, struggled against a shitty Colorado team and lost to Okie Lite in the B12 tourney, and dropped this game in Boston. Was a great season, but the light roster was just done by March.

That Duke game pissed me off; I’m not generally one to blame officiating for a loss, but they were particularly bad this game, even more so on any call on either end of the floor involving Damian James. The 2014 team was completely overmatched against Michigan, the better team definitely won that game…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stop taking our first round game for granted!!!

look, a world can't exist where Tennessee and Texas face each other in the tournament, because it's impossible for both Barnes AND Terry to lose in the second round. Somebody gotta lose in the first round.

Probably both.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Yeah, not terribly worried about our historical seeding considering I think that '99 team, Chris Ogden was still drinking underage at bars and Brandy Perryman had just met the woman he'd fertilize with our current Perryman.  Seeding history (that's what Mrs. Perryman said) from 25 years ago means fuck all to a buncha 19 year olds who actually got a decent draw.  

Although speaking of the late 90's/early 2000's, wasn't one of those years, we beat Indiana State who got snubbed today.  I was just watching a video on Larry Bird late last night when I couldn't sleep.  Daughter was watching the selection show with me and asked me why Indiana State was so upset.  I couldn't really explain.  Then she asked me about University of Indiana.  I said, "Well, there's not actually a University of Indiana.  Their official name is Indiana University."  To which she replies, "Oh, so like I.U. is like O.U."  And I had to say, "Well not, their real name is actually I.U., the University of Oklahoma calls themselves O.U. because they can't spell and that's why they're not in the tournament."  I am so proud of her.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We've got a very good draw imo. I am used to getting hosed by the selection committee, so this is a pleasant surprise. Of course they had to set up a potential matchup between Barnes and his former school and assistant in the second round.

the only other option was Arizona as a 2.  wouldn't put us with the clones.

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, not terribly worried about our historical seeding considering I think that '99 team, Chris Ogden was still drinking underage at bars and Brandy Perryman had just met the woman he'd fertilize with our current Perryman.  Seeding history (that's what Mrs. Perryman said) from 25 years ago means fuck all to a buncha 19 year olds who actually got a decent draw.  

Although speaking of the late 90's/early 2000's, wasn't one of those years, we beat Indiana State who got snubbed today.  I was just watching a video on Larry Bird late last night when I couldn't sleep.  Daughter was watching the selection show with me and asked me why Indiana State was so upset.  I couldn't really explain.  Then she asked me about University of Indiana.  I said, "Well, there's not actually a University of Indiana.  Their official name is Indiana University."  To which she replies, "Oh, so like I.U. is like O.U."  And I had to say, "Well not, their real name is actually I.U., the University of Oklahoma calls themselves O.U. because they can't spell and that's why they're not in the tournament."  I am so proud of her.

lobo, sometimes your posts are legit works of art

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s March madness so fuck all the rt sucks stuff, I can get back into that if we lose. I’d love to catch fire(and we have the shooters that can) and make a run. Would be fun. Let’s go!!! 

This team absolutely has the talent to beat anyone. Hell we gave Uconn a decent run without Disu  and went to OT with Houston. We can obviously also lose to most anyone in the tournament. Our problem is consistency which doesn't bode well for a deep run, but there isnt a single team in the country that would take our squad lightly. If you cant hold off bitching about RT for a week or two and get into sunshine mode, you got issues.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

look, a world can't exist where Tennessee and Texas face each other in the tournament, because it's impossible for both Barnes AND Terry to lose in the second round. Somebody gotta lose in the first round.

Probably both.

Who wants to lose it more ????? Stay tuned !!!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

When will game times be announced?

it used to be pretty late on sunday evening, but in the past couple of years it feels like it's been much earlier.  we may start to see stuff trickle out in the next couple of hours.

First odds I have seen (betMGM) 

East Region

No. 1 UConn (-26.5) vs. No. 16 Stetson

No. 8 Florida Atlantic (-1.5) vs. No. 9 Northwestern

No. 5 San Diego State (-7.5) vs. No. 12 UAB

No. 4 Auburn (-12.5) vs. No. 13 Yale

No. 6 BYU (-7.5) vs. No. 11 Duquesne

No. 3 Illinois (-13.5) vs. No. 14 Morehead State

No. 7 Washington State (-1.5) vs. No. 10 Drake

No. 2 Iowa State (-16.5) vs. No. 15 South Dakota State

South Region

No. 1 Houston (-23.5) vs. No. 16 Longwood

No. 8 Nebraska (-2.5) vs. No. 9 Texas A&M

No. 5 Wisconsin (-5.5) vs. No. 12 James Madison

No. 4 Duke (-11.5) vs. No. 13 Vermont

No. 6 Texas Tech (-5.5) vs. No. 11 NC State

No. 3 Kentucky (-12.5) vs. No. 14 Oakland

No. 2 Marquette (-14.5) vs. No. 15 Western Kentucky

Midwest Region

No. 8 Utah State vs. No. 9 TCU (-3.5)

No. 5 Gonzaga (-6.5) vs. No. 12 McNeese State

No. 4 Kansas (-8.5) vs. No. 13 Samford

No. 6 South Carolina (-1.5) vs. No. 11 Oregon

No. 3 Creighton (-12.5) vs. No. 14 Akron

No. 2 Tennessee (-18) vs. No. 15 St. Peter's

West Region

No. 8 Mississippi State vs. No. 9 Michigan State (-1.5)

No. 5 St. Mary's (-5.5) vs. No. 12 Grand Canyon

No. 4 Alabama (-10.5) vs. No. 13 Charleston

No. 6 Clemson vs. No. 11 New Mexico (-1.5)

No. 3 Baylor (-12.5) vs. No. 14 Colgate

No. 7 Dayton vs. No. 10 Nevada (-1.5)

No. 2 Arizona (-20.5) vs. No. 15 Long Beach State

47 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Kind of a Jagoff comment from Lunardi. I saw some coaches have spoken out against him a few times this season. H’e on TV as soon as the first ball is tipped. He puts himself out there enough so he is, in my mind, fair game for what he says.

That being said, I’m not happy Pitt didn’t get in but, the loss to Missouri I think really killed them. The loss to Florida not as much since they got better as the season went on. But, gotta win some more games.

I’m not a huge fan of Lunardi. He’s as annoying as the Heisman talk Labor Day weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m not a huge fan of Lunardi. He’s as annoying as the Heisman talk Labor Day weekend

He's a tool, but I have to respect his ability to craft an identity as the "bracketology expert" even though I've seen nothing to indicate he knows more than any other media member. M'fer will have to put out a "way too early 2025 bracketology update" in mid-april, and then gets to fuck off for 6 months before returning to a job that requires no accountability. I don't care what he gets paid, it's too much. I gotta tip my cap in that regard. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He's a tool, but I have to respect his ability to craft an identity as the "bracketology expert" even though I've seen nothing to indicate he knows more than any other media member. M'fer will have to put out a "way too early 2025 bracketology update" in mid-april, and then gets to fuck off for 6 months before returning to a job that requires no accountability. I don't care what he gets paid, it's too much. I gotta tip my cap in that regard. 

Both Lunardi and Crème (WBB) really sniff their own farts about their brackets and don’t like being wrong. Creme got a little huffy about Texas being a 1 seed over Stanford because he was adamant Texas didn’t have a 1 seed resume.

Lunardi acting like Pitt’s NCSOS was so egregious with TCU’s was worse…they’re so thin skinned 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

You do you chief. There’s a difference between considering and just auto assuming, which most of our fanbase does. there’s nothing wrong with looking a a potential matchup with Barnes in the 2nd round as long as you also mention our 1st round game and should we get past that. Our fans just assume we will get past that. 

there’s nothing in this season that shows you we will auto win our 1st round game. That’s all.

Yea but actually none of this matters. Let’s fuck Barnes up!!!

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I knew people were under seeding us. People didn't think we could get a 7 seed with 2 wins in the Big 12 tournament. We would have probably been a 6 at worst or 5. 

Baylor game in Waco probably guarantees a 6 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea but actually none of this matters. Let’s fuck Barnes up!!!

I think we are the only one that care about Barnes, the players give zero billion fox, which is good since maybe they will focus on first round. If the UT vs ut game does happen, Barnes will be shooting sparks out of his 10000 PSI sphincter tone ass. Should be fun to watch. There will be plenty of seasons going forward in the SEc to develop a “rivalry”.

Edited by El Squared
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I knew people were under seeding us. People didn't think we could get a 7 seed with 2 wins in the Big 12 tournament. We would have probably been a 6 at worst or 5. 

All the metrics has us in the Top 20-25. That's a 6/7 seed line. It played out this season. In other seasons, we have been screwed, notably the season Florida got a 2-seed over us, and we got seeded as a 4, which lost to Arizona in Round 2, when the official thought 3 was 5.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

99-00?  Rick Barnes. 

08-09?  Rich Barnes. 

13-24?  Richard Barnes. 

Also that is playing to your seed two out of three times so I’m not sure what the point is. 

2 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

okay, just to remind everybody here, the March Madness gods have most likely met by now, and #1 on their list is that Texas deserves some reparations for last year's 2nd half debacle, when only the refs outright 100% refusal to make a call against the other team resulted in the Texas loss.   

We are winning 2 games. 

Dude.  We are big.  And Evil.

Evil.

/ashcroft

I’m really excited about this draw. Terry could end up playing one or two games against high quality coaches. If he beats them, then maybe it’s a statement about Terry’s long term potential. If he loses, maybe it’s a statement about Terry’s long term potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

All the metrics has us in the Top 20-25. That's a 6/7 seed line. It played out this season. In other seasons, we have been screwed, notably the season Florida got a 2-seed over us, and we got seeded as a 4, which lost to Arizona in Round 2, when the official thought 3 was 5.

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2011.htm

We had an average 2.6 seed across all the projections that year, and got stuck with the worst 4-seed. Still can't believe that happened. Florida jumping us due to Chandler Parsons' star power was bad enough, but Syracuse and Purdue as well? Utter BS.

• Rage+1 1